Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

america is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

some soy guy who cried after watching star wars isnt going ot change my mind

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

why would you try to change your own mind

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

do musicals have sequels?

I regret to tell you, Phantom of the Opera did.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

good news: he doesn't want to change your mind and in fact wrote a whole musical which I think you'd love

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Nix Panicus posted:

Do you want to feel good about American mythology and the inherent moral superiority of the American cause, but you half way paid attention in history class or your kids keep sharing what they've learned? Here's some dancing black people telling you that it was actually great, and modern America has atoned for its past and now anyone can portray the racist founders and brush aside their problematic aspects

In no way does Hamilton ever imply that America has atoned for it's past. It basically just treats every historical figure like a fictional character

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

In no way does Hamilton ever imply that America has atoned for it's past. It basically just treats every historical figure like a fictional character

The Batman guy who says someone aiming an RPG at them isnt good was put in for you

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

do musicals have sequels?

not good ones

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hamilton implies that america has atoned for its past and everything is okay now because we have Hamilton

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Nix Panicus posted:

The Batman guy who says someone aiming an RPG at them isnt good was put in for you

what if we shot it like a wes anderson film

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hamilton implies that america has atoned for its past and everything is okay now because we have Hamilton

its literally a whitewashing of hamilton lmfao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

loquacius posted:

good news: he doesn't want to change your mind and in fact wrote a whole musical which I think you'd love

baby going to cry

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmm made king george III white and extremely gay

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

its literally a whitewashing of hamilton lmfao

geez you say that like he bought and sold slaves or something

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the act of america continuing to exist and producing something like hamilton is an atonement, the affirmation that the founding fathers believed in the five elements of hip-hop

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

baby going to cry

yes, in sheer awe at the beauty of the American success story depicted in Lin-Manuel Miranda's hit musical Hamilton

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hamilton was scot irish and htat is NOT white

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

loquacius posted:

yes, in sheer awe at the beauty of the American success story depicted in Lin-Manuel Miranda's hit musical Hamilton

baby going to cry

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

as someone who was raised by musical theater people, it is still really funny that 1776 has a song about slavery and Hamilton doesn't

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

if you pretend all the america poo poo is made up then hamilton's pretty good. kinda cringe but it's musical theatre, what do you expect.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

baby going to cry

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

josh04 posted:

if you pretend all the america poo poo is made up then hamilton's pretty good. kinda cringe but it's musical theatre, what do you expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6djdNnICNTs

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

can someone break down for me what I or AiT are meant to be upset about in this instance, I can't keep up the kayfabe

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the biggest name in musical theater did a whole musical about how cool it is to assassinate the president like thirty years ago, we do not have to hand it to Hamilton

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Hamilton isn't historically accurate or even politically relevant and that is completely jellical

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

loquacius posted:

can someone break down for me what I or AiT are meant to be upset about in this instance, I can't keep up the kayfabe

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

:ok:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it would be awesome if libs were as obsessed with Cats as they are with Hamilton, like if they brought Skimbleshanks the Railway Cat to the inauguration

definitely a better musical, anyway

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
In The Heights does not accurately represent the racial tensions of early 2000's neighborhoods in NYC, nor the blackout of 2003. Additionally it encourages gambling

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

In The Heights does not accurately represent the racial tensions of early 2000's neighborhoods in NYC, nor the blackout of 2003. Additionally it encourages gambling

nobody saw it so it gets a pass

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
cats made over a billion on broadway, libs love it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The best musical is probably Newsies and I actually hope the libs never discover it

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

nobody saw it so it gets a pass

too bad it was actually a good movie adaptation except for erasing the whole race poo poo between her dad and bf and literally erasing her mom

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

loquacius posted:

The best musical is probably Newsies and I actually hope the libs never discover it

politically speaking yes but it sucks as a musical

les mis is better on both

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

cats made over a billion on broadway, libs love it

everyone who saw it voted for trump though

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

the only good cats is Cats (2019) sorry

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

politically speaking yes but it sucks as a musical

les mis is better on both

It is kind of funny in retrospect that my mom spent the 90s obsessed with a musical that has a whole song about the colors of the main characters' anarchocommunist flags and went on to vote for Hillary and Biden and once argued to me against student debt forgiveness because she feels bad for parents that paid for their kids' college

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

josh04 posted:

the only good cats is Cats (2019) sorry

obviously

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

It is kind of funny in retrospect that my mom spent the 90s obsessed with a musical that has a whole song about the colors of the main characters' anarchocommunist flags and went on to vote for Hillary and Biden and once argued to me against student debt forgiveness because she feels bad for parents that paid for their kids' college

yeah but that's just a story about a time when people had conflicts over ideas. all those conflicts have been settled now and the best ideas won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

it's also funny that chuds were quoting Do You Hear The People Sing when Trump won. What do they think the revolution in that show was about??? Capital gains tax???? Too many pronouns??????