Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Basebf555 posted:

This reminds me, I have a question to ask about the October thread. I was having some fun finding little gifs to post along with each of the challenges but then I realized that maybe it would be kinda annoying for some people to have like 15 gifs on a single page? Especially considering it's the first page so people might need to go back to reference it?

How much of a thing is that? Would people rather just skip the gifs to avoid loading/data issues? It sounds like a dumb thing to waste time thinking about but I don't want people to be annoyed every time they need to go back and look at the list of challenges.

I consult the OP pretty constantly for challenge rules and I don’t think single-digit numbers of animated gifs will affect people too badly. The thread in general is mildly image-heavy because many/most reviews contain a poster or screenshot, and people like sharing those in general.

Unless you go hog-wild or have really poorly optimized gifs, they shouldn’t be that substantial a difference. If you’re trying to load the thread on your phone while hiking, you’re already gonna have enough problems that +/-3 gifs should be negligible.

Also very excited for the challenge. If there’s random scut work I can help with, I’m happy to. Thanks for running this year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

Also very excited for the challenge. If there’s random scut work I can help with, I’m happy to. Thanks for running this year!

Thanks for the offer, it's appreciated. I'm gonna do my best to keep up with the tallies of the challenges each poster has completed as the month goes on so that there isn't a lot of counting to do at the end.

I hope everyone will be generous and forgiving with me though, this is definitely a new experience for all of us because Fran did such a good job for so many years.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Thanks for the offer, it's appreciated. I'm gonna do my best to keep up with the tallies of the challenges each poster has completed as the month goes on so that there isn't a lot of counting to do at the end.

I hope everyone will be generous and forgiving with me though, this is definitely a new experience for all of us because Fran did such a good job for so many years.

keeping up with who is participating, who has met the goals, etc is definitely the most time consuming part but it's not bad if you stay on top of it as you go. Don't do what I did my first year and get way behind with tracking and then have to spend like a full day going through the posts at the end of the month.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

oh poo poo

https://twitter.com/BDisgusting/status/1704171322069102930

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

The first was pretty decent. Be interesting to see a sequel.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It better have a time-stopping ghost grandpa or I’m not interested. :colbert:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Gonna be a lot of disappointed people searching for and watching "Troll 2"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So tired of all these remakes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I liked Troll but it's kinda hard to imagine what they could do in a sequel to keep it interesting. Is there another Scandinavian mythical creature the Troll can duke it out with?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Troll v Grendel

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Troll v Santa: Dawn of Justice

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Troll 2: Wrath of The Yule Lads

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Basebf555 posted:

I liked Troll but it's kinda hard to imagine what they could do in a sequel to keep it interesting. Is there another Scandinavian mythical creature the Troll can duke it out with?

Troll 2 is a trip to Iceland to find their horrific Christmas-themed creatures:

quote:

Grýla, a giantess with an appetite for the flesh of mischievous children, whom she cooks in a large pot. Her husband Leppalúði is lazy and mostly stays at home in their cave.
The Yule Cat is a huge and vicious cat who lurks about the snowy countryside during Christmas time (Yule) and eats people who have not received any new clothes to wear before Christmas Eve.
The Yule Lads are the sons of Grýla and Leppalúði. They are a group of 13 mischievous pranksters who steal from or harass the population and all have descriptive names that convey their favorite way of harassing.[1] They come to town one by one during the last 13 nights before Yule. They leave small gifts in shoes that children have placed on window sills, but if the child has been disobedient they instead leave a rotten potato in the shoe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_Christmas_folklore

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Phy posted:

From Dusk Till Dawn: In a movie full of murderous crooks and evil vampires, the scariest thing in 2023 is Tarantino getting to blatantly indulge in his foot fetish onscreen.
I will defend this because if you have the chance to write a scene that boils down to "Salma Hayek dances in her underwear and then pours tequila into your mouth down her nude leg," you write that scene.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's like that time Jon Favreau wrote "and then the protagonist, played by me, is pursued romantically by both Scarlett Johansson and Sofia Vergara". Sometimes you shoot for the moon and it works.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I recently watched all three Children of the Corn movies (1984, 2009, 2020) and they're all hilarious for different reasons. And some of the same reasons.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I recently watched all three Children of the Corn movies (1984, 2009, 2020) and they're all hilarious for different reasons. And some of the same reasons.

Ha. “All three” he said.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Meaning all three filmed versions of the original story.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Meaning all three filmed versions of the original story.

there's also the 1983 short that predates the first feature length adaptation. been meaning to watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMzFS-Ue7xs

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I didn't find out about that one until after I watched them, I'll still give it a shot.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the original short story is so awesome, i dunno how faithful that short adaptation is but i've always thought a faithful short adaptation would be sick.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I love that they pad out the running time of the '84 one by just having the dude wander around silently looking for Linda Hamilton for loving ever.

EDIT: I'm most interested in seeing the "Oops, we hit a kid" scene because the others decided to make it funny for some reason.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Count Thrashula posted:

Gonna be a lot of disappointed people searching for and watching "Troll 2"

You mean a lot of very happy people.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the original short story is so awesome, i dunno how faithful that short adaptation is but i've always thought a faithful short adaptation would be sick.

yeah it rips. Night Shift had a bunch of really memorable shorts in there and I’m not surprised to see they’ve made movies out of, like, all of them

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I'm actually interested in seeing how this plays out.

https://corporate.universaldestinat...e-to-las-vegas/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Universals haunted houses are the highlight of every year for me. They’re just so detailed and fun. Not remotely scary though

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh cool there's just a section of Tubi that's Cult Hits and its all good films.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Hollismason posted:

Oh cool there's ... Tubi ... and its all good films.

Yep, Tubi's pretty great alright!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Troll 2: Don't Piss On Hospitality

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

CelticPredator posted:

Universals haunted houses are the highlight of every year for me. They’re just so detailed and fun. Not remotely scary though

I’ve always wanted to go to one but haven’t been able to make the trip. The closet I came was being the park for a tech conference event right at the end of September maybe 5 years ago and getting to see all the sweet Killer Klowns stuff and some other decorations set up outside, but none of the attractions were actually open.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I was told that Frankenstein vs. Baragon was terrible, and maybe it is, but also, it owns, I've been misled all these years

Edit: I'd like help with a project! I'm trying to make a list of Japanese films featuring classic Universal/Hammer style monsters. Your old-school style Draculas and Franks and Gillmen. Not any old vampire movies, specifically ones like those!

So far: Universal Monsters in Japan https://boxd.it/pgu8W

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 20, 2023

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

CelticPredator posted:

I remember going to the one at Universal Hollywood back in 2016.

It's on Universal's actual studio lot and it's clear they got their costume and make-up department to work on all the scare actors. I was actually impressed at how good the work was right before jumping.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I don't know if any of you play pinball, but I came across this beauty, made by a company called SpookyPinball:

Note that there is a giant kitchen knife where you launch the ball from the plunger:

Tragically one of the ball traps is jammed up so the machine is turned off and I was unable to either play or listen to synthesized Carpenter goodness. Apparently it has a "make your neighborhood shake" nuclear car stereo inside to do the music and sounds.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

That's sick as hell!!!!!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Giev

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I suddenly want to play pinball.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I suddenly want to play pinball.

For 9000 dollars you can!

https://www.greatamericanpinball.com/product-page/halloween-pinball-machine-ce-edition-deposit-only

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-RpfCzCKAM&t=326s

Sample gameplay

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
That’s a nice pinball machine but you’re glossing over Champion Pub right next to it. That’s a top tier machine that I don’t encounter very often

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I was told that Frankenstein vs. Baragon was terrible, and maybe it is, but also, it owns, I've been misled all these years

Edit: I'd like help with a project! I'm trying to make a list of Japanese films featuring classic Universal/Hammer style monsters. Your old-school style Draculas and Franks and Gillmen. Not any old vampire movies, specifically ones like those!

So far: Universal Monsters in Japan https://boxd.it/pgu8W
I think you might have comments locked on the list, but https://boxd.it/72yW is the sequel to The Invisible Man Appears. Well, loose sequel, in the way that most of the Invisible [Noun] films are barely connected.