Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Someday I want to do a battle that utilizes the underwater rules, mechs and submarines everywhere.

Just kidding, the underwater rules seem miserable. I still very much appreciate their existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
When there's an entire table for specific ranges of weapons while underwater, you know that whole ruleset is BS and only used when someone clinically insane wants to design a scenario around it

Same for 'Mechs in space

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ah, Total Warfare.

I got rid of my older hard copy of TW recently because there's just been so much errata in these past 15+ years that it's just not trustworthy anymore as a rules source for those edge cases where TW might even come in handy

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

FrostyPox posted:

Someday I want to do a battle that utilizes the underwater rules, mechs and submarines everywhere.

Just kidding, the underwater rules seem miserable. I still very much appreciate their existence.
There's a scenario in MegaMek that has a couple of submarines and a bunch of surface units. It's one of those ones where some absolute fool decided to do a 10X10 mapsheets fight with multiple companies a side and threw in a couple dozen hovercraft for the lols. Just pure madness to try play it, you're moving for multiple turns before you can even see the enemy.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Question on C3 networks and Alpha Strike: do c3 networks apply their bonus for indirect fire?

I’m using a sprint scout helo to spot for 2x LRM launchers (3055 upgrade), but I’ve got the points to spare to add a C3M unit as well (a Turhan Urban Combat Vehicle) and was wondering about that interaction.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Icon Of Sin posted:

Question on C3 networks and Alpha Strike: do c3 networks apply their bonus for indirect fire?

I’m using a sprint scout helo to spot for 2x LRM launchers (3055 upgrade), but I’ve got the points to spare to add a C3M unit as well (a Turhan Urban Combat Vehicle) and was wondering about that interaction.

I’m not an AS player so take this with a grain of salt: they do not.
However, the TAG on that C3M *does* benefit from C3, if you’re okay with letting the Turhan spot.

(Classic rules) Remember that TAG doesn’t count as a weapon for the “spotter fired” penalty.

Now the next step is getting Semi-Guided LRM alternate munitions into Alpha Strike…

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Either way, I’ve got a Turhan painted that I’m satisfied with :)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Nice work on the panel lining.

I am doing a teaching game for a friend who just picked up the AGOAC box today, and painted a few AGOIC in non-specific/canon Davion/Kurita inspired livery to a quick "get em on the table" standard (crossposted from the GBS btech thread)

CGL really knocked it out of the park with the minis support for this game. Assembled out of the box and while these won't win any awards, I didn't spend more than 60-90 minutes total on them with the slapchop method and they're a decent tabletop standard; a lot of credit going to the design breaking up the hulls with interesting greebles and panel lines to catch detail with speed painting techniques.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Nice work on the panel lining.

I am doing a teaching game for a friend who just picked up the AGOAC box today, and painted a few AGOIC in non-specific/canon Davion/Kurita inspired livery to a quick "get em on the table" standard (crossposted from the GBS btech thread)

CGL really knocked it out of the park with the minis support for this game. Assembled out of the box and while these won't win any awards, I didn't spend more than 60-90 minutes total on them with the slapchop method and they're a decent tabletop standard; a lot of credit going to the design breaking up the hulls with interesting greebles and panel lines to catch detail with speed painting techniques.

These look great: I love the Legions of Vega and also used speedpaints for mine. I haven't bothered with the underpainting, though, just prime them white and slather them up.

I think CGL really nailed onboarding and ease-of-entry with their Battletech relaunch. The AGOAC box is quite literally 2 full-sized forces and like 99% of the complete rules to use what's in the box for about $50, which is a good deal for a board game and an absurd value for a minis game.

The mechs look sweet, they come preassembled, and they're super easy to paint to a decent standard now that Speedpaints and Constrasts are out there. The rules in the boxed booklets (and the BMM) are also really well laid out, both for learning the game and as a reference tool. It's kind of amazing that a game as seemingly clunky as Battletech has such a good new player experience these days and I think other game producers could take notice.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Learning game was fun, though he wanted the Kurita lance of more complimentary niche-focus mechs instead of the Davion generalist all-arounders I wanted to steer him towards and it went a little lopsided.

Highlight was probably a kick from 1 elevation difference where my Thunderbolt bashed its foot clean through his Wolverine's side torso and cooked off its SRM ammo. :black101:

when we seek to stab the backs, we must show caution lest we expose our own

Posted about it on FB and an old military buddy mis-identified the Cat as a Mad Cat, and now I'm kind of wanting to paint and play my unloved clan mechs and lean into being Furry Mongol Opfor. Looking into what kind of stars to build I kind of have become enamored with the Uller/Kit Fox A. I just think it's neat.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 20, 2023

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I'm going to be joining a campaign at my local FLGS, and just realized I don't actually have a Griffin. I'm not keen on buying a whole box for just one mech; anyone have a spare they'd be up for trading for a stormcrow or something?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

LaSquida posted:

I'm going to be joining a campaign at my local FLGS, and just realized I don't actually have a Griffin. I'm not keen on buying a whole box for just one mech; anyone have a spare they'd be up for trading for a stormcrow or something?

Get a metal Super Griffin, that’s a pretty sweet mini

…I want one, anyway

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

a cyborg mug posted:

Get a metal Super Griffin, that’s a pretty sweet mini

…I want one, anyway

That certainly is, but after too much heartbreak involving superglue and Warmachine minis, I'm trying to avoid metal.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

LaSquida posted:

You also get mapsheets and another mech.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
If you can get the pre-2022 version of the beginner box, it'll likely be not much more than trying to find an opened single mini anyways

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You can also get a Griffin in the Kell Hounds pack, which has four real solid choices in it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Edit-- actually I don't know the coolness level of posting about 3d printing battletech

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

Edit-- actually I don't know the coolness level of posting about 3d printing battletech

i've posted about it regularly and only buy the books, and otherwise play exclusively with 3d printed models and terrain

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
In that case I think I have a spare printed Griffin somewhere I could probably pass along

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Count Thrashula posted:

In that case I think I have a spare printed Griffin somewhere I could probably pass along

Oh, hey! Please toss me a PM.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I definitely have a spare Griffin that is painted and am happy to pass along if the honourable count's turns out to be a mythical beast.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Fearless posted:

I definitely have a spare Griffin that is painted and am happy to pass along if the honourable count's turns out to be a mythical beast.

Can't find the one I thought I printed out, so go for it!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Fearless posted:

Please drop me a PM!

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I'm working on painting some Spirit Cats (AP Dungeon Gray Basecoat, with sections of white), and I have to say I'm really enjoying painting them the more asymmetrical the white paint is. Half of a shoulder here, the opposite arm over there, a full leg and a half leg. All the minis have a similarity yet stand out, and it gets less boring than painting the same job over and over per mini.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I really dig my 3150s Nova Cats for the same reason. You can do pretty much whatever you want with them, and the asymmetric white paint winds up tying them all together.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I thought 3150s Nova Cats looked more like this

????

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nah, they're back, by decree of the ilKhan Vikaterina Steiner-Davion-Wolf.

They're basically just the Spirit Cats, the remnants of Clan Cloud Cobra's Xi Galaxy, and the non-combattant survivors of the Draconis Combine's purge.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
How the hell did Cloud Cobras end up in the - uh, the FWL, I assume?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

General Battuta posted:

How the hell did Cloud Cobras end up in the - uh, the FWL, I assume?

He's exxaggerating slightly, the Nova Cats took some Cloud Cobras as bondsmen and they eventually spread their cloister ideas to a Nova Cat galaxy, along with their crazy paint jobs.

Technically Xi Galaxy never went to the Republic until the Blackout, so they would've been unlikely to survive the Nova Cat Genocide by the Combine. But hey, there's a few Nova Cats who somehow made their way to the Clan Protectorate, so anyone can pretend they're from Xi Galaxy.

Spirit Cats currently consist of

Shiva Keshik
Purifier Cluster
Omicron (the writers of FM3145 switched them to Sea Fox at the last minute, so f*ck that, they're Omicron)
Kara's Scorchers (Special Supernova Binary)
1st Nova Cat Provisionals Cluster

They also have warriors in command positions of the following clusters
1st Protectorate Guardians
2nd Protectorate Guardians

So there's quite a bit of Spirit Cats running 'round.

PopTartNinja posted:

I really dig my 3150s Nova Cats for the same reason. You can do pretty much whatever you want with them, and the asymmetric white paint winds up tying them all together.

Saving this pic for future inspiration.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That cockpit glass. Goddamn that looks good.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I did a "how to" post on my cockpit glass technique a few pages back. It's a pretty straightforward technique, I personally find it easier than the more common jeweled methods.

Edit: The sky color also doesn't need to be blue :ssh:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 22, 2023

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I bought a Clan Invasion box and it just straight up did not have a Timber Wolf in it :( just an empty pocket for it in the plastic. I'm so bummed, it's the most important mech to me! I contacted customer support, hopefully they can help me so I don't have to bother my LGS

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CGL is usually pretty good about make-goods on that kind of thing.

If you're still getting a runaround after the KS ships, let me know and you can have mine. I was just going to trade away the thing anyway.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Oliver finally gotten myself motivated to do something about all the grey plastic in my cabinet. Got about 50 basecoats on today. Now I just have to keep the momentum and not leave them like this for a year.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Explodingdice posted:

Now I just have to keep the momentum and not leave them like this for a year.

Pick out one that you really think looks fun to paint and put it on your desktop right above your keyboard.

Don't wait to paint it last as a treat, paint it first because it's the one that excites you the most.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
You say that but I have absolutely BUTCHERED my Black Knight. :smith:

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Defiance Industries posted:

CGL is usually pretty good about make-goods on that kind of thing.

If you're still getting a runaround after the KS ships, let me know and you can have mine. I was just going to trade away the thing anyway.

I appreciate it - I'm sure they'll make it right. Just a bummer, I wanted to play with it!*

*put it on my desk and look at it

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

LaSquida posted:

Post pics, maybe we can help you salvage it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

LaSquida posted:

The paint comes off well with a variety of techniques.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

How is the catalyst pack of paints? I ran out of black and white yesterday and still have a ton of mechs to get a basecoat on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Explodingdice posted:

How is the catalyst pack of paints? I ran out of black and white yesterday and still have a ton of mechs to get a basecoat on.

I have not specifically gotten that pack but unless I'm mistaken its Army Painter standard and speed paints and those are good. That's what I used on the guys I posted a couple days ago.