Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

i retract my previous statement, you do not "gotta hand it" to lowtax under any circumstances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Low taxes embezzlement and incompetence turned out to be a blessing ?

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

pencilhands posted:

i retract my previous statement, you do not "gotta hand it" to lowtax under any circumstances

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

"Death of the admin" argues that the function of a forum is independent from the intentions of its developer

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Mudlark posted:

Precisely the reason I decided to come back and see if Something Awful was still around and active. Y'all are alright :unsmith:

Same, I was stoked to come back after a few years and find that the community was stronger than ever. Love you folks.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I’m sure it’s been mentioned many many times but everyone is being subtly programmed via social media to be reflexively horrible to each other and it’s enshittifying and corrupting pretty much all human communication

I saw a video the other day where these two people got into a dispute over a parking space, but instead of like directly arguing with one another they each got their phone out and started recording while narrating why they were in the right. They were 5 feet apart from one another each going "so there I was just minding my own business when this rear end in a top hat comes out of nowhere..."

We're a country of 330 million main characters.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I mostly read sci-fi and feel like there's a good amount of new decent stuff coming out still, or at least, I am far less jaded about it than movies. Partly this is because recent years have really moved toward gender equality in awards and publishing in genre fic

the god awful "Kaiju Preservation Society"' getting a Hugo nomination probably isn't a good sign though

A lot of newer fantasy is really good, too, for example the 'Broken Earth' series by N.K. Jemisin. And I'm reading this really great series that I'm sure a lot of people are familiar with called 'Red Rising' which is kind of a fantasy/sci-fi blend.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

DeepL now requires you to register an account to use their service, still free but :argh:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Outlook moving the tabs to the side

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I tried the "new" Outlook. My task list went from 5-8 lines of 12 pt font to taking up my entire vertical screen height.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Hotels all suck, shouldn't they want my business? $300/night rooms and $24 glasses of milk, get the gently caress out of here.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This fridge is for making questionable, shady profits off drunks and children, do not touch! :mad:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
A true microcosm of the city itself :patriot:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

What a hateful piece of technology lol

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Altering? Do they expect the items returned after having eaten them?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I like how you have to request a fridge, for additional charge.

And that's probably on top of it being 300 bucks a night for a lovely motel.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

digitalist posted:

You are charged by these things just for opening the door. 'Altering' means moving anything inside the minibar.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
What if you kick it and make everything inside fall over?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

whatever building this is in needs to be burned to the ground

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

I'd be happy to alter them another way :nexus:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GolfHole posted:

Hotels all suck, shouldn't they want my business? $300/night rooms and $24 glasses of milk, get the gently caress out of here.

All hotels and motels are insane now. Prices have doubled or more from predemic times and I know Motel 6 isn't twice as sanitized as before.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Here's the price list for the lazy

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

digitalist posted:

I remember my dad telling me that on work trips people would drink from them then just stop at the liqour store the next day to restock them without the insane markup.

Modern ones don’t do that. They should be illegal.

Armacham posted:

Here's the price list for the lazy

Worse than I expected

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Wtf is a romance kit? Condoms and lube?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A Strange Aeon posted:

yes

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Maybe some lovely champers

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

A Strange Aeon posted:

Sometimes one of those cheapo vibrators, breath mints, personal wipes...

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Wait, so let’s say you open it and grab a soda. Do you automatically get charged the price of the soda PLUS an extra 50 as it assumes you stored your own poo poo in there?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pencilhands posted:

Wait, so let’s say you open it and grab a soda. Do you automatically get charged the price of the soda PLUS an extra 50 as it assumes you stored your own poo poo in there?

What does your heart tell you

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe there is a camera in the fridge to monitor for unauthorized personal items.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i just stayed in a hotel with one of those. I opened it to see what was in there but didn't move anything. :ohdear:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I loving love self-checkout dude, it's like an express lane just for shoplifting. Every piece of produce is a banana! BOGO specials on all items too light to be detected by the uncalibrated scale! Everything under the cart is free!

Like, if you're gonna fire a bunch of employees and make me do the work you're not willing to pay them for, I'm sure as poo poo pilfering a few cases of Spindrift for my trouble.

don't make a habit of shoplifting from major chain stores. the employees may not care, but the company knows exactly how much you stole, because they have you on camera (these are very advanced camera systems that use facial/gait recognition to track you the whole time you're in the store). you're only temporarily getting away with it, as they wait for it to add up to an amount that the law cares about

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

evobatman posted:

I tried the "new" Outlook. My task list went from 5-8 lines of 12 pt font to taking up my entire vertical screen height.

I actually really like the new outlook if and only if you have a portrait-orientation monitor to put it on

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

pencilhands posted:

No. They're typically weight sensors. Otherwise it's inventoried at time of cleaning. If things are moved around housekeeping will mark it as used rather than rummage around to try and figure out what is where if it takes more than a couple of seconds.

Also if they are dealing with your stuff in there it's a hassle, ranging from "ugh" to "ewww." They really don't want to deal with your leftover beef stew that you let drip all over poo poo. Also if it's weight triggered they want to discourage people playing Indiana Jones and thinking they're being clever by putting a rock in the place of liquor.

Of all the awful things in the world happening now, the thread losing their mind over hotel mini safes is very late 80s, if not earlier. They're outrageously expensive, have always been outrageously expensive, and 99% of the time if you tell the front desk you need a fridge "for medication" they'll send one up for no charge beyond tipping the guy for carting it up.

And I say at least 80s because those were forbidden territory when traveling with family as a young kid.

They're predatory and awful and exist to take advantage of children, drunks, or business travelers and their expense reports. But they're hardly something new.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

PJOmega posted:

No. They're typically weight sensors. Otherwise it's inventoried at time of cleaning. If things are moved around housekeeping will mark it as used rather than rummage around to try and figure out what is where if it takes more than a couple of seconds.

Also if they are dealing with your stuff in there it's a hassle, ranging from "ugh" to "ewww." They really don't want to deal with your leftover beef stew that you let drip all over poo poo. Also if it's weight triggered they want to discourage people playing Indiana Jones and thinking they're being clever by putting a rock in the place of liquor.

Of all the awful things in the world happening now, the thread losing their mind over hotel mini safes is very late 80s, if not earlier. They're outrageously expensive, have always been outrageously expensive, and 99% of the time if you tell the front desk you need a fridge "for medication" they'll send one up for no charge beyond tipping the guy for carting it up.

And I say at least 80s because those were forbidden territory when traveling with family as a young kid.

They're predatory and awful and exist to take advantage of children, drunks, or business travelers and their expense reports. But they're hardly something new.

Thank you! I appreciate the info

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
If you have to stay in a hotel, consider bringing lots of drinking water, like a 24 pack or a few gallon bottles.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

erosion posted:

If you have to stay in a hotel, consider bringing lots of drinking water, like a 24 pack or a few gallon bottles.

I stay in lots of hotels, I like to bring a 12 pack of 12 ounce bottles. Also some jerky and some trail mix that's all nuts and dried berries, not any candy. These snacks are filling and shelf stable, which is good because you never know exactly what the fridge situation is going to be. The road to financial ruin is paved with minibars, room service, and bottled water on the desk that costs you $6 the second you break the seal.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I travel a ton for work and I haven’t seen a “we charge you for storing your own poo poo” mini fridge, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Buce posted:

I travel a ton for work and I haven’t seen a “we charge you for storing your own poo poo” mini fridge, ever.

Yeah 50 bucks for opening the fridge is insane