Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I dress like a girl and drink like a man. Please date-rape me.
Basically every single character in P5R I thought was annoying and/or worse than the P4G versions when first introduced and I ended up loving all of them by the end.

I’m now playing through Persona Q2, which only has Japanese voiceovers, and Rise’s and Teddie’s voices are really grating. Rise’s is extremely cutesy and using affectations to try and sound really young and Teddie has weird intonation and puts “kuma” in every word. I thought the English P4G voices for both were fine (Teddie was kind of annoying but not too bad) but the Japanese voices are making me rethink the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah Japanese Rise and Teddie are the two most common complaints about using Japanese voices. Which you don't get a choice with in Q2.

I don't know if I'd consider Q2 a cashgrab (it's not nearly popular enough to be considered as one) but when it's the only nuPersona game not to have English voices, it feels like they cut some corners there.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
My guess is that PQ1 didn't sell well enough to justify the cost of a dub for the sequel. Just some arcane numbers game in Atlus headquarters.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

They didn't bother dubbing the SJ re-release either, I think it was just "3ds old so don't bother"

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The biggest problem with Sumire is they're not in Strikers.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Tallgeese posted:

The biggest problem with Sumire is they're not in Strikers.

Sophia is a better redhead phantom thief anyway

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Waste of Breath posted:

Sophia is a better redhead phantom thief anyway

But what if they met?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Alacron posted:

But what if they met?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It is quite odd that Sumire was excluded from a spin-off that came after Royal.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Clarste posted:

It is quite odd that Sumire was excluded from a spin-off that came after Royal.

Royal and Strikers were being developed at the same time. There was about 4 months between their releases in Japan.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]

Alacron posted:

But what if they met?

and..??????

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Had a nice time. :unsmith:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cloacamazing! posted:

I think P5R was out first?
By over a year and a half, yeah. 10/2019 as opposed to 6/2021 for CE2, using the JP release dates.

Clarste posted:

My guess is that PQ1 didn't sell well enough to justify the cost of a dub for the sequel. Just some arcane numbers game in Atlus headquarters.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They didn't bother dubbing the SJ re-release either, I think it was just "3ds old so don't bother"
Yeah, I think it's just that the writing was on the wall for the 3DS by then, the Switch had been out for over a year by the time the NA localization for SJR released (two for PQ2) and Atlus were probably seeing their sales on 3DS software spiraling down the toilet drain at that time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I don't understand the question

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
the Phantom Thieves have too many redheads anyway, they need a quota

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

YaketySass posted:

the Phantom Thieves have too many redheads anyway, they need a quota
There's probably a "black hair Futaba" mod out there.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Atlus does love their bottle blonds (and redheads)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

blossommirage posted:

I've completed Persona 3 ten times and I don't think I've ever used Koro in my party ever. Not that he's bad, he's just a good boy and I don't want him to get hurt. Aki Ken and Aigis are the ideal party imo.

"I want literal children and brainwashed robots to die."

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah I said this before but we have a bit of footage showing Koromaru using Getsu-ei, a physical skill he never learned in any of the three P3 versions we've gotten, so skill lists are getting remixed at least a hair.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Koro never tried to kill a party member

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I respect Ken more for that, personally.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

anakha posted:

Atlus does love their bottle blonds (and redheads)

I like that most games would be like ‘uhh yeah that guy totally has naturally blue hair’ but P4 clearly establishes that Yosuke, Chie and Kanji all dye their hair.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Kanji, yes, but when does that happen for the others?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
From the art book, I presume.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

YaketySass posted:

Kanji, yes, but when does that happen for the others?

Artbook yeah, and in Persona Q if you play on the P3 side, Yosuke is first described as 'boy with dyed hair'.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
So Yu Narukami went grey immediately.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Playing through the remaster of P3P in anticipation of Reload is making me grateful beyond words for the difficulty and experience modifiers, guys the combat and dungeon crawling in P3 loving sucks and is an unbearable slog. The soundtrack and knowledge that the final act is the greatest thing the series has ever done is getting me through.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Neeksy posted:

So Yu Narukami went grey immediately.

He has Steve Martin Syndrome.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

this is the interaction in P5R that got maybe the biggest single laugh out of me

i'm currently reading through the backlog of this thread because i'm an insane person i guess, but it's very fun reading up on all the reactions to the game

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Adrianics posted:

Playing through the remaster of P3P in anticipation of Reload is making me grateful beyond words for the difficulty and experience modifiers, guys the combat and dungeon crawling in P3 loving sucks and is an unbearable slog. The soundtrack and knowledge that the final act is the greatest thing the series has ever done is getting me through.

:yeah:

It'd been a long time since I played P3P earlier this year and I forgot how tedious it was until I compared to P5 and even mementos. I was mostly motivated by FeMC and the nostalgia to get through them all.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Someone posted the chorus from the new arrangement of Mass Destruction:

https://twitter.com/NSuperGamerGuy/status/1704144564439662664

Ehhhhhhh, it's kinda lost its edge without Yumi Kawamura

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Even Lotus Juice sounds tired. Why'd they do this again?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

Agreed. I don't like it lol. At least someone will probably mod in the OG day 1 on PC.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't even think it's the vocalist's fault, mostly. A lot of it's just the mixing. Like, this singer can't replicate the edge of Kawamura's voice, but the original song also seemed to have some slight reverb on the chorus that made the exclamations pop and this doesn't.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The instrumentation sounds like actual trumpets and poo poo instead of synthesized on a keyboard and something integral to the song is lost in the process.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

the female vocalist sounds very fandub

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

LMFAO I was gonna say this felt like the equivalent of the VA work in that Female Joker mod.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Agreed. I don't like it lol. At least someone will probably mod in the OG day 1 on PC.

I doubt you'll need it and it will be like one of those costumes in p5r that changed the soundtrack

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

HootTheOwl posted:

I doubt you'll need it and it will be like one of those costumes in p5r that changed the soundtrack

But it also swaps in the old Fuuka VA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I agree that the song's mixing is a big problem, there's no reverb or doubling, which gives this final version a more 'clean' sound, sure, but that sacrifices the texture, leaving an underwhelming comparison.