Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Apraxin posted:

lol

bold action against mad woke lefty proposals that your uncle saw in a facebook forward

surely for him to scrap a proposal he must also at one point have approved it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
he meant scrapping in the sense of fighting, maybe

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sunak pointing at random tweets: "scrapped"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Apraxin posted:

lol

bold action against mad woke lefty proposals that your uncle saw in a facebook forward

Where I am we already have 7:
(For bin read bin or bag - they're messing around with our recycling objects & also varies with if you are an individual home or communal eg block of flats)

Red bin = paper/card
Purple bin = plastics (some), tins
Yellow bin = 'hygiene' waste (eg nappies)
Green bin with round hole or green box = glass
Blue bin = food
Brown bag or Green bin with lift up lid = garden waste
Black bag = anything else 'domestic' (but not builders' rubble etc)

& if you take anything to the tip (aka 'household recycling centre') they make you empty out black bin bags in front of them to check there's no recyclables in them.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Julio Cruz posted:

surely for him to scrap a proposal he must also at one point have approved it?

You can just say you've scraped something your core voters don't like, even if it never existed. Easy positive media coverage!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Sunak pointing at random tweets: "scrapped"
Between this and the police at pride thing I think someone advising their strategy is getting their popular grievances from X.

OwlFancier posted:

I would have assumed passenger limits would be... like you have to carry passengers?
Yeah if anything close to that even existed as an embryonic policy, it'd be something like "allow carpooling to use bus lanes in cities during rush hour." You can't force people to have passengers but you can incentivize.

More likely someone at the Ayn Rand Group For Thinking Good fell asleep watching Peter Kay's Car Share and imagined the whole thing.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Binshallah

*Swish from downtown*

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1704564432318197882

:allears:

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah if anything close to that even existed as an embryonic policy, it'd be something like "allow carpooling to use bus lanes in cities during rush hour." You can't force people to have passengers but you can incentivize.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-occupancy_vehicle_lane

This sort of thing is not uncommon in the US, and is sometimes next to the "only use this lane if you've paid a toll" lane.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's about the mildest traffic reduction measure possible, and Sunak's focus groups have decided that people are more scared of that than double the rates of catastrophic flooding.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

domhal posted:

This sort of thing is not uncommon in the US, and is sometimes next to the "only use this lane if you've paid a toll" lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pWjWlwmWDU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

domhal posted:

this actually works pretty well over here, i'm surprised to hear it's rare/unknown in the UK

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the congested roads that would benefit from it have been there for like a thousand years and are enclosed by buildings

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And back then the boomers were all complaining about that and going "who remembers going to work on the squid??"

You could let carpoolers use bus lanes though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Up until recently the carpool thing would be unenforceable because you'd need to hire people to enforce it and the difference between the UK and the US is that the UK also cuts police budgets.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

There's one in Leeds. It only applies during rush hour, but drivers don't read that part and all cram into the single remaining lane, while I drive past laughing, in my car with no passengers. So it's like the opposite of a carpool lane most of the time.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I would have assumed passenger limits would be... like you have to carry passengers?
No no, scrapping limits as in uber ride shares that look like those trains from old footage of India, with all people hanging off them.

Or possibly scrapping multiple occupancy vehicles to finally finish off those dang trains and buses so that silicon valley can reinvent them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

so that silicon valley can reinvent them.
Choo choo!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

what if EMUs but only the bogies

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to put technopreneur on my CV and charge them $20m for my proof that they could move more goods and thus make more money if they coupled many directly together.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

domhal posted:

There's always two or more persons in my car :smuggo:

(Adolf seems displeased to ride the shotgun though, what an old grump)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I might be thinking of a different one but I'm sure they were literally pushing them as independent bogies that you can put under cargo of arbitrary sizes, so if you tried to connect them together you'd mostly just create exciting and novel forms of derailment because there's no actual bed, just wheels wedged under a crate.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

My bogies are no where near that big

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Well yeah, they're a war crime :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I might be thinking of a different one but I'm sure they were literally pushing them as independent bogies that you can put under cargo of arbitrary sizes, so if you tried to connect them together you'd mostly just create exciting and novel forms of derailment because there's no actual bed, just wheels wedged under a crate.
I think the second generation one is getting more like a train because they realized that there's a reason that you don't just stick a metal box on rails on two bogies and they figured that out with the early pacers.

It may still be two semi-autonomous bogie units though, in which case I'm going to get extra consultancy fees by telling them about the amazing efficiency savings you can get with one big motor pulling a bunch of them instead, then the autonomous ones just kick in before the switches.

e: ^^ he preferred to eat a Walther than ride shotgun

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And that engineer who figured out best explained why... was Richard Feynman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7h4OtFDnYE

This is a deep deep kind of engineer lore, from back when it still meant "a person engaged in designing, constructing, or maintaining engines" and yet it still seems to be rediscovered every time the bogies do their thing and the bus/crate bit somehow twists and falls off.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Nenonen posted:

He's being driven home from a very dissatisfying Sheringham festival.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The four nazis riding home in their kleinbus are all griping about how he didn't want to go back with them too.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

And back then the boomers were all complaining about that and going "who remembers going to work on the squid??"

You could let carpoolers use bus lanes though.

Imagining loads of squid trying to get to work

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
lool just saw old majesty king on the TV reading french very badly

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the stupid old oval office

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Imagine the frustration of being a bronze age archer trying to hunt the buried turfline deers

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Guavanaut posted:

I'm going to put technopreneur on my CV and charge them $20m for my proof that they could move more goods and thus make more money if they coupled many directly together.

Bad news, their own promo video already shows this innovation.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

Its outrageous how good the explanations in Fun To Imagine are.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I swear BBC news has got even worse, somehow

Chris Kaba was "hit by a bullet which went through the windscreen of the car he was travelling in"

how that bullet got there? :iiam:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

Chris Kaba was "hit by a bullet which went through the windscreen of the car he was travelling in"

Link?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Julio Cruz posted:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Bullet Killed Man After Suddenly Departing From Vicinity Of Police Officer

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Google Jeb Bush posted:

this actually works pretty well over here, i'm surprised to hear it's rare/unknown in the UK

we do, they're just called bus lanes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Microplastics posted:

Bullet Killed Man After Suddenly Departing From Vicinity Of Police Officer

The bullet was framed. :colbert: