Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Does the game really not show total convoy surplus/deficit for the market you're in anywhere if it's not your market? That's pretty weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Staltran posted:

Does the game really not show total convoy surplus/deficit for the market you're in anywhere if it's not your market? That's pretty weird.
As far as I could tell it does not.

Unfortunately I think I discovered this issue too late. My country is going to slide into bankruptcy before I can build the dozens and dozens of ports I need. And to make matters worse the convoy fluctuations are huge one week I've got full market access and the next week there is a 9k deficit in the British market (that I can only check by switching to the UK).

I'm technically a British protectorate so I'm only contributing half my convoys, so I need to build twice as many ports to fix this bizarre fluctuation.

I'm pretty happy with what I ended up building- I started as the US and instantly tried to ban slavery. Turns out winning a Civil War in 1836 is nearly impossible, so I lost, and released New England at the same time, 'cause I really wanted to play a New England game and figured somehow emerging out of a lost Civil War made more sense than just releasing them January 1836 for no reason.

I offered to be a protectorate of the UK for market stability which, in the long run, did not pay off. But it was a great way to build up my industry and population.

I went as imperalistic as I could, grabbing a lot of little things that were a big deal for a country as small as New England. The Niger River Delta was what I poured most of my effort into, but I also grabbed Haiti, Panama (built the Canal), and Hawaii. Eventually I grabbed California from Mexico, which ended up being my biggest prize.

See, I was making an anarchist utopia at the same time as I was doing all this imperialism. I actually got council republic/anarchism/collectivized ownership, as well as women's suffrage and most importantly multiculturalism. Being in the British Market with multiculturalism and California brought back the old days of insane migration growth.

It was a good game! Sure, my army was like 75% Nigerians (multiculturalism meant I could recruit vast armies from my colonial African population) and I kept taking over whatever little scraps of land I could, but it was for their own good 'cause I was bringing them multiculturalism and anarchist egalitarianism!

This is the first big game I've played since they added agitators, and, like I thought, it's a great system for letting you push your country in the direction you want, without feeling too arbitrary. There's a reason these political movements are taking root, but the player has some control over it all.

But then my economy got ruined by all that weird convoy stuff, and I'm nowhere near ready to fight the UK for independence. Oh well. I mostly created the imperial anarchist New England of my dreams, so maybe that's good enough.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Staltran posted:

THAT'S why I have all these notifications

Chrissakes Italy I should have just ignored that obligation

I'm doing fairly well as Persia in my current game, and I think I've done overseas wrong. Wood/hardwood are wildly expensive in my market and I don't really have any more sources to import from, so I figured I'd try and get it from less developed nations. First I stated importing wood from and exporting tools to Burma in hopes that they'd expand their logging industry but that doesn't seem to have done anything. Next I tried puppeting Brunei and Merina Kingdom so that they'd be part of my market and hopefully that'd naturally stimulate things but still no joy. Should I just be conquering when this happens?

Also not sure how to deal with vassals/puppets/dominions properly - is there any way to feed a vassal/puppet? Like if I want to build up a strong Ethiopia, can I make that happen or do I have to conquer and release it? Should I be making a Dominion instead and just hope that they make those choices themselves?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
"Let me build stuff in my puppets" is one of the most requested features for a reason.

It's infuriating when there's some highly-demanded resource someone's just sitting on a huge deposit of, steadfastly refusing to develop it.

I guess you could tag switch to kick things off, but yeah, normally you just have to conquer places.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

My theory is that the ai agenda system is way too heavily weighted to ignore market stuff. Yeah I know your focused on agriculture but ffs wood and coal are at +50 show some flexibility

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

ChickenWing posted:

Also not sure how to deal with vassals/puppets/dominions properly - is there any way to feed a vassal/puppet? Like if I want to build up a strong Ethiopia, can I make that happen or do I have to conquer and release it? Should I be making a Dominion instead and just hope that they make those choices themselves?

no way to feed beyond supporting a relevant patriot uprising in a third party afaik. So yes, if you want a puppet to blob somewhat make them a dominion, but I wouldn't expect much from them regardless. Also be sure to jump in on their plays in the first stage if you wanna do that since otherwise you might just have to watch your dominion get gangpiled by GP haters instead

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Didn’t see it mentioned in the thread yet but it looks like there’s some substantial changes coming to subjects in the dd

quote:

There are now explicit Demands/Plays/Wargoals for increasing or reducing the autonomy of a subject. The autonomy scale for subjects goes Protectorate -> Dominion -> Puppet, Tributary -> Vassal, while a Personal Union can be turned into a Puppet/Vassal/Protectorate/Tributary if autonomy is increased/decreased​
Diplomatic Play/Demand/Wargoal Make Puppet was changed into Make Protectorate​
Diplomatic Play/Demand/Wargoal Make Vassal was changed into Make Tributary​
Diplomatic Play/Demand/Wargoal Make Dominion was removed​
It is now only possible to demand annexation of a Puppet or Vassal​
Diplomatic Demands/Plays that do not involve taking territory (such as changing autonomy or law changes) now generally are not blocked by high relations​

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
is update out yet?!?! im hype

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Same, been refreshing all day in the hope they release early.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

no way to feed beyond supporting a relevant patriot uprising in a third party afaik. So yes, if you want a puppet to blob somewhat make them a dominion, but I wouldn't expect much from them regardless. Also be sure to jump in on their plays in the first stage if you wanna do that since otherwise you might just have to watch your dominion get gangpiled by GP haters instead

Okay, so hypothetically if I want access to the complete resources of the island of borneo I should be puppeting every nation that exists there? Infamy permitting.

Also I assume that generally I want to be vassalizing (or whichever) nations that are discriminated against in my nation? Like, as Persia with racial exclusion and state religion, I don't want to be explicitly conquering anyone outside the middle east, basically?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Currently-currently, it's best just to mappaint or do without. The AI is unpredictably unresponsive about building to the point where you can't even rely on it to dev say wood, never mind late-tech-tree inputs like rubber or oil.

When the ability to request/demand/fund buildings in puppers actually drops, "conquer those you can integrate and vassalize the rest" will make a lot more sense, though I also expect Citizenship law to get a(nother) makeover at some point--it's still got the weird hink between the first four options being "under the law" and Multiculturalism being "in practice", which does weird things to historical USA, RUS→SOV, FRA, and GBR, to say nothing of even almost-historicals. "Integrationist" discriminating pops which are both nonmatching and illiterate (as a proxy for education in the dominant language) might work, and could do some very interesting things simulating the French integration of the regions.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 18, 2023

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

ChickenWing posted:

Okay, so hypothetically if I want access to the complete resources of the island of borneo I should be puppeting every nation that exists there? Infamy permitting.

Also I assume that generally I want to be vassalizing (or whichever) nations that are discriminated against in my nation? Like, as Persia with racial exclusion and state religion, I don't want to be explicitly conquering anyone outside the middle east, basically?

No, if you want to reasonably develop the resources of borneo you want to consolidate the OPMs there because they'll spend their construction points on trying to be autarkic lvl 1 factories with everything and then specialize in some inane poo poo once they're in your market. Puppeting small (but not opm small) to mid size countries is good in the early game when construction points are super scarce and you need every bit of ducat you can find from tribute payments, but falls off hard because the AI cannot develop for jack poo poo. Similarly, discrimination w.r.t. qualifications usually isnt a huge hurdle in staffing the revelant industries from colonialism, especially if you're a bit mindful of some of the PM upgrades that require a lot of higher-end qualifications and dont try to overly industrialize discriminated areas (or be ready to drop tons of universities [not bad] when you do).

tl;dr puppet west african and southeast asian countries in 1836, conquer everything past ~1850

e. the patriot rebellion trick I mentioned would be more useful for saving a bunch of infamy in the case of, idk, egypt getting exiled to just the desert. You swoop in and puppet them for like ~10 infamy, and then back a big misri patriot revolt in ottomans that'd flip all of the valuable land back to your puppet infamy free. Those sort of situations are pretty, uh, situational though and more an opportunity to be exploited and not planned around

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 18, 2023

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gort posted:

Modding
Added 'kill_population' and 'kill_population_in_state' effects

Oh no

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

tl;dr puppet west african and southeast asian countries in 1836, conquer everything past ~1850

okay that's wicked tyvm

begins open palm slamming "annex vassal" button

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
It's less infamy to puppet first and then do another play to annex, right? A bit of a pain and slower, of course, and risks some rear end in a top hat deciding to intervene in the annex play.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Staltran posted:

It's less infamy to puppet first and then do another play to annex, right? A bit of a pain and slower, of course, and risks some rear end in a top hat deciding to intervene in the annex play.

Yes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Staltran posted:

A dominion is even less infamy than a puppet if you don't care about them supporting you militarily in the meantime.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Huh, for some reason I thought you can't annex dominions. That's good to know.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

you cant annex dominions iirc, you'd have to do another play to puppet then annex

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Petulant child whine: But they have <silk/dye/oil/opium/whatever> and I want it now!!!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I think it's not necessarily true for small countries with only a few states

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

you cant annex dominions iirc, you'd have to do another play to puppet then annex

You can, at least until 1.5. It's the most infamy-efficient form of conquest so I'm not surprised they're nerfing it

Grizzwold posted:

Didn’t see it mentioned in the thread yet but it looks like there’s some substantial changes coming to subjects in the dd

quote:

There are now explicit Demands/Plays/Wargoals for increasing or reducing the autonomy of a subject. The autonomy scale for subjects goes Protectorate -> Dominion -> Puppet, Tributary -> Vassal, while a Personal Union can be turned into a Puppet/Vassal/Protectorate/Tributary if autonomy is increased/decreased​
Diplomatic Play/Demand/Wargoal Make Puppet was changed into Make Protectorate​
Diplomatic Play/Demand/Wargoal Make Vassal was changed into Make Tributary​
Diplomatic Play/Demand/Wargoal Make Dominion was removed​
It is now only possible to demand annexation of a Puppet or Vassal​
Diplomatic Demands/Plays that do not involve taking territory (such as changing autonomy or law changes) now generally are not blocked by high relations​

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So in 1.5 it's a three-step process to conquer somewhere whole? Make Tributary -> Make Vassal -> Annex Vassal?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Gort posted:

So in 1.5 it's a three-step process to conquer somewhere whole? Make Tributary -> Make Vassal -> Annex Vassal?

Four step. Only uncivs can have Tributaries/Vassals.

That's going to be tedious enough to put me off annexing the empire when playing Britain. But that was already something I didn't want to do, I was doing it because it was the only way to make use of the resources they're sitting on??

Build in subjects more vital than ever now.

e: Dubious to me that British Malaya is more autonomous than Canada, actually. Feel like it should be Dominion -> Protectorate -> Puppet. With the wargoal taking you to the second step directly?

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 19, 2023

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Beta 1.5.1 should be out now. Preliminary change log https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/victoria-3-open-beta-1-5-1-changelog-preliminary.1599475/

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Loaded up the beta, and absolutely nobody in the world is producing boats. So that's kind of a problem.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

the russian century is upon us

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

im hype omg poo poo im at. work gently caress

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
I traded all of my work productivity this morning to try the new patch as prussia and it is by far the best version of the game I have played so far. Not perfect, but warfare makes way more sense (and when the graphical elements are completed it's gonna be sick as hell, I think). My game crashed around 1860 as I tried to start a unification play which turned into a fairly large war.

EDIT: off by a century

just a kazoo fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 19, 2023

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

just a kazoo posted:

My game crashed around 1960 as I tried to start a unification play which turned into a fairly large war.

:staredog:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

preempting the cold war mods :v:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

turns out the 1960 german unification play comes with a few complications

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ro5s posted:

preempting the cold war mods :v:

Cold War my rear end

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

lmao

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

lol

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Victoria 3: the 1960 german unification play comes with a few complications

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
My typo was dumb, the suggested thread title change is also dumb, but I think the existing thread title is even dumber.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Now we'll have to post more jokes to replace that thread title.

Hearing about this beta is hopeful and hypeful. I'm not going to play the beta itself, but I'm very interested in reading your impressions.