Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Yeah, he can be very lazy with how he draws women. Not with how he writes them, and when he puts in the effort he still can nail a great design, but it is nice to know that OPLA will not have the sameface issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Imagine if it did tho.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I know it will never get there, but I really want them to get to Big Mom, because she's the best villain character in all of fiction. Get Margo Martindale to play her.

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 20, 2023

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Quote not edit

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lpzie posted:

Imagine if it did tho.
Can't wait for Emily Rudd in a Blue Wig

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's a disservice to call it laziness, the man knows full well what parts he's emphasising. And a lot of the designs are still unique enough that you're not gonna struggle too hard to tell two female characters apart.

If you want to see sameface, check out Detective Conan, where every mystery is required to use 6 of the 10 stock character styles that fella can draw.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oda married a nami cosplayer and all the women he drew became va-voom

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Didn't he marry the anime voice actor for Nami?

Edit: Looked it up, nope it was literally a Nami cosplayer :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 20, 2023

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ok the show owned and now i wanna read what happens, im guessing the manga > the anime?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The anime has some very cool stuff but it's also notorious for astonishing amounts of filler/padding, so I definitely recommend the manga which is just fantastic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah. You can either start from the beginning to see how it played out in the original version, or pick up from around chapter 90 or so to wrap up arlong park and move on from there.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The anime is mostly fine early on but it does fall off a cliff once it catches up with the manga and starts having to pad things out, yeah.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Plus most people are going to find the manga more accessible since you can put the Viz app (if available in your region) on your phone and read a chapter or two when you get the chance.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The anime is good but some of the longer arcs later in the series take a while to get through due to them catching up to the manga, and it can feel like a slog at times. It's also not immediately clear to new viewers which story arcs in the anime are filler and which are actually related to the plot. There isn't really a "wrong" choice though, and I generally enjoy the anime more despite it's flaws. You can watch the anime on Netflix now, which I feel like everyone has already, or Crunchyroll. The manga is available for like $2 through the shonen jump/viz app.

Short version: both good, both easily accessible

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It's a disservice to call it laziness, the man knows full well what parts he's emphasising. And a lot of the designs are still unique enough that you're not gonna struggle too hard to tell two female characters apart.

If you want to see sameface, check out Detective Conan, where every mystery is required to use 6 of the 10 stock character styles that fella can draw.

Aoyama CAN draw more people. He just doesn't.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If you want to check out the anime, get a hold of a filler list so you can avoid stuff. With one or two notable exceptions, none of them have that spark the Oda stuff does and the pacing can be kind of slow even so. Shonen Jump has a ridiculously low cost subscription to read it officially if you want to go with the manga even if you'll run into an oddity here and there, like their odd insistence on spelling it 'Zolo.'

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 20, 2023

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

queeb posted:

ok the show owned and now i wanna read what happens, im guessing the manga > the anime?

Manga is great if you like reading manga, if you prefer watching TV it'll definitely take longer but I think people here exaggerate some of the drag of the anime. I watched anime first and then switched to manga and it's definitely faster paced but I sometimes like to linger in moments a bit longer since I'm used to the pace of the anime. I'll continue with both probably.

If you do decide to watch the anime everyone will bring up one pace but it's such a hassle to download and follow IMHO. Just look up a list of pure filler episodes if you don't want the extras that aren't in the manga and definitely won't be plot relevant later. (I think some of them are fun though)

Welcome to the pirate cult!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

oh hey there's a colorized version of the manga? I'll probably give that a go for now

edit: actualyl gently caress it ill dive into the full anime, see if i can slap the few hundred eps on netflix, i work from home so its easier to watch while working than read something on a 2nd monitor

queeb fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 20, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the anime is red-hot up through Alabasta at minimum and Enies Lobby at the latest. after that it starts to flag, though bits of it are still essential supplements to the manga like the Thriller Bark coda

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Oxxidation posted:

the anime is red-hot up through Alabasta at minimum and Enies Lobby at the latest. after that it starts to flag, though bits of it are still essential supplements to the manga like the Thriller Bark coda

So it's good for like 350 EPs and the following 700 are okay? Haha

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Yeah, watching Water 7 et al. is what made me get back into OP and completely catch up with the manga. You're good for a couple hundred of great episodes of TV is your thing, though once it flags it flags hard. But there are still scenes absolutely worth experiencing animated as a supplement to what you read.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the colorized version of the manga has an insanely terrible fan translation iirc

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
the color also just feels wrong to me. manga weren't meant to have color i tell you what

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just finished this show myself and liked it. I like that Buggy's intro acts as a counterpoint to Nami and Zoro's denial of Luffy's worldview - he says that all great fighters call out their moves and Zoro denies that, Nami claims that all pirates are the same - and then they are faced with a deranged pirate clown who calls out his finishing moves. Also the destruction of Arlong Park (live action spoilers) was great.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I did like the change to give Arlong Park more of an amusement park/carnival theme to it. It feels like a lot of the East Blue stuff that LAOP changed up is more in keeping with what Oda would have done from the start if he knew his manga had the legs it does.

Except Nami's backstory.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Arlong Park suffered the worst from the changes, I think. The march on Arlong Park being delayed by a detour into town and Luffy seeing Namis room/chains and not reacting felt wrong.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

God speed Jamie. Top comment there is the show runner so hey, seems pretty dang likely if the money's there.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 22, 2023

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
She'd be perfect for that

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jamie Lee Curtis and her muppet son, please Netflix I don't ask for much but that and a 15 season commitment.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One Piece Live Action: Jamie Lee Curtis and her Muppet Son must be the name of the next season's thread

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I know people want one of those elaborate, walking muppets but I'm totally in favor of a classic muppet Chopper who is always filmed from the waist up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Have him ride a bike in one scene

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
You know what, just replace Chopper with Kermit the Frog actually. I'd be down for that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

god dammit now i'm gonna be casting an entire Muppet One Piece in my head at work tomorrow

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

god dammit now i'm gonna be casting an entire Muppet One Piece in my head at work tomorrow

Everyone is a muppet except for Chopper. For Chopper, need any classically trained theater actor who plays the role dead serious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ian McKellan: Saying that doesn't make me happy you jerk! :sweatdrop:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I know it will never get there, but I'd like to see them reach Gear Five just to see a fully animated Luffy clowning on live action opponents "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" style for ten minutes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Jamie Lee Curtis and her muppet son, please Netflix I don't ask for much but that and a 15 season commitment.

And also billion dollar episode budgets for later seasons.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Based on some of the anime and a couple of the movies, and the live action series, I think I liked the live action more based on not having juvenile fanservice and pervert characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, I picked up where the Live Action left off and watched ~30 episodes of the Anime and it's uhh... not very good compared to the Live Action. The story and world are neat and I'm excited to see them in future seasons of the Live Action but good lord is every single character insufferable in the anime. I hear the manga is better but I'll just wait for future Netflix seasons.