Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Oh, I agree.

But CBJ doesn't want a GM search when camp starts in a couple days

Wouldn't now be the best time to bring in a GM? Draft and FAs done so while not ideal, it gives the new guy all of camp to check out the roster before the season starts. For the most part teams are all relatively satisfied or at least resigned to going into camp with their guys so other than possibly some larger moves that have been talked about for awhile (ie Nylander-esque discussions) so there's no FOMO in not having a GM for a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Oh, I agree.

But CBJ doesn't want a GM search when camp starts in a couple days

plus why go into panic hiring mode when you can wait a few months for the midseason panic firings to assess the market

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

pseudodragon posted:

Wouldn't now be the best time to bring in a GM? Draft and FAs done so while not ideal, it gives the new guy all of camp to check out the roster before the season starts. For the most part teams are all relatively satisfied or at least resigned to going into camp with their guys so other than possibly some larger moves that have been talked about for awhile (ie Nylander-esque discussions) so there's no FOMO in not having a GM for a minute.

Yeah, but it takes a while to find a new GM. Not like they're just gonna look at the list of dudes who failed as nhl GMs and got canned multiple times and just pick any of them. C'mon now.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Who's on their last legs this season anyhow
Cheveldayoff maybe? He's about the only sure bet I'd put down, if the Jets tank it

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

One of the important details of the Babcock thing is that he did the phone deal at previous stops. And one of the players was appointed to get in touch with new roster additions to warn them before their first meeting with Babcock.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Cheveldayoff maybe? He's about the only sure bet I'd put down, if the Jets tank it

It is Ron Hextall's time to shine!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/1704253151589654895?t=veVsoFoXGY1muSDdGZQ38A&s=19

Lol keep on flipping for picks Hughes take it everyday

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

I was this many years old when I learned DeSmith had to go in an diversion program for beating his college girlfriend. In short gently caress that dude, even if I am a decade late.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Canucks clearing cap to sign Petey I guess?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My favorite part of the Babcock stories there is that he was only in Anaheim for his first 2 seasons as coach.

So he was just that prick from the jump, as a loving rookie coach.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Canucks clearing cap to sign Petey I guess?

No to be compliant. They had been banking on Pearson being on LTIR all year but he got healthy and they were trapped. Oh well at least they have a real backup now. Another pick flushed away just to get under the cap.

Pettersson already said he's not negotiating until after the season. He's likely gone if they don't have a big season.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Man the lunch story is so funny. It's bad, obviously, but it's also such a stupid power move to pull. So funny to imagine a 60 year old man working that master plan up in his lab.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

No to be compliant. They had been banking on Pearson being on LTIR all year but he got healthy and they were trapped. Oh well at least they have a real backup now. Another pick flushed away just to get under the cap.

Pettersson already said he's not negotiating until after the season. He's likely gone if they don't have a big season.

And the habs are like 7 million over the cap and Hughes said the plan was to put Carey on regular season LTI so get in line to pickup some overpriced hab players nhl gms

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Preseasons sometimes blend into each other so I forget: did we already have one of those incidents where some 225lb nobody tries to make an impression and ends up braining the team's top prospect during a practice? Because that is the one situation where I'd be ok with the coach making that "last time you'll be sitting on an NHL bench" remark.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
scotty made a similar comment to holmstrom way back when

quote:

In March 1998, late in his second season with the Detroit Red Wings, Holmstrom gave up No. 15 to newly acquired veteran Dmitri Mironov. He switched to No. 96 to honor the year he arrived in the NHL, but coach Scotty Bowman suggested something else.

The details have gotten hazy, and they depend on who you talk to. But the conversation went something like this:

"You should wear 98," Bowman said.

"What do you mean?" Holmstrom said. "Why?"

"Because that's the year you'll be going home."

but somehow most of the players from those days either seem to like scotty now or at least dont actively hate him.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
What's the likelihood that players will have a second cell phone on hand with no personal data on it minus a SIM card?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

clean ayers act posted:

but somehow most of the players from those days either seem to like scotty now or at least dont actively hate him.

The sense I've always gotten from pro sports is that players don't mind playing for coach dickhead as long as they are honest, and they are win.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Call Your Grandma posted:

Preseasons sometimes blend into each other so I forget: did we already have one of those incidents where some 225lb nobody tries to make an impression and ends up braining the team's top prospect during a practice? Because that is the one situation where I'd be ok with the coach making that "last time you'll be sitting on an NHL bench" remark.

That was Roni Hirvonen in the summer rookie camp, but he's back. Also the guy who brained him got an AHL contract.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kinda funny because Desmith's dad is apparently a huge Habs fan and was excited about him being on Montreal and he just ups and gets traded immediately

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ken Holland is done after this year in Edmonton regardless of how the season goes.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Simplex posted:

The sense I've always gotten from pro sports is that players don't mind playing for coach dickhead as long as they are honest, and they are win.

This is obviously one of those subjective things that is different from person to person. The same coach that one player might perform under a hard rear end because he gets challenged and he responds well to that kind of management style might be the guy that another player implodes under and never reaches his potential.

I think the baseline that's hopefully developed in the sport now is that the players at a minimum will demand respect from their coaches for themselves and their team-mates. You can see last season for example how awful things went in Calgary and how poorly the Flames players responded to Sutter making GBS threads on that one rookie that they called up to make his NHL debut.

Of course the place where hockey players have the least power and are probably subjected to the worst kinds of abuses is in the junior leagues where you have non-professional kids being coached by people who basically run their entire life during hockey season.. hopefully things are getting better there too.

I remember a story that Ken Hitchcock used to tell as an example about how he had to update his coaching methods with the times was how when he was a coach in the WHL back in the 80's he did stuff that would probably land him in jail these days, like deserting his team after a road game that he judged to be a poor result and telling them to figure out for themselves how to hitch-hike back to Kamloops in time for practice the next day. I don't know how any of his players from those days feel about him today but I can't imagine their memories are too rosy when it comes to him despite all the success that team had.

**Of course the best part about when he tells that story is that he always qualifies it with "luckily nobody was ever hurt or died when I did that" so it's ok to laugh at as a crazy thing that happened back in the 80's

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 20, 2023

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The alternative is to try someone new and one time the new guy made everyone eat fruit so we're not trying that again.

Fake edit: give Bruce another run. He's fun.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cocaine Bear posted:

The alternative is to try someone new and one time the new guy made everyone eat fruit so we're not trying that again.

Fake edit: give Bruce another run. He's fun.

Who was supposed to bring the orange slices today, was it Johnny's mom that signed up for it?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Starsfan posted:

This is obviously one of those subjective things that is different from person to person. The same coach that one player might perform under a hard rear end because he gets challenged and he responds well to that kind of management style might be the guy that another player implodes under and never reaches his potential.

I think the baseline that's hopefully developed in the sport now is that the players at a minimum will demand respect from their coaches for themselves and their team-mates. You can see last season for example how awful things went in Calgary and how poorly the Flames players responded to Sutter making GBS threads on that one rookie that they called up to make his NHL debut.

Of course the place where hockey players have the least power and are probably subjected to the worst kinds of abuses is in the junior leagues where you have non-professional kids being coached by people who basically run their entire life during hockey season.. hopefully things are getting better there too.

I remember a story that Ken Hitchcock used to tell as an example about how he had to update his coaching methods with the times was how when he was a coach in the WHL back in the 80's he did stuff that would probably land him in jail these days, like deserting his team after a road game that he judged to be a poor result and telling them to figure out for themselves how to hitch-hike back to Kamloops in time for practice the next day. I don't know how any of his players from those days feel about him today but I can't imagine their memories are too rosy when it comes to him despite all the success that team had.

**Of course the best part about when he tells that story is that he always qualifies it with "luckily nobody was ever hurt or died when I did that" so it's ok to laugh at as a crazy thing that happened back in the 80's

I've just noticed that snake is a pretty common adjective used to describe those coaches whom everybody just hates. Like one of Mike Commodore's stories about why he hates Babcock is that Babcock lied to him about what his role would be to get him to sign for his final year in Detroit.

With famously abrasive coaches like Bowman, or Belichick, or someone, you don't really hear those kind of stories. The stories about them tend to be more along the lines that it was the worst day of your life if you were the one who hosed something up and drew the coaches ire.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Another oft injured bottom 6 forward to throw on the pile. 3rd is better than I thought we’d get for DeSmith though.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Successful people (men) can get away with some vile poo poo

Unsuccessful ones too but the successful ones are worse

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Vegas won da cup baby

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

plus why go into panic hiring mode when you can wait a few months for the midseason panic firings to assess the market

I bet they’ll be speaking to all the available AGMs and then make the switch by December when the Blue Jackets are already out of the playoffs again

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ken Holland is done after this year in Edmonton regardless of how the season goes.

You severely underestimate Holland’s ability to keep his job 7 years after he should have been taken out back and beaten with a rubber hose.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You severely underestimate Holland’s ability to keep his job 7 years after he should have been taken out back and beaten with a rubber hose.

Nah his contract is up this year, hes dodged every question about it and they just replaced the CEO. He's gone.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Coincidentally I'll bet a former coach of his would be pretty into this

stab
Feb 12, 2003

AntiDepressor posted:

Another oft injured bottom 6 forward to throw on the pile. 3rd is better than I thought we’d get for DeSmith though.

Expiring contract so if he sucks rear end who cares and if he sucks less rear end we can get a 4th or 5th so yeah gimme all the picks

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Ken Holland turns 68 in a few months and he's already in the Hall of Fame. He either retires this summer or goes full Lou and never retires, GMing either the Blue Jackets or Jets for a decade in a half until they're all 35+.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Whats Holmgren up to these days?

I miss the Flyers Soon gif.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

clean ayers act posted:

Because Scotty turned Holmstrom into a four-time Cup champion, instead of bullying him back to Sweden over multiple seasons.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

T-Bone posted:

Hitting on Jiricek, Johnson, and Fantilli is pretty important, and then you've got Mateychuk who is trending very well, Dumais (3rd rounder, 140 points last year in the Q), Marchenko (2nd rounder, looks like a very good hit), Chinakhov (looks like good value at #21).

They've got a top 5 system at worst, probably more like top 3. Hiring Babcock should still lead to him being canned though.

I'd agree that before this I would consider him a "good GM" pending the actual outcome of these prospects, although even Hextall looked decent for a bit at the start of the Flyers rebuild too.

fawning deference posted:

Last year they lost a record amount of games to injury and it was a throw away season out of the control of the GM. It would be ridiculous to deny that Columbus has a top 3 or 4 prospect pool with a potential franchise center in Fantilli. The Jackets haven't been that good or that inspiring, but Jarmo has been slowly building a team that looks set to be fun and competitive for a nice window in the near future.

Babcock incident is a comical failure but if we are strictly talking about team-building, there are much worse situations for teams to be in than the Jackets.

fawning deference posted:

Exactly.

Marchenko, Sillinger, Tarasov, and Johnson are already NHL players with nice ceilings. Coming in they've got Fantilli, Jiricek, Mateychuk, and a handful of other solid B/C prospects.

I'm taking a shot at CBJ lines even though nobody asked. (*-Waiver ineligible)

Gaudreau-Jenner-Marchenko*
-Known commodity, Center who can benefit from "rising tides floats boats" 'til Fantilli moves up, 22-year old who potted 21 in 59 on a Bad and also Busted hockey team last year.
Laine-Fantilli*-Johnson*
-Shooty man who was a PPG the last two seasons, Potential franchise center getting less minutes right out of the gate, 40-point rookie with skill who feels like he's got another gear.
Roslovic-Voronkov*-Sillinger*
-Jack has to go somewhere, Physical 3C who potted 18 in the KHL last year and went on to a healthy playoff output, 20-year old who sophomore slumped hard and has his very own diss track from a Canadian pop star!
Texier-Kuraly-Robinson
-This line worked about as well as you'd hope for a fourth line a couple years ago. It also was decent with Mathieu Olivier on the wing after Tex went home on the mental health program.
Scratches- Chinakhov*, Olivier, Danforth, I forgot all about Liam Foudy
-Slot in the guys on one-way deals if the kids need polishing in the AHL. Chinakhov has a Bjorkstrand-esque laser and could easily slot in in the bottom six.

This ignores those in the pipeline, primarily Jordan Dumais and Gavin Brindley.

Werenski-Severson
-Former 20 goal scorer defenseman and his new wingman until it either works or Jiricek is ready.
Provorov-Boqvist
-Keep Provy away from the Short North and he'll be fine, Nice 2nd pair RD until he gets hurt.
Blankenburg*-Gudbranson
-Blanks is a spark plug, Gudbranson is
Scratches- Peeke, Bean, Jiricek*
-Peeke sucks, Bean is fine, Jiricek will be dangerous and the question is when. Again, if you have to, send the kids down if you have to.

Mateychuk, Svozil, Knazko in the pipeline.

Elvis
Tarasov
-Just get Elvis into the 2's and .900+, please, I beg of you.

e- There's also the possibility of Johnson, Sillinger, Roslovic, Texier, and Laine playing down the middle if needed.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 20, 2023

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

The Athletic posted:

The Canadiens now have two picks in each of the first four rounds in 2025, and three of those extra picks have come as a result of re-acquiring and re-trading Jeff Petry.

Let's do it again. Let's really see how many picks we can squeeze out of ol' Jeffy P.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

AntiDepressor posted:

It’s incredibly dumb that Vancouver, a team still much closer to drafting first than a cup is spending draft picks to be cap compliant..

But given we’re in that world, I don’t hate this. If they are going to make the playoffs they likely need to go at 500 when Demko isn’t playing. Silovs might be very good in time, and Martin is serviceable, but you would expect both to have more really bad starts than the Canucks can afford. Not to mention Martin was fine last year in managed starts, but fell apart when Demko was injured. Atleast now Demko can catch a bad cold and not automatically sink the season.

They still have a oversupply of 3rd line wingers, but a little more balanced.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
I’m still mad at Babcock telling that dude he’ll never play in the NHL again like that. What a loving monster. Glad this is his legacy now.

So how about that Hockey Canada report now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Nah his contract is up this year, hes dodged every question about it and they just replaced the CEO. He's gone.

Very excited to see what trade deadline moves a Ken Holland with no job security decides to make