Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I enjoyed Harvestella at whatever discount I bought it at. Its definitely more of an JRPG with farming secondarily, but I enjoyed the corny story and the dungeons were generally pretty. Gameplay loop has you grow crops/raise animals/etc to make food, to be your primary healing method in the various dungeons. The fighting system is shallow but I kind of appreciated not having to think too hard.

Edit: added the game name to my post and realized that if you don't like the JRPG-y "Crystals are both good... and evil" you'll have a hard time liking Harvestella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Saxophone posted:

Harvestella is currently 50% off on steam.

It didn’t sound like a good 60 dollar game, but how do folks feel about it as a 30 dollar game?

I think it's still pretty pricy as a farming game when it's more of an adventure game. I've got RF3 to keep me busy (which also has a lot of fighting) until the holidays, so I'm going to wait and see if it drops in price a bit then.

Isn't Sandrock reaching 1.0 soon too?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

1.0 was delayed to november so they could continue to optimize the game (especially those load times...)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jyrraeth posted:

I enjoyed Harvestella at whatever discount I bought it at. Its definitely more of an JRPG with farming secondarily

Well thats enough to keep me away. I'm tired of dungeon crawling and fighting in my farm sims. I just wanna grow turnips in peace and quiet.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

anyone tried/have any thoughts about fae farm?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

someone awful. posted:

I played the demo and it is extremely cute. I liked how your basic tools don't take up pack space and are instead on a swappable button, I liked how you increase your maximum stamina by making furniture for your house, and I liked the frame story.

I'll probably end up grabbing it for Switch.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Anyone tried Wylde Flowers, Coral Island and/or Cozy Grove? I know WF's got a demo out, but :effort:

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

SexyBlindfold posted:

Anyone tried Wylde Flowers, Coral Island and/or Cozy Grove? I know WF's got a demo out, but :effort:

I tried Coral Island and quite liked it, though I haven't had a chance to check out the latest update yet. Review here:

Log082 posted:

If you want 3D Stardew, just play Coral Island.

I've been working my way through it, and while it's far from complete, it is a very good game. I was going to write up a full review when I finished the available content, but I'm close enough to the end I might as well give my impressions now.

First is that, mechanically, it is very much 3D Stardew. The details of farming, mining, etc will all feel very familiar. For me this was a good thing, but some people might be looking for more innovation, I dunno.

Next, the negatives: The game is still in EA, and while there's a good amount of content already, you will run into places where you can't progress any further until a future update. Most of what's in the game is very polished, but there are a few minor bits that need another pass. I've only had one crash, and one other bug where I got stuck until the day ended. That's still more than in Stardew, though.

My biggest issue after that is the controls. At first swing speed for your tools and in combat feels slow and clunky. This improves with tool quality, skill levels, and a ring you can find, and by the end of the early game it feels okay and by late game it's fast and feels great. I still think this is a poor design decision, though, because things feel worst right when you're starting and forming your impression of the game. Combat always feels a little clunky since you can't cancel out of a swing to dodge, but luckily it's easy enough that this doesn't matter, so I just ignore it and push through. It isn't like Stardew where you have to be at least halfway decent at the deeper levels. There's also a few tricks from Stardew in the controls that they didn't replicate, which feels weird when you hold down a button expecting to harvest or plant faster. I haven't found any tricks to speed up planting, but for harvesting at least you can use your scythe on anything, not just wheat and grass, and it'll harvest without damaging plants that give repeat fruit.

I'm also not a huge fan of the fishing minigame, which is surprisingly challenging before you skill up and buy higher quality gear, but it's not bad or anything. I just don't like it as much as others I've played.

The positives: I really like the island environment. I think I even prefer it to Stardew, if only a little bit. I'm not sure why, to be honest; something about the graphics or the setup just feel relaxing and fun to me.

I'm also a big fan of the characters. The designs are great, and the game manages to do a lot with (currently) relatively limited dialogue. There are more, both dateable and in general, than in Stardew and I think it contributes a lot to making the town feel alive.

As I said previously, most of the farming mechanics are basically copied from Stardew, so those feel great. Fishing is a bit mediocre, but they've added bug catching and diving as additional activities. Bug catching is fun (and profitable) to do as you run around on other tasks, and diving is essentially an entire additional part of the game. Clearing trash underwater (using the scythe) should probably feel repetitive, but I instead found it satisfying and rewarding.

There are also a ton of collectibles. I have almost 200 separate pieces dropped off at the museum, and the only category I've completed is bug catching, which is the smallest and easiest. It's not mandatory for success either, so if hunting down tons of artifacts and fossils isn't your thing that's okay. There's also the chance to buy those from the black market for money.

Finally, one thing I really like is that there are a lot of fast travel stations, and more open up with offerings to the goddess (the Community Center equivalent) past the initial offering that unlocks the system. it makes it easy to zip around the island and get tasks done quickly.

Overall I really enjoy the game and am looking forward to future updates with additional content.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SexyBlindfold posted:

Cozy Grove is very sweet in a dark way, but it is extremely grindy. I enjoyed playing it, but if I'd known then what I know now I wouldn't have bought it.

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

Just came to say that Palia is a great game and I’ve had a ton of fun with it and my new friends. Haven’t lived until you are shooting off fireworks and fishing in between steps during a 16 person cake making party!

Excited that RF3 remaster got released as well! Still need to finish RF5 though. Still need to check out Harvestella but too many games came out. Palia, Baldur’s Gate 3 and Starfield are eating away at my gaming time.

Great time to be alive if you are a chill gamer though!

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well thats enough to keep me away. I'm tired of dungeon crawling and fighting in my farm sims. I just wanna grow turnips in peace and quiet.

I would like to agree with the previous poster and say that I still love Palia, despite the bugs and issues, and it's a pretty good option for farming in peace (although it doesn't have turnips among its crop options). It has no real fighting (just bow hunting), and the closest thing to dungeon crawls are the temples, which only consist of platforming and simple puzzle solving with no enemies. They just released their second of four temples, and it's way better than the first one. :)

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

SexyBlindfold posted:

I really like Wylde Flowers. It has much more of a story behind what you're doing, why you're restoring a farm etc. The character animations are kinda off-putting at first, but I got used to them quickly.

Coral Island - I haven't played much and I really *want* to like it, but I didn't enjoy what I played of it so far. I find the movement weirdly slow and jarring. The town is really spread out, so it takes awhile to get to the general store or find people, and something about the animation just feels slow and off to me. That might just be me though, and I intend to go back to it at some point to try again.

Cozy Grove - fun for a couple of hours, then I was done with the grind.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

someone awful. posted:

I've been playing Fae Farm on the Switch since launch (just started my first winter) and it's got a lot of issues. Glitches and crashes to start with. Most notably the automatic tool/weapon switching in dungeons will swap your weapon out for a tool if you're fighting near a rock or ore.

The game only pauses if you press "+" on the Switch. Pulling up your backpack, going through your inventory to craft, etc. will NOT stop time. Even if you do pause time, area effects that harm your character unless you're protected by a potion WILL continue to harm you until you get wiped out.

The game doesn't explain (or is unclear) when it comes to some important things. After juggling my inventory in my backpack and storage shed for awhile and getting frustrated, I found out online that your storage sheds have infinite storage, you just keep moving stuff to one of them from your backpack. (You end up with four farms by the end of the game.)

I was also stuck in-game trying to grow a specific crop (for a story quest) and the game was not helpful in telling me what I needed to do.

I've also had quest completion notifications pop up hours after I've actually finished the quest.

NPCs all sound the same with the same repetitive dialogue. You can expect to hear the same thing from multiple characters in the same in-game day. I don't care about any of them thanks to this, so I haven't bothered to interact with them much beyond unlocking tools/areas.

You have to talk to NPCs multiple times to redeem a quest when you redeem a friendship quest/requested item quest for them. They also sound like you just gave them what they wanted when you agree to their request. You only have one in-game day to finish these quests.

There's a themed festival at the end of each month but aside from the mayor's request for the spring one, they don't matter and you can ignore them entirely.

Doesn't seem to matter if you actually care for your animals, they will give you cotton or eggs or whatever regardless. It also takes a long time in-game every day to care for them. You can breed them to get new ones with higher possible happiness levels which should mean they give you more goods, but this doesn't seem to always be the case.

Placing items is a pain because you have a strict limited radius around your character where you can place things.

There's a strict midnight bedtime, which will send you back to bed wherever you are. At least you don't lose anything in your inventory or any money.

Furniture placement in your home affecting your stats is a nice touch, with the caveats that only one piece of each item of furniture in each house will affect your stats. It's relatively easy to find the mats to make things that will increase your health and stamina, but mana-increasing items seem to be more late-game.

Hope you enjoy pausing and going through the almanac in-game to clear out "!" when you find a new furniture recipe, resource, critter, etc. Because it happens a LOT, especially at the start.

Multi-player is locked until you complete chapter one.

On the Switch, it seems you're locked to your Switch nickname as your character name. Maybe if you sign up for a Phoenix Labs account this is not the case? idk, I don't care enough to sign up for an account just for this because I'm not interested in multi-player.

It doesn't seem like you ever get a way to automate farming or taking care of animals beyond upgrading your watering can or an automatic feeding trough.

The automatic tool switching is nice, as is the option for "they/them" pronouns during character creation. The game generally looks nice and it's fun as hell to be able to freely jump around in one of these games.

Fishing is fine? I went with the easier option in the accessibility menu because I didn't want to bother learning another fishing minigame.

Best and easiest way to make money is to mine gems, polish them up and sell them. Makes everything else trivial in terms of earning money, so I haven't bothered much with other ways to make money.

Sorry for all the :words: but I'm frustrated after paying full price for this and wanted to warn other people. I would've been fine paying $20, but $60 was ridiculous.

tl;dr: It basically feels like the devs looked at other popular and successful games and just copied them without understanding what made them so enjoyable, leading to a pretty but soulless experience.

SilentChaz fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Sep 15, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

SexyBlindfold posted:

Wylde flowers is about half farming game and half story-based witchy fetch quest game. The demo will give you a very clear idea if its for you.

Coral Island is incredibly buggy. I've tried and returned it three times over the last year, every time the game has crashed on the first day before letting me save in a variety of ways and places. The top sticky on the steam discussion forum is titled "Freeze or crashing when opening Coral Island." It's been there every time I looked at the game. That they haven't fixed it yet, indicates to me that they've no interest in making their game, ya'know, playable. It's a shame, because, by most accounts, the game is fun if it runs for you.

Pallia is a free to play online MMO. It doesn't do the MMO part very well, but multiplayer works fine and the farming game aspects are more or less exactly what you'd want. It's incredibly shallow. Most people do everything there is to do in somewhere between 1 week and 1 month and then stop playing. On the other hand, it's free, so there's no reason not to play for as long as is fun, as long as you can avoid spending money in their cash shop.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Does anyone have any farming sims with minor survival elements they'd recommend? By which I mean actually growing stuff for food, maybe chopping wood for fire in the winter, and so on. I'm not really looking for anything hardcore about it, where you're always worried about starvation, but something different from the Harvest Moon "everything is profit" model. I booted up Stardew Valley again today and I was thinking that might be an interesting change.

Bonus points if it plays well on the Steam Deck.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bremen posted:

Does anyone have any farming sims with minor survival elements they'd recommend?
Don't Starve. :getin:

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Bremen posted:

Does anyone have any farming sims with minor survival elements they'd recommend? By which I mean actually growing stuff for food, maybe chopping wood for fire in the winter, and so on. I'm not really looking for anything hardcore about it, where you're always worried about starvation, but something different from the Harvest Moon "everything is profit" model. I booted up Stardew Valley again today and I was thinking that might be an interesting change.

A proper homesteading game is basically my dream. If you could slowly build up to producing on a level you could barter with your neighbours. Basically a more approachable unreal world.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Bremen posted:

Have you tried Medieval Dynasty? It's a survival/homesteading/farming/town management game in a medieval setting.

Runs pretty well with controller, but not sure about Steam Deck.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Bremen posted:

The game you want is Raft.

If that's too easy, check out the survival game thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3655873 I remember Haven and Hearth being a fairly gentle introduction to the genre, but it's been over a decade since I played it, so I'd recommend asking that thread first.

Edit: you might give Vintage Story a try. It's a minecraft mod that grew up into its own (off steam) game. You'll probably starve to death or get killed by something in the middle of the night the first time or two you play. But after that it's a pretty good light survival game. You don't have to farm, but it does make things easier. And you can freeze to death in winter, unless you go to the part of the world that's tropical and never snows. It's not a forever game, but you'll get a good 30+ hours of fun out of it probably.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Don't Starve. :getin:

Don't Starve heavily nerfed farming a few updates back. I can't really recommend it to anyone looking for a farming game at this point, although I've got hundreds of hours in it.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 15, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

LLSix posted:

The game you want is Raft.

If that's too easy, check out the survival game thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3655873 I remember Haven and Hearth being a fairly gentle introduction to the genre, but it's been over a decade since I played it, so I'd recommend asking that thread first.

Edit: you might give Vintage Story a try. It's a minecraft mod that grew up into its own (off steam) game. You'll probably starve to death or get killed by something in the middle of the night the first time or two you play. But after that it's a pretty good light survival game. You don't have to farm, but it does make things easier. And you can freeze to death in winter, unless you go to the part of the world that's tropical and never snows. It's not a forever game, but you'll get a good 30+ hours of fun out of it probably.

Don't Starve heavily nerfed farming a few updates back. I can't really recommend it to anyone looking for a farming game at this point, although I've got hundreds of hours in it.

definitely seconding Raft, it really scratched the perfect itch (minus one annoying boss fight) for exactly that type of game

Really wish there was another game that I could play coop with my wife in that genre :sigh: hopefully that forbidden skies game will make it there

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bremen posted:

You should have a look at Banished. It's more of a management game (plant food, break rocks, build houses, ...) but your little people have names and you can look into their houses and see if they're happy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I am still having a great time with Dreamlight Valley. It’s hella charming.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Thanks for all the replies, I was definitely looking more for a one person homesteading style game than town management though. Raft is an interesting answer, I tend to think of it as more a survival and exploration game but I guess I can see how it meets the requirements.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Hmmmmmm!

https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1702746938628612564?s=20

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lots and lots of DLC on the horizon!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Going to grab the Deluxe version because it includes flake tools right from the start.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Don't get me wrong I'm hella interested in what they are going to do but my expectations are set correctly.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
paradox's kings of dragon pass

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

paradox's kings of seasons pass

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Word on the street is that it's a civ like

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Going to grab the Deluxe version because it includes flake tools right from the start.

combine Wirt's Leg and a Tome of Town Portal for the secret cow tools

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Back to “homesteading but with survival,” it’s much more of a management game being a Rimworld-alike but that mix screams Clanfolk to me. It’s definitely only for specific folks, but it does hit both homestead and survival expertly.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Bremen posted:

Thanks for all the replies, I was definitely looking more for a one person homesteading style game than town management though. Raft is an interesting answer, I tend to think of it as more a survival and exploration game but I guess I can see how it meets the requirements.

Medieval Dynasty *has* town management, but you don't have to bother with it. If you want to set up a barn and do your own farming and trade your goods with the local town to buy the stuff you need, you can absolutely do that. I don't know that you can get to some of the end-game stuff without the kind of infrastructure a town needs, like, it becomes very clear why subsistence farming as a lifestyle is kind of meagre, but you can still hunt and plant and raise animals and turn your house into something nicer.

In theory, Wild West Dynasty might end up being more of what you want, but the reviews say it's just outright bad so far.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Happened upon this game the other day when it was brought up in Discord.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1681600/Cornucopia/

Early-access Stardew-like, has a 2.5D perspective that I don't think works super well for it (hard to see what you're aiming at when farming), but the main notable thing about it is the fact that they felt the need to showcase all 32 marriageable NPCs in the Steam description.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'll probably never play it, but i appreciate how many different old men are available to marry.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
wow, a kappa for the ladies and a kappa for the fellas. either way you float, you can get your shirikodama pulled, that is progressive.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Inadequately posted:

Early-access Stardew-like, has a 2.5D perspective that I don't think works super well for it (hard to see what you're aiming at when farming), but the main notable thing about it is the fact that they felt the need to showcase all 32 marriageable NPCs in the Steam description.

Wow, unavailable in my region. Haven't seen that error before.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Moonstone island just released. Anyone have a chance to play it yet and have an initial review?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1658150/Moonstone_Island/

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Inadequately posted:

I love that "Master a unique NPK compost system" is part of their steam store description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Talorat posted:

Moonstone island just released. Anyone have a chance to play it yet and have an initial review?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1658150/Moonstone_Island/

Interested in this as well.