Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TIL that Ashrah gets a full combo off her back throw with a Scorpion kameo. WTF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

TIL that Ashrah gets a full combo off her back throw with a Scorpion kameo. WTF.

I mentioned this itt a few days ago.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Regrettable posted:

I mentioned this itt a few days ago.

Revelations like these make me wonder why I bother playing an honest character at all. It's time to learn Ashrah.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Revelations like these make me wonder why I bother playing an honest character at all. It's time to learn Ashrah.

Just don't be surprised if they remove it since it was probably not intended.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

IDK this is the same game where Raiden can get 500 damage from a 9f punish, MK1 is wild.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
She's not the only character who can combo of throws with kameos. Baraka/Cyrax has an easy one, Raiden/Striker a more tricky one. They also tell you that you can do this in either the tutorial or one of the combo trials, so I think it is intentional.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

exquisite tea posted:

IDK this is the same game where Raiden can get 500 damage from a 9f punish, MK1 is wild.

Raiden seems really good in this game. 3hit low string, combo-able overheads, cool hat. Guy has it all

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I am pathetically cursed to jump just late enough to miss doing an air combo whenever I do a comboable pop up. Perhaps I am just too old to be good at fighting games unless it is Giovanna in Strive.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Schnitzler posted:

She's not the only character who can combo of throws with kameos. Baraka/Cyrax has an easy one, Raiden/Striker a more tricky one. They also tell you that you can do this in either the tutorial or one of the combo trials, so I think it is intentional.

Smoke/Darrius and Kung Lao/Darrius have good ones and I would legitimately think it's busted if darrius' recharge rate wasn't so slow

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Schnitzler posted:

I'm pretty sure I watched Max combo off a throw with Reptile-Scorpion

Honestly I like that this game returns to "do crazy poo poo" for fighting game combos. I hate when a game is so "balanced" it still becomes like 5 good characters, or just unfun to play with everybody having similar movesets.

I need to get better with Shao: he's so much fun but I have no idea what I'm doing: using Stryker atm, which may be my problem.

Stryker seems kinda hard to use effectively.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm pretty sure I watched Max combo off a throw with Reptile-Scorpion

Honestly I like that this game returns to "do crazy poo poo" for fighting game combos. I hate when a game is so "balanced" it still becomes like 5 good characters, or just unfun to play with everybody having similar movesets.

I need to get better with Shao: he's so much fun but I have no idea what I'm doing: using Stryker atm, which may be my problem.

Stryker seems kinda hard to use effectively.

I want to use Stryker, but I just couldn't get anything to synergize well. Scorpion, Sub Zero, Sareena, and Cyrax are the only ones I can seem to get to work. Goro looks like I might be able to use him too, but I haven't tried.

I really want to mess around with Shujinko, but the variance available intimidates me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think people are only beginning to understand kameos beyond their most basic applications. I played against a Baraka who kept calling Cyrax to make his strings safe and got chipped to death just standing there blocking lmao.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Unbound posted:

I want to use Stryker, but I just couldn't get anything to synergize well. Scorpion, Sub Zero, Sareena, and Cyrax are the only ones I can seem to get to work. Goro looks like I might be able to use him too, but I haven't tried.

I really want to mess around with Shujinko, but the variance available intimidates me.

His best move by far to me is his handcuffs on down motion

You can do some nasty set ups or even interrupt a combo if you land it.

His grenades seem meh, and his night-stick is from what I can tell kind of a lame sweep

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Schnitzler posted:

Ah, okay, I haven't gotten around to the tutorials yet so I did not know that.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Just watched Rooflemonger's video on kameos, great source for Kameo info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0CrprEEICA

Stryker is actually quite good apparently

Motaro has a teleport that works for BOTH OF YOU, so you can be in the middle of a throw and just tp away afterwards, or
you can do all sorts of annoying poo poo, because it interrupts immediately whatever you are doing

Going to be trying some Motaro

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 20, 2023

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Raiden/Stryker work well together. Strykers baton overhead is +6 on block and you can cancel into it from your good strings without a gap, so you can turn your safe but minus f3 4 into either +6 or a knockdown. When they start reacting to Stryker coming in you can then switch it up with the low, keep them guessing. Grenades are great as combo extenders in the corner, instead of doing EX df2 to pop up, you do df2 and close grenade to keep them in the air.

Edit:

TulliusCicero posted:

Just watched Rooflemonger's video on kameos, great source for Kameo info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0CrprEEICA

Stryker is actually quite good apparently

Motaro has a teleport that works for BOTH OF YOU, so you can be in the middle of a throw and just tp away afterwards, or
you can do all sorts of annoying poo poo, because it interrupts immediately whatever you are doing

Going to be trying some Motaro

Ah you beat me to it, yeah that video explains it better than I ever could.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gavok posted:

Havik was the main villain of the comic and yeah, after defeating him, Scorpion was carrying around his still-living head. Then he just threw it into the Netherrealm for Moloch and Drahmin to torture.

Speaking of this, I just watched a video showing every character's interaction with Lord Liu Kang at the end of story mode. All the villain characters, including Shang Tsung and Havik, react politely to his compliment, except for General Shao, who is all "OF COURSE I'M AWESOME, YOU FOOL!" Otherwise, Kung Lao's kind of an rear end and Johnny mentions that "Chosen One" was one of his highest grossing films. Also notable is that choosing Liu Kang means you'll play as ANOTHER Lord Liu Kang.

No you misunderstood.
That Johnny Cages biggest grossing film was "And they called me the Chosen One."

It's a buddy movie/comedy deconstruction of action films with destiny plot lines. Sort of like The Unbearable Weight of Talent but with Kung Fu.
Easy mistake to make.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 21, 2023

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Welp, verified the files and it found 5GB of missing stuff? Seems to have fixed the problem. Still ought to upgrade because I run out of video memory if I try to run it at max settings, but it is playable now at medium.

Now to figure out what character to play, the only character I kind of know how to play in MK11 is Skarlet and she's not in this one. I guess Rain might be close?

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 21, 2023

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Gavok posted:

Havik was the main villain of the comic and yeah, after defeating him, Scorpion was carrying around his still-living head. Then he just threw it into the Netherrealm for Moloch and Drahmin to torture.

Speaking of this, I just watched a video showing every character's interaction with Lord Liu Kang at the end of story mode. All the villain characters, including Shang Tsung and Havik, react politely to his compliment, except for General Shao, who is all "OF COURSE I'M AWESOME, YOU FOOL!" Otherwise, Kung Lao's kind of an rear end and Johnny mentions that "Chosen One" was one of his highest grossing films. Also notable is that choosing Liu Kang means you'll play as ANOTHER Lord Liu Kang.

I love how in any universe Shao Kahn is a giant arrogant ham man :allears:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I have noticed a serious flaw with the game:

Konfirm and Cancel.

Cancel!? Not "Kancel"?? smdh c'mon, NRS

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Ed had to cave and give the english editor at least one normal c word since the guy wouldn't stop vomiting on his office floor.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Kuit to desktop

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_feRZt67dw&ab_channel=DaikiStyleGaming

How many of these?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

His best move by far to me is his handcuffs on down motion

You can do some nasty set ups or even interrupt a combo if you land it.

His grenades seem meh, and his night-stick is from what I can tell kind of a lame sweep

Grenades can create unusual combo routes, smoke's 212 is his hardest hitting cancelable string but can't combo into ex teleport to extend it to anything. 2-back-assist12 gives you enough advantage off the grenades to cancel into ex teleport and land a pretty damaging one bar combo

Night stick is a overhead/low mix and both are plus on block

Plus handcuffs ask the question "what if everyone was MK9 johnny cage" so I think Stryker is gonna be really good

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

It only just occurred to me seeing this video title that this was their way of working Armageddon's kreate a fighter into the canon

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

pretty soft girl posted:

Grenades can create unusual combo routes, smoke's 212 is his hardest hitting cancelable string but can't combo into ex teleport to extend it to anything. 2-back-assist12 gives you enough advantage off the grenades to cancel into ex teleport and land a pretty damaging one bar combo

Night stick is a overhead/low mix and both are plus on block

Plus handcuffs ask the question "what if everyone was MK9 johnny cage" so I think Stryker is gonna be really good

Couple of examples of stuff Stryker allows, neither the three hit stab nor the triple kick usually give you much without kameo help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZR0K2pgnKY

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I finished invasions today and gotta say I'm not sure how into a season 2 I would be. Maybe its just because I binged through it over 5 days when it should take 45 but there was just too many nodes!! I wanna see the cool story stuff, I don't wanna fight mook shao kahn 200 times.

Asinine that the talisman and relic inventory is capped but theres no way to sell relics? Also I found out rather quick that buying relics in the shop is pointless because you will get it on the map soon enough so I had a bunch of duplicates clogging up the inventory. Didn't really find much use for consumables except for using the anti projectile one against boss scorpo and the uppercut ones on towers to make them quick. I dont get why you'd buy 5x of these consumables when you're ALSO space limited. I had to discard valuable poo poo time after time because I needed to keep a key on hand to find a chest.

There should be an overview that allows you to teleport around but then there wouldn't be those dumb ambushes. I really liked the crack screen dragon for those but other than that they were just hindrances.

Survive nodes are pointless I didnt have to jump at all I could tank every fireball and be fine.

Reason? The stat system which also kinda doesn't make sense. I played as scorpion 100% (to build mastery and hes my boi) except for nodes that required another fighter for a klue and used every consumable stat boost on him and by the final islands I was essentially invincible. Sure vs some enemies I did paltry damage but their full combos tickled to the point I'd have to eat 300 of them to be in danger.

Its simultaneously a grind but also not challenging, very weird!!!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lol watching DSP play this game is a trip.

2 matches in it and he's already wet and mad it's not SF6

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Hmm, seems some of the brutalities are bugged. Reptile's dash brutality says to hold Y and I do and nothing happens. I watched AF0xyGrampa do it the other day so I wonder if it's just not working on the Steam version.

E: I think some of them are just mislabeled. Reptile's second fatality distance is listed as close when it's actually mid.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 21, 2023

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Question for folks playing this, or previous MKs, on an arcade stick / hitbox:

I have a hitbox I primarily use for Street Fighter (I have absolutely minimal skill in MK). In MK I find hitting the block button awkward in its default configuration (same button a Heavy Kick in Street Fighter).

It's just... weird. And I actually miss it a lot, unintentionally hitting 4 instead. And pressing it at the same time as an attack button in order to use a boosted move also requires finger placements I am just not used to.

I'll get better at it with time / muscle memory. But I wanted to ask if any non-pad players remap the buttons or have suggestions which might make this easier for someone coming from SF.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Regrettable posted:

Hmm, seems some of the brutalities are bugged. Reptile's dash brutality says to hold Y and I do and nothing happens. I watched AF0xyGrampa do it the other day so I wonder if it's just not working on the Steam version.

E: I think some of them are just mislabeled. Reptile's second fatality distance is listed as close when it's actually mid.

I just played around with this one and I was able to get it to work, but its kind of like his slide brutality, where if the move kills after a certain trigger point, it just won't work. For this one you need the first part of the move, where he dashes past them, to be the killing blow while holding 2.

His Fatality 2 is definitely mislabeled though.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Unbound posted:

Raiden seems really good in this game. 3hit low string, combo-able overheads, cool hat. Guy has it all

He only has a single mid and it takes a century to start. He is also covered in gaps.

TulliusCicero posted:

Lol watching DSP play this game is a trip.

2 matches in it and he's already wet and mad it's not SF6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQvsL1CmWlo&t=56s

Mr. Neutron fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 21, 2023

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Unbound posted:

I just played around with this one and I was able to get it to work, but its kind of like his slide brutality, where if the move kills after a certain trigger point, it just won't work. For this one you need the first part of the move, where he dashes past them, to be the killing blow while holding 2.

His Fatality 2 is definitely mislabeled though.

I could have sworn I killed them on the first hit a few times. Either I was mistaken or it was something to do with damage scaling based on stats in invasion mode. I can get it to work consistently outside of the mode as long as the other person is 30hp or less.

Sucks that it's such a stringent requirement because I was hoping to use it as a quick brutality for the mode. The slide one has quite a bit more leeway but it and some of the others take a pretty long time. I know the uppercut is nice and quick but sometimes they jump the instant you do it so it doesn't count.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Been labbing with Ashrah this morning and her back throw combo with Scorpion is a little tricky to actually land. I can only convert it like 25% of the time and get about 26% damage without resorting to parlor tricks for one bar of meter, so not especially practical although it is kool. You can also convert her uppercut into a combo with Scorp if you're fast enough on the draw. I'm sure someone better at optimizing can destroy people with this setup for the crime of blocking.

I don't think I've come across a single other Ashrah online but she kind of owns? Her poke range is incredible and almost everything she has is safe. She's got a 12f advancing mid into an overhead and both strings are totally safe on block. A little more complicated due to her stance switching gimmick but even if you stay in light mode the entire time she's got a lot of tools.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 21, 2023

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Regrettable posted:

I could have sworn I killed them on the first hit a few times. Either I was mistaken or it was something to do with damage scaling based on stats in invasion mode. I can get it to work consistently outside of the mode as long as the other person is 30hp or less.

Sucks that it's such a stringent requirement because I was hoping to use it as a quick brutality for the mode. The slide one has quite a bit more leeway but it and some of the others take a pretty long time. I know the uppercut is nice and quick but sometimes they jump the instant you do it so it doesn't count.

You can throw a charged b2 after the forceball p often in invasion (and ranked if you dont do it much). P quick and easy brutality on it. I think its just hold b2 down . It's never failed me.

Mr. Neutron posted:

He only has a single mid and it takes a century to start. He is also covered in gaps.

Yeah, started blowing up that mid starter tonight. Maybe I'm just bad. Definitely starting to get more and more into Reptile with Scorpion. B3,1 into either the forward assist or finishing the string with 3 is a good mix-up. On block, you can get a df3 in as well for potentially blowing someone up.

Unbound fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 21, 2023

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
I really enjoy Raiden in this game, he is loads of fun. The mid being slow as hell is not that bad since you have your fantastic low string anyway, still not the fastest in the world but servicable. And his gaps you can cover very easily, e.g., by canceling the strings into Stryker baton overhead before the gap. Or using Goro and ending your block strings in electric orb, then call in Goro's punch attack to make it save.
The kameo system really won me over massively, I hated it when they first showed it, to the point that I intended to skip this game. But when I gave it a try I immediately enjoyed it, it's great, so much better than the variation system.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Does Raiden have the superman move still?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Yep!

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Question for folks playing this, or previous MKs, on an arcade stick / hitbox:

I have a hitbox I primarily use for Street Fighter (I have absolutely minimal skill in MK). In MK I find hitting the block button awkward in its default configuration (same button a Heavy Kick in Street Fighter).

It's just... weird. And I actually miss it a lot, unintentionally hitting 4 instead. And pressing it at the same time as an attack button in order to use a boosted move also requires finger placements I am just not used to.

I'll get better at it with time / muscle memory. But I wanted to ask if any non-pad players remap the buttons or have suggestions which might make this easier for someone coming from SF.

i have block mapped to 3p, assist on 4p, throw on 3k, and stance change on 4k

i use my index finger for 1,2,3, and 4, and my ring finger for block and throw. pinky for assist and stance. i'm just used to it after decades of playing on stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Raiden with Jax can get stupid damage as well, https://youtu.be/KjOYwBkGIB4?si=hhBcnx93XPqGlB-Y from 12 mins in for a huge 60% damage bombo off a mid and could probably be done off the f43 low as well.