Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Speaking of the painted world. I got sucked in there early and immediately left because it seemed like a DLC place. Also, I wasn't done exploring the cathedral and had forgotten about it until someone mentioned.

As for the giant, I didn't use the weapon. I had siegward there doing the heavy lifting and then he died so I ran over and plinked the giant to death. The first half of the fight I was fighting but didn't seem to be doing anything then I remembered someone mentioned siegward can pretty much solo a boss and this one was different because there was no summon sign and he had unique dialog. So I stood back and watched for a bit until siegward died, then I finished up. I could have plinked the boss death start to finish if boredom didn't get the best of me. At least I think I could. I didn't get hit much, but I guess if you have to hit something 1000 times those few times end up being all your estus.

I got lucky to find siegward because I wouldn't have found him if I hadn't gotten ambushed by some spell caster on the roof of the building with the hand monster dog things that eat souls. After the ambush I tried to figure out where he came from and wouldn't have even seen the jump if I hadn't been looking. I'm guessing that is why the guy is there. I'm generally pretty thorough exploring which has been frustrating in this game because a lot of the time you can see stuff that is out of reach for what seems like longer than in other games.

Also, based on how much easier this one seems, and how many more spells there are than before, i'm guessing casters are seriously OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

Not if you can't parry

True but those players aren't the ones making sweaty lists of the hardest bosses

A list of hardest bosses based on skillset actually could be really interesting. Has anyone made something like that yet?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

Speaking of the painted world.

Crow poop tails :barf:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The only non-DLC bosses I would consider actually difficult are Pontiff Sulyvhan, Champion Gundyr, Nameless King, and the super Lothric Bros.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Guillermus posted:

I don't think I've ever parried

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

GodFish posted:

Ds2 asks you to do different things than ds1 and that made a lot of people very mad.

Yes. It asked me to play souls in a world that looked like crap.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Different people find different bosses hard or easy. Abyss Watchers took me several days of on and off attempts but I first timed both Gundyrs and Darkeater Midir

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Play Sekiro

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just killed Aldrich. Twice. Once with Anri on the 2nd try. Almost did it on the first try but got a bit too aggressive at the end and got destroyed by arrows before I got the last shot in.

And then I did it solo on the 3rd try.

Not the hardest boss, just a couple massive damage attacks to get used to. I am confused why I had to do the fight twice.

E: also, on the solo kill, I died after striking the last bow (to arrows, of course) and then there was a cut scene and it looked like I was in a different place maybe, but then I spawned at the bonfire and went back and got my souls. It was weird. It went, boss dead, me dead, cut scene, loading screen, I was somewhere else I think, then another loading screen and back to the bonfire. Did the game glitch out or something?

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 19, 2023

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
In DS3 you’re supposed to go get Yhorm and Aldrich before doing Lothric Castle, and once you get Yhorm and Aldrich it teleport-railroads you to Lothric Castle rather than leaving you to remember where to go next on your own.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
loving Twin Princes can suck my rear end

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

skasion posted:

In DS3 you’re supposed to go get Yhorm and Aldrich before doing Lothric Castle, and once you get Yhorm and Aldrich it teleport-railroads you to Lothric Castle rather than leaving you to remember where to go next on your own.

Ok, how do I get there? Back to the wall from the beginning?

Kinda weird how it zapped me back and forth.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Ok, how do I get there? Back to the wall from the beginning?

Kinda weird how it zapped me back and forth.

Yeah it might have glitched out because of the death, hard to be sure.

Warp to Dancer’s bonfire if you have it. If you don’t know who that is, warp to Vordt’s bonfire and walk all the way up the main staircase, past the knights and through into the main building. It’s where you previously met the weird old lady who gave you the banner that you raised to warp from High Wall to Undead Settlement.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
1 shot dancer. LMAO. I'd heard that was one of the hard bosses.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

GrossMurpel posted:

Play Sekiro
we gotta move past this, sekiro parrying isn't really anything like dark souls parrying despite the visuals

it's much easier with a similar timing(actually more lenient) to dodgerolling and also has similar (small)payoff, where souls parrying is harder(both through a smaller window and having some windup in most of the games) but has huge payoff
which is why sekiro "parrying" is the core defensive maneuver in that game

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Not enjoying the castle from the dragon barracks on. Unless I am missing something, I need to get by ice flash the dog knight and he is wrecking me. He is way harder than any boss I've faced so far.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Not enjoying the castle from the dragon barracks on. Unless I am missing something, I need to get by ice flash the dog knight and he is wrecking me. He is way harder than any boss I've faced so far.

That guy is probably skippable iirc. But anyway the real Dark Souls 3 starts here, late game is pain. Get 40 vigor if you don’t have it already, consider adding more. Now is also a good time to start the DLC areas if you feel blocked.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Got Oceiros down. He was definitely the hardest so far. 1st try was going all right then all of a sudden I was dead. 3 fast slashes with no chance to do anything. LOL. 2nd attempt I didn't even get as far. But I got him on the 3rd try once I had a better sense of the timing.

Gonna go back to the castle now and if that is still lame I will try paineted world a bit.

I am at +10 on my great sword. 40 str. Should i use a heavy gem or something else? I'm stuck with my choice, right?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Waltzing Along posted:

Not the hardest boss, just a couple massive damage attacks to get used to. I am confused why I had to do the fight twice.

If Anri helps you kill Aldrich you can return the favour and go to their world to kill "their" Aldrich. The series is weirdly inconsistent about when characters share a world and when they're from different ones.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Parrying in Souls games isn't as safe and reliable as deflecting is in Sekiro, because Parrying has a recovery and Deflecting does not.

Nevertheless, I have in my hand a list of enemies who are trivialized by parrying in this series:

DS1: Gwyn and his various Silver and Black Knights.

DS2: Pursuer, Velstadt, and Heide Knights.

Pursuer and Velstadt can't be grabbed after the parry, but their punish window after a parry is fairly long and you can get a few R1s in. Heide Knights have dangerously high poise early in the game, but if you play reactively a single parry can end the fight outright.

DS3: Champion Gundyr and Pontiff Sulyvahn.

Champion Gundyr has a long list of combos, but if you parry each opener it basically ends the entire string and you can immediately punish. Pontiff Sulyvahn is weird because successful parries can give you a window to burn through his entire phase 1 health bar.

ER: Crucible Knights and Commanders

Sword and Shield Crucible Knights are basically impossible to attack out of neutral, and otherwise have very complex and delayed attack strings. Being able to parry his openers on reaction lets you get straight into their health.

Commanders are huge pains to fight with their complete resistance to ministuns, but they are also very vulnerable to baiting out parries.

Bloodborne: Everyone

Bloodborne is a bit of an outlier in that almost everyone is parryable, and while the fundamentals of its gun parry resembles that of the mainline series, it's also about as safe as that of a Sekiro deflect.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Got Oceiros down. He was definitely the hardest so far. 1st try was going all right then all of a sudden I was dead. 3 fast slashes with no chance to do anything. LOL. 2nd attempt I didn't even get as far. But I got him on the 3rd try once I had a better sense of the timing.

Gonna go back to the castle now and if that is still lame I will try paineted world a bit.

I am at +10 on my great sword. 40 str. Should i use a heavy gem or something else? I'm stuck with my choice, right?

You should explore the chambers behind Oceiros thoroughly.

It provides immediate access to a new optional area, and the means to access another back in Irithyll Dungeon.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 20, 2023

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

BiggerBoat posted:

loving Twin Princes can suck my rear end

And if you, want to buy me flowers, just go ahead now.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I got Twin Princes on my first go : )

The five knights outside their door were a much harder fight

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

No Dignity posted:

Lol people fight those guys?

My immediate response every single time is "nope.", then I run to trigger the elevator, and run to the boss fight.

Now that I am thinking about it, I'm not sure I even fought them on my first run - which - usually I kill absolutely EVERYTHING - then on subsequent runs, I just run past everything that's too annoying.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I will try to beat everything at least once per run, on boss runbacks I might skip stuff but I didn't play this game not to play it y'know?

Also it got my fundamentals down to the point I oneshot the boss afterwards, steel sharpens steel!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

No Dignity posted:

Those knights are my go to guys if I need to farm some quick and shameful souls.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Horace Kinch posted:

You should explore the chambers behind Oceiros thoroughly.

It provides immediate access to a new optional area, and the means to access another back in Irithyll Dungeon.

I opened every door, though. I don't think I left anything alive, either. Other than the hand dudes. They hiding something?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I opened every door, though. I don't think I left anything alive, either. Other than the hand dudes. They hiding something?

Try attacking

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Illusory wall ahead

But like, for real this time

No I'm serious

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Not all of the 'Illusory Wall' message players leave behind are trolling attempts.

Waltzing Along posted:

I forgot to answer this part of your question. You should definitely make that weapon Heavy. You can undo/change infusions any time as long as you have the material.

Also, if you want to minmax: park your STR at 66. That way when you 2hand it (+50% added) you'll have an effective 99 STR.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Illusory wall ahead

But like, for real this time

No I'm serious

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
One glowing red sign is a troll but when you see 3 glowing red signs in front of a wall you better go give it a whack

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Mata posted:

One glowing red sign is a troll but when you see 3 glowing red signs in front of a wall you better go give it a whack

Plus any troll will have 2-3 "Liar Ahead. *points*" messages before it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

HaB posted:

Plus any troll will have 2-3 "Liar Ahead. *points*" messages before it.

So do the real ones :hehe:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

axolotl farmer posted:

Those knights are my go to guys if I need to farm some quick and shameful souls.

That whole bridge is a great area for soul farming.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Not a fan of the king of the storm/nameless king fight.

Seemed like complete bullshit until I moved to in front of the dragon, which you never do in games, but you have to here, I guess. The fight just seems really underbaked, or shows off the limitations of the camera. That combined with how easy it is to die is just a mess.

OTOH, the fight looks like absolute cheese as a caster.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Not a fan of the king of the storm/nameless king fight.

Seemed like complete bullshit until I moved to in front of the dragon, which you never do in games, but you have to here, I guess. The fight just seems really underbaked, or shows off the limitations of the camera. That combined with how easy it is to die is just a mess.

OTOH, the fight looks like absolute cheese as a caster.

The dragon is definitely easy as a caster. Soul arrow chumps its wiggly head.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't like Nameless King. The only time first phase didn't feel like poo poo was with my pyromancer as I could fight ranged and not run around trying to smack the dragon's head. The king himself isn't so bad once you stop dodging on instinct and delay them a bit.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Nameless King is the most Player vs Camera fight in DS3. Hard to judge if your strike will connect or whiff the chicken, since there are no points of reference. Total confusion if you forget to remove lock on when the chicken starts flying. Stand too far down the neck, and the camera will swivel to inside the chicken and give you a nice view of just the polygons inside the neck.

Other that that, fun and epic! Good fight for jolly cooperation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I almost got it down. I get to phase 2 nearly every time. Though, sometimes stupid BS RNG happens. I think my favorite bit from part 1 is hitting the chicken and it "not connecting" even though I can see the sword go through it's head.

I'm glad it has such an easy run back. One of the easiest. Probably because fromsoft realized how poo poo the fight was during play testing. It's just such garbage.

Phase 2 is so RNG dependent, too. Sometimes I go in and all I do is heal until I get hit while healing and die. I'd say 1 in 3 times I go in and it's just whack, heal, whack, heal, whack, heal. I've stopped using embers even though they give me a bit more space to move because I'd burn through them all.

It's just a matter of not getting RNG hosed and I'll down him. I don't even think it's a hard fight. It's just bad. There are much harder fights. This one is just such massive damage output means 2 hits = dead so have to heal after every hit which means less time actually hitting him. I can reliably dodge most everything he does, the problem is hitting once and then either not being able to get away or whatever.

I'm struggling to think of a worse fight in the 6 games I've played. There are harder ones, for sure. But from just pure bad design, I dunno.

Drop his damage by 50% and it's a fair fight. Maybe a bit too easy. But make it so you can survive 3 hits and it's a completely different beast.

For the dragon, I get why they have the straight down fire blast. They don't want you to just stay underneath. But they need to balance something else out. Fortunately it's only 5 or 6 hits to move to phase 2.

Blah blah blah. Whine whine. And knowing that it's super easy as a caster just shows how badly designed it is. It's not even remotely balanced. I mean, sometimes on phase 2 it's whack, try to heal, but nope he does something RNG and yer dead. But no way to know he was gonna do that so should have been psychic and rolled 2 times before healing.