Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Got a link to that checklist?

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/16ir8l5/monday_night_wars_chronological_check_list_w/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Thanks

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

HonorableTB posted:

2 Cold Scorpio reminds me a lot of don't copy that floppy and I can't put my finger on why

Early 90's Hiphop was still upbeat, fun, and dare I say wholesome.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Animal-Mother posted:

Early 90's Hiphop was still upbeat, fun, and dare I say wholesome.

And WCW decided to capture this market by the throat with PN News. Yo baby yo baby yo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
On the 7/16/88 taping of NWA-WCW there is a hint of the Midnight express wanting to go after arn and tully for the world belt. I'm sad this most likely never comes to pass. The matches would have been incredible.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Mr Hootington posted:

On the 7/16/88 taping of NWA-WCW there is a hint of the Midnight express wanting to go after arn and tully for the world belt. I'm sad this most likely never comes to pass. The matches would have been incredible.
It happens and was going well until Arn and Tully quit. There's a camcorder video of the title change.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

davidbix posted:

It happens and was going well until Arn and Tully quit. There's a camcorder video of the title change.

I'm stoked.

The 2 best tag teams in the jcp roster going at it is going to rule

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Tonight I watched and wrote about War Games from Fall Brawl 1994 and it was way more fun than it had any right to be. Dusty, Dustin, and The Nasty Boys vs Terry Funk, Arn Anderson, Bunkhouse Bunk, and Colonel Robert Parker.

No fluff, just pretty much non-stop from bell to bell and Parker apparently poo poo his pants at the end! Wasn’t a gruesome blood bath or anything but I enjoyed it quite a bit, especially considering it involves The Nasty Boys.

I figured Parker was just there to be in for a few minutes and eat a loss, which is essentially what happened, so having a non-wrestler in the match didn’t hurt anything. Plus, he had incredible heat on him and the crowd went nuts any time he was getting his rear end kicked.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ganso Bomb posted:

I figured Parker was just there to be in for a few minutes and eat a loss, which is essentially what happened, so having a non-wrestler in the match didn’t hurt anything. Plus, he had incredible heat on him and the crowd went nuts any time he was getting his rear end kicked.

Heh.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

A non-wrestler at that time. I know he was a wrestler before being a manager. I’d say the same for Bobby Heenan being in a match like this at the height of the Heenan Family days.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Figures the horrible WWE fanboys would make fun of Big Wood. They've never known what was cool.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

what if Brooke made it for him? Hulkster is a good dad brother

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wish I was there for "Hey, Knobs, call me Woodman, dude!"

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I wish I was there for "Hey, Knobs, call me Woodman, dude!"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

atomic fire doesn't work for me brother

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Ganso Bomb posted:

No fluff, just pretty much non-stop from bell to bell and Parker apparently poo poo his pants at the end! Wasn’t a gruesome blood bath or anything but I enjoyed it quite a bit, especially considering it involves The Nasty Boys.

Big dumb brawls were the only thing the Nasties did well; their hardcore tag matches against Cactus Jack and his various partners were super fun.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

CombineThresher posted:

Big dumb brawls were the only thing the Nasties did well; their hardcore tag matches against Cactus Jack and his various partners were super fun.

I seem to remember them having some wild fun brawls with Harlem Heat, too. Maybe the Nasty Boys only really flourished in WCW?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb posted:

I seem to remember them having some wild fun brawls with Harlem Heat, too. Maybe the Nasty Boys only really flourished in WCW?

Anybody who'd fight back they were pretty good with. They also had at least one good match with the Steiners, even if they were basically all trying to murder each other.

One thing that's always got me is Hulk "Wood" Hogan is really good friends with Knobs but apparently not Sags?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Dawgstar posted:

Anybody who'd fight back they were pretty good with. They also had at least one good match with the Steiners, even if they were basically all trying to murder each other.

One thing that's always got me is Hulk "Wood" Hogan is really good friends with Knobs but apparently not Sags?

wood knob

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

No, I'm told his wood sags. :smugdog:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The Hulkster was just ahead of the game when it came to using SEO to bury negative press

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

History Comes Inside! posted:

The Hulkster was just ahead of the game when it came to using SEO to bury negative press

Hulk fashioned the initial tubes of the internet but passed the torch to Brother Gore when Metallica came calling

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Trying posted:

Hulk fashioned the initial tubes of the internet but passed the torch to Brother Gore when Metallica came calling

Hulk Hogan meat tubes

18-inch pythons

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Lmao at that Chris Champio. Vs Don Valentine fight. Good God. That entire 8-6-88 show was a mess. You can kind of sense things are falling apart now.

It was mentioned that Champion was awful. What did he do?

Edit: the Midnight express/four horsemen fued is good. Cornette and dillion having poo poo talking matches is great.

Edit2: dusty teamed up with murdoch again? He went anti-babyface?

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 20, 2023

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao at that Chris Champio. Vs Don Valentine fight. Good God. That entire 8-6-88 show was a mess. You can kind of sense things are falling apart now.

Bryan and Vinny reviewed that match a couple years ago. Needless to say they were not impressed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slL8f5i44iM

Edit upon rewatching that vid: Is that referee Teddy Long? Weird seeing him with hair.

Germansimp fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 20, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Germansimp posted:

Bryan and Vinny reviewed that match a couple years ago. Needless to say they were not impressed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slL8f5i44iM

Edit upon rewatching that vid: Is that referee Teddy Long? Weird seeing him with hair.

Teddy long was the NWA-WCW TV show referee starting in '87 I think

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Champion ended his partners career by being a reckless gently caress

Plus allegations of abuse iirc

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Decided to do a Monday Night War watch using that list posted earlier and watching Raw episode 1, probably my third or fourth time watching it and here's some thoughts on everything as I watch it;

They really overdo it with the fat jokes in this Yokozuna and Koko B Ware match they open with, also they make a joke about Koko being a grown up Gary Coleman that feels vaguely racist even though it probably wasn't the intent

Narcissus might just be one of the stupidest ring names I've ever heard in the admittedly relatively short time I've been a wrestling fan

Scott Steiner here in 1993 compared to the living meme he becomes by the end of the decade is a world of difference, also Rick Steiner is able to pull off wearing a tie-dye singlet without looking like an idiot for one simple reason, he's got the same sort of "this man could probably wrestle a bear and win" energy we'd see about a decade later with Brock Lesnar

Bobby Heenan in drag has not aged very well

Razor Ramon's outfit here just screams 1993(though the outfit Owen was wearing in the footage they showed of Razor attacking him is just as powerfully 1993)

Tatanka's whole gimmick has not aged well at all

Max Moon is a very unusual design, while Shawn Michaels is wearing a shirt that is more chains than fabric

They're doing this really loving dumb bit with Vince talking to "Mike Tyson" on the phone and it's so drat corny

This WWF Mania commercial meanwhile is the good kind of corny

Marty Janetty really comes off as a generic dope compared to HBK

Mr Fuji just makes me uncomfortable at how blatantly racist his gimmick is

Now Bobby Heenan is trying to pretend to be a Rabbi and barely even trying

What the ever living gently caress is this segment with Kamala?

Paul Bearer is just having either an orgasm or a stroke and its making me uncomfortable

Very mixed bag overall but for their very first episode not bad all things considered

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

I was waiting so long for you to reach this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

atomic fire doesn't work for me brother
i dont mind if mega man goes over, brother, but im gonna get my win back in the teleporter room dude

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

drrockso20 posted:

Mr Fuji just makes me uncomfortable at how blatantly racist his gimmick is
He was the 11-time winner of Big Dave's Worst Manager Awards, until he was replaced by Sonny Onoo. I never understood why anyone thought either of those characters was a good idea. I mean, I understand it, but I don't understand it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

He was the 11-time winner of Big Dave's Worst Manager Awards, until he was replaced by Sonny Onoo. I never understood why anyone thought either of those characters was a good idea. I mean, I understand it, but I don't understand it.

Not only was the gimmick incredibly racist, Fuji couldn't even do anything. His back went to crap long before Bobby's so he couldn't do bumps, couldn't give good promos... I guess he was an example of Vince's weird bursts of loyalty?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Not only was the gimmick incredibly racist, Fuji couldn't even do anything. His back went to crap long before Bobby's so he couldn't do bumps, couldn't give good promos... I guess he was an example of Vince's weird bursts of loyalty?

IIRC when Sr sold to Jr there was a list of people he was basically obligated to keep around/look after, one of which was Lou Albano. Perhaps Fuji was also on thst list.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Might be totally wrong, but if I remember right, Fuji's real job was as a fixer. The guy you call when one of the boys does something stupid and you have to send someone to keep them out of prison.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Might be totally wrong, but if I remember right, Fuji's real job was as a fixer. The guy you call when one of the boys does something stupid and you have to send someone to keep them out of prison.

I've heard something like this as well, now that you mention it.

He was also very fond of taking new guys bags and padlocking them to overhead pipes in the locker room.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I've read that Gary Hart declined to go to WWE because he didn't want to deal with that kind of bullshit from Fuji and Strongbow.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Halloween Jack posted:

Sonny Onoo was the office’s Japanese liaison, and having a bilingual manager for Japanese talent you’re bringing in is a good idea but they really should have found someone on-camera who was better than him. It’s not like he’s the only guy in the country who speaks English and Japanese.

I have no idea why they had him managing luchadores or doing a double act with the Cat.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 21, 2023

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I've heard something like this as well, now that you mention it.

He was also very fond of taking new guys bags and padlocking them to overhead pipes in the locker room.

So glad this ended with “padlocking them…” and not “taking a poo poo in them”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Rock n roll express broke up in August 1988?