Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Nursing textbooks literally teach "cultural differences about pain." They claim black people think we have more pain than we actually have because ??? And Hispanic people think pain is a test from God. Ultimate outcome is to ignore pain from both groups.

White people aren't mentioned at all because they're the baseline for medical treatment

theres also mention of religious differences between skin colors and a bunch of other crazy poo poo that is such a hosed up chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

But that Bloomberg chart said China was about to start hurtling downward forever starting the day it was posted! It cited Bloomberg and everything!

Anyway, on an unrelated note, I am so abso-loving-lutely glad my wife and I built up our courage and bought a house in 2018, before everything really just became an incomprehensible mess. Even got to renegotiate our interest rate mid pandemic when all the banks and real estate companies panicked. It's like 3% now (we will never be able to move lol).

I had a friend who was sitting on a freak windfall (tech place he worked as a higher level QA guy got bought as he was quitting, and all his shares boosted and cashed out for enough to buy a modest house flat out in 2018). I tried to convince him to use it for a house, but he just lived on it for years instead and partied, and now it's basically gone and he's freaking out because he lost his most recent job and his rent went way up. He could be sitting in a place he owned, full stop, with no mortgage, funding his life with the part time work of his choosing, and instead he's being crushed with stress. Makes me so sad.

This is all to say that the fact that my mortgage won't increase like rent would is a huge reason I'm not pulling all my hair and skin off every day. Any dumbass can see that everything is precarious and broken out there, and I really, truly feel for the people suddenly finding out that the cracks are growing wide enough to swallow them into ground they thought was stable.

hell yeah :hfive: it took me a terrible slumlord and terrible tenant neighbors to push me away from renting. and the timing might have been good since that apartment is under new management now and gone are included utilities on top of price going up 15%.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Yes, people have been pointing out such biases in official training and education resources since at least the 90s. In official peer reviewed studies. Apparently it hasn't changed any of the textbooks yet. Hopefully it isn't practiced on the ground anymore regardless of the books, but this is America.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1704495957545484525#m

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Can't wait to hear how it's all her fault and jokes like "What's the matter, too stupid to know that coffee is supposed to be hot? Hyuk hyuk".

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

anonumos posted:

Yes, people have been pointing out such biases in official training and education resources since at least the 90s. In official peer reviewed studies. Apparently it hasn't changed any of the textbooks yet. Hopefully it isn't practiced on the ground anymore regardless of the books, but this is America.

Zodium posted:

it is true everywhere because the system is wholly integrated and interconnected now. for a long time institutions like education, or the military, were still significantly characterized by their historical origins in the feudal era and existed as quasi-independent systems, but since the 70's and especially 90's have been completely absorbed into Capital as a system, with the high bourgeoisie at the core. for example, since the funding process is simply not sensitive to methodological critique, it has proven almost impossible to make substantive progress through struggle within the system on the replicability crisis in the behavioral and medical sciences, because the methods that produced the crisis are the methods that produce results which serve the purpose of the system: to reinforce and maintain the stability of Capital.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
75%- pause
25%- 25bps

Those are the odds

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

anonumos posted:

This is the tragedy of modern medicine and something I am continuously astonished hasn't been fixed yet. They've known about it for decades...
The medical community can't decide if noticing biological differences between groups is racist or not and when.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Mr Hootington posted:

75%- pause
25%- 25bps

Those are the odds

i believe if theres a bump its gonna happen in november or whatever so yea

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Look, in today's world, higher education is required to train the high-tech workers of tomorrow. We can't afford to fritter away time on ivory-tower navel-gazing frivolities like chemistry

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

The whole culture has become a Classic Rock station, strictly playing all the old hits.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

anonumos posted:

You will be pleased to learn that physicians neither remember or correctly practice most of what is in medical textbooks

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

eXXon posted:

The previous university I worked at went from 71% academic staff (full time equivalent) to 54% in 5 years, then stopped publishing those statistics.

the california UC system has had administrators outnumbering the academic staff since like 2015

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
France has so many strikes they included it twice.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
wasn't calling it "hot" coffee a severe understatement because that infamous case had the drink at a temp that gave the woman third-degree burns?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

yeah iirc it was hot enough to melt the t-1000.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

gradenko_2000 posted:

wasn't calling it "hot" coffee a severe understatement because that infamous case had the drink at a temp that gave the woman third-degree burns?

yes and the settlement iirc meant she couldnt talk about it so mcdonalds underplayed it by spreading the rumor that it was just regular hot coffee

it was hot enough to give her third degree burns and require skin grafts on her legs and i think other parts

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

anime was right posted:

yes and the settlement iirc meant she couldnt talk about it so mcdonalds underplayed it by spreading the rumor that it was just regular hot coffee

it was hot enough to give her third degree burns and require skin grafts on her legs and i think other parts

"fusing of the labia to the nylon fabric" OR something horrid like that iirc

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah it was crazy hot, near boiling

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

hope she didn't put the balm on

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

our torts textbook had pictures of the burns. it was not great for her

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

euphronius posted:

our torts textbook had pictures of the burns. it was not great for her

lmao going to a school with textbooks

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The documentary about the hot coffee incident and the way public discourse on the event was spun to promote tort reform is worth a watch

It's called... Hot Coffee

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

20 Blunts posted:

lmao going to a school with textbooks

this was a long time ago

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

The documentary about the hot coffee incident and the way public discourse on the event was spun to promote tort reform is worth a watch

It's called... Hot Coffee

actually that's the sex from grand theft auto

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
looking forward to all coffee being served cold now

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

webcams for christ posted:

don't worry guys Louis CK is on the case

I might have been beaten, but that's not Louis CK, it's some random right wing troll. He deleted his Twitter completely.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

RadiRoot posted:

looking forward to all coffee being served cold now

I like my coffee how I like my revenge…

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Centrist Committee posted:

I like my coffee how I like my revenge…

Served by overexploited workers?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Barristas are chuds

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

mcdonald's coffee was so hot it's what they actually used to melt the steel beams on 9/11, not thermite. it's why there was no evidence of it

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yes yes cancel chemistry, makes me more valuable

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

I might have been beaten, but that's not Louis CK, it's some random right wing troll. He deleted his Twitter completely.

it’s really weird how the early Elon Twitter bit of impersonating Nintendo of Austria to try to get him in legal trouble has morphed into whatever this is

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1704517317034406322

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Maed posted:

mcdonald's coffee was so hot it's what they actually used to melt the steel beams on 9/11, not thermite. it's why there was no evidence of it

Hot coffee can't melt human labia

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

this sounds exactly like bidenomics

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

where's the student debt forgiveness you dumb old gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what was inflation when trump was president