Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

ashpanash posted:

Yeah, this was my take, too. People were attracted to her because (in the story) she was literally designed that way. Like she had overwhelming subspace psychic pheromones or something. And everyone on the Enterprise was freaked out and disturbed by it. But that doesn't mean there aren't situations where you have to grin and bear it for the sake of diplomacy. And that also doesn't mean that you aren't affected by the same forces everyone else is.

The real disturbing part is definitely the end, because Picard (and the audience) think they're doing the right thing by not indulging carnally and just approaching it intellectually, but it turns out it doesn't matter. She was designed to mate and that's exactly what she did, and her life is probably going to be worse off for it. A good ol' twilight zone twist: 'Nice try, rear end in a top hat.'

one particular read of the ending that I like is that she's just reflexively giving Picard exactly the kind of goodbye a stoic, married-to-the-sea captain like him would want, that he's more satisfied with grimly seeing her off with a "hope he likes Shakespeare, too" than he would be with actually marrying her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No Dignity posted:

Symbiosis, one of the worst prime directive episodes or the worst prime directive episode?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Chairman posted:

one particular read of the ending that I like is that she's just reflexively giving Picard exactly the kind of goodbye a stoic, married-to-the-sea captain like him would want, that he's more satisfied with grimly seeing her off with a "hope he likes Shakespeare, too" than he would be with actually marrying her

That was my take away. Picard acts contemptibly in that episode, he doesn't even realise he's just made her induldge his own fetish for repression and sacrifice

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Picard's rationale is just so self-serving too! They're a space faring civilisation, not primitive natives and he already interfered in their affairs when he saved their lives at the start of the episode, but then he ignores any avenue that could give them a more positive (or at least informed) outcome, he's just playing god from a ivory tower and congratulating himself for his wisdom, it's contemptible.

Uhhhh also this has been the anti-Picard hour, thank you or listening

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

No Dignity posted:

Symbiosis, one of the worst prime directive episodes or the worst prime directive episode?

Hmm, I still think the one where Dr Phlox does a genocide is worse.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

No Dignity posted:

Nope. Homeward is worse, or maybe the Phlox episode too; haven't seen that one.

"Hmmm...civilization is about to be completely wiped out by an asteroid? Well, at what level of tech are they - pre-warp? R.I.P, I guess." The problem is not with the Prime Directive but the weirdly fundamentalist way in which it is followed in TNG.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

No Dignity posted:

Picard's rationale is just so self-serving too! They're a space faring civilisation, not primitive natives and he already interfered in their affairs when he saved their lives at the start of the episode, but then he ignores any avenue that could give them a more positive (or at least informed) outcome, he's just playing god from a ivory tower and congratulating himself for his wisdom, it's contemptible.

Uhhhh also this has been the anti-Picard hour, thank you or listening

The video by the Freeman's mind guy about that episode is pretty great, and I have to wonder if the LD guys saw it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lQ1XIrXjls

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Wasn't gonna watch something that long anyways but immediately noped out when I heard "skipped Deep Space Nine... and watched Voyager"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fifteen minutes is positively concise for a modern youtube video about a thing, I gave it a look and it's a pretty good rundown about why the apocalypse shown in Lower Decks was going to happen. Hadn't considered that the posh planet would go into abject starvation without agriculture of their own, but that's a pretty clear implication of the scenario laid out too

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Hollismason posted:

DS9 has Rom flat out stating that he masterbates a tremendous amount and then someone saying "Oh Ron".

Yeah in Bar Association the whole plot kicks off from Rom having an ear infection from too much solo oo-mox.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
starting season 3 of enterprise and they really are leaning hard on space 9/11, almost expecting to see some crying eagles or something ooorah let's roll

second half of season 2 got even more poo poo apart from "judgment"- which was also pretty poo poo, save from hertzler showing up and doing his thing- maybe one or two others scraped a borderline watchable rating, otherwise all utterly forgettable poo poo that I probably won't ever watch again and I'm glad to be past

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DesperateDan posted:

starting season 3 of enterprise and they really are leaning hard on space 9/11, almost expecting to see some crying eagles or something ooorah let's roll

second half of season 2 got even more poo poo apart from "judgment"- which was also pretty poo poo, save from hertzler showing up and doing his thing- maybe one or two others scraped a borderline watchable rating, otherwise all utterly forgettable poo poo that I probably won't ever watch again and I'm glad to be past
The Borg one was good, I rewatched it a few months ago

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Borg one was good, I rewatched it a few months ago

it wasn't the worst episode but I couldn't buy that starfleet would just seemingly entirely forget about the impending borg invasion in the meantime, no-one wrote any of that poo poo down like it might come in handy in the future or examined the borg bodies or ship wreckage etc for useful information/technology etc just forget about it it's not like you want an advantage or to be prepared!

"cease fire" is also alright but that's largely down to combs showing up

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Said it before: the Borg incident was like Roswell to the Federation. They have no idea who those guys are, where they came from, or if they'll ever be back. So everything about them gets thrown in a filing cabinet in that Ark of the Covenant warehouse to be covered up and forgotten.

Also for these reasons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTHB8iC1C0E

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

DesperateDan posted:

And everyone gets a chance to wear the Ugly American hat! (except T'Pol, who just gets another few helpings of trauma on her already well laden plate)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I finally got the last Eaglemoss ship I needed:

Since it's coming from the UK, the shipping was almost as much as the ship.

Still better than what's on ebay:

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
Started rewatching Voyager and am now in season 2 and the Neelix jealousy stuff is non-stop, some of the worst TV writing I've ever had the displeasure of watching. I can't believe some incel who finally found himself a 1 and a half year old girlfriend was allowed to be the focus of B and C plots for this long. At least Bashir's creepiness was over relatively quickly.

But then there's a line like B'Elanna saying with complete sincerity "Get this cheese to sickbay!" and I decide to keep watching.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/dNyxfyQ.mp4

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I love that even by Starfleet standards, a lot of the poo poo Voyager ran into was considered outside context problems.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Chiapparini, crushed beneath his parmesan!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Snowmanatee posted:

Started rewatching Voyager and am now in season 2 and the Neelix jealousy stuff is non-stop, some of the worst TV writing I've ever had the displeasure of watching. I can't believe some incel who finally found himself a 1 and a half year old girlfriend was allowed to be the focus of B and C plots for this long. At least Bashir's creepiness was over relatively quickly.
Yes I noticed that on my rewatch...they made him into an awful character, even worse than the Season 1 stuff because he spends like 5-6 episodes freaking out that Kes is having to work with Tom Paris and assuming that they are secretly loving

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Neelix is honestly mostly OK by me once they write Kes out, but those first three seasons made him the most unlikeable main cast member from any "Trek."

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

jeeves posted:

Yeah in Bar Association the whole plot kicks off from Rom having an ear infection from too much solo oo-mox.

Also since its Riker going off to holodeck 4, then it comes up a lot in DS9 and even in Voyager once or twice.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Imaginary Friend was dreadful enough that I was not sitting at the tv, I sort of gradually shifted over to the middle of the room as the episode dragged on, sat on the carpet with my allen key set and started tightening the loose bolts in one of my chairs, occasionally glancing at the screen. The last act might as well have been a radio play for all I cared. Always nice to see the Mutara nebula again, even if it is on its period. That's about all I can say for it.

I, Borg. Time for the return of Star Trek's greatest monster! Captain Picard! Also, there is a Borg sad boi which is the least surprising thing about the episode. It's like when you title something "Q's Machine Gun Rampage" or "Orgy of the Daleks". You know what you're in for. But yeah, this is a good follow up, not so much on the Borg, but on where Picard and co are with the Borg. One thing it's made me realise is, I've never talked about how good Whoopi is as Guinan. She gives off such an otherworldly air, it's fantastic. And it's fantastic seeing her being challenged like she is here, before imparting her wisdom to Picard who is intent on a pretty convenient but morally horrid goal. The actor playing Hugh manages to evoke a huge amount of empathy for a character where the he's only got half a face and a monotone voice to work with and is covered in a comical amount of random poo poo (I swear I glimpsed some big headphone cushions stuck to his arse). It was good.

MuddyFunster fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 19, 2023

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Tighclops posted:

I'm not sure but I think The Perfect Mate has Star Trek's only masturbation joke/reference

I like the idea that Picard "trying to play his flute" but everyone keeps interrupting him as an elaborate masturbation joke.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

V-Men posted:

I like the idea that Picard "trying to play his flute" but everyone keeps interrupting him as an elaborate masturbation joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rYMykaNW6s

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
A couple tonight that I have actually seen before, probably back to back on the Sky box in the early 00s, stoned in my chair, too blasted to change channel and mumbling "Whoa, trippy".

The Next Phase is basically Ro and Geordie going about the Enterprise with noclip and notarget activated. Thankfully, they can't clip through floors, though one poor Romulan does get kicked out of the level boundaries and into the skybox. It's a fun one, nice sense of urgency, though it's a bit flatly shot and lit. Yeah, alright. The Romulans turning out to be EEEEEEEEEEEVIL is kind of a letdown.

The Inner Light is sublime. Oh, yet again, I could pick at the daft, overdone old age makeup that makes Picard/Kamin look like he wants to go back to the beginning of the season and put some money on the Cubbies. I could. But it's churlish. It doesn't get in the way of what is another great tearjerker. I've a suspicion on that stoned night, I might have gotten bored or fallen asleep during this one and missed the end entirely, because I have no memory of how it finished. So with that in mind, EXCELLENT, PERFECT, AMAZING, Jesus did I get swept up in that. Patrick Stewart carries all of this amazingly, that really should go without saying. But also, man's RIPPED under that uniform, holy poo poo, them arms.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I've shared this anecdote before but the guy who wrote The Inner Light came to talk to my tv writing class in college originally pitched the probe as an ancient advertising buoy but it was nixed, and he had to fight to get the flute kept in the script.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Didn’t he write a comic strip sequel to The Inner Light around its 25th anniversary?

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.

Tighclops posted:

I'm not sure but I think The Perfect Mate has Star Trek's only masturbation joke/reference

I guess Lower Decks is cheating...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MuddyFunster posted:

Picard who is intent on a pretty convenient but morally horrid goal.

As opposed to what they settle on, a morally convenient but pretty horrid goal.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Zaroff posted:

Didn’t he write a comic strip sequel to The Inner Light around its 25th anniversary?

It seems to have completely vanished online and any discussion of it seems... pretty far from positive

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I started my trek through TOS season 3 last night.

I didn't hate Spock's Brain, but it was also very annoying.

Also Scotty is rocking a new hairpiece and it is very yikes.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

McSpanky posted:

As opposed to what they settle on, a morally convenient but pretty horrid goal.

Yeah, that's fair. It's actually a bit cowardly that they lay it all on Hugh's lap.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Man, killing the borg is the smallest ethical dilemma in trek. It's a hivemind, you're just killing one guy, you kill at least one guy by accident in half the episodes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There's not really any nuance to the Borg so genocide just kind of becomes a moral good in their case, considering that destroying them is the only way to prevent a vast number of other genocides of species who didn't have to coming

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I'm gonna do it.

I'm gonna watch Voyager for the first time.

Can't be as bad as Picard S1, right? :v:

e: oh hey it opens with an opening crawl. I am sure this Marquis stuff will be relevant past the first episode! :v:

Ooof. Tom Paris is pretty problematic this episode. First sexually harassing the pilot of the shuttle and then being racist against Chakotay.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 20, 2023

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

One thing to note when you see any scene with Chokotay is that they hired a Native American consultant who turned out to be a fraud and a con man

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

One thing to note when you see any scene with Chokotay is that they hired a Native American consultant who turned out to be a fraud and a con man

Even worse: he didn't "turn out" to be a fraud and a con man, he was outed as such multiple times in the '80s, culminating in a 1984 Washington Post exposé. And then ten years later they hired him for Voyager anyway because that was the amount of effort Berman and crew were willing to put into representation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

I started my trek through TOS season 3 last night.

I didn't hate Spock's Brain, but it was also very annoying.

Also Scotty is rocking a new hairpiece and it is very yikes.
Season 3 is rough. Definitely a major slog outside of a couple of decent episodes.