Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CainFortea posted:

some book reading mega nerds might speak awkwardly

But enough about Something Awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

IcePhoenix posted:

I just figured that's because she assumed he would be too dumb to follow along otherwise (she's right)

:hmmyes:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rarity posted:

more Avi reading off from an Aiel factbook

But enough about the book

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The only issue I have with the eidetic memory scene is, what has it to do with what we saw? Did I miss a part where it says that the Brown sister replicated two bits of Sheriam's writing or something? Couldn't you put down the shakiness to the Brown sister in that case? When I saw that scene I assumed that the bits of writing they were examining were actually written by Sheriam and not replicated by the Brown sister but I didn't know why she felt the need to mention her eidetic memory.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Eighties ZomCom posted:

The only issue I have with the eidetic memory scene is, what has it to do with what we saw? Did I miss a part where it says that the Brown sister replicated two bits of Sheriam's writing or something? Couldn't you put down the shakiness to the Brown sister in that case? When I saw that scene I assumed that the bits of writing they were examining were actually written by Sheriam and not replicated by the Brown sister but I didn't know why she felt the need to mention her eidetic memory.
They don't have photocopiers. And she couldn't just take the book or rip out a page of the book to examine later.
Instead, she looked at the various entries made in the book and then drew exact copies of the entries for our trio and other entries. Those copies/extracts drawn from memory are the ones Verin examined.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

But just because the Brown sister has eidetic memory doesn't mean she'll be able to perfectly replicate what she saw? Unless she was using the One Power I guess.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The browns making copies of books is part of their duties.
They are the librarians, researchers and bureaucrats of the tower.

How they introduced that sister was very clunky and forced, but I don't think anything they did wasn't in keeping with the books lore.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Red - theater kids
Blue - the cool kids
Yellow - the actual cool kids
Green - jocks
Brown - dorks
Gray - debate club
White - nerds
Black - religious kids

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Rarity posted:

Funny that we're talking about clunky dialogue and it's about the Brown Ajah and not that one scene between Perrin and Aviendha that was less a conversation and more Avi reading off from an Aiel factbook

There is nothing that Aiel like better than explaining ji'e'toh to nosy wetlanders, despite them supposedly hating wetlanders.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

sweet geek swag posted:

There is nothing that Aiel like better than explaining ji'e'toh to nosy wetlanders, despite them supposedly hating wetlanders.

Someone was wrong on the internet in the wetlands, that's reason enough.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ManSedan posted:

Red - theater kids
Blue - the cool kids
Green - jocks
Brown - dorks
Gray - debate club
White - nerds
Black - religious kids

Swap red and blue and spot on.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
But the theatre kids are the cool kids

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Red are hall monitors

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
How do non book readers feel about the various characters? What sense do you have of Rand, Moraine, Nynaeve, Egwene, Elayne, Perrin, Mat, etc? Are there particular characters you like, dislike, love or hate or love to hate? Or does everyone just feel blah? Who's resonating and who isn't?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How do non book readers feel about the various characters? What sense do you have of Rand, Moraine, Nynaeve, Egwene, Elayne, Perrin, Mat, etc? Are there particular characters you like, dislike, love or hate or love to hate? Or does everyone just feel blah? Who's resonating and who isn't?

I'm working through the show with someone who went in completely blind with no knowledge of anything regarding the series and we're on 2x03 right now and every character seems like they're hitting the mark with him. Any time anyone comes on screen he can instantly just crack a joke that's completely relevant to whoever's on screen at that time's characterization and arc, and after were we done with 2x02 he installed called Selene as being Lanfear, albeit not in those exact words or context because he currently doesn't know about Lanfear, but we're getting there. But he said immediately, "This lady is from the previous era and she's banging Rand because she's got unfinished business with Lews Therin and this is as close as she's gonna get."

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
How was Jordan allowed to get away with naming someone with the title daughter of the night Selene.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ManSedan posted:

Red - theater kids
Blue - the cool kids
Green - jocks
Brown - dorks
Gray - debate club
White - nerds
Black - religious kids

Green - bastketball
Yellow - volleyball
Blue - soccer
Brown - band
Gray - track
White - tennis
Black - color guard
Red - field hockey

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

Green - bastketball
Yellow - volleyball
Blue - soccer
Brown - band
Gray - track
White - tennis
Black - color guard
Red - field hockey

Green - Motley Crue
Yellow - Queen
Blue - Rage Against the Machine
Brown - Rush
White - Tool
Black - Rammstein
Red - Pussy Riot

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

blue be like "hey, we're those that work forces"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

i say swears online posted:

blue be like "hey, we're those that work forces"

Yeah, but the Reds are those who burn crosses.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Flowing Thot posted:

How was Jordan allowed to get away with naming someone with the title daughter of the night Selene.

The Wheel turns endlessly and Randland exists in our past, or our future.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Flowing Thot posted:

Jordan often has a yolo-esque approach to such things

see also naming loial literally "loyal"

Or having Lan(celot) and *two* Merlins show up to save young Al'Thor

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 19, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Jordan often has a yolo-esque approach to such things

see also naming loial literally "loyal"

Or having Lan(celot) and *two* Merlins show up to save young Al'Thor

Two Merlins, one of whom works for and is loving a third Merlin and comes from House (da)Mordred :eng101:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
And his girlfriend is [e]Guin e'vere

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 19, 2023

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
One of the hero's two sidekick friends is literally just named with a conflation of Merry/Pippin

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Rarity posted:

One of the hero's two sidekick friends is literally just named with a conflation of Merry/Pippin

Is it? Always assumed he was named for the god Perun.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I can't never imagine them as a trio of frat boys on a roadtrip: Randall, Matt and Perry

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

has the dark one's name been revealed? iirc it is revealed v early on in the first book, like the prologue even, but i can't remember if the show did the same

asking because the name of (no plot spoiler besides the spelling of the name itself and irl cultural context) Syai'tan is basically the malay / indonesian word for devil, which greatly amuses me

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaitan

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i just want to say that the way that dude's head popped off still loving slays me

you go, lanfear

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The violence in the show has been very funny. Its very PG-13 90% of the time and then suddenly someone gets skewered through the mouth or head popped off.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The head thing gets by on pg-13 cause it doesn't actually get popped off.

It gets dusted and there's no blood.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Artelier posted:

has the dark one's name been revealed? iirc it is revealed v early on in the first book, like the prologue even, but i can't remember if the show did the same

asking because the name of (no plot spoiler besides the spelling of the name itself and irl cultural context) Syai'tan is basically the malay / indonesian word for devil, which greatly amuses me

Also Shai'tan is straight up the Islamic term for it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Also Shai'tan is straight up the Islamic term for it.

Yeah, it's literally where we get the name Satan from. We Anglos were just too lazy to pronounce it fully.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, it's literally where we get the name Satan from. We Anglos were just too lazy to pronounce it fully.

Nah, Satan comes from the Hebrew word שָׂטָן, transliterated as "Satan". Shaitan is a cognate of Satan, and isn't actually The Devil/Satan...that's Iblis, who is a Shaitan. It's a bit nuanced.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
What do the baddies want? What's the world look like under their rule? "Broken?" Would it just be like having a different king and you have to put up with Trollocs gobbling up your neighbors, or what? The existing kingdoms don't seem to do much for the peasantry, or even the nobility

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Vim Fuego posted:

What do the baddies want? What's the world look like under their rule? "Broken?" Would it just be like having a different king and you have to put up with Trollocs gobbling up your neighbors, or what? The existing kingdoms don't seem to do much for the peasantry, or even the nobility

They haven't really gotten into it beyond that Ishamael is a True Believer and wants to Stop The Wheel.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Vim Fuego posted:

Dana the Darkfriend from season 1 wants time to stop; literal nothingness is preferable to the tortured grinding existence she lives in that podunk mining town. Both Suroth and Liandrin seem to think they will eventually be placed in positions of authority over the other woman. So you have two examples there of what the bad guys/gals want: nihilism and power.

There’s more information by this point in the books, unsurprisingly, but I think the above covers what the show has given us.

Edit: forgot a third one. Padan Fain just wants to murderhobo everyone and swagger wherever he drat well pleases.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 19, 2023

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Lanfear just wants to gently caress her ex which hell same. Wish he would grow his hair out though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's pretty much what's slowly being revealed. The Forsaken all have their own individual interpretations of what they're getting out of it. We heard Ishamael and Lanfear batting around their respective ideas in this past one.