Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I see you didn't use the cathedral head for the organ player. It makes a really good helmet for a kitbashed character (Palatine for example)

But you got a lot of moxie going for an Exorcist as your first vehicle, whew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So I started painting up some of my Leviathan Tyranids and chose a color pattern based on being different than my Space Marines. The Marines are Purple/Red so the Tyranids are Hive Fleet Gorgon colors which is tan carapace and green skin, and using doomfire magenta as the internal bits, and yellow brains. That got me thinking, I don't know anything about Hive Fleet Gorgon and I don't have the new codex. Does anyone have a quick overview of Hive Fleet Gorgon play style/specialties? Are they one of the called out fleets/detachments in the codex?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gorgon would either be Invasion Fleet to represent it's high rate of adaptability or Unending Swarm to represent how it spent so much energy constantly evolving it could only afford to make small bioforms. In the fluff the Hive Fleet existed to get its rear end kicked by the Tau and that's about it. The Hive Mind with its memory full of tens of millions of creatures in generic code and the ability to modify the genetic makeup of its soldiers with a mere thought gets out adapted by Tau scientists.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I met the Perry bros at Games Day 2005 (blast from the past!) and idk if Michael ever got a better prosthetic but at the time he was using this extremely cool robot-arm clamp hand thing. He could still use the arm for sculpting, not in actually sculpting detail but to hold the model steady in a clamp while he worked on it with his left.

e: what happened iirc was he was “reloading” the cannon and the powder went off while his arm was in front of it

Games Day owned and they should bring it back

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Eej posted:

Gorgon would either be Invasion Fleet to represent it's high rate of adaptability or Unending Swarm to represent how it spent so much energy constantly evolving it could only afford to make small bioforms. In the fluff the Hive Fleet existed to get its rear end kicked by the Tau and that's about it. The Hive Mind with its memory full of tens of millions of creatures in generic code and the ability to modify the genetic makeup of its soldiers with a mere thought gets out adapted by Tau scientists.

I guess the Tau have some pretty good scientists then!?

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So I started painting up some of my Leviathan Tyranids and chose a color pattern based on being different than my Space Marines. The Marines are Purple/Red so the Tyranids are Hive Fleet Gorgon colors which is tan carapace and green skin, and using doomfire magenta as the internal bits, and yellow brains. That got me thinking, I don't know anything about Hive Fleet Gorgon and I don't have the new codex. Does anyone have a quick overview of Hive Fleet Gorgon play style/specialties? Are they one of the called out fleets/detachments in the codex?

They get a sidebar that says pretty much the same as the half a page in 8th & 9th did: gimmick is they're even quicker to adapt, especially with tailoring the spores and toxins to the needs of the occasion, and they're targeting agricultural worlds trying to taint the imperium's food supply with spores, oh no~

None of the codex detachments are themed like that, so my take is do whatever and treat it as a modelling and painting exercise. I imagine they'll do some sort of detachment that buffs venomthropes and toxicrenes eventually though. Hopefully also find time to bring back malanthropes...

Eej posted:

I reckon someone decided the outdone by Tau thing was lame enough to leave on the cutting room floor, 'cos now all that's mentioned is the Tau having to work together with Lugganath to push back one tendril of Gorgon, and it goes to the point of saying they can overwhelm Death Guard viruses.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Would Hive Fleet Gorgon and Nurgle be friends? What with the poison and plague and whatnot?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

smug jeebus posted:

Games Day owned and they should bring it back

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Would Hive Fleet Gorgon and Nurgle be friends? What with the poison and plague and whatnot?

Not really, Tyranids don't have individual souls and don't feel despair, and I'm not sure what the Shadow In The Warp does to human souls that die of the Tyranid Flu

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Al-Saqr posted:

finished my Neurotyrant! what do you guys think?

crossposted from painting

Again, I like how loud it is. If I had one critique of it (and keep in mind, this is subjective on my part) it is that the brain, being coloured light blue, doesn't show the contrasts of the wrinkles very well.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Samovar posted:

Again, I like how loud it is. If I had one critique of it (and keep in mind, this is subjective on my part) it is that the brain, being coloured light blue, doesn't show the contrasts of the wrinkles very well.

I agree, what I attempted with this is to have the core of the brain hot-white and the blues to be the wrinkles like a plasma reactor, in retrospect the contrast doesnt work as well as as I wouldve liked, I think next time I'll make the creases the darker color and the wrinkles white.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

IncredibleIgloo posted:

How coherently comes and goes with the different writers, but Tyranids proper are always and innately opposed to chaos. I prefer the iterations where the hive mind is more explicitly framed as a sort of 'order' power in the warp (plays better alongside the Necron angle on the warp), but regardless, they're just as hostile to chaos as everything else.

Genestealer Cults you've got more leeway, certainly I don't think anyone at GW can decide on an editorial line for resolving the old free-associative days of Khorne worshipping Orks and GSC and the more modern impulse to have everything in their neat little categories and subcatergories into an actual compelling hook, it being amusing to have rules support for giving your necromunda gang third arms notwithstanding.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Got to test drive a Norn Emissary last night alongside an assimilation swarm list

Sadly I didn't win, but the game was a solid learning experience. In particular I found out that DG are pretty scary, and not to underestimate their many anti-infantry weapons when I'm running an infantry-heavy list that relies on units not getting wiped out to regenerate! I definitely have a better idea how to play into them next time.

The norn and zoanthropes did great; holding the centre objective and being really tought to shift while also fighting through some terrible shooting phase rolls to still kill Morty.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Kitchner posted:

Thought it was the first "real" animal, thought the rest were all like mythic creatures or stylised designs.

I've not really looked too closely at the models though so maybe I just have some sort of animal blindness.

Trajan Valoris is literally wearing a lion cape.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

xtothez posted:

Got to test drive a Norn Emissary last night alongside an assimilation swarm list

Sadly I didn't win, but the game was a solid learning experience. In particular I found out that DG are pretty scary, and not to underestimate their many anti-infantry weapons when I'm running an infantry-heavy list that relies on units not getting wiped out to regenerate! I definitely have a better idea how to play into them next time.

The norn and zoanthropes did great; holding the centre objective and being really tought to shift while also fighting through some terrible shooting phase rolls to still kill Morty.

Oh so the norn emissary can take mortarion in a 1 on 1? Wow thats really powerful

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

xtothez posted:

I love how happy the aquarium plants look in the middle of a battle between horrible disease monsters and endless chittering bugs :allears:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Oh so the norn emissary can take mortarion in a 1 on 1? Wow thats really powerful

I imagine the Zoanthropes did a fair bit of the damage, they're pretty potent from everything I've seen.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

thebardyspoon posted:

I imagine the Zoanthropes did a fair bit of the damage, they're pretty potent from everything I've seen.

Yeah the Norn chipped away at him in combat for a few turns while doing well to tank the return damage. When it finally went down Morty was at 8 wounds, and the six Zoanthropes were able to finish him off.

I also pulled off an unprecedented 40k miracle by command rerolling damage 2+1 into damage 6+1

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

3 Action Economist posted:

Trajan Valoris is literally wearing a lion cape.

He is a Votann now is he? Blimey things really did change!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kitchner posted:

He is a Votann now is he? Blimey things really did change!

He's three Cloneskins standing on top of each other in that suit of armor.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Eej posted:

I see you didn't use the cathedral head for the organ player. It makes a really good helmet for a kitbashed character (Palatine for example)

But you got a lot of moxie going for an Exorcist as your first vehicle, whew

Yeah, I thought about using it but with how fancy the exorcist already is it felt like putting a hat on a hat :v:. I'm definitely going to save that head though to use elsewhere because it's just so ridiculous

I built the rhino from the combat patrol first, but this one was definitely a bit of a step up! It was actually pretty easy to assemble though, I thought it might be easier than Saint Katherine so I decided to do it first. I was actually thinking of using the cathedral head there if it fits on the main attendants

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
In case anyone plans to buy up a load of the new space marines on release...

quote:

Xmas boxset rumours:

Fast attack Spacemarines
jump captain
15 jump assault
outriders
ATV

Votann
hearthguard
Saggitaur buggy
land fortress
Grimnir

Orks
kill rig
20 beast snaggers
squig riders
squig rider HQ

Tyranids
Norn Emissary
Hive Tyrant
20 Hormagaunts
genestealers

World eaters
Angron
berserkers (might be 2)
2x eight bound (might be 1)

Astra millitarum
20 cadian shock troopers
1 command squad
2 rogal dorn battle tanks

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Al-Saqr posted:

I agree, what I attempted with this is to have the core of the brain hot-white and the blues to be the wrinkles like a plasma reactor, in retrospect the contrast doesnt work as well as as I wouldve liked, I think next time I'll make the creases the darker color and the wrinkles white.

I like the aesthetic you’ve got. I’d just make the dark blue darker for more contrast.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

xtothez posted:

I don't really need another Norn Emissary, but the rest of the box is stuff I want, so.....skew list here I come?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

xtothez posted:

They look great, though it was a good reminder for me that actually assembling the strike force I just put together on paper would cost me a cool $910 before shipping or painting supplies. Time to save I suppose!

quote:

++ Army Roster (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Ultramarines) [2,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size: 2. Strike Force (2000 Point limit)

Detachment: Gladius Task Force

+ Epic Hero [340pts] +

Chief Librarian Tigurius [80pts] ($45): Bolt Pistol, Rod of Tigurius, Storm of the Emperor’s Wrath

Marneus Calgar [185pts] ($60): Warlord
. Marneus Calgar: Gauntlets of Ultramar
. 2x Victrix Honour Guard: 2x Victrix Power Sword

Uriel Ventris [75pts] ($40): Bolt Pistol, Invictus, Sword of Idaeus

+ Character [80pts] +

Apothecary Biologis [80pts] ($20): Absolver Bolt Pistol, Bolter Discipline [25pts], Close Combat Weapon

+ Battleline [380pts] +

Heavy intercessor Squad [105pts] ($65)
. Heavy Intercessor Sergeant
. . Heavy Bolt Rifle: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon
. Heavy Intercessor w/Heavy Bolter: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Heavy Bolter
. 3x Heavy Intercessors: 3x Bolt Pistol, 3x Close Combat Weapon, 3x Heavy Bolt Rifle

Heavy intercessor Squad [105pts] ($65)
. Heavy Intercessor Sergeant
. . Heavy Bolt Rifle: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon
. Heavy Intercessor w/Heavy Bolter: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Heavy Bolter
. 3x Heavy Intercessors: 3x Bolt Pistol, 3x Close Combat Weapon, 3x Heavy Bolt Rifle

Intercessor Squad [85pts] ($60): Astartes Grenade Launcher
. Intercessor Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt Pistol, Plasma Pistol
. 4x Intercessors: 4x Bolt Pistol, 4x Bolt Rifle, 4x Close Combat Weapon

Intercessor Squad [85pts] ($0): Astartes Grenade Launcher
. Intercessor Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt Pistol, Plasma Pistol
. 4x Intercessors: 4x Bolt Pistol, 4x Bolt Rifle, 4x Close Combat Weapon

+ Infantry [600pts] +

Aggressor Squad [200pts] ($120)
. Aggressor Sergeant: Power Fist
. 5x Aggressors: 5x Power Fist
. Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets & Fragstorm Grenade Launcher: Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets, Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Desolation Squad [200pts] ($60)
. 4x Desolation Marine: 4x Bolt Pistol, 4x Castellan Launcher, 4x Close Combat Weapon, 4x Superkrak Rocket Launcher
. Desolation Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Castellan Launcher, Close Combat Weapon, Vengor Launcher

Inceptor Squad [115pts] ($60): Plasma Exterminators
. 2x Inceptor: 2x Close Combat Weapon
. Inceptor Sergeant: Close Combat Weapon

Incursor Squad [85pts] ($60): Haywire Mine
. Incursor Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Occulus Bolt Carbine, Paired Combat Blades
. 4x Incursors: 4x Bolt Pistol, 4x Occulus Bolt Carbine, 4x Paired Combat Blades

+ Vehicle [600pts] +

Redemptor Dreadnought [210pts] ($75): Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Redemptor Fist, Twin Storm Bolter

Repulsor [195pts] ($90): Armoured Hull, Hunter-slayer Missile, Las-talon, Repulsor Defensive Array, Twin Lascannon

Repulsor [195pts] ($90): Armoured Hull, Hunter-slayer Missile, Las-talon, Repulsor Defensive Array, Twin Lascannon

++ Total: [2,000pts] ($910) ++

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What do you think of these?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Batch Painting FTW

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Technically speaking there's just base rimming, decals, and some wash/drybrush on the bases I should do but for all intents and purposes it's "done"

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What do you think of these?

Your drybrushing is great at suggesting texture. A real pleasure to look at.

Also the color scheme for the bikes is amazing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

xtothez posted:

Any word on the AoS ones as well?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

xtothez posted:

that votann box is a must buy for me, it sounds like

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah I'm getting some Space Dorfs on the side and I'm only ordering one Hekaton right now so a second is perfect. Hearthguard and Sagitaurs have been sold out since the dataslate (before??) so I guess I can't possibly screw myself out of value until Christmas anyway!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

pick yourself up an army box, they're still in stock at some FLGS, for whatever reason. I bought the above box earlier this year

I did not like painting 20 hearthkyn warriors tho, it was a bit better batch painted

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah I got the army box at launch I'm just expanding it now!

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Cooked Auto posted:

Any word on the AoS ones as well?

I waded thru the spikeybits rumor article

Seems like it will be Holiday boxes of Daves to Darkness, Soulblight, Ossiarch Bonereapers and Seraphon

E: It's making it really hard to resist starting Seraphon, there's still a couple army boxes at my LGS

stackofflapjacks fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 20, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

stackofflapjacks posted:

Seems like it will be Holiday boxes of Daves to Darkness, Soulblight, Ossiarch Bonereapers and Seraphon

Much appreciated, it has already made one friends wallet weep.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

stackofflapjacks posted:

E: It's making it really hard to resist starting Seraphon, there's still a couple army boxes at my LGS

yo what's the ossiarch one? I don't want to go to spikey bits

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

yo what's the ossiarch one? I don't want to go to spikey bits

No details on the AoS boxes in Valrak's video, unfortunately.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
God drat, the Sisters of Battle models look great. Must have been decades of pent up creativity.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Athas posted:

God drat, the Sisters of Battle models look great. Must have been decades of pent up creativity.

Yeah they're super cool. I've been having a blast assembling everything, can't wait to get painting too

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Athas posted:

With how long those old models stuck around, it was literal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
The Exorcist is probably the best model in the game. A pipe organ tank, and also the organ pipes are missile tubes. This transcends even art.