Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Macichne Leainig posted:

I bought one off Amazon like a rube. I can let you know tomorrow when it shows up?

Thanks! What color?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Snowmankilla posted:

Thanks! What color?

The pacific blue to match my blue titanium pro max :)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Macichne Leainig posted:

The pacific blue to match my blue titanium pro max :)

This is what I'm picking up Friday. Apparently my case is ready for pickup now. Thanks Apple. Thapple.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Anyone get issues with videos being edited with the photos app being stuck on “Preparing Video” with no progress? Happens to me most times until I give up and forget about it. Could it be an old phone thing?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I used to get an error while editing downloaded videos on the phone and it ended up being a pretty common issue with how the photos app handles videos with existing metadata and the solution was to resave the video or something to wipe the header.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Took off the spigen case on my 14 and hey wow it’s like having a new phone already. If my job wasn’t so filthy I’d keep it like this. On the other hand I immediately realize I would have to be a little gentler. Apparently I slam my phone onto counters and it’s fine with a case but now I’m scared.

Also I went for the white 15, I want my phone as visible as possible, I’ll take whatever is the brightest.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Snowmankilla posted:

Anyone seen the new not leather cases in person? I’m going to try one, but can’t tell what they look like irl and don’t want to drive to the fruit stand.

The fine woven case? I ordered the green one and have it. Honestly I am thinking of returning it. It doesn't look like it will hold up well. Apparently they scratch very easily also.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
In IOS17, there's a setting in Accessibility to reduce the time duration for a Haptic Touch. I set it to Fast and it's so much better in my opinion.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

serebralassazin posted:

I got one on sale off amazon for $30. It works but is quirky. I had to update the firmware for it to work initially. It will randomly disconnect sometimes or reboot. I had it go into a boot loop once. The latency isn't terrible but it's noticeable. Like skip to next song wait two/three seconds and next song starts playing. For the price it's fine. I remember seeing some for close to a $100. At that price I would not bother.

Meh I’ll just keep a cable then. At least now I won’t have to have a fraying lovely lightning cable in my car.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

~Coxy posted:

In IOS17, there's a setting in Accessibility to reduce the time duration for a Haptic Touch. I set it to Fast and it's so much better in my opinion.

Thank you for this valuable information. It is indeed much better.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Just got my MagSafe puck in the mail. Why doesn’t it have a braided cable at this point?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Give me a MagSafe charging cable that charges everything. Phone, watch, pods, iPad. Come on just do it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

FlapYoJacks posted:

Thank you for this valuable information. It is indeed much better.

Wow yea that’s great. That’s the thing for holding app icons to get direct options. I use it for holding settings or the control center BT icon to get to BT stuff. And lots of other things. I’m gonna have that setting on my iPhones now.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Standby is definitely jacked. I keep removing all of the widgets but 2 from it and turning off whatever smart rotate and suggestions are, the next night I plug my phone in and there’s another random 2 widgets I don’t want front and center.

Still a neat thing to have but man it’s janky and lackluster at the moment.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Even if it worked flawlessly I wouldn’t use it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

frogbs posted:

Just got my MagSafe puck in the mail. Why doesn’t it have a braided cable at this point?

Tim doesn’t have enough courage yet.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Rolo posted:

Standby is definitely jacked. I keep removing all of the widgets but 2 from it and turning off whatever smart rotate and suggestions are, the next night I plug my phone in and there’s another random 2 widgets I don’t want front and center.

Still a neat thing to have but man it’s janky and lackluster at the moment.

Yep. I woke up an hour early this morning thinking I'd overslept my 6am alarm because Standby had somehow reactivated the world clock widget which I removed yesterday.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Creature posted:

Yep. I woke up an hour early this morning thinking I'd overslept my 6am alarm because Standby had somehow reactivated the world clock widget which I removed yesterday.

Aaaaand now I’m not using it until they fix that. I’ve already had issues where if I move multiple time zones multiple times a day the alarm clock doesn’t keep up with the clock. Like I’ll set a 5am alarm and it’ll show as 7am on the lock screen.

Only fix is a restart. Wish they’d make me less nervous about missing work.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I have always gone naked. I went with blue bc the color seemed richer and more visually interesting than the grey of the natural, but apparently the blue and black bands show fingerprints WAY more.

TBF, I do regularly wipe the band on my 13 Pro so maybe not a huge issue but being a tech nerd is about splitting hairs.

I have the same colour MacBook. It is beautiful, but similarly YouTubers get real weird about fingerprints. You’re gonna notice the smudges when you first pick it up but if it’s anything like the laptop once you’ve been using it for a while the smudges will just blend together and not be noticeable. It’s really only a problem for people who need these objects to look a certain way under studio lighting. Don’t stress about it. It’s a really nice and complex that changes with the ambient light.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So far it really seems like Standby was made by people who aren't actually going to use it. Maybe some of these issues aren't the case for newer phones with always-on screens or something but I'm baffled by a few things.
- No option to leave the clock on the screen all the time. Given that Standby only enables when the phone is on charge, it can't be a battery saving issue.
- The default double-widget clock is set to Cupertino and not just "my location". I don't even see a way to set it to just be my current location?
- Requires you staying on charge to change settings, so it's a nightmare to change colours etc. if you're using a wireless (non-Magsafe) charger
- I had no idea what the middle view was since it just kept asking for my passcode. Turns out it's a photo gallery with a clock on it which is nice, but I'd like to be able to set specific albums that are allowed to show up there in case I'm using it in a public place like an office.
- When trying to edit any features, it needs to unlock the phone (reasonable) but defaults to FaceID so either I go through the extra steps to do PIN input, or I tilt my head 90 degrees to look at my phone like a confused puppy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Grumbles posted:

I have the same colour MacBook. It is beautiful, but similarly YouTubers get real weird about fingerprints. You’re gonna notice the smudges when you first pick it up but if it’s anything like the laptop once you’ve been using it for a while the smudges will just blend together and not be noticeable. It’s really only a problem for people who need these objects to look a certain way under studio lighting. Don’t stress about it. It’s a really nice and complex that changes with the ambient light.
Unironically thanks, this is the most useful thing I’ve seen regarding the blue color. :cheers:

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

serebralassazin posted:

The fine woven case? I ordered the green one and have it. Honestly I am thinking of returning it. It doesn't look like it will hold up well. Apparently they scratch very easily also.

Yeah, that’s the one I’m debating. That sucks it feels cheap. I would have guessed it to hold up better than leather.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just tried out StandBy mode to see what all the fuss was and my clock was set to my actual time zone…? It didn’t say “CUP” time or anything like other people have said, and the time shown was my current time on the east coas, not California time. I thought that you could change it by longpressing the clock widget but that only took me to the screen to swap out clock styles so I dunno.

I’m not sure what the difference with me not seeing CUP time is. Have you all seeing CUP time ever created a clock widget before? Maybe it just took my settings from the one(s) I’ve created?

It was the first time I entered the StandBy mode screen because it showed me the welcome screen for it.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Unironically thanks, this is the most useful thing I’ve seen regarding the blue color. :cheers:

Yeah if you’ve had any of the non frosted glass phones it’ll probably be the same deal where the first fingerprint sticks out but the things going to be in your palm a lot so once it’s evenly coated in Goon Grease you won’t notice anything

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Tim doesn’t have enough courage yet.

loving lol.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Saw an article saying the 15 has a feature to limit battery charging to 80%. It's a toggle in settings that older phones don't get. :iiam:

Guess now we'll start get real data if not charging to full preserves battery life.

Battery cycle count is in "about this device" too. Battery janitors rejoice!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

xzzy posted:

Saw an article saying the 15 has a feature to limit battery charging to 80%. It's a toggle in settings that older phones don't get. :iiam:

Guess now we'll start get real data if not charging to full preserves battery life.

Battery cycle count is in "about this device" too. Battery janitors rejoice!

So, you're gonna not use 20% of your battery life every day, just so you can delay how long until your battery would normally lose 20% of its maximum capacity?

:raise:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

So, you're gonna not use 20% of your battery life every day, just so you can delay how long until your battery would normally lose 20% of its maximum capacity?

:raise:

Well sure but I think the idea is you leave it on 80% for average days and on the ones where you're gonna be off the charger for a longer period you charge to full. Theory being that after a few years the overall battery health is higher and you have more available capacity than someone that charges to 100% every time.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
When phones are new, I definitely don’t use a full 80% every day, so it’ll make no difference to me and if it saves me even a single day of having to charge mid-day near the end of the battery’s life, I’ll be thrilled.

My MacBook sits at 80% charge all the time and only ever gets charged to 100% if I’m going on a trip.

I want battery longevity way more than I want battery time-to-empty. I’ll be very happy if the 15s get that feature.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

iOS 17 removed the ability to do fine scrubbing on videos by just swiping on the screen, what the gently caress. I used that feature several times a day.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

FCKGW posted:

iOS 17 removed the ability to do fine scrubbing on videos by just swiping on the screen, what the gently caress. I used that feature several times a day.

Yeah, I was wondering about that

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

xzzy posted:

Well sure but I think the idea is you leave it on 80% for average days and on the ones where you're gonna be off the charger for a longer period you charge to full. Theory being that after a few years the overall battery health is higher and you have more available capacity than someone that charges to 100% every time.

It’s $99 to replace a battery. Stick $5 a month into your sock drawer and in 20 months you can replace the battery and in the meantime never worry about janitoring your battery health or forgetting to charge to full or have your phone shut off on that one day you didn’t plan on staying out. Ffs it’s $5 a month.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

So far it really seems like Standby was made by people who aren't actually going to use it. Maybe some of these issues aren't the case for newer phones with always-on screens or something but I'm baffled by a few things.
- No option to leave the clock on the screen all the time. Given that Standby only enables when the phone is on charge, it can't be a battery saving issue.
- The default double-widget clock is set to Cupertino and not just "my location". I don't even see a way to set it to just be my current location?
- Requires you staying on charge to change settings, so it's a nightmare to change colours etc. if you're using a wireless (non-Magsafe) charger
- I had no idea what the middle view was since it just kept asking for my passcode. Turns out it's a photo gallery with a clock on it which is nice, but I'd like to be able to set specific albums that are allowed to show up there in case I'm using it in a public place like an office.
- When trying to edit any features, it needs to unlock the phone (reasonable) but defaults to FaceID so either I go through the extra steps to do PIN input, or I tilt my head 90 degrees to look at my phone like a confused puppy.

It's 100% made for the AOD phones and they just let it also be there for older ones for... reasons.

You can't change that specific clock to "my location", it always has to be a chosen city. That's what the widget is, "Time in City X". You can change it to a few local clock options though.

You can choose what albums the photo gallery uses.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Boris Galerkin posted:

It’s $99 to replace a battery. Stick $5 a month into your sock drawer and in 20 months you can replace the battery and in the meantime never worry about janitoring your battery health or forgetting to charge to full or have your phone shut off on that one day you didn’t plan on staying out. Ffs it’s $5 a month.

Or you could just not worry how others charge their battery.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Will they replace the battery no questions asked? I tried to get my iPad Pro battery replaced and they basically were like, yeah no, it's just not quite their yet in degraded capacity. But I also think they just give you a new refurbed iPad Pro instead of doing the battery work on it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m on the iUP I will never charge to a mere 80%

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sticking my phone in the freezer so the battery will stay healthy forevermore

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Some days I don't even turn my phone on. Even after a few years the battery is still perky AF.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Snowy posted:

I’m on the iUP I will never charge to a mere 80%

Same here. I was going to wait until January when I'm up for renewal, but I bit the bullet and paid the extra dough so my renewals sync up to new iPhone releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Disappointing Pie posted:

Will they replace the battery no questions asked? I tried to get my iPad Pro battery replaced and they basically were like, yeah no, it's just not quite their yet in degraded capacity. But I also think they just give you a new refurbed iPad Pro instead of doing the battery work on it.

If you’re on AC I’m assuming no, they won’t, they’ll replace it when their diagnosis says to. But the $99 I quoted is the out of pocket cost for someone without AC. I’m assuming that they’ll replace the battery no questions asked if I’m paying full price for it.