Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

New Baroness pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Monstaland posted:

New Baroness pretty good

yeah i liked it, kind of a weirder vibe with the spoken word bits

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Monstaland posted:

New Baroness pretty good

Yeah my favorite full album since Blue I think

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Every time I try to get into Baroness I immediately get turned off by the blown out production.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Baby metal and Dethklok were amazing but their opener has huge 'someone's nephew' vibes

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Killingyouguy! posted:

Baby metal and Dethklok were amazing but their opener has huge 'someone's nephew' vibes

iirc he's been in Chelsea Grin, Born of Osiris, All that Remains, etc. so yes

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry for the slight derail and quoting something from several pages back, but I only just found this thread -somehow- so I've got a little catching up to do! (Also, thanks for the Dethklok reminder - I do like me some real coffee!)

joylessdivision posted:

:hmmyes: the first metal album I listened to was Battle Hymns. I was like 10 lol. Pretty sure my uncle who let me borrow it got yelled at by my mom when she heard the lyrics to "Dark Avenger"

hahaha that's great! :D At least it wasn't a certain song from Kings of Metal that he was blasting - your mum probably would've killed him! My early forays into metal were more into the hair/glam side of things like Def Leppard, which is where I've mostly stayed, over the years. (Nobody believes me when I tell them IRL, honestly. My favourite band would probably be Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction - British self-parody typed content is always good IMO. Backseat Education and Prime Mover are good fun) I'm always looking for more good metal, though

Also, this. Always this:

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Other bands play! Manowar kill!

Speaking of Manowar, are there any other bands that pull off the same mixture of fantasy, cheese and general adrenalin-pumping "gently caress yeah"ness that Manowar does so well? (Apologies if this isn't the place to ask) Stuff like Fighting The World, Kings of Metal, Metal Warriors, Number 1, All Men Play on Ten even. Plus just about everything else they've done, for that matter. (I mean, there are a couple songs that delve a little too far into power metal noise for my tastes, but at least 90% of what they put out is grin-worthy IMO! :D )

I reckon my favourite song of theirs must be Carry On, since I love the sudden switch/fake-out (for lack of better words) when it goes from being a slow song to metal. Hilarious - I honestly want it played at my funeral. Even my non-metalhead friends can appreciate it

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 19, 2023

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

symbolic posted:

iirc he's been in Chelsea Grin, Born of Osiris, All that Remains, etc. so yes

lol

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Vargatron posted:

Every time I try to get into Baroness I immediately get turned off by the blown out production.

Yeah how have they not fixed this yet!!! It always sounds like I'm listening from down a hallway

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Snowy posted:

I saw Conan/Godflesh/Boris/Melvins Saturday at Desertfest nyc.

Went up to the rail for Godflesh and picked the right band for that, they were absolutely crushing. The sound was so powerful it felt like the drum machine was going to make my heart malfunction. They even played Dead Head, one of my all time favorites. Ran into a few friends later and we were all like “goddamn can you believe that?”

Conan was great, Boris is always wonderful, and I love Bullhead so Mevins were awesome even though Dale missed the tour due to emergency spine surgery.

I missed almost all the bands on other stages but caught a few minutes of Brant Bjork. Might just be me but it sounded so milquetoast it was like “how do you do, fellow stoners?”

Who played drums in place of Dale? That's a tough gig.

Never seen Godflesh, but if they are half as loud as JK Flesh that must have been good

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Who played drums in place of Dale? That's a tough gig.

Never seen Godflesh, but if they are half as loud as JK Flesh that must have been good

Coady Willis from Big Business/High on Fire and the Melvins’ double drummer days played drums. He did a great job.

And I’ve seen Godflesh several times and this time was easily was the most powerful they’ve sounded. Loved it. A friend told me Justing had cut a set short a few days earlier, complaining about the weak trebly sound. Who knows, maybe he insisted on beefing it up this time and it worked.

I wish I could have also seen JK Flesh and Orphx opening for Front Line Assembly the next night.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Okay Coady owns and is probably still a legitimate member of the band. Also double drummer Melvins should come back

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Okay Coady owns and is probably still a legitimate member of the band. Also double drummer Melvins should come back

Yeah seriously, I haven't seen them in a few years, I didn't realized they ditched the double drummer thing

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snowy posted:

And I’ve seen Godflesh several times and this time was easily was the most powerful they’ve sounded. Loved it. A friend told me Justing had cut a set short a few days earlier, complaining about the weak trebly sound. Who knows, maybe he insisted on beefing it up this time and it worked.

this was the Boston show, I was there. there were a bunch of technical difficulties (couldn't get any of the visuals to work for one) and the sound definitely wasn't as good as previous times I saw Godflesh, but I still thought it was a pretty good show and was surprised when he cut it short. I felt bad for him, he seemed really bummed out by it. Hope they come back around again before too long, the other times I've seen them have been incredible.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Vargatron posted:

First two albums are fine in this regard. I can’t understand why it’s been so bad since.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Celeste - With Idle Hands (doom)
Octo Crura - Your Ghost (Lacuna Coil-like)
Theocracy - Mosaic (power)
Blood Incantation - Obliquity of the Ecliptic (death)
Heathen Heretic - Conquer for a Worthless God (black)

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of Manowar, are there any other bands that pull off the same mixture of fantasy, cheese and general adrenalin-pumping "gently caress yeah"ness that Manowar does so well?

Visigoth
Eternal Champion

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Visigoth rules. They do that Amon Amarth thing where the lyrics are all over the top badass (to an 8th grader making up a backstory for their D&D character). Tons of fun live too.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I’m in the mood for new thrash/crust/grind that will kick my rear end. Anyone got some recs?

Edit: listens to Heavy Breathing by Black Breath. Again.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I’m in the mood for new thrash/crust/grind that will kick my rear end. Anyone got some recs?

Steel Bearing Hand’s first album is quite thrashy. The second is better and also very thrashy, but also death metal.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
The new Cognizant is extremely powerful grind:

https://nervealtar.bandcamp.com/album/inexorable-nature-of-adversity

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
wait did Tomb Mold also just come out with an EP?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

CornHolio posted:

they did not

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Thank you! Love you guys 😘

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

On a slightly different note I’m in the mood for new chaotic death/crust/maybe sludge that will kick my rear end. The punkier and shittier the better

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I've been enjoying some new thrash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_EtZZseYbw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kKTSjNnEGY&t=1257s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzP8z3cr-yY

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Snowy posted:

On a slightly different note I’m in the mood for new chaotic death/crust/maybe sludge that will kick my rear end. The punkier and shittier the better

I assume you know Saccage

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

spinning the new Tomb Mold and getting absolutely floored, they've outdone themselves by going full Atheist

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

CornHolio posted:

no i think they pressed their first ep to vinyl for the first time and/or remastered it or something

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hulk Krogan posted:

Visigoth rules. They do that Amon Amarth thing where the lyrics are all over the top badass (to an 8th grader making up a backstory for their D&D character). Tons of fun live too.

Excellent, thanks! :D Definitely something I'm in the mood for right now, for some reason - I'll check 'em out!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Lol I forgot that Eternal Champion has some Tits Out album covers.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Wachter posted:

I assume you know Saccage

Yeah and now I’m finally listening to Charogne, I never got around to checking it out. Thanks for the reminder

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

:stare: this is good

monochromagic
Jun 17, 2023

Weird to hear these guys sing in English and definitely more doomy than usual. Not sure I like it. Second song from their single is pretty good tho. https://youtu.be/XTWUnu4X9cI

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

They're my favorite

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Eternal Champion put your poo poo on streaming.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabiIT_9QjA

here's some cool slam

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

joylessdivision posted:

:hmmyes: the first metal album I listened to was Battle Hymns. I was like 10 lol. Pretty sure my uncle who let me borrow it got yelled at by my mom when she heard the lyrics to "Dark Avenger"

I looked this up and was about 2/3s of the way through and thought your mom was a huge fundy or something because it’s just generic fantasy stuff and then lol nope

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Cobra Commander posted:

Eternal Champion put your poo poo on streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

New Therion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6YCVSqHOgA

I've been a big Therion fan for a long time and I was not impressed by the last couple albums. This is very promising, though, and I'm looking forward to the next one a lot more now that I've heard it.