Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

Ranger/cleric because an oversight gives them access to all druid spells. Which includes possibly the best anti-caster spell in the game as well as some very good buffs.

Mage/thief is fine, since you only need quarterstaff proficiency for maximum backstab and thief's Use Any Item opens up a lot of possibilities for gear in the late game.

Mage/thieves can use any weapons that thieves can, it's only cleric and druid multiclasses that get the more restrictive of the two classes' proficiencies.

Also in the EEs, Ranger/Clerics only get access to level 3 or lower druid spells by default (though this is an option that can be switched on or off).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oh dang , yeah I forgot that they fixed the R/C spell list. Leaving it in as a toggle is nice attention to detail though

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Oh dang , yeah I forgot that they fixed the R/C spell list. Leaving it in as a toggle is nice attention to detail though

It does require an ini tweak though.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bhaal forbid anyone have to open Notepad :ohdear: Oh, I guess that hoses over people who play on mobile devices?

I think I'd do fighter/thief and mage/cleric because those are more straight-forward combinations. (IMO) The hypothetical doesn't specify if I can bring in NPCs, because my duo wouldn't really have a front-liner, aside from summons I suppose. But then again, planetars are kind of nice.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rappaport posted:

Bhaal forbid anyone have to open Notepad :ohdear: Oh, I guess that hoses over people who play on mobile devices?

I think I'd do fighter/thief and mage/cleric because those are more straight-forward combinations. (IMO) The hypothetical doesn't specify if I can bring in NPCs, because my duo wouldn't really have a front-liner, aside from summons I suppose. But then again, planetars are kind of nice.

I was thinking no, just "what's your preferred way to build a two-character team that covers all the bases.

I've done a R/C charname plus Imoen before which was pretty fun, although I did add Sarevok in ToB for Maximum Bhaalers

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

sweet geek swag posted:

It does require an ini tweak though.

There's a mod that lets you add all those hidden options into the UI, too.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Mage/thief and fighter/cleric
Fighter/thief and mage/cleric
These both have almost zero compromises on itemization and spell selection and tactics than if you had the same classes split across 4 people.

Fighter/mage and cleric/thief on the other hand gives you the exceedingly easy to itemize and spell select generic BG2 gish build of a F/M but the annoying limitations of the glass bludgeon that is the cleric/thief. Not that cleric/thief doesn't have a lot of fun things to do it's just all annoying to do in this engine.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Fighter/Cleric is less painful early on, as you'll actually have someone who can tank in heavy armour.
Agreed that it doesn't matter later on, though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Defining your tank by AC quickly ends in tears but a fighter/thief and mage/cleric can both throw on armor per encounter based on what you're fighting and if you're really going to cast a spell or backstab this encounter.

By BG2 AC tank is totally a dream and you're just buffing to the gills anyway.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah in BG2 you either CC everything so hard a tank is unnecessary, or tank with summons like mordenkainen’s sword, or, if you absolutely must, tank with stoneskin.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah in BG2 you either CC everything so hard a tank is unnecessary, or tank with summons like mordenkainen’s sword, or, if you absolutely must, tank with stoneskin.

That's only true for the last 20% of the game and TOB. Pretty much everything in chapter 2 and 3, which is the bulk of the game, can be tanked by someone with like -4 or lower AC.

late game yeah, you want to prioritise elemental resistance, damage reduction, saving throws and poo poo like Stoneskin/ironskins/mirror image etc

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Or get your Dwarven Defender at like 80% physical resist by mid bg2 and just have him stand in front of everyone.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Or get your Dwarven Defender at like 80% physical resist by mid bg2 and just have him stand in front of everyone.

You'd have to EEKeep your DD into a multiclass tho

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So the other day, I was looking at a FAQ or something regarding BG2 (can't remember what it was now), and read that the High Level Abilities (HLAs) were added into Throne of Bhaal to be akin to the feats from D&D 3e. On top of that, apparently the Barbarian class in BG2 is modeled after the 3e version.

I had always assumed everything from BG1 and BG2 were all purely from 2e AD&D. I know IWD2 was modeled more after 3e, but are there any other things like that in BG?

Got a little bit burnt out on bg2 and all the quest mods I had installed, so I just skipped a bunch of them and went through the end to ToB, still feeling burnt out with all the ridiculous high level mages, so I started IWD as a break.

Forgot how good this game is, the area art is gorgeous and it's so focused, and nice to build up a party from zero again. I think I rate it above BG1 Playing with a bunch of Lava's quest mods and they fit in quite well so far.

Set it to BG1 style weapon proficiencies and I think that's how I'll play these games from now on, so much nicer when you can actually use the cool weapons you find.

I like how Kuldahar acts as a hub and things change as you progress. In IWD2 I remember it being just new combat area s one after the other once you leave targos. and I felt desperate after a while to just find a nice little town, but it just moves you on relentlessly. Then once you finally find one it's that horrible forest...

I still need to play IWD 1 and 2. I had it installed, and I made a bunch of characters, but never actually started it. I switched computers not too long ago, so short of figuring out how to transfer the characters over from the old machine, I might just have to roll up new ones.

Going from memory of what I made and what I was recommended, I think what I was going to go with was:

Dwarven Defender
Mage (no specialization)
Fighter/Thief (multi-class)
Inquisitor
Druid
Bard (Blade kit?)

Maybe there's a better party composition, though.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Pretty sure the Sorcerer was a 3e+ concept, that's why they don't really have a casting stat or any overly complicated tables associated with them because they were backwards ported into 2e for the purpose of the game

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Barbarian, sorcerer, and monk were all backports cobbled from very early drafts of 3e floated in front of Bioware.

There's also the curiosity of IWD:HOW having a toggleable sneak attack option based on 3e.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I should have gotten IWD when it was on sale for $5.

I'll just wait for the next sale, they seem regular on GoG and I have literal years of gaming already

The real question is whether the cds I have or the bethesda.net copy I was given of NWN still work

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

So the other day, I was looking at a FAQ or something regarding BG2 (can't remember what it was now), and read that the High Level Abilities (HLAs) were added into Throne of Bhaal to be akin to the feats from D&D 3e. On top of that, apparently the Barbarian class in BG2 is modeled after the 3e version.

I had always assumed everything from BG1 and BG2 were all purely from 2e AD&D. I know IWD2 was modeled more after 3e, but are there any other things like that in BG?

I still need to play IWD 1 and 2. I had it installed, and I made a bunch of characters, but never actually started it. I switched computers not too long ago, so short of figuring out how to transfer the characters over from the old machine, I might just have to roll up new ones.

Going from memory of what I made and what I was recommended, I think what I was going to go with was:

Dwarven Defender
Mage (no specialization)
Fighter/Thief (multi-class)
Inquisitor
Druid
Bard (Blade kit?)

Maybe there's a better party composition, though.

Similar to my party but I'm using a mod that lets you build your own multikits, I have:

Dwarven Defender/Priest of Tempus
Undead Hunter
Berserker/Totemic Druid
Blade
Fighter/Bounty Hunter
Dragon Disciple

Blades start off weak but get really strong later on, sorcerers time rule in IWD for just being able to drop nukes and cc constantly. Not a lot beats the haste/slow combo.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hate seeing the thread almost hit page five

I am continuing to wander around down south and west clearing areas and leveling the team. Almost have everyone to level 4, and Imoen just hit five. Do I risk going into areas with mobs too high for me or are some areas level locked?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

I am continuing to wander around down south and west clearing areas and leveling the team. Almost have everyone to level 4, and Imoen just hit five. Do I risk going into areas with mobs too high for me or are some areas level locked?

Some areas are locked based on story progression, but not by level.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Bilirubin posted:

You're fine to wander freely south of BG - there are a few areas with tougher enemies, but usually because they require a specific hard counter, not because you're underleveled. A basilisk will petrify a level 6 character almost as easily as a level 1 character. The only place you might want to steer clear from is Durlag's Tower. Save that for later.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I keep forgetting how powerful Chaos is. Such a lovely spell that makes otherwise hard fights much easier!

Edit: Oh wait, dammit. Is Horrid Wilting not party-friendly in Icewind Dale? What on earth!! Nani the gently caress!

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 22, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Bilirubin posted:

The real question is whether the cds I have or the bethesda.net copy I was given of NWN still work

Do yourself a favour and grab the EE for NWN, it has a ton of improvements all over the place and many player modules tap into it. Plus it comes stock with some old official extra modules, steam workshop integration, a curated community spotlight section for highly rated player modules, and the official DLCs have some cool adventures (Daggerford and Tyrants are pretty neat with some overland map exploration, Pirates of the Sword Coast is a ton of fun and super cheap, etc). Beamdog have done wonders with NWN and barring an absolute need to revisit history, there's no real reason to play the old Diamond Edition.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I've discovered there's a combination of mods you can use to play IWD2 in bg2ee, as a standalone campaign. Apparently the conversion to 2e isn't totally finished and it's still definitely a beta, but I might give it a go at some point. I don't think I could go back from all the bells and whistles of the enhanced editions.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

FishMcCool posted:

Do yourself a favour and grab the EE for NWN, it has a ton of improvements all over the place and many player modules tap into it. Plus it comes stock with some old official extra modules, steam workshop integration, a curated community spotlight section for highly rated player modules, and the official DLCs have some cool adventures (Daggerford and Tyrants are pretty neat with some overland map exploration, Pirates of the Sword Coast is a ton of fun and super cheap, etc). Beamdog have done wonders with NWN and barring an absolute need to revisit history, there's no real reason to play the old Diamond Edition.

oh cool its on sale on GoG 75% off

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I really disliked the original NWN1 campaign because you only had your PC plus a hireling. I wish you could have a party of 4.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Well I got IWD for $6, will wait on NWN until I play through the other several years worth of games I already have in the queue

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

FishMcCool posted:

so about this, i just decided gently caress it and got on sale on steam but ive noticed a bunch of the premium modules from back in the day are paid dlcs but i already own these for the old version, stuff like darkness over daggerford, wyvern crown, infinite dungeons, is there any way to get these back or am gonna have to buy them again (tbf i think daggerford used to be free? i notice its the most expensive of the dlc but the module is pretty good so fair i guess) never did finish wyvern tho i'd like to give that another go.

is there a another place for modules tho like what we used to have for the vault? the steam workshop clearly doesnt have everything reuploaded and theres a few i'd like to find again, might still have the installers but dunno if its a straight install into the ee?

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Vargatron posted:

I really disliked the original NWN1 campaign because you only had your PC plus a hireling. I wish you could have a party of 4.

yeah i agree, tho the 2 official bioware expansions and whatever midway module you pick is a way better experience

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

I've discovered there's a combination of mods you can use to play IWD2 in bg2ee, as a standalone campaign. Apparently the conversion to 2e isn't totally finished and it's still definitely a beta, but I might give it a go at some point. I don't think I could go back from all the bells and whistles of the enhanced editions.

theres an iwd2 "EE" mod, i dunno if its finished but stuff i saw of it did things like fixing the fog of war flicker and other ee like stuff

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Yeah I think it's been in closed beta for ages, it looks pretty cool. The main thing though is running in 4k and being able to zoom in and scale the UI, which you still won't be able to do in that version.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

so about this, i just decided gently caress it and got on sale on steam but ive noticed a bunch of the premium modules from back in the day are paid dlcs but i already own these for the old version, stuff like darkness over daggerford, wyvern crown, infinite dungeons, is there any way to get these back or am gonna have to buy them again (tbf i think daggerford used to be free? i notice its the most expensive of the dlc but the module is pretty good so fair i guess) never did finish wyvern tho i'd like to give that another go.

is there a another place for modules tho like what we used to have for the vault? the steam workshop clearly doesnt have everything reuploaded and theres a few i'd like to find again, might still have the installers but dunno if its a straight install into the ee?
I think you have to buy the DLC again, because it's a different company now. But they are probably on sale a lot/not expensive.

Yes, the Vault still very much exists: https://neverwintervault.org/ If you have any trouble finding something, there is a Vault discord. And the subreddit is active.
Though you can also get some of the bigger player-made campaigns via the in-game 'New Game' menu I believe.

The modding community is still super active.

Also there are an absolute ton of active persistent world servers!

Last thing - you might want to get some of the visual overhauls. They are only partial (we haven't overhauled all the assets in the game...yet) but they are pretty great even so. There are some links in this FAQ post: https://www.reddit.com/r/neverwinternights/comments/tmof98/neverwinter_nights_1_enhanced_edition_new_player/

Vargatron posted:

The main campaign was very much an afterthought, because the game itself was built as a 'play D&D online with your friends as a video game' engine, rather than a big traditional singleplayer game.

A lot of idiots like me who's played NWN on and off for over 20 years... have never actually completed any of the singleplayer campaigns at all, lol. A lot of the playerbase is only interested in the actual 'USP' of NWN, which is the persistent world servers, the DM client, and the creation tools/modding.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 23, 2023

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

wandering the west is doing well for xp, have everyone over 4 (even multiclassers like Jahira), and have Dynaheir full up on spells. Dropped the moonblade off near where Xan's corpse is in the gnoll stronghold, got some more xp there. So many wolves

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Vargatron posted:

Yeah the lack of a real party is why I'm thinking about skipping NWN1 in my CRPG binge.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

wandering the west is doing well for xp, have everyone over 4 (even multiclassers like Jahira), and have Dynaheir full up on spells. Dropped the moonblade off near where Xan's corpse is in the gnoll stronghold, got some more xp there. So many wolves

Forgot that during my reign of terror in the west I managed to save Brage, priest made it rain on us, and I now have a rep of 19.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Have you found Bassilus yet? The town crier in Beregost tells you the deets, he's worth a lot of money.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah the lack of a real party is why I'm thinking about skipping NWN1 in my CRPG binge.

It might not have a real party, but the two expansion packs are great plays.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Rappaport posted:

Have you found Bassilus yet? The town crier in Beregost tells you the deets, he's worth a lot of money.

Yeah got that one sorted a few sessions ago

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
i'm finishing up bg1 and moving into SOD, but i need help planning out my part for shadows of amn, first time with an evil party

this is what i've locked down

MC (kensai dagger thrower, ranged dps)
Dorn (frontliner)
Edwin (arcane caster)
Viconia (divine caster)

I need to fill the two remaining slots with evil-compatible party members. feel like a mage/thief would be handy as just 2 casters seems like not enough to handle an SCS (normal difficulty though) game. people don't seem to like hexxat much, so maybe jan is the pick for thieving? or yoshimo -> imoen i guess

for the 6th slot i was thinking korgan for another frontliner or maybe haer'dalis, neither of whom i've used before. any other suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Wilson is neutral, too!