Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

cruft posted:

Latin letters were not an ideal choice for Celtic and Germanic languages. I mean, yeah, it brought literacy, but at what cost! poo poo, just look at how "brought" is spelled!
Maybe it's more an issue of it being pronounced funny now? Seems plausible that in middle-English it might have been pronounced brew[phlegm]t or something!
(Like how a stupid English kuh-nigget might do!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

roomforthetuna posted:

Maybe it's more an issue of it being pronounced funny now? Seems plausible that in middle-English it might have been pronounced brew[phlegm]t or something!
(Like how a stupid English kuh-nigget might do!)

No, it's because of Norman orthography. It's why we have dumb spellings like through and enough and ought.

Latin had like 24 phonemes and 24 letters. English has 44 with 26 letters. So we get things like th and sh and ough and silent e.

cruft

Ooh, do I get to talk about Shavian now?!

AdvilSmith

Broken! Busted! Everybody has something to repair. Before buying new, let Mighty Putty fix it for you.
This little buddy was tippy tapping his way across the shop today. It was pretty cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUHXmSteaQ4

thank you RavenousScoot 🤘🐹

Escape From Noise

Sorry for going on a tear in the golden age DC comics thread. That stuff cracks me up

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

cruft posted:

No, it's because of Norman orthography. It's why we have dumb spellings like through and enough and ought.

Latin had like 24 phonemes and 24 letters. English has 44 with 26 letters. So we get things like th and sh and ough and silent e.
But if it wasn't pronounced differently then phonemes-to-letters-wise "ough" is just "uff" or "oh" or "off" or "oo" or "uh".
(Also it's annoying to have to double those 'f's to avoid ambiguity with pronunciation "ov")

Th and sh are different phonemes, but x and c are letters *without* distinct phonemes, and silent e isn't a phoneme, so the mapping is all pretty silly.

cruft

roomforthetuna posted:

But if it wasn't pronounced differently then phonemes-to-letters-wise "ough" is just "uff" or "oh" or "off" or "oo" or "uh".
(Also it's annoying to have to double those 'f's to avoid ambiguity with pronunciation "ov")

Th and sh are different phonemes, but x and c are letters *without* distinct phonemes, and silent e isn't a phoneme, so the mapping is all pretty silly.

I actually haven't made it far enough into the History of English podcast to know, I was guessing about ough. You may be right: perhaps ough was once a guttural fricative or something!

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

On tonight's movie nite we'll be watching dinosaur documentaries, which is always fun. That's in about nine hours from now, join us later if you like.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Escape From Noise

Saoshyant posted:

On tonight's movie nite we'll be watching dinosaur documentaries, which is always fun. That's in about nine hours from now, join us later if you like.

Ah dang. Got excited then saw "9 hours from now".

Ass-penny

here for language chat and jumping spiders :allears:

Saoshyant

Escape From Noise posted:

Ah dang. Got excited then saw "9 hours from now".

Sorry, it's hard to pick a timeslot that somewhat works for both NA and Western Europe -- the farther the one's into the East, the harder it is to reconcile the timezone differences :(

Andoman

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

rear end-penny posted:

here for language chat and jumping spiders :allears:

I'm definitely down with the language chat, but jumping spiders might be a different matter

Andoman

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

cruft posted:

Latin letters were not an ideal choice for Celtic and Germanic languages. I mean, yeah, it brought literacy, but at what cost! poo poo, just look at how "brought" is spelled!

Yeah, so I speak a bit of Welsh, Irish Gaelic pretty well and a little Scotch Gaelic, all 3 share the trait that they are ok to learn as spoken languages but a pain in the backside to learn as written languages (well in my opinion at any rate).

Escape From Noise

Saoshyant posted:

Sorry, it's hard to pick a timeslot that somewhat works for both NA and Western Europe -- the farther the one's into the East, the harder it is to reconcile the timezone differences :(

It's fine. Since the pandemic was over it's just how it is. I'm the only one out here so it makes sense.

Escape From Noise

Sorry I killed the comic thread.

Finger Prince

Time for some Dr. Geoff Lindsey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U37hX8NPgjQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdldD0-kEcc

Saoshyant

Sorry I killed the comic thread.

I loved yours posts in it and you should do more if you find them. Do try to avoid hotlinking images though if possible 'cause those don't show sometimes. Use postimages.org or Imgur

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Escape From Noise

Saoshyant posted:

I loved yours posts in it and you should do more if you find them. Do try to avoid hotlinking images though if possible 'cause those don't show sometimes. Use postimages.org or Imgur

YEah but then I gunk up my phone with a buncha poo poo

hark

I'm sleep
what the gently caress is up, thread? I haven't been in here in a while and I hope y'all are doing fantastic.

Manifisto

hark posted:

what the gently caress is up, thread? I haven't been in here in a while and I hope y'all are doing fantastic.

same to you friend! I at least am enjoying the prospect of the coming fall but just as happy it still feels like late summer where I am. what's your weather situation?

ty nesamdoom!

roomforthetuna

cruft posted:

You may be right: perhaps ough was once a guttural fricative or something!
I would like English to have a revolution like Korea did, and just go "you know what, gently caress it, new alphabet and spellings that make sense."

That'll show those Scrabble champions!

hark

I'm sleep

Manifisto posted:

same to you friend! I at least am enjoying the prospect of the coming fall but just as happy it still feels like late summer where I am. what's your weather situation?

80 degrees and beautiful for the week it looks like. excited for fall too. I'm building an ebike and I'm excited to ride around through the leaves and stuff once it's done. hopefully just a few more weeks left til I have all the parts to complete it.

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

Cardio done, weightlifting done, supper planned, cleaning ignored... Is it about time for a beer? I'm kinda feeling like it's close.

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

Hello, I'm calling on behalf of PrawnStar today. I just need to verify your payment information so that there is no loss of service for your Crustacean.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
baka of lathspell

u could always smoke a weed or drink a brew

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

sb hermit

nesamdoom posted:

Cardio done, weightlifting done, supper planned, cleaning ignored... Is it about time for a beer? I'm kinda feeling like it's close.

I did cleaning on my end so I'm gonna have some whiskey.

AdvilSmith

Broken! Busted! Everybody has something to repair. Before buying new, let Mighty Putty fix it for you.
I was LITERLY on my phone, right now, to call you about upgrading my current crustacean!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Tag yourself. I'm "tickle my bum with a mannequin thumb"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE5JMEu5hZA

Viginti Septem fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 22, 2023

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

AdvilSmith posted:

I was LITERLY on my phone, right now, to call you about upgrading my current crustacean!

Excellent, you're in luck as we are offering free seaside assistance upgrades right now!

sb hermit posted:

I did cleaning on my end so I'm gonna have some whiskey.

Hey, that's what I ended up going with. Been a relaxed afternoon.

E:phone posting got my quotes all jacked up.

nesamdoom fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 22, 2023

Quadramind

Good morning!

Will today be a good day? Let's see.

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

Quadramind posted:

Good morning!

Will today be a good day? Let's see.

I'm pissed at half two in the morn and going to bed, but I feel like it'll be a good day. Go into your ventures positive and chill everyone. Can't hurt at least.
Goodnight/morning/day everyone.

Quadramind

sometimes, if you just focus on the chill, the positive comes unbidden

Escape From Noise

Holy shiiiiit! The pachinko parlor near me closed apparently. I was passing by it on the way to the station and people had gutted it. Looking inside, oh my god, it would be so perfect for a brewery!

Quadramind

initially misread that as pachinko parkour and think it would be dope to have a big pachinko machine you can horse around in

AdvilSmith

Unintentionally working on a Guts cosplay for this Halloween. Was doing a rear bearing on a VW golf yesterday and was taking the backing plate off to clean it all up. Well, the rust seal didn't want to let it go so I gave it a lil yank and it was sort of like that video of the lady and the Melon sling shot. Instead of a Melon, I got a backing plate to my face lol. I was wearing my glasses but they don't cover that part of my nose unfortunately.
Stay safe everyone and happy Friday!

NSFW possibly. It's a smallish cut on my nose, minimal blood, but I'll spoiler it anyhow.

AdvilSmith

Also, what's a pachinko? Is that like the price is right gamr where people drop an air hockey disc down a vertical board for prizes? Plinko, I believe they called it.

Manifisto

Viginti Septem posted:

Tag yourself. I'm "tickle my bum with a mannequin thumb"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE5JMEu5hZA

Snuffalupagus did in fact eat my asparagus, however they didn't know I was saving it so they're forgiven :love:

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

AdvilSmith posted:

Unintentionally working on a Guts cosplay for this Halloween. Was doing a rear bearing on a VW golf yesterday and was taking the backing plate off to clean it all up. Well, the rust seal didn't want to let it go so I gave it a lil yank and it was sort of like that video of the lady and the Melon sling shot. Instead of a Melon, I got a backing plate to my face lol. I was wearing my glasses but they don't cover that part of my nose unfortunately.
Stay safe everyone and happy Friday!

NSFW possibly. It's a smallish cut on my nose, minimal blood, but I'll spoiler it anyhow.

ouch, that looks painful! sorry friend, and sympathies, I got my own minor injury (a fat lip) yesterday in taking down a birdhouse, of all things. you can never predict what's gonna get ya . . .

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

Holy shiiiiit! The pachinko parlor near me closed apparently. I was passing by it on the way to the station and people had gutted it. Looking inside, oh my god, it would be so perfect for a brewery!

you know what you must do! (brewery/brewpub/pachinko parlor)

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Manifisto posted:

you know what you must do! (brewery/brewpub/pachinko parlor)

Unfortunately, I don't think it's available despite the signage. It looks like it's owned by a company that'll remodel it into one of their stores, then get a franchisee.