Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

MarcusSA posted:

I kinda want to say Xbox because of gamepass and the 800 games that comes with.

My wife and I played through a lot of coop games on it.

Afaik neither consoles have exclusives that have coop.

Oh wait, is game pass not 15 bucks a month anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Oh wait, is game pass not 15 bucks a month anymore?

If you pay full price yeah. You can get it cheaper though. I stacked 3 years of it for like $6-7 a month.

Sony also raised the base price of PSN.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Does one console or the other have more options for things like this? I kinda want to rule out Nintendo simply because it's just Zelda and there's no guarantees she's into it, as she likes playing female characters with customization.

Well, the Switch will be the cheapest option, if that has any affect on that. It gets a decent amount of the cross-platform games on top of the Nintendo stuff. You might could also get it for cheap eventually because Nintendo is finally looking to bring out a new console some time soon.

That said, I'd recommend the PS5 on the basis that it gets more exclusive titles, including the next Horizon game. Also if anything is going to endear you to console gaming, the way that the Playstation allows you to just put the console to sleep and quickly jump back into things without wading through boot screens is what really sold me on console gaming. The Switch does it too, the Xbox S doesn't.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Xbox S doesn't.

The Xbox does and it also has quick resume which is a legit game changer.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
The Minecraft Dungeons game was a neat mini-Diablo like and that's on Game Pass along with Minecraft and a ton of other co-op games. For that age I'd think Switch or Xbox Series S with game pass is probably best. If you do PC games as well I'd add a +1 to the game pass rpute.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Wow, there's way more stuff available for the switch than I thought, and there's multiplay on the TV on the same switch? It's come a long way from the Wii days.

I might go that direction purely from a price/enjoyment perspective.

Are there go to games on switch that would fit the Diablo/hogwarts line?

Zelda of course, but are there others that play well on the switch?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Guacamelee 1 & 2 are on switch. They're real fun and they support couch co-op. There is a lot of platforming in between the beating up monsters though and some of it gets pretty tricky.

If you want something vaguely close to the diablo feel of just beating up tons of monsters you might wanna try out the Switch Hyrule Warriors game? I haven't tried that one but that "beating up waves and waves of baddies" is the bread and butter of all the Warriors / Musou games, and it'll have lots of Zelda girls for her to swap between. It has coop too.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 19, 2023

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Wow, there's way more stuff available for the switch than I thought, and there's multiplay on the TV on the same switch? It's come a long way from the Wii days.

The launch of the Wii was longer ago from today than the launch of the SNES was from the launch of the Wii

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Guacamelee 1 & 2 are on switch. They're real fun and they support couch co-op. There is a lot of platforming in between the beating up monsters though and some of it gets pretty tricky.

I don't remember which I played in co-op (it works probably same in both), but only one player has to survive and others can fly around as a ghost and respawn at will, so even the tricky parts aren't too bad with kids.

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010
Titles to just vibe to? Looking to listen to podcasts & audiobooks to some games with a chill gameplay loop. Used to do this with a motocross game a minute back.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

i3lueHorneT posted:

Titles to just vibe to? Looking to listen to podcasts & audiobooks to some games with a chill gameplay loop. Used to do this with a motocross game a minute back.

Hardspace: Shipbreaker

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The launch of the Wii was longer ago from today than the launch of the SNES was from the launch of the Wii

This also works with Unreal Tournament/Space Invaders, and for Gangsta's Paradise/All You Need is Love.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

i3lueHorneT posted:

Factorio is great for this. Turn the bugs off or way down low and just build

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

i3lueHorneT posted:

Abzu.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

i3lueHorneT posted:

Powerwash Simulator

Different strokes for different folks and all that but I would not recommend Abzu as a podcast game at all, the audio experience of that game is a really important part of the vibe

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

i3lueHorneT posted:

Snowrunner

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
What's the best games for vibe-based gaming?

Vibe would mostly mean music, art and some mixture of story, atmosphere, locations, themes and sometimes cutscenes.

I had a fantastic weekend playing through Parrappa The Rapper 1,2 and UmJammer Lammy. These games don't have amazing gameplay, but its good enough and the vibes made the experience a lot of fun. My GF was working on something while I played and she enjoyed having them on in the background as well. It has nice "kids cartoon" themes about kids trying to be like adults, and adults not really knowing what the hell they're doing.

Weirdly enough the only other vibey game I can think of is Hotline Miami 1 and 2, which has really challenging gameplay and a vibe that is based around the senselessness and brevity of life. Very different, but its a game that hits me right in the "vibes" part of my brain. The gameplay is great imo, but I (and probably many others) probably would not have kept playing the games past a few levels if it weren't for the vibes.

I guess this is highly subjective, so go wild with what "vibes" mean to you and what games you turn to for the vibes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

i3lueHorneT posted:

Truck Simulator

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fighting Elegy posted:

Vibe would mostly mean music, art and some mixture of story, atmosphere, locations, themes and sometimes cutscenes.

I had a fantastic weekend playing through Parrappa The Rapper 1,2 and UmJammer Lammy. These games don't have amazing gameplay, but its good enough and the vibes made the experience a lot of fun. My GF was working on something while I played and she enjoyed having them on in the background as well. It has nice "kids cartoon" themes about kids trying to be like adults, and adults not really knowing what the hell they're doing.

Weirdly enough the only other vibey game I can think of is Hotline Miami 1 and 2, which has really challenging gameplay and a vibe that is based around the senselessness and brevity of life. Very different, but its a game that hits me right in the "vibes" part of my brain. The gameplay is great imo, but I (and probably many others) probably would not have kept playing the games past a few levels if it weren't for the vibes.

I guess this is highly subjective, so go wild with what "vibes" mean to you and what games you turn to for the vibes.

Hi-Fi Rush
Outer Wilds
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
The Wonderful 101
Touhou Mystia's Izakaya

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 20, 2023

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Fighting Elegy posted:

Signalis is no-joke the vibes-game of the decade.

It's mostly sad and scary vibes though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Gris.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Fighting Elegy posted:

Dave the Diver

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Fighting Elegy posted:

No More Heroes or any Suda51 game would work.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

My kid has asked for a console for Christmas. I have not had a console since the Xbox 360, original run. She does not have a preference.

Games we're looking for: a local coop game with a decent story and monster killing. She's played hogwarts legacy through about 3 times now. She likes Horizon Zero Dawn, but she isn't super dexterous and it's a bit hard for her.

I'd go with a Diablo clone, but want to avoid an actual diablo for various reasons.

Is there a game out there like diablo or Hogwarts that has local coop and is somewhat appropriate for a 9-11yo?

Local coop isn't a complete necessity, as I'm sure she'd enjoy torchlight 2 or something like that.

Does one console or the other have more options for things like this? I kinda want to rule out Nintendo simply because it's just Zelda and there's no guarantees she's into it, as she likes playing female characters with customization.
General purpose adventure local coop games aren't super common, unfortunately. Not sure why you'd rule out Nintendo though, they tend to be better about local coop than the other console makers for sure, especially in terms of their own games. Nintendo has a lot of local coop games on the Switch, though I'm not sure how many fit your specific genre request. Astral Chain might kinda fit? Oh, Kirby and the Forgotten Land fits decently well, though it's as much platformer as it is action.

There's also Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, though I think that's every platform. Or Knights & Bikes, or Nobody Saves the World, or the Cat Quest series, or a variety of beat em ups like the recent TMNT Shredder's Revenge.

If you go with the Switch, might want to check this out: https://www.nintendolife.com/guides/best-nintendo-switch-couch-co-op-games

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Neon White is my recent-ish pick for a vibes game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fighting Elegy posted:

Paradise Killer

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Fighting Elegy posted:

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Fighting Elegy posted:

Furi

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Fighting Elegy posted:

It's such an obvious answer that I'm sure you've played it, but Stardew Valley is my biggest vibes game. I think it's the music and sound direction. Everything just sounds so good!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Fighting Elegy posted:

Sleeping dogs has great vibes to me, it grabs the feel of a chinese gangster movie so well. It's pretty involved though.

Distance had some great vibes if you hit the zen state. Some of the maps were well designed enough that even blind they signposted what you were supposed to do and it felt so good to clear a map in one smooth flow.

Art of rally has a heck of a good vibe too, great music and physics just arcadey enough to be chilled out. No codriver is a bit weird but it weirdly fits for the game.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

For actual music-focused games, I think the best right now is Rhythm Doctor. One of the songs genuinely gets to me emotionally. Crypt of the Necrodancer is another good one, you gotta move to the beat of the music while dungeon crawling. Patapon is about commanding your army by playing a war drum and keeping up the rhythm.

For games just with great atmospheric music and good story and gameplay, always gotta say that Bastion will always be one of the best. Transistor is also pretty great to sink into the music. The main character is a singer, the gameplay is a bit clunkier, but there's a dedicated button for humming along to the background music. The Wonderful 101 is fast-paced game with orchestral music to evoke classic japanese children's shows, and when the normal tracks are good, but when the main theme gets going at peak moments, it's pretty amazing. FTL comes at it from another angle, the gameplay isn't like a twitch, timing action game, it's more plodding and thoughtful, and the soundtrack evokes that as well as creating a sort of emptiness that evokes the empty void of space you're going through.

A further step away, there's something like Homeworld, which the gameplay can't really groove along to the music because it's an RTS, but the music is extremely evocative, and there's this weird thing where the sound effects of the radio chatter of your units really brings you into the moment, I can't really explain it. The credits song by progressive rock band Yes is also pretty amazing at summarizing the game's premise. There's other games that use music to pretty powerful effect. Red Dead Redemption usually stays very sparse with the background music to evoke being in the middle of nowhere and let the experience speak for itself (in a way that Breath of the Wild also was real big on), but when you first enter Mexico, there's a nice little song to get you into the moment.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Just to expand on this a bit, the game is a somewhat difficult boss rush where you have to git gud at recognizing attack patterns to win. Each boss has multiple rounds/phases and it incorporates a genius momentum based mechanic so one good phase can really turn a fight around even if you’re getting your rear end kicked so far. The final phase in each fight has you get close up for a parry/dodge fest and the soundtrack goes to 11. Also before each fight, your guide hypes you up by telling you all about how much of an rear end in a top hat the next opponent is and how badly they deserve your revenge. Then through the whole fight the enemy is talking poo poo to you. Oh and the soundtrack is legendary. The developer set out to make an extremely specific type of game and nailed it. It is THE ultimate vibes game.

If you like it you will also prob really enjoy Sifu as well

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Fighting Elegy posted:

Vibiest game experience I can recall is Sable. If the vibes have to be good, that is. If the vibes can also be oppressing, grabbing you by the throat and forcing you to go to church and then crying in the corner while snorting a line, then Blasphemous also has a lot of vibes. Night in the Woods can fit a middle point with bittersweet vibes, where you're a fuckup but trying your best despite that.

For some short games with Silly Little Guy vibes, try the Frog Detective series or Donut County

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Valheim.

Also Homeworld, as was already mentioned.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Recommendations for good and/or interesting nonogram/picross games on PC?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 21, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Recommendations for good and/or interesting nonogram games on PC?

Paint it Back
Logiart Grimoire
Cross Pixels
Pepper's Puzzles
Voxelgram

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
If you want vibes and music, I'm going to recommend Hi-fi Rush again, everything in the world moves to the beat, and the cartoony art style is excellent.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Is there a thread about casual games?

I want to play something cooperatively with my partner. Each on our own laptop, or mobile, or even sharing the laptop. She's currently playing Merge Dragons and similar cutesy no-opponent games so looking for something with a similar feel. No dry logic games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor Malaver posted:

Is there a thread about casual games?

I want to play something cooperatively with my partner. Each on our own laptop, or mobile, or even sharing the laptop. She's currently playing Merge Dragons and similar cutesy no-opponent games so looking for something with a similar feel. No dry logic games.

Stardew Valley, maybe? She could potter about the farm and town, handling crops, socializing and making things, while you go spelunking im the cave killing and mining to fuel her crafting needs.

Edit: , Powerwash Simulator is also a very chill coop experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Stardew Valley is the current co-op n chill game of choice for me and Mrs Boat as well

We play Astroneer quite a bit as well which is cutesy, low stakes crafting / survival in space. There's some mildly hostile flora but not really much in the way of "enemies"