Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gnoman posted:

Going by #297:

If a "25% enhancement" made it +5, that would mean it was a +4 sword before being enhanced with starmetal.

i think the message is just supposed to be that that its a +5 bonus on a d20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Gnoman posted:

Going by #297:

If a "25% enhancement" made it +5, that would mean it was a +4 sword before being enhanced with starmetal.

Pretty confident the smith says 25% becuse 5 / (1d)20 = 25/100.

Which isn't at all accurate to the way attack rolls work, but good enough for a joke.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

None of the established monsters mentioned so far are intelligent creatures.

I think kneestealers would be rated as genius in the monster manual.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

NihilCredo posted:

Pretty confident the smith says 25% becuse 5 / (1d)20 = 25/100.

Which isn't at all accurate to the way attack rolls work, but good enough for a joke.

It's only an estimation

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Randalor posted:

I'm torn between wanting to see Team Evil run the dungeon, and just having a timeskip from when they get to the final dungeon to them being incredibly battered and Xykon having to regrow from the phylarcy, while questioning where she got all the monsters from. Especially the (insert monster from 1st/2nd edition that never got carried forward).

Him regrowing from the phylactry would be a huge deal, since he thinks it's in his astral fortress and not around Redcloak's neck. Him discovering that deception is almost certainly not going to happen off panel.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Random Stranger posted:

I think kneestealers would be rated as genius in the monster manual.

Established. Kneestealers, and Blue Poets seem to be original. Disinchanters, Rust Monsters, and Froghemoths have animal level intelligence.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
I look forward to the blue poet being some unkillable nagging presence that will torment Xykon and/or Redcloak like a Greek chorus for the rest of the story

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Shaking lemur butt posted:

Kneestealers and Blue Poets sound like something Rich borrowed from Øyvind Thorsby

My interpretation of how Thorsby would explain these.
Proto-kneestealer females were attracted to tall males, so the males ended up kneecapping their rivals. This led to males protecting their knees, which in turn led to them stealing other knees as a stand-in for their own.

Blue poets are perpetually depressed and horny, so all they can spout are dirty limericks with sad endings.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Here was me assuming the blue poet just gave you epic-level syphilis

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
This is likely the wrong forum and I'd have to go digging in the GiantTIP forums for the answer I seek, but what *is* that monster in the first panel?

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

XkyRauh posted:

This is likely the wrong forum and I'd have to go digging in the GiantTIP forums for the answer I seek, but what *is* that monster in the first panel?

Someone wrote it out above, but I'm on phone and lazy.

it is a froghemoth. an actual d&d monster

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Llab posted:

Someone wrote it out above, but I'm on phone and lazy.

it is a froghemoth. an actual d&d monster

A real boring one, it turns out. No special characteristics outside of 360 vision (immunity to flanking). No special attacks, it just tries to grab you and eat you.

Which is fine, sometimes as a DM you really need a big pile of HP with no weird abilities to fill out your dungeon. But it means that unless Serini has given it some special boost, it might as well say "any caster in your party expends one (1) spell slot".

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

NihilCredo posted:

A real boring one, it turns out. No special characteristics outside of 360 vision (immunity to flanking). No special attacks, it just tries to grab you and eat you.

Which is fine, sometimes as a DM you really need a big pile of HP with no weird abilities to fill out your dungeon. But it means that unless Serini has given it some special boost, it might as well say "any caster in your party expends one (1) spell slot".

Given that all it's supposed to do is occupy your attention and encourage you to walk into moidalizin' range so you blunder into the real encounter, I'd say it's doing its job.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's a froghemoth in a room full of disenchanters and a paragon rust monster. It doesn't need to be anything more than a distraction.

e: f; b

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
But if Roy's sword is basically +5 because of its special crafting material, that's just another (few) step(s) up from getting +1 to hit for being masterwork, and a disenchanter can't remove craftsmanship-based bonuses, can it?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

SuperKlaus posted:

But if Roy's sword is basically +5 because of its special crafting material, that's just another (few) step(s) up from getting +1 to hit for being masterwork, and a disenchanter can't remove craftsmanship-based bonuses, can it?

No, but going from +5 to hit and damage to +1 to hit is not nothing. There are other benefits to a magical sword too, like it can overcome some damage resistances, or make it possible to even hit some monsters that aren't fun to lose.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The blacksmith in Azure City tried to explain it away in mundane terms so it's entirely possible it's a mundane +5 and can't be stripped.

His Belt of Giant Strength sure can be though.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I feel like Roy's sword won't be disenchanted because I'm not sure narratively what would it accomplish? We kinda already have a lot of moving parts.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I wonder if there's a relative of MitD somewhere in this dungeon.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
We know that Team Evil definitely have magic items, making them is one of the things Xykon used to fill up his time during the year they spent in Azure City. Sure, they're less susceptible than a lot of other high level parties because Xykon is still a lich, but they could definitely end up losing some

I am curious about when the Modron will decide their contract has been fulfilled, the language of it Redcloak's requirements is in this strip. Redcloak specifies searching the corridors in the chasm, which to me reads that the contract is fulfilled at the moment they've searched all of those corridors and does not include the dungeon behind the portal that appears after searching all those.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

They're also probably going to notice that the map the quinton is keeping overlaps with itself.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

I am curious about when the Modron will decide their contract has been fulfilled, the language of it Redcloak's requirements is in this strip. Redcloak specifies searching the corridors in the chasm, which to me reads that the contract is fulfilled at the moment they've searched all of those corridors and does not include the dungeon behind the portal that appears after searching all those.

That would be a convenient way to ensure that Team Evil makes it to the final dungeon but doesn't give them a way to cheat their way through the whole thing once they get there. Though I suppose it could also be done by Xykon just messing up the one condition at any point as well.

So maybe that's gonna be how it goes down.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

JuniperCake posted:

That would be a convenient way to ensure that Team Evil makes it to the final dungeon but doesn't give them a way to cheat their way through the whole thing once they get there. Though I suppose it could also be done by Xykon just messing up the one condition at any point as well.

That's true. I just checked and Redcloak explicitly doesn't tell it what they're looking for, so by finding the portal to the very definitely actual final dungeon, they definitely found Something, and being the ultimate level of Lawful, it'll gently caress off and Redcloak probably won't try to convince it not to since he doesn't want to risk The Plan.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JuniperCake posted:

Xykon breaking the deal intentionally to gently caress with Redcloak and then finding out immediately afterward would be perfectly in tone with the characters and strip.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I mean, getting past this initial bullshit and into the endgame is the entire purpose Redcloak summoned the modron for. It’s not some huge self-own if it fucks off immediately afterward; that was kind of the plan all along.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Xykon breaking the deal intentionally to gently caress with Redcloak and then finding out immediately afterward would be perfectly in tone with the characters and strip.

Nah, it'll be the modron announcing the end of the contract, Xykon saying they can't leave, he's breaking the contract out of spite, and then can't actually end a sentence in an even-lettered word before they all leave.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Then again chances are 50/50 that all of this backfires terribly on Redcloak, though he may not realise it immediately because hubris. I mean Xykon has no path to victory but Red has some possibilities to achieve his ultimate goal without crossing paths with Elan's destiny. Though if he dies too early then it's upon the gods to come to the conclusion that the Dark One should be given recognition, to stop the Snarl. This is going to be some interesting three years watching this develop!

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

The froghemoth's main claim to fame is less anything specific that it does and more that it was one of the physically largest and most distinctive-looking new monsters from the famous old AD&D module 'Expedition to the Barrier Peaks', which was set inside a crashed spaceship - and thus it evokes a similar sort of gonzo '70s-early '80s weirdness oldschool dungeon vibe as referencing any of the ridiculous traps from the Tomb of Horrors. It wanders around the waterways in the zoological gardens level and is pretty likely to start a nasty ambush when you're not really expecting it.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nenonen posted:

Then again chances are 50/50 that all of this backfires terribly on Redcloak, though he may not realise it immediately because hubris. I mean Xykon has no path to victory but Red has some possibilities to achieve his ultimate goal without crossing paths with Elan's destiny. Though if he dies too early then it's upon the gods to come to the conclusion that the Dark One should be given recognition, to stop the Snarl. This is going to be some interesting three years watching this develop!

Does Redcloak have a path to victory, though? I mean he could like, literally enact The Plan, I guess, but we've established that the gods can't undo the position gobllins were put into in a divine sense. And while the early reset thing went to demigod tiebreakers, I don't think the gods are gonna sit on their hands waiting for the table if the gate actually gets moved. They'll probably just immediately build a new world around the snarl. I kinda feel like at this point we know that The Plan can't possibly turn out how he wants it to and the question is whether he'll ever accept that.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Does Redcloak have a path to victory, though? I mean he could like, literally enact The Plan, I guess, but we've established that the gods can't undo the position gobllins were put into in a divine sense. And while the early reset thing went to demigod tiebreakers, I don't think the gods are gonna sit on their hands waiting for the table if the gate actually gets moved. They'll probably just immediately build a new world around the snarl. I kinda feel like at this point we know that The Plan can't possibly turn out how he wants it to and the question is whether he'll ever accept that.

I think Redcloak has to have an achievable path to victory in respect to being able to secure better conditions for the goblins. Otherwise him failing to achieve it because of his personal hang ups wouldn't have much of a sting.

But I think you're absolutely right, carrying out the plan as it is will not be it. Though there's still enough mysteries up in the air that we don't know what the actual solution needs to be. Especially if Redcloak runs out of 9th level spell slots and can't go with the Order's plan even if he wanted to. I have to imagine that wasted implosion on Durkon is gonna cost him at some point.

Xykon is a little trickier. But I guess he'd probably be satisfied with just ending existence out of spite by destroying the final gate. Once he figures out he's been played this whole time anyways.
It would be a pretty good way for him to get back at Redcloak since that ensures there's probably no time to save any of the goblin souls. And if he figures his phylactery is safe in the astral plane, then why not?

He'd do it just to see the look on Redcloak's face.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 20, 2023

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JuniperCake posted:

I think Redcloak has to have an achievable path to victory in respect to being able to secure better conditions for the goblins.
Oh, he can absolutely do that. But he can do it by gving up on "winning" against the order and the gods and working with at least one of them to improve the world. But there's no path where Redcloak beats the order and does what he wants and then wins. Unless you count, like, beating them and then deciding he wants to work with them.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, he does have a very tangible path forward; the gods need his cooperation to seal the gates properly, and he and the Dark One could extract a lot of concessions along the way.

and it would be entirely reasonable for him to be skeptical of this, and doubly so of Durkon telling him that The Plan cannot succeed, but his refusal to even consider the option (and, specifically, using the negotiation as an opportunity to attempt to assassinate the good faith envoy) is very much him failing because of his personal hangups

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

They're also probably going to notice that the map the quinton is keeping overlaps with itself.

Spaces bigger on the inside are pretty standard, though.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
There is still the IFCC curveball ahead :ohdear

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Nenonen posted:

There is still the IFCC curveball ahead :ohdear

Two curveballs.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I wonder if there's a relative of MitD somewhere in this dungeon.

The most awful monster, the White Comedian

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The MitD-related monster is a wandering one, because Serini asked it to guard the gate. It's been searching for said gate ever since.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

SuperKlaus posted:

The most awful monster, the White Comedian

Ozymandias threw him out a window.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
It would be funny if the Modron fucks off and then Xykon continues keeping to the rules of the deal unknowingly, proving it wasn't as big an issue for him as he made it seem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

nimby posted:

The MitD-related monster is a wandering one, because Serini asked it to guard the gate. It's been searching for said gate ever since.

What gate?