Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

My boss is now requiring all additions or removals for every Team in the organization and I don't know how to say "stop loving making everything go thru you it's a terrible idea" in corporate but I'm also burnt out enough to not care about the impending trainwreck

Bus Problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

jaegerx posted:

Does sickening work for you? or did work for you?

Would anyone ever know?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

$publicjob.tiff

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Goddamnit, I had slacked on testing the conference rooms and the one time they've been used in the last like 2 weeks they didn't turn on. Apologized to legal setup and put in a MWF testing schedule and now wondering if I should let my boss know after I smoothed it over with Chief Councils assistant.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

jaegerx posted:

Does sickening work for you? or did work for you?

Who DOESN'T sickening work for?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Pretty sure not a job that sent him a tower PC.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

LionYeti posted:

Goddamnit, I had slacked on testing the conference rooms and the one time they've been used in the last like 2 weeks they didn't turn on. Apologized to legal setup and put in a MWF testing schedule and now wondering if I should let my boss know after I smoothed it over with Chief Councils assistant.

Broadly speaking having a boss approach you with something you hosed up with is ALWAYS worse than going to your boss saying 'Hey I hosed up here'

And if you let them know before they find out especially by another dept like that, they can already have an answer ready and prevents some amount of blindsiding

And makes you more trustworthy because you will admit mistakes rather than try and save face, the latter of which usually cost companies more when employees do

Basically yes yes you should imo

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Justin Credible posted:

Broadly speaking having a boss approach you with something you hosed up with is ALWAYS worse than going to your boss saying 'Hey I hosed up here'

I agree firmly. "I hosed up, here's what I did to make it right," says you are a committed professional. "I hosed up, I hoped you wouldn't notice," puts a bad spin on it no matter what else you did to mend fences.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
“Hmm that’s odd, worked the last time.”
Always deflect on answering exactly when the last time was.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I agree firmly. "I hosed up, here's what I did to make it right," says you are a committed professional. "I hosed up, I hoped you wouldn't notice," puts a bad spin on it no matter what else you did to mend fences.

It also makes your boss look better if someone comes to them and they can say, 'Yeah X already told me'. Helps the appearance of a well-managed department staffed with competent people.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Its better when you gently caress up but didnt know you hosed up until your boss lays down all the gently caress ups you did at your review 6 months later.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

GreenNight posted:

Its better when you gently caress up but didnt know you hosed up until your boss lays down all the gently caress ups you did at your review 6 months later.

Wow that's healthy management right there

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I loved it, especially when it's poo poo I didn't even remember, cause who remembers random noise from 6 months ago? Tough to defend yourself. Glad I'm not there anymore.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

At an old, non-IT job, I applied for a supervisor position that reported to the director of my department, and she invited me for an interview and spent the entire "interview" explaining why I wasn't suited for the role based on the things I hosed up while working there

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

GreenNight posted:

I loved it, especially when it's poo poo I didn't even remember, cause who remembers random noise from 6 months ago? Tough to defend yourself. Glad I'm not there anymore.

Depending on how badly you need the job, refuse to sign the review, call your HR rep and / or your bosses' boss, and make a stink about how you were not advised that any of this fell below expectations or given any corrective feedback. Make being a lovely boss difficult. It won't keep you from getting canned if he wants you canned, but it will increase the likelihood that he gets canned with you. Or, hell, maybe he'll actually learn.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Gotcha but overall... that sync agent is going to have access to a lot of things. Even if worked a different way, if that resource is compromised you are still is a bad, bad place. Granted, it still makes it harder for the attacker.

Way back when we originally set up Okta they basically wanted to just give the service account domain admin. Lmfao hell no, it got very restricted write access to the regular user and contractor OUs, and a specific sub-OU for the groups we generate with Okta rules and push down to AD.

It only gets read to the elevated admin accounts OU so we can import them for sso to AAD.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

johnny park posted:

At an old, non-IT job, I applied for a supervisor position that reported to the director of my department, and she invited me for an interview and spent the entire "interview" explaining why I wasn't suited for the role based on the things I hosed up while working there

That is unbelievably lovely, and feels like it could be an SNL sketch.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

It really sucked! I reported it to HR on the basis that it was wildly inappropriate, and the director in question left the company some months afterwards. Hopefully it was related

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
The the goon that suggested we try screen connect (the fool?) thank you it's so much better than the other stuff we've tried. Assuming it doesn't massively poo poo the bed before the end of the free trial we're probably gonna go with them. Cheaper, faster, and prettier.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

The the goon that suggested we try screen connect (the fool?) thank you it's so much better than the other stuff we've tried. Assuming it doesn't massively poo poo the bed before the end of the free trial we're probably gonna go with them. Cheaper, faster, and prettier.

wasn't me

if I remember the conversation correctly, I just bad mouthed teamviewer a lot but didn't have a good alternative

glad you found something that works, screen connect is fine

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

johnny park posted:

It really sucked! I reported it to HR on the basis that it was wildly inappropriate, and the director in question left the company some months afterwards. Hopefully it was related

I mean it’s pretty rare for people to be unprofessional like that just the once ime

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Who DOESN'T sickening work for?

This reminded me I hadn't seen him post in a while and yeah, apparently other than a few posts in the infosec thread he hasn't been posting in SHSC in at least a month, which is unfortunate. One of the better thread regulars, unlike SOME jaegerx' I could mention. Posters I could mention. I meant posters.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

It was me but in all fairness I am a fool too.

I’m already looking into my next project to start mid next year; I’ll have 50 locations each with their own phone system contracts supporting 3-5 phones each. So basically 50 DIDs and 200 phones total.

I’m estimating that we are currently paying around $70k a year for basic telephony services, which just seems like a lot to me? I’ve started looking into a hosted 3cx solution and it looks promising so far but I’d really like to get that cost down and consolidate so I don’t have to deal with 20 different providers over 50 individual contracts.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Cyks posted:

So basically 50 DIDs and 200 phones total.

currently paying around $70k a year

:psypop::psypop::psypop::psypop::psypop::psypop:

No wonder traditional telcos are doing so well, there are presumably still tons of companies falling for their poo poo. Almost six thousand a month for 50 lines worth of service? What the gently caress.

Out of curiosity I checked and 50 numbers at Flowroute with E911 enabled (so $100/mo recurring base charges) would allow you 1,140,000 minutes of domestic calling per month for that $5800/mo spend. I'm gonna assume that each phone (and that's each phone, not DID) is not making 5,700 minutes - 95 hours - of calls a month, unless you're a literal call center.

I mean I didn't factor in the hosted 3CX license but that's relatively cheap assuming you can probably get away with a 16 sim call license (maybe 32, once again unless you're an actual call center you really don't tend to need that many simultaneous calls).

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Justin Credible posted:

And if you let them know before they find out especially by another dept like that, they can already have an answer ready and prevents some amount of blindsiding

And makes you more trustworthy because you will admit mistakes rather than try and save face, the latter of which usually cost companies more when employees do

Basically yes yes you should imo

Yeah you were right, I was typing out a thing about it when he scheduled a meeting and dressed me down. One of those stressed out things sounding worse to a third party then either person who was actually involved took it. Got the come to Jesus it can't happen again talk.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

People lose their poo poo when phones don't work, so as much as it's fine to shop around I would try and steer clear of grabbing a trunk and 3CX and building it out yourself for 50 locations and 250 handsets, because then you're the phone guy.

Zoom Phone looks alright, and they publish their prices: https://www.zoom.us/pricing/zoom-phone

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 20, 2023

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

LionYeti posted:

Yeah you were right, I was typing out a thing about it when he scheduled a meeting and dressed me down. One of those stressed out things sounding worse to a third party then either person who was actually involved took it. Got the come to Jesus it can't happen again talk.

Makes sense. In your shoes literally the first thing I would have done once I didn't have to pay attention to the situation anymore would be contacting my boss and giving the heads-up. I imagine inter departmental politics are playing into it too to where the actual situation wasn't that big a deal but the loss of face is the bigger concern.

When the supe/boss can immediately come back with 'Yep, already handled that' in response to when someone else brings it up to them, they seem to really like that because it makes them look very competent and on the ball.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

SyNack Sassimov posted:

:psypop::psypop::psypop::psypop::psypop::psypop:

No wonder traditional telcos are doing so well, there are presumably still tons of companies falling for their poo poo. Almost six thousand a month for 50 lines worth of service? What the gently caress.

Out of curiosity I checked and 50 numbers at Flowroute with E911 enabled (so $100/mo recurring base charges) would allow you 1,140,000 minutes of domestic calling per month for that $5800/mo spend. I'm gonna assume that each phone (and that's each phone, not DID) is not making 5,700 minutes - 95 hours - of calls a month, unless you're a literal call center.

I mean I didn't factor in the hosted 3CX license but that's relatively cheap assuming you can probably get away with a 16 sim call license (maybe 32, once again unless you're an actual call center you really don't tend to need that many simultaneous calls).

Thanks for confirming. My boss seems to think what we pay is reasonable.

Very simple call flows; basically, person calls the main number or gets connected from a marketing number, all the phones ring for 4 times, and if nobody answers it gets forwarded to a different number (third party ticketing system). No need for sms, voice mails, call center features, soft phones, or any of that.

One of the locations is currently paying over $300/mo for five phones (that contract ends in November). Another has 5 lines they pay from Comcast Business, but only one is used, and all it does is immediately forward to GoTo where they pay for an extra 5 lines. Roughly $300/mo for that location too.

And no, I’m not counting analog lines for elevators and alarms and all that.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

People lose their poo poo when phones don't work, so as much as it's fine to shop around I would try and steer clear of grabbing a trunk and 3CX and building it out yourself for 50 locations and 250 handsets, because then you're the phone guy.

Zoom Phone looks alright, and they publish their prices: https://www.zoom.us/pricing/zoom-phone

I feel like this is much less true than it used to be. Sure there are traditional offices where it still matters, but for the most part these days people will just switch to cell (and a lot prefer it in the first place). Our only customers who really get persnickety about phones are the ones still running sales lines of whatever sort. Hell, most of our startup customers only have a corporate phone line because it's expected - I just dealt with this trying to get an SSL cert, where the publicly listed phone that Digicert needed to call for org verification, i.e. the org's main phone number, basically only went to a voicemail box and it was a pain in the rear end to make it go to someone (we don't run whatever this is so I was dealing with one of the org engineers to change whatever routing was being done).

Also, being the phone guy with 3CX and Flowroute (or Telnyx, though after the fight between them because Telnyx refused to pay extortion it's slightly more complicated to set up Telnyx trunks with 3CX), really isn't that bad. I'm not saying you should try to be the phone guy - always never be the phone guy - but 3CX administration, especially for the incredibly basic needs Cyks describes, is almost no time a month unless you've got insanely high turnover and are constantly editing extensions. And theoretically those should be synced from 365 anyway, though I haven't checked if the latest update actually fixed the issues with that sync.

Anyway Zoom phone's probably fine, but I wouldn't be that concerned about reliability with SIP trunking - it may not reach the PRI gold standard but the general demands for a lot of companies have changed and the old rule that phones have to work 1000% of the time isn't always true anymore.

edit: and to be clear, I'm having a tough time thinking of the last time we had SIP trunking issues for ANY customer, especially ones that weren't a config problem. Pretty sure the last time I had any headaches around SIP trunking was when VOIP.ms got blown up by repeated DDOS' and we had all of our customers on them because my boss liked how cheap they were. After moving to a combo of Telnyx and Flowroute, I haven't touched trunks since and I barely touch 3CX.

edit2: VVVV yeah or this - honestly we're considering whether to use Teams' PSTN interfacing and phone system functionality, because it will probably work well enough for a good 70% of our customers who don't have any complicated phone needs.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 20, 2023

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I haven’t used a work phone in years. It’s all teams meetings, or calling someone on teams.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My end goal is to move everybody to Teams Phone Mobile

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

My end goal is to move everybody to Teams Phone Mobile

That’s my goal for the HQ. Most employees hate having a physical phone on their desk already. Hell, with exception of a few employees, they never call out from their phone either. All internal comms is over teams.

Unfortunately it just isn’t feasible for our small offices as the staff floats too much between locations. I don’t even want phones assigned to users. Straight up “ring extensions 1,2,3 and 4 every time and whoever answers takes the call.”

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

The Fool posted:

in the before time people would deploy sharepoint onprem

Please don’t remind me

My fetish is Microsoft saying that all on-prem SP is depreciated and won’t work anymore

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For a while I worked one cubicle over from the guy that had to manage our on prem SP and I learned a lot of new curse words in that time.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

my fetish is whatever the gently caress intune is currently called

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

LionYeti posted:

I would tell them to give you a day's notice before the conference room needs to be used so you can be available to assist. Is the equipment so unreliable in these rooms that you have to test 3 times a week?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Vargatron posted:

I would tell them to give you a day's notice before the conference room needs to be used so you can be available to assist. Is the equipment so unreliable in these rooms that you have to test 3 times a week?

No it’s just all execs so meetings are all they do .

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My ideal there is that it should be easy enough for end users to use and that their assistants should test 15 minutes before a meeting and contact IT with issues if it is that important. IT doesn't go and turn on their computers for them.

[edit: unless your job is like, literally A/V specialist or whatever]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding why you got in so much trouble for the conference room malfunction. If it's used constantly, then any issues should apparent and addressed pretty quickly. If they have an important meeting, they should schedule a technician to come by and assist with the startup.

At my job, users can request an IT tech to come by and assist with starting up the AV system. If we're not available at the beginning of the meeting, then we try and schedule time in advance to walk users through the process. There's also laminated instructions in each conference room showing how to use the system.

Having a tech come by 3 times a week just to test the system makes me think the whole thing is held together by tape and popsicle sticks.