Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What if my ones turn into zeroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Then it’s already too late

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I gave my deck an undervolt, an overdrive, and 3 turbos

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
How does the deck work with cross-pollinated games? Like Apex and Mass Effect Legendary both launch through Origins on PC, but the store lists them as Deck Verified.

And to take it a step further: what about non-steam third parties? I know people use Heroic for GoG/EGS, but does that work for games that are, for instance, bought and installed through EGS but launch through Origin?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

How does the deck work with cross-pollinated games? Like Apex and Mass Effect Legendary both launch through Origins on PC, but the store lists them as Deck Verified.

And to take it a step further: what about non-steam third parties? I know people use Heroic for GoG/EGS, but does that work for games that are, for instance, bought and installed through EGS but launch through Origin?

It works just like on any other PC, it launches Origin, Epic, Blizzard whatever if that's what's required, and you tap the play button on your screen.

Lutris is the one stop shop for running all the other nonstandard stuff. And it creates the steam shortcuts for you.

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

So... anyone gotten a second deck to use as a controller for their docked deck? Is it as good as it sounds?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TwoStoryHouseCat posted:

So... anyone gotten a second deck to use as a controller for their docked deck? Is it as good as it sounds?

are you okay

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TwoStoryHouseCat posted:

I haven’t tried it, but thought about trying to do that somehow with my wife’s Deck as a controller for mine. I think I’d have to write Bluetooth code, though.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
I'm not interested unless it can act as a Nintendo DS.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I want someone to take a chainsaw and make a functional controller out of a Deck and then ship it to me

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

TwoStoryHouseCat posted:

Other than having slightly longer battery life than a Dualsense, I can't think of any advantages this might offer.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

jokes posted:

I want someone to take a chainsaw and make a functional controller out of a Deck and then ship it to me

I use a Steam Controller and it's basically this. My xbox controller would work better for shooters or whatever, but I basically only play turn-based RPGs and other old-school stuff on the deck anyway.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nah, the steam controller feels like poo poo comparatively and only has one thumbstick. It also has the touchpads in place of the thumbsticks which is a trip

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Squiggle posted:

It diminishes pretty quickly, a few days or weeks depending. Anecdote seems to be the harder you push it, the sooner you lose it.
Welcome to the Deck crew, this is my favorite consumer electronics purchase since my first HD TV.

EDIT: I'm really torn on this Sega sale.

I've got Persona 5, Like a Dragon Ishin!, and Lost Judgement on the wishlist but:
- I own P5 on PS4 (albeit got 2 chapters in, years ago at this point) and still have Persona 4 Golden to start
- I've still got half of Yakuza 0 and Like a Dragon to finish, plus the Yakuza 1+2 remakes in the wings. It sounds like Ishin uses characters from these games, so it'd be a while before I got to Ishin.
- I haven't finished Judgement either

I just need someone to tell me "get persona 5 it's the perfect Deck game" here

Persona 5 Royal owns, the changes vs the vanilla version are worth it. Played the whole thing on a steam deck with no issues, rock solid performance.

Ishin! does use other Yakuza characters, but only the character models, there aren’t any references to the mainline games. It runs ok on a steam deck, not fantastic or anything, but passable

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

OK, hear me out: The Steam Deck controller is connected to the system via USB, right? What if you bought a Steam Deck, carefully removed the controller and put it in a custom 3D printed shell with a standard USB cable?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know there's a lot of Steam Controller die hards out there. I held one back in the day, but never got a chance to use it while playing a game. That was about a decade ago and I remember them having a lot of rubber. How is the rubber on those holding up these days? Rubber loves to break down after a decade.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
The Steam Controller's normal hard plastic, the only rubberised bit is on the thumb stick. The one on mine's held up fine but I haven't used it a massive amount. Definitely not Dual Shock 3/4 levels of getting tacky.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

I know there's a lot of Steam Controller die hards out there. I held one back in the day, but never got a chance to use it while playing a game. That was about a decade ago and I remember them having a lot of rubber. How is the rubber on those holding up these days? Rubber loves to break down after a decade.

My analogue stick is rapidly losing rubber, but I just put a stick cover on it so it's no longer an issue. Everything else on the controller is plastic though so it's all fine, but one of the rear grips only triggers if I really push it in hard and I couldn't see any way to fix it when I opened the controller up, so I'm really hoping I can find a solution to that.

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

The official FAQ says deck can be used as a controller

quote:

Can Steam Deck be used as a PC controller?

Yes, you can connect your Steam Deck to a PC via Remote Play and use it as a controller.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Other than having slightly longer battery life than a Dualsense, I can't think of any advantages this might offer.

I can think of four advantages, L4, L5, R4, R5. Checkmate

The biggest advantage though is never having to go without a deck in my hands

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

One thing about the Steam Controller is that, while it's missing a stick, the trackpads are a lot bigger which makes it easier to maintain fine control. I never really missed the right stick.

CBD Corndog posted:

Persona 5 Royal owns, the changes vs the vanilla version are worth it. Played the whole thing on a steam deck with no issues, rock solid performance.

Ishin! does use other Yakuza characters, but only the character models, there aren’t any references to the mainline games. It runs ok on a steam deck, not fantastic or anything, but passable

Hey, thanks! I forgot about the massive changes to Royal - P5R bought and installed, now I can rush through the first two palaces and catch up to my old save.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TwoStoryHouseCat posted:

The official FAQ says deck can be used as a controller

I can think of four advantages, L4, L5, R4, R5. Checkmate

The biggest advantage though is never having to go without a deck in my hands

It works as a controller through in-home streaming, where it basically works like a Wii U but with a bit worse latency. I wish there was a "controller only" mode.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It does just launch the game on the computer you're streaming from, so you can hold the deck while looking at that screen instead of the stream.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

The latency would still be bad compared to plugging it into a computer to use as a controller directly

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Why you buyin' two
When having one will do
Something's going on
Can I smell yo deck?

:lmao:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

holy poo poo this thing is offgassing. I now get the smell yo deck joke.

How long does that take to work itself out? Because right now yeesh. My wife's sensitive to smells and no way I can use this thing around her until it stops smelling like a tire shop.

If you turn down the TDP (... button > battery icon) it will run cooler and won't blast the fans all the time. So it'll vent a bit less smell. You want TDP on the default max if you're playing like Elden Ring or Cyberpunk.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
FYI: My battery life tanked and the fan went wild playing NMS yesterday. When I checked the settings, it was reset to 60 fps instead of 40, some update, I guess the steamOS Update that caused and then solved issues with sd card recognition must have caused the settings to reset.

So if you notice sudden increased battery drain or noise with a game, check your game settings.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Why you buyin' two
When having one will do
Something's going on
Can I smell yo deck?

:kiss:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

TwoStoryHouseCat posted:

No, but I play my Ally when I'm on the main floor watching TV and I play my Deck when I go to bed.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hopper posted:

FYI: My battery life tanked and the fan went wild playing NMS yesterday. When I checked the settings, it was reset to 60 fps instead of 40, some update, I guess the steamOS Update that caused and then solved issues with sd card recognition must have caused the settings to reset.

So if you notice sudden increased battery drain or noise with a game, check your game settings.

I just started NMS last night, what do you recommend for Steam Deck settings?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NMS has a steam deck preset, no?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Everything except the bottom setting (can’t remember what it was) was set to Standard. It defaulted to 60. It didn’t run poorly, but it was by no means a locked 60. I put it on 30 but even 30 wasn’t locked. Very playable but I was hoping for a locked framerate.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Oddball question.

I’ve got these little usbc MagSafe connectors I habitually use on a lot of crap. Prevents bad poo poo when a cord gets tripped on. Here’s one on a PS5 controller:

Any idea why these don’t work with the deck? Get zero power through them with the deck, but they work for charging all my other usbc poo poo.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
What else are you charging through it? I can’t imagine they’re doing USB Power Delivery through those things so that is probably your issue.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I imagine this will work with the deck https://www.polygon.com/23882885/ipad-orion-gaming-monitor-app-usb-c-hdmi

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My assumption with that little magnetic dongle is its not capable of putting out anything more than basic USB power, so it'll charge controllers and such no problem but something like the Deck might be a bit outside its intended capabilities.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Probably but I would be very wary of the lag. Generally capture cards introduce a decent amount of delay

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oddball question.

I’ve got these little usbc MagSafe connectors I habitually use on a lot of crap. Prevents bad poo poo when a cord gets tripped on. Here’s one on a PS5 controller:

Any idea why these don’t work with the deck? Get zero power through them with the deck, but they work for charging all my other usbc poo poo.

It's probably not up to spec like a really poo poo USB cable. It'll charge your controllers fine, your phone slower than it could, and your laptops maybe not at all.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

That tracks.

Anyone have recommendations for something similar actually rated for this? Dont mind spending a few bucks and the ones I have now have absolutely saved some small electronics from getting flung across the room, either by me being a clumsy oaf or cats deciding to sprint across the room.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

That tracks.

Anyone have recommendations for something similar actually rated for this? Dont mind spending a few bucks and the ones I have now have absolutely saved some small electronics from getting flung across the room, either by me being a clumsy oaf or cats deciding to sprint across the room.

i use these: MoKo USB C Magnetic Adapter, Pack of 2 24 Pins Type C Magnetic Adapter 90°, 8K @ 60Hz Video Output 100W Fast Charge Adapter 40Gbps Data Transfer for Steam Deck Switch MacBook USB-C Devices, Elbow https://amzn.eu/d/gwL1ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tarkus posted:

No, but I play my Ally when I'm on the main floor watching TV and I play my Deck when I go to bed.

Pretty much the same.