Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

rwandan coffee is incredibly fruity, I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I mostly drink coffees roasted by Langøra these days, and their Ethiopia, Kenya and Rwanda are great, but pretty interchangeable. The naturals are super fruity without going into boozy/sourdough territory, while the washed ones are more citrus forward.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

If yall like fruity, try roasting some Salvadoran Finca San Luis from Sweet Maria's.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

Accidentally posted this as it's own thread because I'm a tired moron, so here's a second attempt.

So, I just found out about the La Pavoni line of manual lever espresso makers and I think I'm finally gonna pull the trigger on espresso brewing and espresso bean roasting. You all talked me into hand grinding espresso on what will almost definitely be a 1Zpresso JX Pro S (since it would only be like 8-16 grams of beans at a time which is a very different ballgame from when I used to hand grind almost 45g of beans for pourover/french press) which would save me a ton of money and counter space. Combined with a lever espresso machine, this is gonna not only be the height of true coffee making (in my mind), but will also save so much space and teach me really how to finally attack my Everest (espresso) head on. I'm very hard headed and am totally ok with spending a ton of time dialing all this in, so no need to warn me about that.

Having said this, have any of you all had any experience with La Pavoni's lever machines or other home lever machines that maybe perform better? I would like to spend no more than about $1k on the machine, if possible, but would be willing to spend a bit more for higher quality or a decent bump in performance. La Pavoni seems to make very high quality systems that stand the test of time and that are very bare bones, and I love that. I guess my only complaint would be that it seems that all their lever machines use a 51mm portafilter rather than a 54 or 58. I dunno if that's a huge deal other than looking for accessories, but I suppose that's a tradeoff for having such a compact system. I'm also very interested in making steamed milk on the system, so having a good steam wand would be a major bonus.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SlinkyMink posted:

Accidentally posted this as it's own thread because I'm a tired moron, so here's a second attempt.

So, I just found out about the La Pavoni line of manual lever espresso makers and I think I'm finally gonna pull the trigger on espresso brewing and espresso bean roasting. You all talked me into hand grinding espresso on what will almost definitely be a 1Zpresso JX Pro S (since it would only be like 8-16 grams of beans at a time which is a very different ballgame from when I used to hand grind almost 45g of beans for pourover/french press) which would save me a ton of money and counter space. Combined with a lever espresso machine, this is gonna not only be the height of true coffee making (in my mind), but will also save so much space and teach me really how to finally attack my Everest (espresso) head on. I'm very hard headed and am totally ok with spending a ton of time dialing all this in, so no need to warn me about that.

Having said this, have any of you all had any experience with La Pavoni's lever machines or other home lever machines that maybe perform better? I would like to spend no more than about $1k on the machine, if possible, but would be willing to spend a bit more for higher quality or a decent bump in performance. La Pavoni seems to make very high quality systems that stand the test of time and that are very bare bones, and I love that. I guess my only complaint would be that it seems that all their lever machines use a 51mm portafilter rather than a 54 or 58. I dunno if that's a huge deal other than looking for accessories, but I suppose that's a tradeoff for having such a compact system. I'm also very interested in making steamed milk on the system, so having a good steam wand would be a major bonus.

I can’t speak to how good it is, but flair makes a 58mm

https://flairespresso.com/flair-58-first-look/

https://youtube.com/watch?v=3X84AYoNEQw&si=hyxjzdU7v9HopxiK

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

I definitely looked into the Flair for a while, but it doesn't have a steam wand and seems a bit...odd to me. Like the heating element and process has some weird quirks compared to a traditional boiler. I would be open to the idea of the Flair still, but I also like the look of the workflow of a more traditional espresso machine like the La Pavoni.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SlinkyMink posted:

I definitely looked into the Flair for a while, but it doesn't have a steam wand and seems a bit...odd to me. Like the heating element and process has some weird quirks compared to a traditional boiler. I would be open to the idea of the Flair still, but I also like the look of the workflow of a more traditional espresso machine like the La Pavoni.

The La Pavoni is the odd one out here rather than the flair. Modern Manual & lever espresso machines don’t typically have boilers (and therefore won’t have steam wands). You supply the hot water (typically boiled in a kettle).

The heating element on the flair 58 is there to preheat the brewhead. On units without the preheater, you need to heat extra water and run it through with no coffee to get it up to temp.

You can get a very nice manual or auto espresso machine with a budget of $1k with a pretty small footprint.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
https://www.odysseyespresso.com/

The Argos lever machine is pretty cool if it ever ships. Haven't bothered looking for reviews or more details since I bought a robot earlier this year, but it seemed very cool and it has a steam wand.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

The La Pavoni is the odd one out here rather than the flair. Modern Manual & lever espresso machines don’t typically have boilers (and therefore won’t have steam wands). You supply the hot water (typically boiled in a kettle).

The heating element on the flair 58 is there to preheat the brewhead. On units without the preheater, you need to heat extra water and run it through with no coffee to get it up to temp.

You can get a very nice manual or auto espresso machine with a budget of $1k with a pretty small footprint.

Fair enough. It just looks like a bit more of a tedious workflow. I like the idea of having the whole system in one compact place while still allowing for some control over the variables. I do have a nice kettle and have seriously debated going full manual, but space for me is one of the most important facets to owning an espresso maker and having the boiler, maker, and steam wand all in a nice, compact build that still allows for a lot of personality is a really big draw.

MetaJew posted:

https://www.odysseyespresso.com/

The Argos lever machine is pretty cool if it ever ships. Haven't bothered looking for reviews or more details since I bought a robot earlier this year, but it seemed very cool and it has a steam wand.

That's a pretty clean looking design and definitely looks similar to the La Pavoni. I don't know much about that company, though. I really like how long La Pavoni has been around and they seem like they make some serious machines at a reasonable price. How do you like the Robot?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SlinkyMink posted:

Fair enough. It just looks like a bit more of a tedious workflow. I like the idea of having the whole system in one compact place while still allowing for some control over the variables. I do have a nice kettle and have seriously debated going full manual, but space for me is one of the most important facets to owning an espresso maker and having the boiler, maker, and steam wand all in a nice, compact build that still allows for a lot of personality is a really big draw.

That's a pretty clean looking design and definitely looks similar to the La Pavoni. I don't know much about that company, though. I really like how long La Pavoni has been around and they seem like they make some serious machines at a reasonable price. How do you like the Robot?

The La Pavoni isn’t exactly small (unless you’re looking at a specific small model I didn’t see.

https://www.myespressoshop.com/products/la-pavoni-europiccola-manual-espresso-machine-chrome-epc-8

7.5” x 10.25” x 13”

Vs

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/lelit-victoria-espresso-machine (Lelit makes great machines in general, don’t have a specific rec as I’ve never used this one just showing you what’s out there)

9” x 10.5” x 15”

Even the Silva, which is a classic, absolutely excellent option isn’t really much bigger than the La Pavoni. The Silva is super popular, frequently nodded to add additional control, and can make fantastic espresso.

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/staff-picks/rancilio-silvia-espresso-machine

9.5” x 11” x 13.5”

You absolutely have non-lever options at that size and price range, and if space saving is your goal you can do better for sure. With all the accessories and workflow fiddling that goes into a manual or lever machine it doesn’t sound like that’s actually what you’re looking for.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

What about the Profitec Go? Compact little machine with lots of features for just under 1k.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

it dont matter posted:

What about the Profitec Go? Compact little machine with lots of features for just under 1k.

I actually had looked at this one before and really liked the look, but I'm still really drawn to the idea of a lever machine. The La Pavoni has so many parts available and it's super straightforward to maintain. Not having to worry about shrouds, pumps, or other electrical parts beyond the boiler is really appealing.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
I spent 400 USD on a technivorm, read through this whole thread, learned how to grind my own beans, became overbearing about coffee and thought I finally found what I liked. My wife then blew my mind falling in love with a 20 USD piece of flimsy stainless steel and some fine ground filter kaapi south Indian style mix of 80 percent coffee and 20 percent chicory that was pennies at the grocer she goes to. Now we just make that every morning and I feel dumb.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Ptolemaeus posted:

I spent 400 USD on a technivorm, read through this whole thread, learned how to grind my own beans, became overbearing about coffee and thought I finally found what I liked. My wife then blew my mind falling in love with a 20 USD piece of flimsy stainless steel and some fine ground filter kaapi south Indian style mix of 80 percent coffee and 20 percent chicory that was pennies at the grocer she goes to. Now we just make that every morning and I feel dumb.

I'll offer you $50 for the 'vorm.

RE: Flair58

I went to a coffee roaster's 16 anniversary event and they were busting out a bunch of machines for espresso.
I got to talking with the owner and he loving hates the Flair. It pours ok shots but the company has left early-adopters in the lurch whenever they come up with a design update and it's a finicky workflow.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'll offer you $50 for the 'vorm.

RE: Flair58

I went to a coffee roaster's 16 anniversary event and they were busting out a bunch of machines for espresso.
I got to talking with the owner and he loving hates the Flair. It pours ok shots but the company has left early-adopters in the lurch whenever they come up with a design update and it's a finicky workflow.

I had the same experience at the local shop - owner went all in on a 58 and royal grinder, despised the workflow.

I'd still recommend it for the right user, but it's definitely different if all you're used to is traditional espresso machines.

Also a manual machine is the cheapest way to pressure profile and I think that makes a really big difference (read: tiny but this is espresso sooooo)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Only way Flair is a café machine is if they make the slow workflow part of the "experience" and charge enough to either hire more baristas or to create scarcity / luxury levels of clientele. I enjoy the ritual, but my local café already runs slow if there's a crowd so while I love it at home I'm not surprised coffee shops haven't embraced it.

Pressure surfing sure is fun, and a Flair is a great option for the home.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

Yeah, I mean, the Flair IS a cool machine and one that I would consider, but I just don't want to go that far for multiple shots a day and still not have a milk frother. The La Pavoni is such a cool in between and being able to actually pull your own shot has been something I've been very interested in for a long time in a machine. Being able to control the temp on the brew head seems much less finicky when you can just pump the poo poo to temp rather than pour and soak and then rush to keep the temp on a full manual. Plus, it looks really sick on a kitchen counter.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

As long as we're talking about espresso machines, I've started having an issue with mine: the heating element won't shut off when it's supposed to anymore. I don't think it will shut off unless I turn off the machine. I can hear the "click" sound the machine usually makes when it normally is supposed to turn off (around 1.4 bar boiler pressure), but the light indicating the heating element is on stays on and I can still hear the water heating up. And the pressure keeps rising-- it will go until the emergency release valve opens if I let it do so (I don't). Does anybody here know if it's more likely to be a wiring issue or a bad pressurestat?

edit: I should note I did some other long-ovedue maintenance recently: I gave the machine a good descale, replaced the portafilter gasket and shower screen, and got a bottomless portafilter while I was at it. None of that should have caused or contributed to this recent issue as far as I'm aware.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 20, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ptolemaeus posted:

cant blame her, that poo poo rocks

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

BrianBoitano posted:

Only way Flair is a café machine is if they make the slow workflow part of the "experience" and charge enough to either hire more baristas or to create scarcity / luxury levels of clientele. I enjoy the ritual, but my local café already runs slow if there's a crowd so while I love it at home I'm not surprised coffee shops haven't embraced it.

Pressure surfing sure is fun, and a Flair is a great option for the home.

It's not a cafe, it's a roaster. They have it to product test using a few different machines. Fair point though.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Meaty Ore posted:

As long as we're talking about espresso machines, I've started having an issue with mine: the heating element won't shut off when it's supposed to anymore. I don't think it will shut off unless I turn off the machine. I can hear the "click" sound the machine usually makes when it normally is supposed to turn off (around 1.4 bar boiler pressure), but the light indicating the heating element is on stays on and I can still hear the water heating up. And the pressure keeps rising-- it will go until the emergency release valve opens if I let it do so (I don't). Does anybody here know if it's more likely to be a wiring issue or a bad pressurestat?

edit: I should note I did some other long-ovedue maintenance recently: I gave the machine a good descale, replaced the portafilter gasket and shower screen, and got a bottomless portafilter while I was at it. None of that should have caused or contributed to this recent issue as far as I'm aware.

If it’s been an extremely long time maybe your initial descale wasn’t enough?

It could be some kind of sensor failure. You should probably tell us what machine it is though.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If it’s been an extremely long time maybe your initial descale wasn’t enough?

It could be some kind of sensor failure. You should probably tell us what machine it is though.

The machine is a Brugnetti Simona Top, literally the machine in this Home Barista thread which I bought from him off Ebay years ago. It's an old machine manufactured in 1996, and I'm guessing it uses an electromechanical switch rather than a proper electronic sensor to tell the element to switch off.

As for the descale, I cycled water/citric acid through until the water coming out was clean and free of material (including from the steam wand), then flushed with more plain water. The machine operated properly all during the descale and then for a few weeks afterwards before the problem started.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 20, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Ptolemaeus posted:

Friend of mine has a $1300+ automatic machine, $350 flat burr grinder, and $100 NanoFoamer Pro on preorder and his wife only drinks cold brewed Costco french roast. :haw:

SlinkyMink posted:

Yeah, I mean, the Flair IS a cool machine and one that I would consider, but I just don't want to go that far for multiple shots a day and still not have a milk frother. The La Pavoni is such a cool in between and being able to actually pull your own shot has been something I've been very interested in for a long time in a machine. Being able to control the temp on the brew head seems much less finicky when you can just pump the poo poo to temp rather than pour and soak and then rush to keep the temp on a full manual. Plus, it looks really sick on a kitchen counter.

I won't yuck your yum, but this is honestly the first time I've heard of a La Pavoni - it doesn't seem very popular in espresso nerd communities? Any reason why?

I hope you love yours.

Edit: I'm guessing for most espresso nerds, dropping $800-$1500 on a manual lever pump machine just doesn't make sense for them when they can get a Profitec, Breville, or Rancilio that would be less finicky and easier to churn out a few shots in the morning. I've often thought about getting a lever machine, myself, but something cheaper like a Flair.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 20, 2023

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

Corb3t posted:

Friend of mine has a $1300+ automatic machine, $350 flat burr grinder, and $100 NanoFoamer Pro on preorder and his wife only drinks cold brewed Costco french roast. :haw:

I won't yuck your yum, but this is honestly the first time I've heard of a La Pavoni - it doesn't seem very popular in espresso nerd communities? Any reason why?

I hope you love yours.

Edit: I'm guessing for most espresso nerds, dropping $800-$1500 on a manual lever pump machine just doesn't make sense for them when they can get a Profitec, Breville, or Rancilio that would be less finicky and easier to churn out a few shots in the morning. I've often thought about getting a lever machine, myself, but something cheaper like a Flair.

Nah, I definitely appreciate the counter points, hence why I'm here! I've not heard of them before, but reading online, it seems to have a pretty cult following with a huge aftermarket scene, as well. They've been making the same machine with minor iterations since the 70s which is incredibly cool to me and seems like they've held up well because of it. I've been watching reviews and reading about them and seeing people who have bought them and refurbished them second hand with little push back and great results. Hell, I think Hoffman made a video with a 20+ year old machine that seemed to make a really clean cup and that just furthered my interest. Minimal moving parts, pumps, and things to go bad is a huge plus for me and the learning curve is something I'd embrace. I was on the Gaggia Classic train for years, but this thing is basically everything I've been looking for in a machine, so we'll see. I'm mostly sold, but am gonna do a bit more research today to finalize my thoughts. I'll definitely be reporting back if I pull the trigger.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

La Pavoni looks gorgeous but seems like fine temperature control is out

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Thank god my wife will drink whatever slop I give her and doesn't have the desire or palate to look elsewhere. My coffee equipment investment is secure

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

SlinkyMink posted:

Nah, I definitely appreciate the counter points, hence why I'm here! I've not heard of them before, but reading online, it seems to have a pretty cult following with a huge aftermarket scene, as well. They've been making the same machine with minor iterations since the 70s which is incredibly cool to me and seems like they've held up well because of it. I've been watching reviews and reading about them and seeing people who have bought them and refurbished them second hand with little push back and great results. Hell, I think Hoffman made a video with a 20+ year old machine that seemed to make a really clean cup and that just furthered my interest. Minimal moving parts, pumps, and things to go bad is a huge plus for me and the learning curve is something I'd embrace. I was on the Gaggia Classic train for years, but this thing is basically everything I've been looking for in a machine, so we'll see. I'm mostly sold, but am gonna do a bit more research today to finalize my thoughts. I'll definitely be reporting back if I pull the trigger.

To piggy back on this, the gaggia classic pro evo https://www.gaggia-na.com/products/gaggia-classic-pro just got released and includes a few of the "need to have" mods that the community used to say were mandatory. They improved materials on the grouphead, changed out the pressure to 9bar and a few other changes to the classic pro.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I'm beginning my espresso adventure but I'm pretty pleased with the bambino plus. You can find them at discount off the remanufactured site. I'll echo that if you want a better taste and experience, then your money is best served splurging on grinder and not the espresso maker.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I’m very fortunate with my wife, she loves pu-erh tea and indulged completely me when I was way down that rabbit hole, and she really loves specialty light roast coffee. the only obstacle we faced early on was that I prefer ethiopian/kenyan/rwandan coffee, and she prefer latin-american, but we eventually managed to bridge that easily with Wendelboe’s subscription.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cannon_Fodder posted:

To piggy back on this, the gaggia classic pro evo https://www.gaggia-na.com/products/gaggia-classic-pro just got released and includes a few of the "need to have" mods that the community used to say were mandatory. They improved materials on the grouphead, changed out the pressure to 9bar and a few other changes to the classic pro.

Still no PID, otherwise looks like some really nice upgrades. I'll wait for the Gaggia Classic 2 or whatever it ends up being.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Is it 9 bar? The website says 15. Lol

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Welp, then they walked that back.

https://youtu.be/iZs6Ehvztz0?si=iEBlBDSqrXmv8nZi

And a couple other reviews cover it as 9bar

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 21, 2023

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think that's just what the pump itself is capable of, not what they're trying to achieve during extraction.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Nearly every machine on the home market (in NA) uses a 15 bar pump from Ulka. Some regulate that down a bit but most do not.

The new coating in the boiler (if it works as intended) will be a welcome change. Those things scale up if you even look at them wrong.

bizwank fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 22, 2023

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

I appreciate all the input and in a moment of drunken weakness, I pulled the trigger on the La Pavoni Pro. If nothing else, it'll be a good way to share my experiences here since it seems like a fairly obscure machine, but I'm very excited. I'm gonna start with some store bought beans until I can dial in a home roast profile of my own, so at least I won't have that variable.

Guess the next order is getting my 1Zpresso shipped. At least I didn't get any resistance from my wife. She's actually excited despite the costs.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:donotsever:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I mostly drink pourovers and mokapots, but recently I've really been enjoying classic macchiatos. What do you guys think of the Breville Bambino Plus? I like the idea of an automatic milk steamer, but not too into the 54mm portafilter as if I *were* to upgrade, nothing would be compatible.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I had one for a few years and liked it, it was convenient. Most accessories are available in 54mm. The price seems to have gone up recently though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

obi_ant posted:

I mostly drink pourovers and mokapots, but recently I've really been enjoying classic macchiatos. What do you guys think of the Breville Bambino Plus? I like the idea of an automatic milk steamer, but not too into the 54mm portafilter as if I *were* to upgrade, nothing would be compatible.

I don’t understand this argument anymore. Sure, money is money, but what accessories would you have to buy if you went to 58mm?

Bottomless PF, tamper, leveler, dosing ring…that’s all I can think of.

I used the same argument against myself and breville’s 54mm products, but it’s not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

nwin posted:

I don’t understand this argument anymore. Sure, money is money, but what accessories would you have to buy if you went to 58mm?

Bottomless PF, tamper, leveler, dosing ring…that’s all I can think of.

I used the same argument against myself and breville’s 54mm products, but it’s not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, you just said it. I’m not trying to buy all the things again if I upgrade. My thought is, I could just buy a machine which uses regular parts and if I upgrade from that, I wouldn’t need to buy new parts.