Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

just ride flats and wear normal shoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Fool posted:

I used to do this but I can no longer deny the benefit of clip ins on long rides, my main bike has combination flats/spd and I really notice the extra effort when I ride using the flats in normal shoes

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The Fool posted:

high tops no socks :getin:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

The peacocking is so dumb. Let’s take an already absurdly expensive sport and then judge people for their socks. People all kitted out in the most fashionable bike gear look so stupid. We get it, you’re rich.
peacocking (or whatever you want to call garish-on-purpose dress) is cool and good, it's the real/pretend/"just kidding" enforcement of dumb rules that's annoying. Just loving let people be.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wearing a mountain biking helmet on the road to trigger the dentists.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

you're supposed to cycle in these

Stop being suckered by Big Sock
Hell. Yeah.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

peacocking (or whatever you want to call garish-on-purpose dress) is cool and good, it's the real/pretend/"just kidding" enforcement of dumb rules that's annoying. Just loving let people be.

You mean you're against the principles of the Velominati?! :arghfist:

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Just ride your bike how you want to and don't worry about what anyone else says or does. You wanna wear full kit that costs a lot of money cause it brings you joy? Do it! You wanna wear no show socks with SPD sandals? Do it!

Just ride your bike!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Tigren posted:

Just ride your bike!

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mederlock posted:

Reading this is making me angry again

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Slavvy posted:

I used to do this but I can no longer deny the benefit of clip ins on long rides, my main bike has combination flats/spd and I really notice the extra effort when I ride using the flats in normal shoes

yeah same. I started using SPD pedals as my first and only clip-in system and when I use bikeshare or a rental bike I find myself trying to ride it like I'm clipped in and my legs get really confused

based on my friends experiences with other pedals and what I've read it seems like SPD is the best compromise pedal for amateur riding where you get the pedalstroke benefits and few downsides. I'd only really switch if I also spent wayy more on a sporty bike with nice components or I somehow started getting seriously into cycling events and needed to optimize further

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My gearing was pretty off for part of the fondo last weekend. I couldn’t have even zig zagged my way up that part. So I got off and hike a biked it in my spd mountain bike shoes. Just noob things

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Silca Aero socks are the best socks I've ever used. They also make my legs look great.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

The Fool posted:

gonna go against this and say that if you’re going to the effort of wearing bib shorts and a cycling jersey then just grow up and get proper shoes and pedals. i don’t care about road vs mtb pedals, but clipping in and out is just not difficult. it takes about 15 minutes max to get used to

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sphyre posted:

gonna go against this and say that if you’re going to the effort of wearing bib shorts and a cycling jersey

I definitely don't do that.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

I definitely don't do that.

Wait, you don't wear bibs? Or you don't wear any padded short?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sphyre posted:

gonna go against this and say that if you’re going to the effort of wearing bib shorts and a cycling jersey then just grow up and get proper shoes and pedals. i don’t care about road vs mtb pedals, but clipping in and out is just not difficult. it takes about 15 minutes max to get used to

Sorry you’re required to fall over at several lights and then post about to so everyone can welcome to you to the club, which is apparently grown men who have the dexterity and grace of an untreated Parkinson’s patient

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Sphyre posted:

Or wear bibs and a jersey cause you like it, and wear tennis shoes and use flats cause you like it. That works too and is cool and good.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

Wait, you don't wear bibs? Or you don't wear any padded short?

no bibs, no padded shorts, no jersey

stop gatekeeping a dumb hobby

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

no bibs, no padded shorts, no jersey

stop gatekeeping a dumb hobby

I feel like you’re Making A Point, but bibs (edit: padded shorts or bibs) have an actual function that makes your life better. It’s your numb crotch and rear end tho, so have fun I guess.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 20, 2023

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Padded shorts are the first rec I make to folks to make saddle time more fun but I also rarely ride in anything but street clothes. Bikes are for going places under your own power and having fun. Of course I break out the bib and jersey for Serious Biking but 20 miles in the saddle without padding is fine and I've never been numb. :shrug: (specialized phenom comp btw iirc, don't @ me about having some cruiser saddle)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mederlock posted:

I'm for all of them for whomever wants to. Whoever wants to go nuclear on the fred scale is also doing it right.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Wear whatever you want. I just find Silca aero socks really comfortable. I also find that wearing weather/activity appropriate clothing to be more comfortable than non-appropriate clothing.

Again, wear whatever you want. Being critical of what others wear because it doesn't meet your standard (like thinking "the rules" aren't satirical) just exposes you.

I have a huge self-inflated ego so I think I look amazing in my cycling kit. Doesn't mean I think others should wear thee exact same thing.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 20, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

Being critical of what others wear because it doesn't meet your standard (like thinking "the rules" aren't satirical) just exposes you.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mederlock posted:

You're right, that was a loaded term to use and I should have been more precise and used less opinionated verbiage there, as you say it does belie my bias somewhat. I do agree with everything you said in this post, as you say it's about balancing cost, performance, preference, and longevity.

Fair, I probably came off strong as well. I think people shouldn't feel shamed or pressured into buying the "latest and greatest", you're right it's also just not plain for everyone and their desires. But it's pretty good at least there's some space for these different kinds of parts and builds overall.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

you don't need any clothes to ride a bike. think of the grams

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

A MIRACLE posted:

I like SPDs :(

I basically don't ride dedicated road anymore and really like Giro VR90 shoes for gravel/XC so I'm in the process of trying to sell my old Giro Empire's and maybe my Ultegra pedals too that have been sitting around for like 4 years now.

Whether anyone would want used shoes I dunno but someone out there might bite...they're in good shape, I actually barely wore them!

But VR90's are so stiff anyways if I end up doing a road ride on my gravel bike then whatever

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

you don't need any clothes to ride a bike. think of the grams

Grams vs. aero though - skin isn't aero unless you're remco.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

corona familiar posted:

yeah same. I started using SPD pedals as my first and only clip-in system and when I use bikeshare or a rental bike I find myself trying to ride it like I'm clipped in and my legs get really confused

based on my friends experiences with other pedals and what I've read it seems like SPD is the best compromise pedal for amateur riding where you get the pedalstroke benefits and few downsides. I'd only really switch if I also spent wayy more on a sporty bike with nice components or I somehow started getting seriously into cycling events and needed to optimize further

This is pretty much where I'm at. I'm not going to be doing any road racing so the spd's are the ideal compromise for me. I get to have practical shoes for my half-flats gravel bike, which I can also use on my road bike.

I know a guy who swears by eggbeaters, the benefits seem pretty persuasive but I'm not willing to sacrifice being able to walk around on dirt.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Sorry you’re required to fall over at several lights and then post about to so everyone can welcome to you to the club, which is apparently grown men who have the dexterity and grace of an untreated Parkinson’s patient

Yeah never understood this tbh, I was intimidated going into it but it's been over a year now and I've never been close to falling over even on the easy trails I occasionally ride.

Will never move away from flats on the MTB though cause I have poo poo skills and don't want to die.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I have a Hamm's jersey

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]

Hot Diggity! posted:

I have a Hamm's jersey

I often have hamms ON my jersey...

But my fave is from a single speed focused bike shop in Vegas that just says "SINGLE and FIXED"

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy
I got 25 dollar padded shorts and called it a day.

I would now like to ask why people prefer bibs or padded shorts to just having a padded saddle.

:brainworms:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

PosSibley posted:

I would now like to ask why people prefer bibs or padded shorts to just having a padded saddle.

Padded saddle does nothing but squeeze your soft bits together. Cause longer term issues and problems as you ride longer.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Any opinions on belt driven bikes? I have a lead on a Priority Cooper for very cheap and it’s piqued my interest.

It’s nothing fancy (Nexus 3-speed, steel frame, vbrakes) but seems well put together and I like the idea of not loving with a chain or derailleurs. I know there was a huge fiasco when Ikea tried to sell one of these and the belts kept killing people or something, but Priority seems to have been around for sever years now and seem to have a good reputation.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

PosSibley posted:

if you wear a bib you get to do that pro wrestling thing where you shrug the straps off your shoulders and feel like a badass

I can't find a gif of Vader doing it but it's even better if you're a big boi

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
My favorite biking outfit for anything less than a camping trip involves linen shorts.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shadowhand00 posted:

Grams vs. aero though - skin isn't aero unless you're remco.

Tucking/taping confirmed æro.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bouillon Rube posted:

Any opinions on belt driven bikes? I have a lead on a Priority Cooper for very cheap and it’s piqued my interest.

It’s nothing fancy (Nexus 3-speed, steel frame, vbrakes) but seems well put together and I like the idea of not loving with a chain or derailleurs. I know there was a huge fiasco when Ikea tried to sell one of these and the belts kept killing people or something, but Priority seems to have been around for sever years now and seem to have a good reputation.

I’d test ride if possible to see if you like the feel of IGH. It’s a genuine Gates setup unlike the Ikea, so should hold up its end of the bargain. The Nexus 3 is more likely to be disappointing to you.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Love me a nice quiet road like this, especially when it helps shade you from the winds of Autumn.

PosSibley posted:

AFAICT the logic is that a properly fitting (i.e tight) bib is staying in the same place and covering your bits your bits the same way, even as you inevitably shift around in the saddle a bit when riding.
But idk, I did my first few 100k/4h rides on a hybrid with a "standard" non-padded saddle, wearing regular shorts and underwear (might have been compression underwear - it's been a few years) and was totally fine afterwards, but now I'm used to wearing bibs and would rather not head out for any >1h ride without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The only difference that matters is that the cycling clothes stick to you and rub against your static saddle, instead of your skin doing that against the inside of loose-fitting clothes. And tight clothes help dissipate perspiration by capturing it right against your skin and evaporating it away quickly. In short, :feelsgood: