Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
All right. I'm looking for a counter to the "In the past, if there were half a dozen deaths from a trial of a vaccine/drug/etc it was pulled, but they didn't pull the COVID ones even though there were (insert large number here), ergo they are somehow wrong." Cut away all the poo poo and they might still have a few hundred deaths or so.

Is the sole answer to this 'This was a vaccine to a pandemic that was actually killing thousands of people when it was fully finished up and rolled out, and hence higher numbers in the 0.01 percent range were acceptable risks as compared to stuff like the swine flu pandemic which killed a grand total of one person', or are there further arguments I could make beyond that that I'm not thinking of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
It's just math literacy. With hundreds of millions of vaccinations some people are going to die unexpectedly, if you gave 100 million people each a banana some of them would die unexpectedly.

The Johnson and Johnson and AstraZeneca vaccines were paused over a side effect that happened like ten times because surveillance was good enough to pick that up.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cornwind Evil posted:

All right. I'm looking for a counter to the "In the past, if there were half a dozen deaths from a trial of a vaccine/drug/etc it was pulled, but they didn't pull the COVID ones even though there were (insert large number here), ergo they are somehow wrong." Cut away all the poo poo and they might still have a few hundred deaths or so.

Is the sole answer to this 'This was a vaccine to a pandemic that was actually killing thousands of people when it was fully finished up and rolled out, and hence higher numbers in the 0.01 percent range were acceptable risks as compared to stuff like the swine flu pandemic which killed a grand total of one person', or are there further arguments I could make beyond that that I'm not thinking of?

Well, have they actually provided proof for any of this to begin with? There's no need to come up with a response to a claim that isn't true in the first place.

Were there an unusual number of deaths in COVID vaccine trials? I don't know why you're just taking it for granted that they must have something to point to there.

Even if people died during the trials, deaths don't necessarily cause the halting of a medical trial. It depends on why the deaths happened, how many deaths there were, how the death rate compares to the control group, and numerous other factors. It also depends on why the trial is being done, what kind of trial it is, what kind of product is being tested, and so on.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Cornwind Evil posted:

The vaccine is endemic now. We have to learn to live with the vaccine. The vaccine has a >99% survival rate.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Thanks for this. My brother and his wife are at the tail end of their infection and he's talking about them getting the booster ASAP, so I'm trying to show him evidence against it. He's not an idiot so I hope he'll listen.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Thanks for this. My brother and his wife are at the tail end of their infection and he's talking about them getting the booster ASAP, so I'm trying to show him evidence against it. He's not an idiot so I hope he'll listen.

Don’t let him waste his shot trying to boost an already boosted immune system.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Oracle posted:

Don’t let him waste his shot trying to boost an already boosted immune system.

That's exactly what I've been telling him. I think I've gotten through to him. He's not an idiot, I think his wife is freaking out in general because they both got strep and covid at the same time.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Got my Pfizer booster this evening. I was one of the last appointments for the day and the location I was at said they’ll be out of dosages tomorrow most likely. Since the vaccine is now commercial they have a much shorter supply on hand at any time (they’re supposed to have 60 the technician told me but that runs out and then they have to wait for the re-up). Also, my insurance dropped the ball and the vaccine was not yet approved though it apparently will be, but I didn’t want to wait since I have travel soon so I just bit the bullet and will need to seek reimbursement later. But, if unsure, you might want to either wait a bit or check with your insurance because the commercial shot is now ~$155.00

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hello Covid goons. x4 vaxxed with Moderna. I think my last shot was either late last year or very early this year (Nov-Jan? Don’t have my card on me)

I heard there’s a very new updated vaccine. I have some questions about it.

1) If I get Moderna #5 within the next few weeks, how do I know it’s the new one?

2) Is there any evidence that the new vaccine is better? Or is most of that benefit just from being a booster rather than a new “calibrated” one?

3) I’m traveling to Europe from the States in December. Is getting the booster now too soon if I want to be sure I’m covered during my vacation?

4) is the state still paying for these or do I have to use my insurance. I don’t mind using it, I just dont want to fight Aetna if they don’t cover it after because covid is over for something.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

buglord posted:

4) is the state still paying for these or do I have to use my insurance. I don’t mind using it, I just dont want to fight Aetna if they don’t cover it after because covid is over for something.

The covid booster is now commercial and the state is no longer paying for it. You’ll need insurance or to pay out of pocket.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

buglord posted:

Hello Covid goons. x4 vaxxed with Moderna. I think my last shot was either late last year or very early this year (Nov-Jan? Don’t have my card on me)

I heard there’s a very new updated vaccine. I have some questions about it.

1) If I get Moderna #5 within the next few weeks, how do I know it’s the new one?

2) Is there any evidence that the new vaccine is better? Or is most of that benefit just from being a booster rather than a new “calibrated” one?

3) I’m traveling to Europe from the States in December. Is getting the booster now too soon if I want to be sure I’m covered during my vacation?

1. The previous vaccines are no longer authorized. If you're getting vaccinated now, it is the new one.

2. The vaccine is probably better against current variants, but even if it wasn't, you're getting boosted, which means that You're better protected than not getting boosted.

https://publichealth.jhu.edu/2023/what-to-know-about-the-updated-covid-19-vaccine-for-fall/winter-2023

3. It is probably not too soon, but the best protection will be two weeks before you travel. But the other side of it is that you can get sick at any time so you will be forgoing that additional protection now. My terrible luck was getting the first bivalent last September, timed two weeks before going to Europe, and us still getting Covid (first time, too) a few days after landing.

4. There are reports of some insurances denying the boosters because they're being slow. I can't imagine they wouldn't reimburse you, though, since the cost/benefit of vaccines to insurance companies (like free annual check ups) is a smart business decision. Aetna pays for annual flu shots, right?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
FYI the government is still paying for uninsured/under insured vaccines so it should be free to you regardless.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/bridge/index.html

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cornwind Evil posted:

I don't know if this helps but because of how every potential adverse symptom of a vaccine has to be reported during a trial, a noted side effect of one of the COVID vaccines was "getting hit by a car".

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Last posts made me check my insurance info and it’s weird. I was billed about $125 for the Moderna, insurance paid $80. It says I owe $0 because I supposedly paid CVS $45 already but I definitely didn’t. They didn’t ask for anything or take any paperwork from me and let me just walk out right after the shot.

They’re gonna send this to collections aren’t they lmao

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Last posts made me check my insurance info and it’s weird. I was billed about $125 for the Moderna, insurance paid $80. It says I owe $0 because I supposedly paid CVS $45 already but I definitely didn’t. They didn’t ask for anything or take any paperwork from me and let me just walk out right after the shot.

They’re gonna send this to collections aren’t they lmao

What does your heart tell you

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I did mine yesterday and confirmed that Walgreens has the new shot. Oddly, my Blue Cross didn't cover it, presumably because it's brand new and yesterday was the first day they had it available for appointments. Also confused the tech with my stupid flu shot voucher my company does instead of my insurance just covering my dang flu shot wherever I want to get it.

They just put me in as uninsured and moved on, which I'm not a huge fan of, but I guess it bumps the numbers of people getting vaxx'd on the government's dime so they can justify more funding?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Echophonic posted:

I did mine yesterday and confirmed that Walgreens has the new shot. Oddly, my Blue Cross didn't cover it, presumably because it's brand new and yesterday was the first day they had it available for appointments. Also confused the tech with my stupid flu shot voucher my company does instead of my insurance just covering my dang flu shot wherever I want to get it.

They just put me in as uninsured and moved on, which I'm not a huge fan of, but I guess it bumps the numbers of people getting vaxx'd on the government's dime so they can justify more funding?

The Bridge Access Program is for both un- and under-insured (which sounds like your category).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't know if this helps but because of how every potential adverse symptom of a vaccine has to be reported during a trial, a noted side effect of one of the COVID vaccines was "getting hit by a car".

To be fair, that’s exactly how I’ve felt after every single one of my 4 shots so far. 24-72 hours of feeling loving awful and wanting to do nothing but sleep. Which really sucks because I have a lot of kid stuff every day. It makes me really not want to get them even though I always do.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Oracle posted:

What does your heart tell you

That CVS is eating the $45 and getting their money on volume, and betting that the insurers are so busy that CVS won't get audited for not collecting the copay, and even if they do get caught they won't get punished badly enough for them to care because they were trying to get people vaccinated and that's a Bad Look for the insurer

Edit: or using govt programs to reimburse unpaid out of pocket costs

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Devor posted:

That CVS is eating the $45 and getting their money on volume, and betting that the insurers are so busy that CVS won't get audited for not collecting the copay, and even if they do get caught they won't get punished badly enough for them to care because they were trying to get people vaccinated and that's a Bad Look for the insurer

Edit: or using govt programs to reimburse unpaid out of pocket costs

Wouldn’t it be in their best interest to collect my $45 and also get the $45 from the govt. that’s twice as much money.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

James Garfield posted:

if you gave 100 million people each a banana some of them would die unexpectedly.

Sounds like we need to recall all bananas until we find out what is going on

Nobody in Europe had ever eaten a banana in 1490, and there were zero autism diagnoses then too, coincidence?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

hows covid doing?

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Got the new booster from Pfizer (previously all Moderna) with a side if flu shot since I have a big trade show in two weeks. Side effects are absolutely kicking my rear end, probably the worst since my original #2 shot. I know there's no real correlation between strength of side effects and efficacy, but if there were I'd be very pleased with it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

Sounds like we need to recall all bananas until we find out what is going on

Nobody in Europe had ever eaten a banana in 1490, and there were zero autism diagnoses then too, coincidence?

We now have regulations to ensure that banana curviture is within safe limits

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

effervescible posted:

Got the new booster from Pfizer (previously all Moderna) with a side if flu shot since I have a big trade show in two weeks. Side effects are absolutely kicking my rear end, probably the worst since my original #2 shot. I know there's no real correlation between strength of side effects and efficacy, but if there were I'd be very pleased with it.

I’m planning my injection day during the middle of the week so I don’t spend my weekend horribly ill like I did last time.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

effervescible posted:

buglord posted:

I’m planning my injection day during the middle of the week so I don’t spend my weekend horribly ill like I did last time.

I got it Saturday at noon, was doing ok until Saturday evening where I was just a lot more tired than usual. Sunday I was in so much ache and ended up taking 400 mg ibuprofen and slept/stayed in bed the whole day. Was a bit out of it Monday but I’m fine now on Tuesday. Got the Moderna and a flu shot ymmv.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
My second Covid shot (and I believe third) were wicked on me, worse than my two covid infections. The worst was the body aches and what I could only describe as skin aches. Weirdly painful to have clothes on that rubbed against skin, which was most clothes. But I’ll take it over Covid or the risk of long Covid since both reactions were about 24 hours. I just gotta call Aetna and see if these are covered yet and also hope that the rep who confirms it to me is correct.

Something I don’t understand is, if these shots give us the ability to transmit 5G signal, wouldn’t that hurt Big Telecom if that means we don’t need Verizon et al for cell service? I thought they’d be working with Big Government.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Google Butt posted:

hows covid doing?

Pretty good, thanks for asking.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1700282023447834898

Luckily I got my first dose of natural immunity a week before my booster appointment.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

eXXon posted:

Luckily I got my first dose of natural immunity a week before my booster appointment.

covid looking healthy these days

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How do these spikes compare to annual flu numbers? I’m guessing still much worse.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

How do these spikes compare to annual flu numbers? I’m guessing still much worse.

Flu numbers are increasing in the SE but nowhere near putting up these numbers.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If they'd check waste water for flu, it'd probably be up there

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

eXXon posted:

Christ almighty why do I have 0 recollection of Dec 2021 being that nuts? I swear Covid has totally warped my sense of time. I remember moving to Los Angeles in December of 2020, and maybe a few weeks later it made news that EMS didn’t have enough resources to pick up people and hospitals were crazy full.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

buglord posted:

Christ almighty why do I have 0 recollection of Dec 2021 being that nuts? I swear Covid has totally warped my sense of time. I remember moving to Los Angeles in December of 2020, and maybe a few weeks later it made news that EMS didn’t have enough resources to pick up people and hospitals were crazy full.
:capitalism:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I distinctly remember the December 2021 surge because it was caused by everyone seeing the latest Spider-Man movie, and I'm only half-joking.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

buglord posted:

The winter 2021/2022 wave absolutely crushed the previous winter in case count due to newer and more transmissible variants (was it Omicron by then?), but largely since a whole lot more people had gotten the vaccine and/or virus already the hospitalization/mortality rate was far lower and peak deaths never reached the winter 2020/2021 high. Virus level tracking would naturally follow cases, and health system stress would track to hospitalizations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

buglord posted:

Because the actual health impact was less than you'd think based on that chart. It really shows how effective vaccination had been. Even though the wastewater data suggests there were way more infections in Jan 2022 than in Dec 2020, the number of COVID deaths per week was actually higher in Dec 2020 than it was in Jan 2022.

And while the number of hospitalizations per week in Jan 2022 did rise beyond the Dec 2020 peak, the spike didn't last nearly as long, so the total number of people hospitalized over the course of the spike was lower.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Killer robot posted:

The winter 2021/2022 wave absolutely crushed the previous winter in case count due to newer and more transmissible variants (was it Omicron by then?)

I'm certain it was the omicron wave happening, yeah. I worked at a Covid testing facility between 2021-2022 and that winter was by far the largest spike in cases we saw, and I remember we were all pretty certain it was the omicron strain we were hearing about. We saw increases from the delta variant too (that seemed to start in the summer of 2021) but it wasn't close to that winter's numbers.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Ventana posted:

I'm certain it was the omicron wave happening, yeah. I worked at a Covid testing facility between 2021-2022 and that winter was by far the largest spike in cases we saw, and I remember we were all pretty certain it was the omicron strain we were hearing about. We saw increases from the delta variant too (that seemed to start in the summer of 2021) but it wasn't close to that winter's numbers.

Yeah, it was Omicron.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7106a4.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

buglord posted:

My second Covid shot (and I believe third) were wicked on me, worse than my two covid infections. The worst was the body aches and what I could only describe as skin aches. Weirdly painful to have clothes on that rubbed against skin, which was most clothes. But I’ll take it over Covid or the risk of long Covid since both reactions were about 24 hours. I just gotta call Aetna and see if these are covered yet and also hope that the rep who confirms it to me is correct.

Something I don’t understand is, if these shots give us the ability to transmit 5G signal, wouldn’t that hurt Big Telecom if that means we don’t need Verizon et al for cell service? I thought they’d be working with Big Government.

Got the new jab yesterday and I'm having the same thing, got it once before on one of the initial boosters. The entire volume of my body hurts, from my bones out to my skin. Plus the pain in my shoulder where they injected of course. Tylenol helps but woof.