Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I'm genuinely amazed that there was still $200 million in crypto to steal. Or is this a case where it's "$200 million".

I know what you mean. There's still fools waiting to be parted? I though this process was supposed to be quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Bonerium sounds like the name of a crypto coin Futurama would use in a parody.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
My Bonerium suddenly rose before abruptly collapsing. I cannot get it back up - please help.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
#Bonerscan

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

My only regret… is that I rugged… Bonerium

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Big rear end On Fire posted:

It's all fantasy.

Everyone who posts in this thread will be in possession of my new Page2133Coin, valued at (currently) $386,000. Each new page will multiply the value of your coin by 1.4.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Welp, time for a new thread!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Why don't they just join a creative storytelling or improv theatre group if they want a community centered around writing your own fiction?

Can you even imagine how bad a D&D group these people would make?

Pff
Aug 17, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Can you even imagine how bad a D&D group these people would make?

"I scribe the runes 'up, up, down, down, left ..."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pff posted:

"I scribe the runes 'up, up, down, down, left ..."

That's also what I do. Ladies love it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/davidzmorris/status/1704090080694915472?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They exploited their access
To expropriate assets

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
man stanford law just isn't looking good right now

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Alan Smithee posted:

man stanford law just isn't looking good right now

it never has lol. did you listen to the behind the bastards about SBF? his parents personally helped a bunch of silicon valley ghouls hide money to avoid any taxes. they did this as supposed ethics professors...literally a whole family of gaslighting scammers.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1704150368496529733

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

it never has lol. did you listen to the behind the bastards about SBF? his parents personally helped a bunch of silicon valley ghouls hide money to avoid any taxes. they did this as supposed ethics professors...literally a whole family of gaslighting scammers.

Ethics professors are consistently the least ethical people around.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Bankman and Fried’s FTXcellent Adventure

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ariong posted:

Bankman and Fried’s FTXcellent Adventure

That whole thread with the back and forth between the judge, prosecutor, and defense is worth a read. Some good poo poo in there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So there is a strong possibility Bankman Fried's parent paid for his bail with the funds they got from FTX? Lmao.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

So there is a strong possibility Bankman Fried's parent paid for his bail with the funds they got from FTX? Lmao.

Stanford is all about effective altruism, so long as you are the benefactor!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Sammy's a good little boy, just trying to scam enough money to keep his parents housed, please go easy on him :buddy:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Tunicate posted:

Knowing a lot about ethics and doing bad things aren't mutually exclusive! If you want to consistently do bad things, you need to be able to identify what things are good and what things are bad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tunicate posted:

Easy to game the system when you know all the ethical ins and outs.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cyrano4747 posted:

That whole thread with the back and forth between the judge, prosecutor, and defense is worth a read. Some good poo poo in there.

Is there currently a good way of reading Twitter threads if you don’t have a Twitter account?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Ariong posted:

Is there currently a good way of reading Twitter threads if you don’t have a Twitter account?

Nitter.net

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ariong posted:

Tch, if you don't just have Enrique read the threads to you, doing different voices for each poster.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There is no good way of reading Twitter threads. They all involve reading Twitter threads which I can't recommend.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

Ariong posted:

Get the Redirector plugin for Firefox or Chrome. Then set up a redirect:
code:
Include pattern: https://twitter.com/*
Redirect to: https://nitter.net/$1
Pattern type: wildcard

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Wolfsbane posted:

Nitter.net

Oh cool, I tried to use Nitter last week or so and the site wouldn't load so I assumed Musk did something or another to make it stop working.

JammyB posted:

Get the Redirector plugin for Firefox or Chrome. Then set up a redirect:
code:
Include pattern: https://twitter.com/*
Redirect to: https://nitter.net/$1
Pattern type: wildcard

Hey this works great, thanks!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

https://twitter.com/davidzmorris/status/1704113223216111841?s=20

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

someone who reaches the point where they are a “professor of ethics” is someone who treats ethics as a game totally divorced from morals. if ethics is just a set of rules then a smart enough person can game those rules and be “ethical” while being utterly evil and selfish and that’s just what “effective altruism” is.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

To argue that a lack of free will means that punishment is not useful is merely an excuse to avoid punishment. You could easily say the opposite. If one lacks free will, then their choices are strictly determined by their environment, and a robust and harsh system of punishment would be a necessary part of the environment to dissuade free will-less beings from committing crimes.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

someone who reaches the point where they are a “professor of ethics” is someone who treats ethics as a game totally divorced from morals. if ethics is just a set of rules then a smart enough person can game those rules and be “ethical” while being utterly evil and selfish and that’s just what “effective altruism” is.

I found this a compelling argument.

I don't know how to write that and sound honest, but I'm serious. It changed my mind.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

https://nitter.net/davidzmorris/status/1704093681685352746#m
Whole thread is worth a read, and quite crazy. Explicit criminal enterprise.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

There's business school 'professors of ethics' that are strictly about 'what does the SEC when they say 'engaged in an ethical manner'?', and there are philosophy department 'professors of ethics' which actually cares about the social and cultural underpinnings of 'ethical'.

You can guess which one she'll end up being.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Whole thread is worth a read, and quite crazy. Explicit criminal enterprise.

wow, the crime apple doesnt fall far from the crime tree

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

So SBF's mom is basically Ayn Rand, and his dad is just a dumbass criminal? I mean, not surprising, but it is incredibly banal.

EagleEye
Jun 4, 2011
Nah, Ayn Rand had terrible ideas because she had no idea how capitalism worked. Barbara Fried-Shrimp had terrible ideas because she knew exactly how capitalism worked.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

So SBF's mom is basically Ayn Rand, and his dad is just a dumbass criminal? I mean, not surprising, but it is incredibly banal.

Even better it looks more and more like they setup their own kid to take the fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Now there's effective altruism.

"Wow our kid sucks, how can we take him out of society"