Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Baron von Eevl posted:

I never really understood Eastern State's haunted house thing even though it's huge. The building is already extremely hosed and unsettling, you don't need to cover it in fake cobwebs and have people dressed in lovely clown costumes jump out, just do unnerving night tours with the lights dimmed.

Eastern States haunted house is so mid. I went once and have to decline someones invite every year now that I’m a philly resident.

There’s supposed to be a few great haunted hayrides in the boonies but those dont do anything for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Deadite posted:

These are the worst. When I lived in Salem my in-laws wanted to go on a ghost tour and the tour guide spent the entire tour talking about how she's "sensitive" and telling us about the presences she's felt at different parts of the town. It was such a letdown

She told a personal ghost story about a ghost waiter (the Mad Waiter) she had at a restaurant in a revolution-era building but it was really clear that the hostess was just saying her server was really pissed at her (the mad waiter) and was not a ghost.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I love horror movies, books, true crime documentaries, morbid poo poo, the whole nine yards, but I hate haunted houses/walkthrough attractions. I'm not interested in an in-person jumpscare simulator, but I would pay to walk through a horror attraction like Halloween Horror Nights without any scare performers to admire the set design instead.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I used to go to HHN in Orlando every year.

It's kinda not worth it anymore. A fast pass is pretty much essential if you want a chance at going through every house plus have time for one or two rides, and the fast pass lines are just as long as the normal lines. The houses have gotten better and more ambitious in ways, and they manage to get cool licenses still.

Unfortunately the crowds are unbearable for me now. I don't mind standing around to wait, I don't mind walking around a lot, but it is now so popular, you're essentially in the horde from World War Z as soon as you're in the park. And most everyone is either a teenager, so they're drunk on hormones, or adults who are drunk on overpriced coagulated bloodbag jello shots; either way, everyone is inept and inconsiderate. Personal space is nonexistent. Being in a dark foggy hallway surrounded by sweaty strangers who jump on you from your front and rear is not the anxiety I'm paying for.

Universal really needs to work on tactics to create a better flow into the houses, but they're making too much money to actually consider the consumer experience now.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5EDZc9lTA4

This looks amazing

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

As someone who is secretly extremely old on the inside, I wish there were more haunted houses that were just “here is a cool old building with creepy stories about it”. I don’t want some rando in a rubber mask to jump at me ; that’s startling at absolute best, more likely just annoying, and certainly not spooky.
Winchester Mansion Night Mode my dude. Creepy as hell and just a little bit hosed.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Feardotcom absolutely STINKS.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

One of the first dates my partner and I went on - before they were my partner, even, but definitely one of those moments where we Knew - involved getting hopelessly lost in an old infamously "haunted" graveyard. They had a plane to catch and it took us half an hour of blindly wandering around before we remembered that Google Maps was a thing and has walking directions. :allears: We would never survive a horror movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Disposable Scud posted:

I know a guy who I think worked on the music for that, but it's not listed on his IMDB. He's also won a bunch of Emmys for a soap opera he's done music for and that's not on his IMDB either so I dunno what's up with that.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Early 2000's had some heinous looking horror films. Lost Souls, feardotcom and They in particular are awful to look at. The Ring smokes so many of them in the looks department alone.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Are there any haunted houses where instead of a guy in scary Dracula makeup popping out to startle you, it's a guy in sexy Dracula makeup

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Are there any haunted houses where instead of a guy in scary Dracula makeup popping out to startle you, it's a guy in sexy Dracula makeup

That's the same thing

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Are there any haunted houses where instead of a guy in scary Dracula makeup popping out to startle you, it's a woman in takarazuka revue Dracula makeup?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

No I live in just a regular house.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The only Dracula I want is the Dracula from Dracula 3000

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Thats Orlock.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Disposable Scud posted:

Feardotcom is one of those movies that made me think at the time "horror is not gonna make it to the 21st century".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Was that the movie where they told you to go to a website at the end

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I did actually see a horror-adjacent movie at TIFF that had a QR code in the credits for a bonus scene.

https://tiff.net/events/the-beast

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hollismason posted:

Nope because there was no way they could get the fear.com domain.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Hollismason posted:

Doesn't the website for The Devil Inside not even exist anymore?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it's a shame cuz Feardotcom (or, as it is shown on screen in the movie, feardotcom.com) is by the same director as the House on Haunted Hill remake, which I will defend as genuinely great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Also a total casting time capsule.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That reminds me of all the QR codes on the walls and poo poo in the background of scenes in Hostel III. Apparently there was going to be a whole thing but they scrapped it at the last second.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Chris Kattan is evergreen, just like his classic SNL character Mr. Peepers.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Deadite posted:

Doesn't the website for The Devil Inside not even exist anymore?

I think it might've been around for at most a year after the movie. There wasn't much on the site that I remember, or it was just that lackluster. I don't think that content even ended up on the DVD release.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We haven't had a haunted house in years in my town but the museum does lantern tours and talks about spooky stuff downtown every year
It always sells out but I got tickets this year, that should be fun if I don't get haunted/stabbed by an addict

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Devil Inside made 100 million dollars.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I'm watching Scream on AMC+ and while I don't think the movie has been edited, there are clearly commercial breaks put into the copy the have available. Every once in a while the screen will just fade to black and then come right back since there aren't actually any commercials.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I like the idea of haunted houses where instead of losers jump scaring you they focus on cool spooky visuals. Like if you were in a room with mannequins, or ambiguous ghost like shapes under sheets, that would slowly and incrementally advance towards you while a slow flashing strobe light reveals their progress with each flash.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would totally be into something like that.

I don’t mind jump scares. When I’m insanely drunk, and sweaty and gross it all clicks and I’m down for it

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

WeaponX posted:

Chris Kattan is evergreen, just like his classic SNL character Mr. Peepers.

It worked for Nope.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

It worked for Nope.

House on Haunted Hill, a reference in Nope, Corky Romano….Kattan is horror royalty

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Zwabu posted:

I like the idea of haunted houses where instead of losers jump scaring you they focus on cool spooky visuals. Like if you were in a room with mannequins, or ambiguous ghost like shapes under sheets, that would slowly and incrementally advance towards you while a slow flashing strobe light reveals their progress with each flash.

Can't do that need to keep the guests moving through the space as fast as possible to keep a speedy rotation or else you won't turn a profit.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Can't do that need to keep the guests moving through the space as fast as possible to keep a speedy rotation or else you won't turn a profit.

That's why I am going to become an eccentric wealthy man and invite six strangers to a rented (haunted) House on Haunted Hill for one night, where I will scare them terribly and anyone who survives until sunrise will receive $10,000.

I call it... THE HOUSE WHERE PEOPLE GOT SCARED!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I absolutely love the haunted houses with folks jumping out and crap. One of the coolest rooms I remember going through in one you would press through some inflatable bumpers, on the other side you were still being pressed on by the bumpers from the waist down but there were only strobe lights and it looked like you were wading through a room filled with body parts. The actors were wailing and flailing around. It was bad rear end and super freaky. It felt like walking through one of the Hell scenes from Event Horizon.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Evil Dead Trap 2 is on a whole different level than the first. This is dark, disturbing and reminds me of a blend of argento, lynch, de palma and maybe some michael mann. I don't love that the film reads as woman has abortion, goes crazy but that might be incorrect, the film is so dreamlike and surreal it's a bit tough to get a grip on its reality. Some great cinematography too. Recommend if you're looking for something dark and weird,