Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the first half of aldnoah was really good.
The increasing incredulity of "they're really going with this?" in the second half can be an entertainment of a sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Aldnoah is one of the best examples of a show that would have been a thousand times better if it just stopped after the first season.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

valvrave s1 was some peak anime up until the weird rape stuff

personally, i recall liking aldnoah s2, though i think i was a bit unusual in that i thought slaine as a character was compelling because of his constantly loving up situations

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cross ange is based however it has some weird sex assault stuff but at least its building to a kind of point with it

valvrave has weird sex assault stuff that it then completely forgets about forever

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think it might be quicker to list the mecha shows that didn't take a downturn in their second season. If I can think of any, that is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the part of cross ange where the bad guy is being handfed pancakes by two naked milf maids and he turns directly to the camera and says 'you see, nobody respects women more than me' is absolutely incredible

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
you are obligated to post a clip of that

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it could have been just barely too far enough, but instead of continuing the story about the founding of a space vampire empire the entire second season didn't really do much of anything.

I feel like Valverave planned on being a much longer anime because it was just speed-running through the plot in the second season. Despite this, it didn't get to the actual interesting parts (that were heavily foreshadowed) where the space empire is actually a thing and the cast is still around because they are vampires. It even ends right before they go off to meet aliens for the first time.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

I think it might be quicker to list the mecha shows that didn't take a downturn in their second season. If I can think of any, that is.

Buddy Complex. :hmmyes:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i think these bandai shows tend to get meddled with a lot mid-production so theres not as much focus. & obv its harder to meddle with the first cour of a show since you have no feedback yet

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
season 2 of rinne no lagrange was mostly as good as the first season but it did have one incredibly unfunny joke it decided to premise an entire major plot point around for like five minutes straight

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lets see if zegapain 2 ends up being a major downgrade from the first season's stunning quality of, kind of okay sometimes

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Season 2 of IBO made writing choices that were... a matter of taste, but I personally found it a tasty experience.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i never got the ibo s2 hate at all it's a bit rough at the very start but nothing after that felt out of tune with season 1 to me

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are elements I like in IBO S2 but as time goes on I am less and less in love with the direction it took most characters and in general just kind of feel like it does a lot of stuff I've grown tired of in the more deathly serious Gundams like IBO.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Battletech anime when

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Haystack posted:

Battletech anime when

When Harmony Gold initiates instrumentality.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Zom 100 back on the menu this week

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

The Colonel posted:

lets see if zegapain 2 ends up being a major downgrade from the first season's stunning quality of, kind of okay sometimes

Zegapain maybe the one that is. That show has no right to be as good as it is, and most of the best stuff is in the second half iirc.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
good zombie hot spring episode

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Summer roundup, only watched five shows this season:

Bang Dream: It's MyGO!!!!!: This was great, easy pick for anime of the season. A lot of Sanzigen's output - season 2 of D4DJ in particular - suffers from a) being too saccharine and conflict-averse, and b) juggling too many gacha characters at once. MyGO addresses both issues, focusing on a small group of realistically flawed characters, and taking no shortcuts as they work through their many interpersonal conflicts. The result is at times hard to watch, but it never feels cheap or predictable. Not sure if I'm as excited for the new season - the cringy aesthetics of the new band are a bit much - but I'm willing to give it shot based on the quality of MyGO.

Horimiya: Piece: Hot take, I think splitting the Piece content into its own season was a good call. Not because it's bad - I actually think I enjoyed this more than the main series - but because the two series are both better for it. You have the main series as a more focused romcom, and Piece as a more comedy-focused slice-of-life series with an ensemble cast. I feel like trying to cram the two series into a single two-cour anime would've resulted in something far more uneven and tonally inconsistent. Not all bits in Piece work equally well - strangely, the episodes that focus on the main couple felt the weakest - but it's great comfort food overall.

Zom 100: I'm still watching and enjoying this, but I have cooled on it a bit. The original premise, of leaning into the escapist fantasy at the core of most zombie narratives and using that to make a point about Japan's abusive work culture, is really good, but the show fails to really build on this. It goes back to this original well from time to time - most egregiously in the recent arc when it just went, gently caress it, abusive boss is back - but the rest of the time it's little more than goofballs goofing off during the zombie apocalypse. The colorful animation is still a good time, and I do plan to finish it, but it unfortunately blew most of its narrative load in the excellent pilot episode.

Undead Girl Murder Farce: I'm probably less keen on this than most people in this thread. It's not bad, but the animation quality isn't terribly impressive (outside of a handful of fight scenes), the overarching plot and villains did nothing for me, and I guess I'm just not a huge fan of the super sleuth anime genre in general. There is some fun to be had in the familiar whodunnit structure, but it also resulted in a couple of boring, overly verbose setup episodes. The main duo is fun, and their interactions are great (the whole "I need to make out with this fourteen-year-old girl to stay sane (don't worry she's actually 1000 years old)" bit aside), but it never managed to become more than just okay.

Yohane: A disappointing waste of a fun premise; never really managed to become its own thing (turns out that the solution to the magical apocalypse was doing idol stuff all along), and ended up being predictable from A to Z.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

cave emperor posted:

(the whole "I need to make out with this fourteen-year-old girl to stay sane (don't worry she's actually 1000 years old)" bit aside),
It's such an unforced error, because Ms. Murderface neither looks nor acts 14 and if they'd never said that I would have assumed she was a grown-rear end woman by character design alone.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

haypliss posted:

Buddy Complex. :hmmyes:

Budcon ftw

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

Budcon ftw

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Mordja posted:

It's such an unforced error, because Ms. Murderface neither looks nor acts 14 and if they'd never said that I would have assumed she was a grown-rear end woman by character design alone.

:emptyquote:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
What’s the deal with zom100 getting delayed again?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

What’s the deal with zom100 getting delayed again?

quote:

The new delay follows a slew of multiple episode delays for the anime, starting off with the delay of episode 4 to July 31, episode 5 to August 13, as well as delays for episodes 7 to 9. While all of these delays have cited production issues, it is also worth noting that the release of episode 6 was delayed due to broadcasting scheduling issues in line with the recent 2023 World Athletics Championship. This is not the first streaming delay for the series either, as some of the previous episodes also came to streaming services a day after the TV broadcast.

seems like mostly usual production issues but lol at delaying it for sports instead at one point

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Let's get BONES back to making weird mecha instead of being trapped in the mid shonen mines.

Probationary of course, to make sure we don't get another Captain Earth

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Get BONES and ORANGE to team up again and make a sequel to Godzilla Singular Point drat it!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bone not letting Rie Matsumoto do an original series is the biggest self forced error ever. Let her cook so she can top Kyosogiga and the Heartcatch Precure Movie

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Geez bones pretty much has just been doing my hero academia and bungo stray dogs the last few years huh

I'm glad they got to take a break for mob psycho at least, I should watch that third season at some point

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Bone not letting Rie Matsumoto do an original series is the biggest self forced error ever. Let her cook so she can top Kyosogiga and the Heartcatch Precure Movie

frick them for real. happy to realize there's more stuff she directed that i haven't seen at least

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

smh at everyone who didn't watch Josee, the Tiger and the Fish. Best thing Bones has put out in recent years.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Bones does have Metallic Rouge coming out in January, which looks to have robot on robot punch'em-ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv8eVL4xBI4

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Onimusha is getting an anime:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-1wsUxg68Ek

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Where's literally anything else since the first game got a port like 5 years ago Capcom????

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

If it doesn't have a PS2 era Jean Reno I'm not watching.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also wow that looks horrible lol

Rip Toshiro Mifune

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Zom 100 as of the latest episode is just becoming High School of the Dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004