Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

U-DO Burger posted:

sounds like too much of a hassle, imo just get covid and procure nature's vaccine for free

That's literally the idea, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Bridge program to nowhere

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
wife just tried to get a flu vaccine at walgreens and waited 20 minutes unacknowledged at the pharmacy at appointment time. went across the street street to cvs and was told to sign up on a kiosk computer stuck on a loading screen lol

no flu vaccine today

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

spiritual bypass posted:

wife just tried to get a flu vaccine at walgreens and waited 20 minutes unacknowledged at the pharmacy at appointment time. went across the street street to cvs and was told to sign up on a kiosk computer stuck on a loading screen lol

no flu vaccine today

we hav th tool

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Pingui posted:

What's the update?

Oooof.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Zugzwang posted:

The virus does so much crap in the body, I think it's probably best to think of any of its effects/sequelae (long covid especially) as multifactorial, both in terms of causes and risk factors. So yeah, we might have found the cause, or a major cause, but not the cause of all cases.

https://www.cell.com/iscience/fullt...Fshowall%3Dtrue

(..) gene network analyses identified eight causal proteins and 141 highly connected hub proteins including 35 with known drug targets. Our findings provide distinctive prognostic biomarkers for two severe COVID-19 outcomes, reveal their relationship to Alzheimer’s disease and coronary artery disease, and identify potential therapeutic targets for COVID-19 outcomes.

Several small-scale proteomic studies found that patients infected with SARS-CoV-2 had elevated pro-inflammatory cytokines including IL-6,17,18 IL-1β17,19,20,21 and TNF.19,21 Proteins associated with neutrophil degranulation have also been shown to be upregulated in COVID-19 patients,22 suggesting that targeting these pathways in conjunction with antiviral medicine may provide an effective treatment for severe cases.

Cytokine and immune related pathways
Among key immunopathological consequences of severe COVID-19, a cytokine storm, characterized by elevated levels of pro-inflammatory mediators, is shown to be a central feature.23 The proteins identified and replicated for COVID-19 infection were significantly enriched in cytokine signaling in immune system (GO:0034097; FDR = 7.5 × 10−3), including IL-1Ra, IL-21 sR, and CSF-1.

Alzheimer’s disease (AD) related pathways
Central nervous system (CNS) damage can be present early in the course of COVID-19. Several proteins associated with COVID-19 outcomes in this study are part of the AD pathway (disease gene network C0276496; FDR = 1.0 × 10−2 for infection). Proteins that are in this AD pathway and associated with COVID-19 outcomes include APP, NFL, EPHA5, TMEM106B, MAPT, and GFAP among others

Among the 332 COVID-19 cases, 63 individuals died in 36.2 ± 41.2 days after hospital admission. We identified 2,101 proteins (1,215 upregulated and 886 downregulated) associated with death in discovery (Tables S2 and S5). Out of 2,101 proteins, 297 were replicated in the same direction. A total of 253 proteins (235 upregulated and 18 downregulated) were significant at Bonferroni corrected threshold in the combined meta-analysis (Tables S2 and S5; Figure 2).
Finally, we found 64 proteins that were consistently associated with all three COVID-19 outcomes (infection, ventilation and death; Figure 1, Table S2). There were 59 proteins consistently upregulated including CSF-1, IL-1Ra, LST1, PKC-Z, TGFB1, BMP10, ANGL4, and vimentin. These proteins were upregulated in COVID-19 patients (compared to healthy controls), upregulated in ventilated patients (compared to those who were not) and also upregulated in individuals who died (compared to those who survived; Figure 1). The remaining 5 proteins, MZF1, Apo A-I, MDC, MLRA and NAGPA, were consistently downregulated in COVID-19 infection status as well as disease severity.

To enable other interested researchers to navigate our findings for other COVID-19 related research, we created an interactive web portal (https://covid.proteomics.wustl.edu/). The results for each of three COVID-19 outcomes are presented in a tabular format, from which any user can select a particular protein of interest to examine the boxplot. The volcano plots for each of three outcomes (Figure 2) can be interactively accessed via this portal

:shobon:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

My insurance told me I'd have to pay up front for the COVID-19 vaccine and then file a claim to get reimbursed, but CVS didn't charge me so I guess they were able to figure everything out on the backend (for my insurance, anyway). There were only two people waiting before I got there, and after I was done they had a store announcement that the new vaccines were available and they were accepting walk-ins.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm still awaiting the shot but I just got checked in at Walgreens, apparently Kaiser insurance is going to cover my COVID shot but not the flu shot. I am not paying $60 for that as you can imagine. Will report back when I get the goods.

Edit: I have been SPIKEVAX'd, "your insurance saved you $155.99" so fantastic, love america, I have the access to the tools!*

*And we only pay over $1K a month for these savings

tangy yet delightful has issued a correction as of 01:43 on Sep 20, 2023

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington state's Monkeypox (Mpox) update.

pre:
Cumulative
Mpox	Total	Change
Cases	700	 +1
Hosp.	21	 -
pre:
Week Onset/
Collection	Cases	Change
2023-08-20	1	+1
pre:
Month Onset/	Older
Collection	Cases	Change
Jul 2023	1	-
Jun 2023	2	-
May 2023	0	-
Apr 2023	7	-
Mar 2023	5	-
Feb 2023	9	-
Jan 2023	15	-
Dec 2022	11	-
Nov 2022	15	-
Oct 2022	14	-
Sep 2022	118	-
Aug 2022	259	-
Jul 2022	190	-
Jun 2022	16	-
May 2022	1	-
Incomplete	36	-
Still not really sure what's up with the "Incomplete" count.

WA State Mpox Dashboard

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So how long again does covid linger in typical indoor air? Google says 3 hours but I don't trust Google

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

So how long again does covid linger in typical indoor air? Google says 3 hours but I don't trust Google

This one caught my eye

https://www.colorado.edu/today/2023/02/23/tend-get-sick-when-air-dry-new-research-helps-explain-why

"At both 40% and 60% relative humidity, half of the airborne coronavirus particles were still infectious after aging for one hour in the chamber. But at 25% humidity, that time doubled: Half of the original particles released into the chamber remained infectious for two hours."

I wouldn't have called that!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

astral posted:

My insurance told me I'd have to pay up front for the COVID-19 vaccine and then file a claim to get reimbursed, but CVS didn't charge me so I guess they were able to figure everything out on the backend (for my insurance, anyway). There were only two people waiting before I got there, and after I was done they had a store announcement that the new vaccines were available and they were accepting walk-ins.

:blessed:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Why Am I So Tired posted:

So let's see

Back when we had the PHE
- Vaccines free for everyone

Result: 17% Uptake

Without the PHE
- People getting charged $200
- People showing up to pharmacies for their appointments and being told they don't have the vaccine
- Insurance companies telling people they have to use in-network locations but none of those locations have the vaccine
- Pharmacies listed under the "Bridge Access Program" for the uninsured not even knowing what the program is and telling people they have to pay $200 upfront
- Smaller pharmacies being unable to get doses because they'll have to eat the cost of surplus doses, many of which will be the result of the above issues

Result: ??? lmao

And of course we still have the standard insane problem of sending people looking to get vaccinated, people looking to get tested, and people looking to get treatment to the same cramped, poorly ventilated, indoor locations with zero air filtration and where no one is wearing masks.

Given the poor uptake when it was widely available and free, maybe they're trying to create buzz by making the vaccines hard to get. Pfizer should get hip with the new generation and make a Logan Paul special edition Comirnaty.

CIGNA havers, CVS had no trouble giving me a vaccine on Sunday, so you may have better luck. The guy before me trying to get a shot before he had travel? No dice.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

icantfindaname posted:

I don't think there is a good answer, because there are too many variables. As WrasslorMonkey's link indicated it can be measured in hours, but then direct sunlight would cut that substantially, a light breeze would as well, while on the other hand temperature, droplet size, pollution etc. can all pull in the other direction.

Consequently it isn't really actionable.

Anyways, have an article about the blind spots:
"Unanswered questions on the airborne transmission of COVID-19"

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10311-022-01557-z#Sec8 posted:

Abstract
Policies and measures to control pandemics are often failing. While biological factors controlling transmission are usually well explored, little is known about the environmental drivers of transmission and infection. For instance, respiratory droplets and aerosol particles are crucial vectors for the airborne transmission of the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, the causation agent of the coronavirus 2019 pandemic (COVID-19). Once expectorated, respiratory droplets interact with atmospheric particulates that influence the viability and transmission of the novel coronavirus, yet there is little knowledge on this process or its consequences on virus transmission and infection. Here we review the effects of atmospheric particulate properties, vortex zones, and air pollution on virus survivability and transmission. We found that particle size, chemical constituents, electrostatic charges, and the moisture content of airborne particles can have notable effects on virus transmission, with higher survival generally associated with larger particles, yet some viruses are better preserved on small particles. Some chemical constituents and surface-adsorbed chemical species may damage peptide bonds in viral proteins and impair virus stability. Electrostatic charges and water content of atmospheric particulates may affect the adherence of virion particles and possibly their viability. In addition, vortex zones and human thermal plumes are major environmental factors altering the aerodynamics of buoyant particles in air, which can strongly influence the transport of airborne particles and the transmission of associated viruses. Insights into these factors may provide explanations for the widely observed positive correlations between COVID-19 infection and mortality with air pollution, of which particulate matter is a common constituent that may have a central role in the airborne transmission of the novel coronavirus.

Here's a collated disincentivized source saying hours:

https://www.epa.gov/coronavirus/indoor-air-and-coronavirus-covid-19 posted:

Indoor Air and Coronavirus (COVID-19)
(..)
Since COVID-19 is transmitted through contact with respiratory fluids carrying the infectious SARS-CoV-2 virus, a person can be exposed by an infected person coughing or speaking near them. They can also be exposed by inhaling aerosol particles that are spreading away from the infected person. Transmission of COVID-19 from inhalation of virus in the air can occur at distances greater than six feet. Particles from an infected person can move throughout an entire room or indoor space. The particles can also linger in the air after a person has left the room – they can remain airborne for hours in some cases.
(..)

InvisiBill
Jan 14, 2004
_ _

Pillbug
SoCal Walgreens trip report. no pediatric in stock, and they won’t take Kaiser insurance. they also won’t let me pay in cash.

I went across the street to RiteAid, and they have not received any doses at all yet.

it’s like someone doesn’t want us to be vaccinated.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

All good sources. Another issue is whether a super-shedder was the one in the room before you, because they are dumping a couple orders of magnitude more virus into the air than the average plague rat. Tldr, it's so condition-dependent that I would assume all non-ventilated/filtered indoor air is nature's booster.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

got a text from test2treat that they've shipped my tests and gave me a tracking number. I had already gotten the shipment a week ago, but hey it's the thought that counts I guess

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

InvisiBill posted:

they also won’t let me pay in cash.
:psyduck:

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

InvisiBill posted:

Did you tell them you washed your hands?

InvisiBill
Jan 14, 2004
_ _

Pillbug

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Did you tell them you washed your hands?

I think my Aura 9210 scared them.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Woodsy Owl posted:

Bridge program to nowhere
The Bridge For the Vax Deny

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Peyote Panda posted:

The Bridge For the Vax Deny

The Bridge Of We'd Rather You Die

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

U-DO Burger posted:

got a text from test2treat that they've shipped my tests and gave me a tracking number. I had already gotten the shipment a week ago, but hey it's the thought that counts I guess

They keep emailing me about how I've successfully signed up, and that's fine, I can use the encouragement, but I am wondering where those tests are at

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Real Mean Queen posted:

They keep emailing me about how I've successfully signed up, and that's fine, I can use the encouragement, but I am wondering where those tests are at

Same thing happened with me. I emailed them yesterday to ask if the tests were actually shipped, they emailed right back saying I would receive a shipping/tracking confirmation shortly. I did not. Then the tests arrived today. Lol

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
There's a bridge program, right Anakin?

....Anakin?

:nsa:

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
yooo, what the go to for a hepa for small rooms?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I used to have a post-polio link about essentially a slow ramping up of physical exertion and other related things in an attempt to manage and improve fatigue. But now it's erroring out, anyone know what I'm talking about and have a working link? Trying to help a friend out that's still in the acute phase of recovery with fatigue.

edit: here's the link I have that's giving me a 403 https://www.ninds.nih.gov/archived/post-polio-syndrome-fact-sheet

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

InvisiBill posted:

lol wtf

astral
Apr 26, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

I used to have a post-polio link about essentially a slow ramping up of physical exertion and other related things in an attempt to manage and improve fatigue. But now it's erroring out, anyone know what I'm talking about and have a working link? Trying to help a friend out that's still in the acute phase of recovery with fatigue.

edit: here's the link I have that's giving me a 403 https://www.ninds.nih.gov/archived/post-polio-syndrome-fact-sheet

The internet archive suggests you were looking at this page, which was (re)moved:

https://web.archive.org/web/2022071...rome-fact-sheet

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Zugzwang posted:

....Anakin?

Killing the younglings(' access to vaccinations of a dangerpus respiratory virus)

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SardonicTyrant posted:

Killing the younglings(' access to vaccinations of a dangerpus respiratory virus)
Do you have any peer-reviewed studies showing the spread of respiratory viruses at Jedi academies?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
covid is coming back?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Does anyone remember Metal Gear Solid 5's plot? There is an infectious parasite (covid) that can only be cured with an herb called wolbachia (vaccines), but in an endgame mission the parasite mutates (variants) and the guys that go in to investigate get infected because they mutated and the wolbachia doesnt work, but Snake goes in and he's fine because he wore a respirator (respirator). Couldn't stop laughing in that mission.

Also there is a pair of special gogglea to tell who is infected (RAT tests) but they dont detect the infection in one guy the first time (false negatives)

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

no lube so what posted:

yooo, what the go to for a hepa for small rooms?

levoit is pretty well liked generally among posters here and they have a handful of options for small but effective HEPA filters. not sure exactly what power level you're looking for but just go to their website and browse the HEPA filters by size and you'll find something good for a reasonable price

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

RadiRoot posted:

covid is coming back?

Renewed for a fifth season with a reduced budget, probably going to be a bunch of lazy clip/recap episodes even without the writer's strike.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Zugzwang posted:

....Anakin?

Fauci and Collins - Bridge Over Doubled Titers

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

eXXon posted:

Renewed for a fifth season with a reduced budget, probably going to be a bunch of lazy clip/recap episodes even without the writer's strike.

Writers are on strike so it’s all AI bullshit

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
A nurse at my kids pediatricians office claims they aren't allowed to even order the pediatric shots "per the FDA and DoH." I'm certain this is categorically false, I imagine I'm getting this bullshit because they have no idea what the gently caress is going on because of this clusterfuck of a rollout

I'm going to lose my poo poo if I can't find my kid her second shot

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Eye doctor update: not wearing a mask this time.

My Lyft Drive was though. Dude saw me also in a mask and went on rant about COVID that would have made this thread proud. Then he started talking about some congresspeople who got caught smoking and groping each other or something said the word "titty" probably ten times in 30 seconds.

All in all I hope he used the profits of the ride to buy an account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

euphronius posted:

hmmm

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

who said anything about covid? this is the pestilence thread, milquetoast rear end little poo poo