Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Nobody like piss filter until piss filter gone smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I always stood up for it! I'm one of those freaks who doesn't mind heavy colour grading.

But man, taking the filter out and replacing it with nothing when the levels were designed for it was a bad look.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I knocked the amber filter when the game first came out, but seeing the mod that restores it to the DC edition made me realized Human Revolution uses that filter probably as well as Traffic.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 10, 2024

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

aniviron posted:

I always stood up for it! I'm one of those freaks who doesn't mind heavy colour grading.

Same.

Also bloom and motion blur :getin:

I mean yeah when I'm playing a competitive shooter where I wanna see what's going on I'm not above plunging the graphics settings to the point of ridiculousness, but in a normal game I'm taking slow, especially if the art director designed it with that in mind, I truly don't understand why people dislike these kinds of stylization.

But then I have strong opinions about game art purity in general. I have yet to see a graphics mod for Deus Ex, or like, any retro game, that I actually think makes it look better rather than just weird x256 Minecraft Texture Syndrome where you have a ridiculous mismatch of texture and model quality. Maybe this is a sketchier argument for a Deus Ex 1 remaster than like, the Halo one, since we were never dealing with an aesthetic design that blew anyone's socks off to begin with, but I think pretty universally the people concepting out and designing their game during its initial creation have better visions (and often talent) than people coming in and rehashing it years later.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah basically agreed 100%. I played a lot of competitive games and sure you do whatever you gotta to see things a tenth of a second faster in them but that's part of the joy of a singleplayer game, the only winning is if you enjoy the game and luxuriating in a sumptuous aesthetic is definitely enjoyment, I don't give a poo poo if it makes it hard to see.

I will say that from time to time you do get mods that make games look better but it's pretty rare, and when it happens it's either something which completely overhauls the game or something which is very very narrow in scope. While Revision isn't my cup of tea, at least it's cohesive, but dropping Revision's models into DX looks terrible. On the other hand, mods which really pay attention to the original art constraints can shine; the Lady Denton mod does a great job sticking to the original art's poly counts and texel density. Most mods lack the perspective that an art director's role normally plays in game dev; it's not enough to make good art, it has to feel unified.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I thought the Turok re-releases looked great. But they were pretty much just the original art plus high resolution and motion blur iirc?

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
ive been an advocate of the piss filter since the game came out & i feel vindicated by history

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

VERY COOL MAN posted:

ive been an advocate of the piss filter since the game came out & i feel vindicated by history

There was a strong brown filter affinity in games and movies back then. I still wanna know what it was but I never thought it's bad. Nowadays everything is cyan/magenta CGA 80s thing but it always was about how it's executed.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

No wait I got it. They were doing the complementary color thing

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Vic posted:

There was a strong brown filter affinity in games and movies back then. I still wanna know what it was but I never thought it's bad. Nowadays everything is cyan/magenta CGA 80s thing but it always was about how it's executed.

totally, late 00s into early 10s was maximum brown/grey/whatever filters to look realistic or gritty or whatever, but i think what dxhr does is in service of a different enough aesthetic that it works

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

VERY COOL MAN posted:

totally, late 00s into early 10s was maximum brown/grey/whatever filters to look realistic or gritty or whatever, but i think what dxhr does is in service of a different enough aesthetic that it works

Yeah it works, DXHR is supposed to be evocative of the enlightenment, so of course the sun is yellow and we're doing the Icarus thing because we're playing god etc.

I unironically like it but I'm still kinda mad about the prequels being so stupid about the refrences.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The art direction in the Jensen games is so good.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

The art direction in the Jensen games is so good.
I remember the lead art director defending the weird renaissance clothes on the grounds a definite style would age better than hyperrealism, and boy was he right. That guy is peak Montréal and I hope he’s still with the devs.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I would legit buy some of those jackets and vests if I could find quality pieces based on them. The elaborate, angular dresses also look great on the women. It's too bad fashion didn't go in that direction instead of point less attention grabbing garbage and having streetwear making dressing like a slob and athleisure like someone who goes to planet fitness the height of fashion.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shumagorath posted:

I remember the lead art director defending the weird renaissance clothes on the grounds a definite style would age better than hyperrealism, and boy was he right. That guy is peak Montréal and I hope he’s still with the devs.

Oh yeah. He knows his poo poo. It reminds me of how Babylon 5's space scenes still look great despite being made on like 386s or whatever the gently caress. Strong design overcomes technical limitations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think B5's space scenes wind up sufficing more on the incredible writing carrying the mediocre visuals, so even if it's not always a visual treat I'm so invested that it doesn't matter - which is very relevant to the first Deus Ex.

But yeah, art design always outshines graphical detail. There are games 20, 30 years old which people still adore on their looks, and rightly so.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The only downside to the art direction was the lack of npc variations. Letitia, a woman who dug through the trash, was dressed the same way as the women working in the techbro company.

Remember Letitia? I remember Letitia.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I remember her voice acting that's for sure

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Momomo posted:

The only downside to the art direction was the lack of npc variations. Letitia, a woman who dug through the trash, was dressed the same way as the women working in the techbro company.

Remember Letitia? I remember Letitia.

The comments from the Director's Cut are basically "What the gently caress were we thinking???"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Gynovore posted:

The comments from the Director's Cut are basically "What the gently caress were we thinking???"

I appreciated that there were a number of those comments that were just "man we really hosed this up, this sucks. sorry dudes"

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Grand Fromage posted:

I appreciated that there were a number of those comments that were just "man we really hosed this up, this sucks. sorry dudes"

There were others?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Gynovore posted:

There were others?

It's been a long time since I played it but I remember multiple. Not like oh boy this was offensive the way the Latetia one was, but just talking about how they screwed something up in development.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Ahahahaha I have to play that mode now.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah, they're very candid about their mistakes and in areas where their reach exceeded their grasp, but you can tell they loved the series and wanted to do right by it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Grand Fromage posted:

It's been a long time since I played it but I remember multiple. Not like oh boy this was offensive the way the Latetia one was, but just talking about how they screwed something up in development.

Ah ok. I don't think there were any other really racist bits.

In the far northern part of Detroit there's a 'homeboy' who will sell you weapons, he's kind of a stereotype but not hugely.

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
I haven't played Deus Ex 1 since like 2007 and kind of want to play it now. I've heard a lot of GMDX but I don't know if it's too much changing or what. Does GMDX keep the authentic experience? Or is the original with some new render the way to go?

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Pooperscooper posted:

I haven't played Deus Ex 1 since like 2007 and kind of want to play it now. I've heard a lot of GMDX but I don't know if it's too much changing or what. Does GMDX keep the authentic experience? Or is the original with some new render the way to go?

GMDX is supposed to overhaul a lot of mechanical stuff. If you're looking for rather minimal changes/quality of life updates, I think Biomod's the way to go if you want to mod it. There should be some info about getting better rendering in the OP.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
GMDX is a lot of fun but it's substantially different. Maybe true to the spirit of the game, but the differences are large. Shifter and Biomod are much more to the effect of vanilla with tweaks.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Things I didn't have on my 2023 bingo card:

https://www.pcgamer.com/14-years-later-the-deus-ex-mod-thats-a-better-sequel-than-invisible-war-gets-a-massive-overhaul/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Huh. I tried playing it long ago and bounced off real hard, but I guess this is a good chance to try again.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I should give it another chance just for the gameplay. Try to see not being a part of that community 20 years ago and not understanding all the dumb in jokes as part of the charm.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It was also like a really niche community within the Deus Ex community, I never interacted with them and I was plenty active within the Deus Ex multiplayer community (real DCSB hours tap if u up)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Well dip me in chocolate and call me a Mars bar

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Holy poo poo, I can't freekin' believe that a 14 year old mod for a 24 year old game got a huge update. Especially since the game was conceived by the Gamespy forums, which vanished several years ago.

A dude posted:

Huh. I tried playing it long ago and bounced off real hard, but I guess this is a good chance to try again.

I can understand not liking all the OMG INTERNET HUMOR LOLOLOL!! (I mean seriously, one item is 'lollerskates') But still the gameplay is rock solid.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm trying to run Deus Ex GOTY but it always crashes when I finish the setup. I'm trying the fixes from the first page of the thread, but nothing seems to be working. Specifically the "Deus EXE" launcher.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Gynovore posted:

I can understand not liking all the OMG INTERNET HUMOR LOLOLOL!! (I mean seriously, one item is 'lollerskates') But still the gameplay is rock solid.

Yeah I just don't use the terribly rendered joke weapons and it's mostly a fun experience. Time for another playthrough!

Grimthwacker posted:

I'm trying to run Deus Ex GOTY but it always crashes when I finish the setup. I'm trying the fixes from the first page of the thread, but nothing seems to be working. Specifically the "Deus EXE" launcher.

Is that Kentie's launcher? I don't think you can launch from installation, you have to run the exe after installation completes.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Is that Kentie's launcher? I don't think you can launch from installation, you have to run the exe after installation completes.

Yeah, I can't even start the game properly from the initial setup post installation; it just crashes right after launch. I honestly have no idea what's wrong.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

When you try to run it again do you get the safe mode launcher that lets you change your renderer, etc? Might be worth checking through your options there.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I got everything working, I just have poor reading comprehension.

I've only finished Liberty Island so I can't say how much more GMDX adds to things but I appreciate the quality of life upgrades. I also spent more time around the Statue's perimeter and I found a small area I didn't know about with a clip and laser sight upgrade, perfect for the 10 mil; it certainly came in handy when I triggered a bunch of guards in the Statue's roof area. I don't like how you have to toggle the sight on again every time you reequip the weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Played through PDX last night in TNM and it's a great encapsulation of what's good and bad about the mod. Having these little trap rooms with a crazed AI after you? Great! Having that crazed AI do stupid movie quotes while taunting you? Bad!