Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Dick Fontaine posted:

i have a super love/hate relationship with my keychain. it’s the chuddiest thing ever, but it works great, and have not for the life of me been able to find something similar from a less chuddy producer

it’s fantastic. clips right on to the edge of my pants pocket, then my keys hang just perfectly. no jangling. no bunching. none of that mess

Look for “quickdraw” carabiners for similar items (sans metal o-ring)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Carabiner-chat: have you tried Heroclips? Right now I'm just seeing them on Amazon but I was sure I used to give them in outdoor outfitters. Basically a carabiner with an open folding hook/hangar. So when you want to hang your backpack it just loops over.

https://a.co/d/aUZ9lnW

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
This is probably really silly but:

Toaster tongs! Open enough to retrieve your toast without crushing it, wide enough not to clumsily flip it, bamboo so you're not sticking metal in a toaster, and they got a little magnet on the side so you can stick it to your toaster or fridge.

I got baby hands that get burnt extra easily, so I love these loving things.

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat

Das Boo posted:

Toaster tongs! Open enough to retrieve your toast without crushing it, wide enough not to clumsily flip it, bamboo so you're not sticking metal in a toaster, and they got a little magnet on the side so you can stick it to your toaster or fridge.

I have disgusting leathery man mitts so this seems excessive. My coworker does the chopstick method for cheetos and it blew my mind when i met her in 2018.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

A Something Awful forums account :)

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

The Loin King posted:

I have disgusting leathery man mitts so this seems excessive. My coworker does the chopstick method for cheetos and it blew my mind when i met her in 2018.

i just fold the lip of the open bag and dump the fuckers down my throat without even chewing.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

pencilhands posted:

Enhancing, not depressing.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

pumped up for school posted:

Carabiner-chat: have you tried Heroclips? Right now I'm just seeing them on Amazon but I was sure I used to give them in outdoor outfitters. Basically a carabiner with an open folding hook/hangar. So when you want to hang your backpack it just loops over.

I've actually been looking for something like this! Cheers

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Das Boo posted:

Metal in toasters is / was only a problem with non polarized plugs where the plug can be put into the outlet backwards. You should be able to safely jam a fork in a toaster all morning long these days

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just unplug it then use a fork because I’m dumb

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Poohs Packin posted:

If only there were some way to make my pee glow.

I have a motion activated light which sits on the rim of my toilet and illuminates the bowl. It makes your pee glow different colours.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Lolie posted:

I have a motion activated light which sits on the rim of my toilet and illuminates the bowl. It makes your pee glow different colours.

My housesitter calls me "Darth Toilet" now.

And my poor mom. She didn't realize the colors rotated. She thought it changed when she was done w/ her business to remind her to flush.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

pumped up for school posted:

https://a.co/d/aUZ9lnW

no but i will now

i like the Figure 9 rope tighteners - https://niteize.com/figure-9r-carabiner-rope-tightener

s-Biners too

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Brother Tadger posted:

Look for “quickdraw” carabiners for similar items (sans metal o-ring)

i’ll look this up. i defaced the 5.11 one, but the shame still remains

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Professor Shark posted:

I just unplug it then use a fork because I’m dumb

:hfive:

Well I ain't burning my grabbers anymore, so I'm happy.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Liquid skin/bandage, it's exactly what it says on the tin. You literally brush some on a cut or scrape and in a matter of seconds you have a flexible waterproof bandage that even works great on knuckles. I don't even bother with using a normal bandage any more unless it's something problematic enough that gauze should be involved

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Das Boo posted:

These seem useful if you don’t like to launch the toast up and catch it.

I’d be sad to lose the game part of making toast

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Then I submit this!

This is the best lip balm I've ever used. Only thing that has stopped any instances of angular cheilitis for me.

Also

Sentient Data posted:

Liquid skin/bandage, it's exactly what it says on the tin. You literally brush some on a cut or scrape and in a matter of seconds you have a flexible waterproof bandage that even works great on knuckles. I don't even bother with using a normal bandage any more unless it's something problematic enough that gauze should be involved

100%. I use it on particularly fine cuts that reopen easily, like paper cuts and cat scratches on joints. They have a burn variant that also rocks.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Das Boo posted:

angular cheilitis

Adding this to the list of things that I didn’t know had names

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Bouillon Rube posted:

Adding this to the list of things that I didn’t know had names

I thought I just had the occasional cold sore or something. Figured out embarrassingly late that I had been mistaken all my life. But hey, I'm in the 10% of the population who doesn't carry the virus. :toot:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Tired of your kitchen trash bag falling into the trash can?

Get some of those 3M Command Strip plastic hooks,attach one upside down to each side of the bin, and loop the trash bag drawstring through them. Voila! Your trash bag will stay put.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Those Flare Audio misophonia earplug filter doo hickeys are really effective and good at making sound in general far less stressful

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

did anyone say massage guns yet? bc they are a life changer if u have muscle-related pain

this is the fancy one but theres a lot of cheaper equivalents that also work well

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

pencilhands posted:

It’s the least awful place to post that has this level of activity. I wanna thank all the long time members for paypigging lowtax all those years.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

did anyone say massage guns yet? bc they are a life changer if u have muscle-related pain

this is the fancy one but theres a lot of cheaper equivalents that also work well

I have this exact model, and second this. If you work with your body or lift weights at all, you owe it to yourself to get one of these.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
Standby drain adds to your power bill, and manually turning off the peripherals on a PC/Home system sucks, so get an automatic main-follow power strip.
Once it registers that you've turned off the power of the device that is connected to your main plug (your PC or TV), your monitors and other peripherals connected to the follower plugs will be cut off from power automatically.

A foldable bike. Awesome if you live in a big city / use public transport / are tired of your bike being stolen. No more locking your bike up, just take that thing wherever you go. I use my Brompton for my daily commute (6 miles), shopping trips, and other errands. Got my goon-body back into cycling after an almost 10-year hiatus.

Those tiny Knipex Cobra pliers (specifically the 125s).

A Japanese cardboard box cutter (by Hasegawa).

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Literally A Person posted:

If you love doing loud poo poo and hate going deaf these: just kick so much rear end. I can't really wear over the ear earpro comfortably and these goofy little things have been amazing. Not as tough feeling as the foam ones and not as hard to put in as the molded ones but still stop the 3 days of tinnitus from playing music at unacceptable volumes. :hai:

I just want to second this poo poo. I have a higher noise sensitivity than literally anybody I've ever met, misophonia, whatever you want to call it. Recently I moved to the inner city because I am a loving moron, and the foamies I've used my entire life were practically useless. My dad had given me a pair of these last time I visited him and I dug these out on my first night of hell and holy poo poo they did the job and I immediately ordered some more. They also seem to irritate my ears less / less friction.

Also, if anyone reading this thinks they suffer from the same dumb problems I have and something has them at their wits end, a good pair of noise-cancelling headphones is legitimately the best investment I've made in years for my mental health. I'm not talking about some $50 pair on Amazon, it's just not going to do the job, so don't let that act as a measure for what to expect. I've only tried one pair of headphones, ever, that has worked like this, and I'm sure there are more, but I'm going to recommend the ones that I know and that is the Sony XM series. I have the XM2's, but seems they're already up to XM5's. XM2's are pretty much unavailable, you can find XM3's here and there - Here are the XM4's. These are sanctuary to the point that just knowing I have them to retreat to helps me tolerate noise longer.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

^ If you got big ole ears, the XM5 is one of the only products on the market that will fit properly.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

GolfHole posted:

^ If you got big ole ears, the XM5 is one of the only products on the market that will fit properly.
I have to position the XM2's at just the right angle or they'll push on my antihelix and it will get very sore. I don't even feel like my ears are very big. It's a pain I can power through though.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Southern Cassowary posted:

this reminds me - i swapped from a keychain to this orbitkey key organizer several years ago. it's a little leather loop with a metal screw at the end to hold all your keys. it rules - looks nice, keys don't jangle. i keep my car key on the d-ring on the end.

Speaking of keys, if you have ADHD and want to spend 100% less time playing "where the gently caress are my keys??!" as you leave the house, these are great. I have the wallet one too for a similar problem

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Larry Cum Free posted:

Speaking of keys, if you have ADHD and want to spend 100% less time playing "where the gently caress are my keys??!" as you leave the house, these are great. I have the wallet one too for a similar problem

My wife is super scatter brained and loses her poo poo all the time. Bought the pack of those with two buttons, key ring, and wallet insert a few years back and it was such a great purchase. No more stressing about being late for stuff because she can't find her keys/wallet/dexcom, whatever else.

Edit: plus if you can't find your phone, they all have a button on them that makes your phone ring, even if it's on silent. Kinda spendy, but totally worth it.

Roundup Ready fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 19, 2023

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What’s a good power pack that will make my life a bit easier?

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Roundup Ready posted:

Edit: plus if you can't find your phone, they all have a button on them that makes your phone ring, even if it's on silent. Kinda spendy, but totally worth it.

Yeah that is nice. If you have any one of your phone, wallet or keys you can find the other ones!

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Das Boo posted:

angular cheilitis

Learning from goons every day. Never had this before but sounds exactly like what I've been suffering from for like two weeks now.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Jelly posted:

I just want to second this poo poo. I have a higher noise sensitivity than literally anybody I've ever met, misophonia, whatever you want to call it. Recently I moved to the inner city because I am a loving moron, and the foamies I've used my entire life were practically useless. My dad had given me a pair of these last time I visited him and I dug these out on my first night of hell and holy poo poo they did the job and I immediately ordered some more. They also seem to irritate my ears less / less friction.

Also, if anyone reading this thinks they suffer from the same dumb problems I have and something has them at their wits end, a good pair of noise-cancelling headphones is legitimately the best investment I've made in years for my mental health. I'm not talking about some $50 pair on Amazon, it's just not going to do the job, so don't let that act as a measure for what to expect. I've only tried one pair of headphones, ever, that has worked like this, and I'm sure there are more, but I'm going to recommend the ones that I know and that is the Sony XM series. I have the XM2's, but seems they're already up to XM5's. XM2's are pretty much unavailable, you can find XM3's here and there - Here are the XM4's. These are sanctuary to the point that just knowing I have them to retreat to helps me tolerate noise longer.

Three Olives posted:

Oh, yes, bluetooth earbuds are a great investment, the thing that reviews always miss and people asking always miss is choose the right tool for the right job.

This is my current collection:

Plus a pair of AirPods that live on my office desk.

I use all of these constantly for completely different use cases, some of them are paired on the same devices, some of them aren't.

Good headphones are an incredible investment and despite all the review poo poo there is not a "good headphone", there is a good set for you. My husband absolutely swore that there were no comfortable earbuds for him. Until I bought him a pair of Sony WF-1000XM4s, he absolutely loves them. I tried them, I thought there my Airpod Pros with foam tips were everything, I bought myself a pair of WF-1000XM4s and use them pretty both constantly. The weird Sony ring things are amazing for listening to podcasts when you might also want to have interact with people, like say waiting around at a car dealership. Nothing Ear 1, they sound good, they have ANC, I know they were cheap enough that I won't be too upset if they get lost so I bring them places I wouldn't bring my AirPod's Pro and WF-1000XM4s.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Cosmic Web posted:

Standby drain adds to your power bill, and manually turning off the peripherals on a PC/Home system sucks, so get an automatic main-follow power strip.
Once it registers that you've turned off the power of the device that is connected to your main plug (your PC or TV), your monitors and other peripherals connected to the follower plugs will be cut off from power automatically.

our power company gave away a bunch of this kind of power strip, it was awesome

it's perfect for something like a TV that has a bunch of peripherals, and they always come with multiple "always on" ports.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i bet a lego apollo rocket would make my life loads better.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
All that cyberhouse stuff just makes me think rich people are so incompetent that they live in the black and white « before » infomercial universe, hence the need for servants and/or robot servants

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

All that cyberhouse stuff just makes me think rich people are so incompetent that they live in the black and white « before » infomercial universe, hence the need for servants and/or robot servants

congratulations on finally figuring it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm not going to vacuum my house daily and mop it myself three days a week.