Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Morpheus posted:

7 also has this, but the demo didn't. I want to check it out - on one hand, yeah you're asking why you should be playing a game that could play itself, but on the other if I could just run through an item world and not stress over getting geo poo poo or worrying about the time it takes to do so, then awesome. Plus, it's not like the automation stuff isn't involved as well - I'd like to see what kinds of optimized sort of plans I can get on my units to get them clearing stuff effectively. Not something I'd ever see using on story levels, especially since 7's bonus stage rewards are based around mini-objectives, like only using humanoids or not losing any units.

Disgaea 7's item world is also based around completing mini-objectives, possibly even moreso than the main stages since it determines how many levels the item gets. Usually like "kill 3 enemies and clear the stage within 1 turn." So automating it doesn't seem very advisable, and I'm not even sure you can since they put a lot of weird limitations on auto-battle that I never bothered experimenting with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I never got into Dragon Age because the graphics are loving ugly, coming from someone who's beaten at least four Bethesda games. I'd get my High Fantasy fix from Deadfire because if you don't like the combat you can at least automate it.

I notice you didn't defend Inqusition, because that was simply the most atrocious attempt at a traditional RPG tacking on an open-world to the formula.

I never liked Inquisition. Even when it came out and everybody was praising it for saving the series from the catastrophe of 2, all I saw was BioWare trying to be Bethesda. I liked Skyrim and Morrowind but I didn't want them in my BioWare RPG. They traded in a lot of choice and diverging paths so you could spend 100 hours in one giant map. Compared to Origins or 2, there's barely any big moral choices in the game. Also in Origins and 2, a signature feature was "character banter" where, depending on your party composition, you'd get a variety of interactions. When I played DAI, nobody said poo poo. I would wander and wander these giant maps in soulless, empty silence, my party never exchanging two words to each other.

Basically it had nothing I wanted in a BiOWare RPG apart from a couple cool characters. Except it also dropped the Friend/Rivalry system from 2 and defaulted back to "Approval" so you had to kiss rear end for characters you don't even like to get all you wanted out of them.

Mr E posted:

The Arishok rules and I love his tiny little chair. The Qun might be the most interesting Bioware created civilization overall.

I remember really liking Inquisition but when I played it at launch I absolutely changed my computer clock to make the war table stuff go faster and pretty much did not interact with the open world unless necessary. I haven't played the DLC at all or the base game since launch so I'm curious what I'll think whenever I get to that.

Glad to hear you are enjoying all of that as well.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Inquisition has a lot of good stuff - or at least stuff I enjoyed - but is also rather too much. Like almost every element I liked about it also had something that annoyed me, like the dragons being somehow both pretty rad big fights against dangerous optional bosses yet also kinda tedious given how much time they can spend zooming around. Which is appropriate for a dragon to do, but then at least half the party isn't really doing poo poo for long chunks of the battle. The wide open maps are simultaneously kinda fun to explore the first time but annoying if you want to go back and sweep things up or get to hard-to-reach collectibles. It has this same kind of problem in so many ways of just being A Bit Too Much.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Clarste posted:

Disgaea 7's item world is also based around completing mini-objectives, possibly even moreso than the main stages since it determines how many levels the item gets. Usually like "kill 3 enemies and clear the stage within 1 turn." So automating it doesn't seem very advisable, and I'm not even sure you can since they put a lot of weird limitations on auto-battle that I never bothered experimenting with.

I will say though that the Japanese pun they use for the autobattle system (Mashin Intelligence with 'Mashin' written with the kanji for 'Demon Mind') is exquisite.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

DAO and DA2 are just really good about the party responding to your choices. And DA2 has the best relationship mechanic BW has ever, ever had; a fully realized and well used version of KOTOR 2's Influence system. No more endlessly sucking up to people, you can get just as much out of their character by making them hate you or antagonizing them.

i love the concept behind DA2’s friendship/rivalry system but in practice it’s just as artificial as any gift-feeding system, you can have a character in your party the whole game and still be in the unrewarding neutral zone because your decisions cancel each other out

notably to rival fenris you have to be pro-mage AND not be violently anti-slaver, because otherwise you get friendship points you don’t want

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 19, 2023

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

dmboogie posted:

the concept behind DA2’s friendship/rivalry system but in practice it’s just as artificial as any gift-feeding system, you can have a character in your party the whole game and still be in the unrewarding neutral zone because your decisions cancel each other out

notably to rival fenris you have to be pro-mage AND not be violently anti-slaver, because otherwise you get friendship points you don’t want

Yeah I mostly like the system for everyone except Fenris exactly because of this. He's right around neutral for me despite being in my party the whole game because I kill all slavers and help most mages.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only reason the next Ys game is a prequel is so Adol never hits the dreaded 25, which in Anime years makes him an old man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Rivalry system managed to be more poorly executed than a binary like/dislike meter which is genuinely impressive. It's still the same binary "you're going to want to fill this meter" thing except the way it plays out is that you have less choice and less ability to influence things because they drastically toned back everything to try to make it make sense. It doesn't actually improve anything mechanically or roleplaying wise. Like I like the idea of "you can disagree with your allies without being fundamentally punished for it" except you still are because the game encourages going all-in on one path. Instead it just ends up feeling weird and cowardly because it doesn't want to 'write off' a character.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The only reason the next Ys game is a prequel is so Adol never hits the dreaded 25, which in Anime years makes him an old man.

haha yeah man?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

dmboogie posted:

i love the concept behind DA2’s friendship/rivalry system but in practice it’s just as artificial as any gift-feeding system, you can have a character in your party the whole game and still be in the unrewarding neutral zone because your decisions cancel each other out

I solved this problem by just not having party members in my party at certain quests. Which, I grant, isn't exactly ideal for a first run.

The point is it dramatically impacts some of your companions. Anders' entire story and personality changes based on Friendship and Rivalry, for example. Whether or not he's complicit with Vengeance or a man desperately struggling to free himself from corruption is all based on Friend/Rivalry.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I solved this problem by just not having party members in my party at certain quests. Which, I grant, isn't exactly ideal for a first run.

The point is it dramatically impacts some of your companions. Anders' entire story and personality changes based on Friendship and Rivalry, for example. Whether or not he's complicit with Vengeance or a man desperately struggling to free himself from corruption is all based on Friend/Rivalry.

I mean that just isn't good writing or design.

I'm sure it's getting tiresome here but Baldur's Gate 3 is an example of how to do it right. Your party is a giant group of total shitheads of varying degrees who are stuck working together because otherwise they die and you're allowed to agree/disagree with them and even though there's an 'approval' meter the game is well written enough to work around things and to give characters enough variety that you can earn approval in a myriad of different ways that don't involve hyper-focusing on a character.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah idk if you have to specifically work around a meter in ways that feel clunky and unnatural i would uh, consider that a failure of party relationship mechanics

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
speaking of that punchy goon person who did silent hill speedruns did a decent breakdown of loop8 and uh well. guess that did not end up being a good gunparade march successor in, any form whatsoever lmfao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74q3SnaAjag

incredible how the relationship mechanics are busted in such a specific way that it's literally impossible to go through the game without amassing a massive harem of every single woman in town including your own grandmother and also one bisexual guy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

his entire personality changing based on a bar is really lame tbh. i like when stuff implements it where they feel like the same character and the choices/relationship stuff more changes how they perceive you, or the situation around them, and that changes how they act

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
when are they gonna port steambot chronicles

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think they will cause the code and engine around that game is weird and kinda broken, think it'd be more likely to see granzella attempt to get steambot 2 off the ground. pcsx2's pounded the game into mostly working fine now if you're good with that, can confirm that it runs significantly better than it used to. they even fixed the bug where the entire desert was pitch black for some reason

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope r-type final 3 turns out good cause it was nice to hear 2 was actually a decent game, though apparently not as weird as final 1. as long as granzella is staying alive and continuing to make sequels to weird irem ps2 games i'm happy

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I kinda wish Persona social links didn't feel like I'm wasting time if I hang out with someone and don't say exactly what they want to hear.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
persona's relationship mechanics made sense for a first attempt but they've basically left all the worst aspects of them untouched and removed all the friction that could've potentially made them interesting instead, it's weird. you don't have to stress over picking the right options in tokimeki memorial but by the nature of how persona works and how much you'll have to replay if you do want to get a "perfect" run it both makes you stress super hard over it but doesn't really make the act of making those choices itself very interesting or fun

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Endorph posted:

his entire personality changing based on a bar is really lame tbh. i like when stuff implements it where they feel like the same character and the choices/relationship stuff more changes how they perceive you, or the situation around them, and that changes how they act

So,

Arcanum, weird steampunk CRPG from 2001, has an NPC follower who's personality changes depending on your PC's good/evil alignment. The NPC is a reformed criminal who's joined a priesthood that worships the god your character might be a reincarnation of. If you act goodish, they continue being reformed, but if you act evilish they'll eventually take that as a sign from god that being nice is a sham and they revert to being a two-bit crook.

Now, there's a magic hat you can wear that gives you +20 magic power but also lowers your goodness by -20. Except it's bugged so it instead maxes out your magic power and your evilness gauge. This doesn't actually hinder the choices your allowed to make, you can still pick every good dialog options etc., but now all of a sudden this guy who's been following you around becomes a huge rear end in a top hat out and starts talking like a baddie from a Charles Dickens novel.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Colonel posted:

persona's relationship mechanics made sense for a first attempt but they've basically left all the worst aspects of them untouched and removed all the friction that could've potentially made them interesting instead, it's weird. you don't have to stress over picking the right options in tokimeki memorial but by the nature of how persona works and how much you'll have to replay if you do want to get a "perfect" run it both makes you stress super hard over it but doesn't really make the act of making those choices itself very interesting or fun

Also I would argue they've gotten worse over time.Tying more and more player power directly into them like in 5 honestly makes them feel that much cheaper writing wise and add to that possible stress. God knows I was even more hurried and annoyed by characters I didn't care for because they were also blocking off mechanical benefits I wanted so I was way more eager to just ignore them as I shot through them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i really think persona should copy amagami's system for daily life stuff. there it was sort of a sphere grid type system where you'd go down various paths that unlocked conversations with characters that'd unlock more paths and sometimes you'd need to have seen conversations with multiple other characters to unlock scenes with multiple characters in them, etc etc

making this a literal sphere grid with abilities for you and your party on it would make a lot of sense

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the vlog from tim cain about how initially arcanum had a very restrictive level up system and you were only gonna get one point per level up, but after a lot of arguments they decided to raise the amount of points you get. but they hadn't properly rebalanced the game for it so the result was they launched a game with a completely broken stat system

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

i really think persona should copy amagami's system for daily life stuff. there it was sort of a sphere grid type system where you'd go down various paths that unlocked conversations with characters that'd unlock more paths and sometimes you'd need to have seen conversations with multiple other characters to unlock scenes with multiple characters in them, etc etc

making this a literal sphere grid with abilities for you and your party on it would make a lot of sense

that would rule

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Literally all I'd want is that if I spend time with someone I just get the mechanical advantage.

All choices could shape how the last social link goes plot wise.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

The Colonel posted:

My biggest worry about Reload is that the s. links are more like 5 and they move stuff from the main story into them. The fact that characters in P3 seem to have lives outside of the MC is one of the main reasons it's my favorite

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't like how Anders DA2 was gay if you were a man and straight if you were a woman. The one guy who got made tranquil is either his ex or just a friend depending on your own gender...WEirdo poo poo

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

What's the best way to play Final Fantasy VI? Brave New World romhack? Last time I played it, it was on PS1 when I was a kid and p sure I quit when the party got split up and I hadn't levelled half of them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Anders is protagsexual but willing to gaslight you about his previous partner

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I didn't like how Anders DA2 was gay if you were a man and straight if you were a woman. The one guy who got made tranquil is either his ex or just a friend depending on your own gender...WEirdo poo poo

yeah that was also weird. i think having some characters shift their reaction to you based on gender is cool but that felt like, reality warping lol.

like in fate/extra ccc, if you're a guy melt has a crush on you, if you're a girl and your partner is nero or tamamo, she has a crush on you, but if you're a girl and your partner is archer she has a crush on him instead of you. its sort of neat because it kind of weighs the character's role in the plot based on your assumed interests. female protag and female partner = yuri but if youre a girl who wants the guy then having her be more of a rival for his affections makes sense. and in-universe you can easily say that she prefers guys and the male protag is her type, shes interested in the protag even if they're a girl since they have the protag stuff going on, but if she prefers guys then archer being there and you being a girl leans her towards him. like everything still tracks as a consistent character instead of the singularity being altered.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sailormoon posted:

What's the best way to play Final Fantasy VI? Brave New World romhack? Last time I played it, it was on PS1 when I was a kid and p sure I quit when the party got split up and I hadn't levelled half of them.
pixel remaster imo. brave new world has some okay gameplay additions/changes but a lot of the added dialog is really goofy and the endgame bosses are really hp sacky. pixel remaster has some good tweaks for convenience.

also the party splits up a lot in ff6. dont worry about 'oh no i didnt level everyone!!,' all those segments usually have really easy enemies and new party members join. the only real exceptions are a few dungeons at the end of the game, but the game outright tells you 'hey you'll need 3 parties.'

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I tried playing Star Ocean 2 many years ago but wound up dropping it not too long in. I started on the remake demo and holy hell I forgot how long it takes to get into any actual gameplay. Over half an hour in and I'm still in exposition land.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

what the....

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

sailormoon posted:

Pixel Remaster or honestly just a snes rom.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

sailormoon posted:

BNW is awesome. In terms of FF mods/hacks, it and FFVII New Threat are kind of in a league of their own in terms of a thorough but reasonable boost in the quality of the gameplay.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I really need to play Amagami.. also Loop8 is a bummer especially with how loving slow it is, and requiring loads between bits of dialogue like it's loving sonic06

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Chaotic Flame posted:

My biggest worry about Reload is that the s. links are more like 5 and they move stuff from the main story into them. The fact that characters in P3 seem to have lives outside of the MC is one of the main reasons it's my favorite

everything that’s been said about the game seems like it’s just aggressively replicating P3’s writing but adding a few bonus scenes so you probably have nothing to worry about

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't see why they would change the script at all? Just copy-paste it and and some new bonus stuff.

Edit: I mean they probably should change it because a lot of it just kinda sucks, but there's no reason to assume that there is any kind of rewrite involved at all.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i guess i appreciate the dedication to the bit of never giving persona 3 an actual definitive release