Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
yeah no, I'd rather my rookie QB has a known quantity at Reciever, than a lottery ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Also three of the last four Super Bowls have had a starting QB in his second or third year in the league (and the one exception featured Mahomes in year 4). Definitely can't say that the Moore/[hypothetical 2024 draft QB] windows don't overlap at all

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bears should actually be prohibited by NFL bylaws from drafting a quarterback

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if the bears end up with the #1 pick again and are going to pick Caleb, why wouldn't he just take a few million in NIL and go back to college, no responsible agent would let their client go to the bears to have the career destroyed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

R.D. Mangles posted:

the bears should actually be prohibited by NFL bylaws from drafting a quarterback

If the Union cared about player safety it would be in the next collective bargaining agreement

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Niwrad posted:

Assuming this year is a waste, they'd have 2 years of control left on DJ Moore. Even with Caleb Williams, you're still a few years away from playing for anything. Would you rather have that at a high price or some picks you can use to bring in another wide receiver with 5 years of control instead?

It would take something strong like a 1st and 3rd. But next year's draft is incredibly deep, especially at wide receiver. I'd rather have 5 years of Keon Coleman or someone like that as opposed to 2 years of DJ Moore at this stage. Or just some additional draft assets in case they need to move up to get Maye.

You are looking at 2 top five picks. If you get Caleb, you can still take MHJ and then ruin them like they do everything else.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bears should only be prohibited from drafted skill position players except for running backs until they prove they can be responsible.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Does anybody have Greg Roman's number this is not a joke

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Worst part of my week was when I was thinking maybe if they win this week, they can turn things around and then I looked at the schedule.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

https://twitter.com/deeksviewog/status/1704197892729077884?s=46&t=E3o6AWM6NzbHelAtroEDOg

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

if the bears end up with the #1 pick again and are going to pick Caleb, why wouldn't he just take a few million in NIL and go back to college, no responsible agent would let their client go to the bears to have the career destroyed.

Can’t draftees refuse to play for teams?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
ngl the most bears thing in the world would be to somehow win this game on some fluke poo poo, and then lose out.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Caleb Williams is not going to be a Chicago Bear, according to his dad:

quote:

"The way the system is constructed, you go to the worst possible situation," Carl Williams told GQ.com. "The worst possible team, the worst organization in the league -- because of their desire for parity -- gets the first pick. So it's the gift and the curse. I mean, I've talked to Archie Manning -- his career was shot because he went to a horrible organization. I've talked to Lincoln [Riley], and Kyler [Murray] struggled because of where he was drafted. Baker [Mayfield] struggled mightily because of where he was drafted.

"The organizations matter. He's got two shots at the apple. So if there's not a good situation, the truth is, he can come back to school."

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Very funny to mention kyler with kliff on the usc staff

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Caleb Williams refusing to play for the teams picking 1-4, as if they won't be right loving back there next year :smuggo:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Forrest on Fire posted:

Caleb Williams refusing to play for the teams picking 1-4, as if they won't be right loving back there next year :smuggo:

This is actually a problem with his argument going back to school isn’t going to make next years top pickers any better

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

yeah, like that's just a situation where you probably have to go talk with Caleb and get exactly the offense and people in place he wants, and include him on like coaching discussions if you get the number one pick, because yeah if the Bears get the number one pick this year Flus is gone, and he can dictate the coach lol.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Forrest on Fire posted:

Maybe he can become a surgeon and put his brain to use

I cannot imagine how much a QB has to memorise and understand. I only recently learned what the various formations do (and didn’t understand much of it. Football has more terminology than STEM lol)

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

R.D. Mangles posted:

if the bears end up with the #1 pick again and are going to pick Caleb, why wouldn't he just take a few million in NIL and go back to college, no responsible agent would let their client go to the bears team drafting 1st overall to have the career destroyed.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Maybe he can become a surgeon and put his brain to use

I cannot imagine how much a QB has to memorise and understand. I only recently learned what the various formations do (and didn’t understand much of it. Football has more terminology than STEM lol)

Best way to think of it, is what is the nerd hobby youve had since you were 14.

Almost the great QBs in the last 15ish years (Manning, Brady, Brees, Mahomes etc.) all study football endlessly. So they have so many things down Pat formations and alignments are 2nd nature to them.

Paint Crop Pro fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 20, 2023

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Dexo posted:

yeah, like that's just a situation where you probably have to go talk with Caleb and get exactly the offense and people in place he wants, and include him on like coaching discussions if you get the number one pick, because yeah if the Bears get the number one pick this year Flus is gone, and he can dictate the coach lol.

GM Caleb Williams would probably do better than the Bears on offense but does anybody expect the Bears to give a player, even a franchise QB, that much autonomy?

The Cardinals are an equal level clown show org and are even less likely to accommodate a player request than the Bears lol

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Chicago seems like a very dramatic town and could probably use some kind of food not native to there to calm it down. Like a tavern style pizza or a steak sandwich.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Beer and Sausage and Pizzas as big as spare tires are perfect tyvm.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

sponges posted:

Can’t draftees refuse to play for teams?

Archie Manning refused to allow Eli to play for a podunk market like San Diego, so they wound up with Rivers instead.

No idea if that sort of thing has happened as overtly since then. John Elway is the other prominent historic example that comes to mind.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Dexo posted:

Free Justin Jefferson and Anthony Edwards imo

Free Kirk Cousins. Please, take him. Seriously, no charge. All yours. Enjoy!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Victor Vermis posted:

Archie Manning refused to allow Eli to play for a podunk market like San Diego, so they wound up with Rivers instead.

No idea if that sort of thing has happened as overtly since then. John Elway is the other prominent historic example that comes to mind.

I think in modern history it's just those two. I don't know why more players don't try it really.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Nervous posted:

Free Kirk Cousins. Please, take him. Seriously, no charge. All yours. Enjoy!

The most I'm buying you the gift of a car note pick up ever.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think in modern history it's just those two. I don't know why more players don't try it really.

Because you are pushing back your payday a year, and like playing on a bad team will only really really affect QB's.

Like a Wide Reciever who is great, is going to be good and get paid regardless, maybe less paid than if they were on a good team. DJ Moore has played with some rear end QB's and he got paid, ditto with Allen Robinson.

A Defensive end is going to flash(unless just like massively bad scheme fit) regardless of how rear end the rest of the defense is.

QB's are like the only position where like you could be decent, or have potential and unless you somehow pull a Geno Smith, you are hosed and forever a backup at best, if you get to an rear end situation.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Jim Kelly and Steve Young, kind of. They went to the USFL rather than play for the teams that drafted them. Kelly actually got drafted, by the Bills, who he really didn't want to play for, but ended up playing for anyway two years later because they still had his rights. Young was projected to go to the Bengals and sit on the bench, so told them he was signing with the USFL instead, and the Bengals traded the pick away. He got drafted in the supplemental draft the next year by the Buccaneers.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Bernie Kosar also did some fuckery to make sure he went to the team he wanted, and not the team with the first pick in the regular draft. There was some extreme collusion between him and the Browns to have him go first in the supplemental draft.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Bo Jackson, too. Went to play baseball instead.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Ernie Davis I guess could qualify too, though he publicly claimed he didn't instigate the trade. But I think it could be reasonably inferred that not wanting to play for the most racist owner after being the first black Heisman winner was presumable.

For those of you wondering why you haven't heard of him, he got traded to the Browns and then promptly died of leukemia before playing a down for them at age 23.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Abugadu posted:

Ernie Davis I guess could qualify too, though he publicly claimed he didn't instigate the trade. But I think it could be reasonably inferred that not wanting to play for the most racist owner after being the first black Heisman winner was presumable.

For those of you wondering why you haven't heard of him, he got traded to the Browns and then promptly died of leukemia before playing a down for them at age 23.

He clearly took the lesser of two evils.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

C-Euro posted:

The big takeaway from yesterday is that it was almost certainly too early for CJGJ to claim league villain status for the team, let's win a couple more games first.

I can't think of who it was, but I swear there was another free agent acquisition (or maybe draft pick?) for Detroit who was also like "yeah this team has sucked forever but it's DIFFERENT NOW 'cuz I'M HERE!!!" immediately before the team flopped yet again.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Chicago seems like a very dramatic town and could probably use some kind of food not native to there to calm it down. Like a tavern style pizza or a steak sandwich.

Chicago's got food they need football operations people and maybe like another 300 therapists

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

But eating large amounts of food is therapy. I hope.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Forrest on Fire posted:

Chicago's got food they need football operations people and maybe like another 300 therapists
300 therapists just for the Bears team, right?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

300 therapists just for the Bears team, right?

Do you think 5 therapists per Bear is not enough?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Forrest on Fire posted:

Their facilities have bad food options which is funny considering the city is world class for dining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Forrest on Fire posted:

Do you think 5 therapists per Bear is not enough?
Well the therapists who help the players will need therapists. Also for the coaches and other staff.