Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Oh I've already played the main game and loved it but if they are like "here you can use Ada's gun and Leon can wear Wesker's stupid sunglasses because you got a B rank or whatever" that would be cool since they already do weird unlockables for other stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wolfsheim posted:

Oh I've already played the main game and loved it but if they are like "here you can use Ada's gun and Leon can wear Wesker's stupid sunglasses because you got a B rank or whatever" that would be cool since they already do weird unlockables for other stuff

Oh yeah I'm hoping for unlockables. As I've said here a couple times, the fact that Shadows of Rose had zero unlockables really sucked. Gimme my infinite ammo Capcom

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Am I blind? I can't find the steam page for Separate Ways, just a news article that it's coming out on the RE4 page.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Martian Manfucker posted:

Am I blind? I can't find the steam page for Separate Ways, just a news article that it's coming out on the RE4 page.

It will likely be there after it's release, on the DLC page.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I finally got the Infinite Launcher just after completing the Ashley Knight segment. I sold my fully upgraded Red 9, Shotgun and Krauser knife to fund it. Also I got the 20% off token from the machine first time.

I definitely needed a sidearm to battle the Novistadors because trying to take down the flying ones at close range with the launcher just blows Leon up. I bought the Matilda because I didn't use it at all on my first play though (Red 9 FTW). I've enjoyed using it with the rapid fire but it's definitely more of a gimmick weapon.

I'm going to try and play the game on Professional next to get the Chicago Sweeper. Will I be able to use the Infinite Launcher? Does it count as a "bonus" weapon or not?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I finally got the Infinite Launcher just after completing the Ashley Knight segment. I sold my fully upgraded Red 9, Shotgun and Krauser knife to fund it. Also I got the 20% off token from the machine first time.

I definitely needed a sidearm to battle the Novistadors because trying to take down the flying ones at close range with the launcher just blows Leon up. I bought the Matilda because I didn't use it at all on my first play though (Red 9 FTW). I've enjoyed using it with the rapid fire but it's definitely more of a gimmick weapon.

I'm going to try and play the game on Professional next to get the Chicago Sweeper. Will I be able to use the Infinite Launcher? Does it count as a "bonus" weapon or not?

Yep, you just need an A rank on Professional. You need to complete a New Game for S+ which unlocks infinite ammo for everything.

Once you unlock the Sweeper you can cheat with your wallet if you want and buy a $3 upgrade ticket which will allow you to unlock infinite ammo for the Sweeper when you get to the merchant. I did that to do my S+ Professional run and it was still a nightmare heh

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Got to the castle and had some fun with the big cannon, I never used it to rescue kidnapped Ashley or shoot a blue medallion before :sicknasty:
Kinda sad there isn't an achievement for either one, though.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Got to the castle and had some fun with the big cannon, I never used it to rescue kidnapped Ashley or shoot a blue medallion before :sicknasty:
Kinda sad there isn't an achievement for either one, though.

They must have really wanted you to get the one achievement the game has for the cannon

by spawning a single Cultist who runs straight towards you after you man it.

Love it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Medullah posted:

It will likely be there after it's release, on the DLC page.

That's weird, right? A friend and I noticed that earlier, and it seems utterly bizarre

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
At least on my screen, SW isn't linked to the main RE4 page on Steam yet, but it is up.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2109300/Resident_Evil_4__Separate_Ways/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looking at the challenge list Looks like "It" is in too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's up :woop:

Now I don't know whether to continue my leisurely main game playthrough first or just give in and play it :sweatdrop:

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Played the first hour or so, up until the first boss. Lot of fun so far, the grapple melee adds a bit of something to the core gameplay tickles me. Ada's voice actor is better? Ish? Than she was in the main game. Few kinda weird line deliveries that made me go ?? but overall not distracting and decent. Luis steals the show.

Will definitely have to look at rebinding the grapple traversal key. Couple times I just wanted to sprint and yeeted myself into the next area instead.

A++ wish it released earlier so I could have played more before bed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man Wesker in Mercenaries is just a hilarious cheat mode.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Now I don't know whether to continue my leisurely main game playthrough first or just give in and play it :sweatdrop:

You're going to want to play the main game first. It's not so much that you'll spoil the story as that you may spoil a couple of the better fights, if that makes any sense.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
And the main game is just really good. You are missing out if you skip any of it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ada officially more polite than Leon for actually replying back to the Merchant when they first meet

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Cleared SW for the first time with a little under 7 hours on the clock. I think it might be a little easier than the main game overall.

The first level is about 10 minutes long, but that's not at all representative of the final product.

It's also a really spectacular showcase of how Ada's voice actress was not the right person for this job. Given that she's a professional actress with a few credits, I'm guessing she wasn't directed well, or maybe had to phone all her lines in over the course of a day or two. She always sounds bored.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Between Ada, Kiefer Sutherland Snake, Chris Pratt Mario, and Megan Fox in MK1, I think it's safe to say video games actors CONFIRMED better than movie actors

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Also yeah I'm at Chapter 4 and I'm seconding that opinion that Ada's VA is just no good in this role. Voice director could've hosed up, shrug, but the end product is middling to bad.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
But it's fun to play, and I'm really digging it. Got too high and stayed up too late playing it, though, and the Black Robe fight in the village was a little surreal with the fog effects.

I like Wesker.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Sounds more like a casting problem to me. She has a very cool deadpan voice but it doesn't feel quite right for Ada.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

Sounds more like a casting problem to me. She has a very cool deadpan voice but it doesn't feel quite right for Ada.

She's just not a voice actor. I get their motivation to cast her, "Hey lets have the actress that plays Ada in the movie be her voice actress too!" but she just doesn't have the range needed to be a good VA. I don't think it's bad, just not great. RE2make was much better.

I do feel bad for how much she gets poo poo on in the fandom though. :(

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So I'm guessing there's lots of unlocks for hardcore and standard ranks from seperate ways to help you tackle professional s+.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

So I'm guessing there's lots of unlocks for hardcore and standard ranks from seperate ways to help you tackle professional s+.

I saw a vague twitter post that I didn't dig into, it looks like the rewards are similar to the main game (unbreakable knife, more powerful melee, cat ears for S+)

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Is there anything you get for beating it that unlocks a bonus weapon or other thing for the main game?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Lol there was movie Ada?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

Lol there was movie Ada?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwTmTyLRJ8k

Spoilers for Welcome to Raccoon City obviously

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

didn't they do that with one of the Anderson movies as well? Or maybe I'm just getting my wires crossed with the VA getting recast for RE6

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ada Wong in the Anderson movies is kinda like Jill in those movies, where's she almost comes off as a cosplayer. But like, a really good one. She has the red dress and a wig to more resemble the game character and everything, but it's hard to play the sultry femme fatale in a movie where the lead is the director's wife playing a Mary Sue. Those films are dumb as hell but they have a real charm, especially as time has passed and we're further away from the cultural moment that produced them, making them more unique as a cultural artifact. As a series it doesn't remotely capture what's great about the video games but it does have a vibe similar to the cutscenes of a lot of 2000s era Japanese games. It just needed more quick zooms with jet engine noises.

Also Capcom should put Alice into the Mercenaries mode and make her stupid OP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM8eTqlN8RQ

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Medullah posted:

She's just not a voice actor. I get their motivation to cast her, "Hey lets have the actress that plays Ada in the movie be her voice actress too!" but she just doesn't have the range needed to be a good VA. I don't think it's bad, just not great. RE2make was much better.

I do feel bad for how much she gets poo poo on in the fandom though. :(

I guess it's just a lot cheaper to hire someone from a d list movie than a real va

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Small note about a missable treasure early on: There's a small key chest in the factory. If you go too far in the plot there it'll kick off a combat sequence that ends the chapter, so make sure you buy a small key from the Merchant before then.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Does Separate Ways have NG+?

BisbyWorl posted:

Small note about a missable treasure early on: There's a small key chest in the factory. If you go too far in the plot there it'll kick off a combat sequence that ends the chapter, so make sure you buy a small key from the Merchant before then.

Lol so just like the base game

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

it's hosed up that krauser is stronger than wesker in mercs

like yeah wesker has the god stun melee and hilarious counter but his not-samurai edge/beretta has a buttcheeks fire rate and don't always stun in 1 hit and he has basically no way to be proactive besides that because he can't force melee and doesn't have an OTG melee so if you kneecap them/shoot enemies and they stumble you get nothing

countering super salvador until he dies fuckin rips though

also its hosed up his melee doesnt send enemies flying 50000 feet horizontally

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fereydun posted:

it's hosed up that krauser is stronger than wesker in mercs

like yeah wesker has the god stun melee and hilarious counter but his not-samurai edge/beretta has a buttcheeks fire rate and don't always stun in 1 hit and he has basically no way to be proactive besides that because he can't force melee and doesn't have an OTG melee so if you kneecap them/shoot enemies and they stumble you get nothing

countering super salvador until he dies fuckin rips though

also its hosed up his melee doesnt send enemies flying 50000 feet horizontally

Wesker can drop a flash bomb to melee all he wants.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Wesker can drop a flash bomb to melee all he wants.

having to rely on flashes is wack lemme chikyo chagi a grounded mothafucka and also do some jake poo poo

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

Is there anything you get for beating it that unlocks a bonus weapon or other thing for the main game?

I haven't cleared the higher difficulties yet, but Ada gets a couple of new costumes and you can put Luis and Wesker back in their old outfits from RE4 '05.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

From what I've seen (googling but trying to avoid spoilers), the unlocks are basically -

Elite Knife - Do all 7 merchant favors (infinite knife once upgraded)
Chicago Sweeper - Complete on Professional with an A rank (infinite ammo once upgraded)
Cat ears and tail - Complete on Professional with a S+ rank (infinite ammo for everything)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Evil Kit posted:

This is fascinating, I ran it on a 2070 super and had none of those issues, ran it on mid settings that my vram and RAM could handle. It's so interesting how so many recent games have run so bad on 30xx and 40xx NVIDIA cards (and equiv AMD cards).

Yeah I ran the whole game on a 1660ti on high ish settings and it never crashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Medullah posted:

From what I've seen (googling but trying to avoid spoilers), the unlocks are basically -

Elite Knife - Do all 7 merchant favors (infinite knife once upgraded)
Chicago Sweeper - Complete on Professional with an A rank (infinite ammo once upgraded)
Cat ears and tail - Complete on Professional with a S+ rank (infinite ammo for everything)

You also get something called the Countess Set for clearing Professional, although I'm not sure what it is. Maybe a tiara/necklace combo?