Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

ilmucche posted:

I wonder how pilot hits and PSRs for pilot damage work in the simulation. Does a little notification pop up on screen and go "you're unconscious!"

I imagine it probably shuts off any interior sound/light sources and locks the controls, to simulate being blacked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

ilmucche posted:

I wonder how pilot hits and PSRs for pilot damage work in the simulation. Does a little notification pop up on screen and go "you're unconscious!"

It shakes you a lot and makes you do a dirty quicktime event!

if you let the shaking get to you and whiff, clearly you failed

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Or it zaps your neurohelmet really hard so you actually black out

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Space Kablooey posted:

Or it zaps your neurohelmet really hard so you actually black out

The Quikscell ones zap you to death if you're killed.

Just in case.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Well, they would, but that feature doesn't work because the capacitors are all sitting in a box back on Pandora.

Instead the Quikscell simulator just hard-crashes and bluescreens on user death and leaves a glitched out artifacting mess in the simulation that grinds other DI computers to a crawl for a few seconds every time they scan it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SIGPSR

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
An extendable arm with a rubber mallet mounted on the end emerges from behind the command couch and clubs the mechwarrior into unconsciousness.

Funnily enough, IIRC no one has failed a consciousness check yet, be they player or OpFor.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I'm still waiting for orders from one player. There's just under four hours left before the deadline.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scintilla posted:

I'm still waiting for orders from one player. There's just under four hours left before the deadline.

Just sent them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Should've blamed on a glitch in the simulator otherwise. :v:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
River_Bed_[1268]: Turn 4

Smoke curled from the Fusilier Hunchback’s left arm. An ugly black scar marred its forearm, armour plates crumpled and pitted from where Charles’s PPC had bitten into it. He had been aiming for the Hunchback’s centre of mass, but the machine had raised its arm at the last moment, using the limb as a shield to protect its more valuable chest and torso sections. Lowering its arm again, the mech swung around to present its shoulder mount. The Hunchback was a 4H model, one of the many ‘Swayback’ variants that traded the original AC/20 Autocannon for other weapons. The 4H version carried a smaller calibre AC/10, but its longer range meant it could threaten Charles despite the distance between them.

The Hunchback leaned back slightly before opening fire. The shell rocketed past Charles’s Gladiator’s right shoulder and hammered into the ground behind him, sending up a plume of sandy sediment. A grim smile tugged at Charles’s lips. Refit or no, that Hunchback was a genuine threat. The original Hunchback 4G had been designed from the ground up to withstand the recoil from its enormous autocannon, and replacing the main gun with lighter weapons often caused shots to pitch lower than expected. The fact that the pilot had leant back before firing proved that they were familiar with their machine and knew how to compensate for its faults.

As Charles was contemplating his next move a blue flash filled his primary viewscreen. His simulator pod rocked as a boiling lance of charged particles sliced into his Gladiator’s chest, shearing off just over a ton of armour. Moments later a flight of LRMs slammed into the ground around him, throwing up yet more dust and dirt. Charles tsked irritably as Etienne’s Griffin launched itself off the butte it had sniped him from and disappeared behind a larger rock formation to the south. The boy was pig-headed, but he had a good eye.

Charles turned his attention back to the Hunchback, but to his surprise the mech turned away from him and began to lumber towards where Etienne had landed. Why? Charles was more or less isolated, with only Yukiko’s Shadow Hawk able to support him. Surely it would have made more sense to push down towards him, to keep him pinned down and split off from the rest of Sable Lance?

The answer came to him in a flash. “I think that Hunchback must be Etienne’s bodyguard,” he broadcast over the lance’s network. “It’s been staying close to him ever since the simulation began.”

“I noticed that too,” Alexander replied, his voice crackling as weapons fire briefly interrupted his comms. “It makes sense. Their weapons systems complement one other. Stay away, and the Griffin snipes you. Get close, and the Hunchback fills you full of holes.”

Charles frowned as he watched the Hunchback climb out of the riverbed. If the pilot was Etienne’s bodyguard, then sticking close to him made sense. On the other hand, it also meant they might not be focusing their attention on the battle at large. He glanced down at the display showing Sable Lance’s positional data, and pondered how best they could exploit that possibility.

Weapons fire for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Fires PPC at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 9: Hits Left Arm! Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) takes 10 damage to Left Arm, 6/16 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player):
-Fires PPC at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 9: Hits Right Leg! Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) takes 10 damage to Right Leg, 6/16 Armour remaining.
-Fires LRM-5 at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 8: Misses!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 8: Hits Head! Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Head, 3/8 Armour remaining. Pilot Hit!
-Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 9: 5 Missiles Hit! Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Left Leg (14/16 Armour remaining), Right Arm (14/16 Armour remaining), Right Arm (12/16 Armour remaining), Rear Centre Torso (6/8 Armour remaining) and Rear Centre Torso (4/8 Armour remaining).
-Fires SRM-6 at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 9: Hits Centre Torso! Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Centre Torso, 21/26 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 8: Hits Left Torso! Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Left Torso, 15/20 Armour remaining.

--

Weapons fire for Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player); needs 9, rolls 9: Hits Left Leg! Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) takes 5 damage to Left Leg, 8/15 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM-4 at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player); needs 9, rolls 12: 2 Missiles Hit! Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) takes 2 damage to Left Leg (6/15 Armour remaining) and Right Torso (4/11 Armour remaining).
-Fires SRM-6 at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player); needs 9, rolls 10: 5 Missiles Hit! Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) takes 2 damage to Centre Torso (18/22 Armour remaining), Left Arm (8/10 Armour remaining), Left Leg (4/16 Armour remaining), Right Arm (6/10 Armour remaining) and Right Torso (2/11 Armour remaining).

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Fires PPC at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 9, rolls 12: Hits Centre Torso! Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) takes 10 damage to Centre Torso, 16/26 Armour remaining.
-Fires LRM-10 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 9, rolls 4: Misses!

Weapons fire for Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 10, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires SRM-4 at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 10, rolls 3: Misses!

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers):
-Fires AC/10 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 10, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers):
-Fires AC/5 at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 8, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 10, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 10, rolls 6: Misses!

Physical attacks for Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player):
-Kicks Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) gains 11 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Player) gains 15 heat, sinks 15 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) gains 19 heat, sinks 18 heat and is now at 2 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 16 heat, sinks 14 heat and is now at 4 heat.

--

Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) gains 12 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 2 heat.

Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) gains 18 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 7 heat. Overheating!

Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers) gains 8 heat, sinks 8 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) gains 5 heat, sinks 5 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) gains 10 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Piloting checks for Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player):
Missed a Kick: needs 5, rolls 12; Succeeds!

Piloting checks for Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers):
Took 20+ Damage: needs 6, rolls 7; Succeeds!

Piloting checks for Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers):
Took 20+ Damage: needs 7, rolls 5; Fails!
-Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) falls on its right side, suffering 5 damage to Right Torso (15/20 Armour remaining) and 1 damage to Right Leg (5/16 Armour remaining).
-Pilot Jean-Paul Camus must roll a 7+ to avoid a Pilot Hit; rolls 9: Succeeds!

--

Jean-Paul Camus has taken 1 damage this turn! Jean-Paul Camus must pass a consciousness test or fall unconscious!
-Jean-Paul Camus must roll 3+ or fall unconscious! Rolls 7: Succeeds!

Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) attempts to stand. Needs 6, rolls 5: Fails!
-Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) falls on its left side, suffering 5 damage to Left Leg (9/16 Armour remaining) and 1 damage to Left Torso (19/20 Armour remaining).
-Pilot Jean-Paul Camus must roll a 6+ to avoid a Pilot Hit; rolls 7: Succeeds!

Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) attempts to stand. Needs 6, rolls 8: Succeeds!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Small Pilot: Negates ‘Cramped Cockpit’ penalties.

Primary Objectives:
-Defeat the First Decimis Fusiliers (1/6)

Secondary Objectives:
-Humiliate Etienne Decimis (100,000 C-Bill reward)

Next Orders Due: Saturday 23rd 9:00PM GMT.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 20, 2023

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Looks like it's the Fusiliers' Wolverine's turn to be massively exposed without any cover fire!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

And let that be a reminder that Cramped Cockpit suuuucks.

I'm going to round the hill the Wolverine moved behind and keep pouring shots into it.

e:Hunchback's rear is wide open and paper thin, our Wolverine should punish it.

e2: Scintilla, is ammo dumping possible using MegaMek? My right side is looking pretty messed up and I'd rather not suddenly die to an ammo explosion.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 20, 2023

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Given that the Griffin and Hunchback essentially isolated themselves from the rest of the enemy force, this would be a perfect time to slam that Wolvy. Shouldn't be too hard to maneuver around to get shots on it without exposing ourselves to the Hunch's AC, especially from that already battered right side. If I'm reading the map right, 0520 should be out of LOS of the Hunch and Griffin, and the Treb has enough movement to get there and get into short range of all its guns in that right arc.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

That sounds like a plan, the only thing I'm not sure of is if the cactus patches count as light woods (+1 movement)

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Bloody Pom posted:

That sounds like a plan, the only thing I'm not sure of is if the cactus patches count as light woods (+1 movement)

Yep, cactus patches are light woods, so require 1 extra MP to move into.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Bloody Pom posted:

Sorry, misread the map. The hex I thought was 0520 was in fact 0519. Was hard to tell if the numbers were at the top of the hex or the bottom of the hex above it.

Still think 0519 should be safe though. Drew a straight line between the center of 0519 and the center of 1413 where the Hunch is, and LOS seems to clip through the hill at 1215.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

0519's probably my best bet, even if the Hunchback can see it it's out of range of the lasers and the AC/10 is shooting on a +2, making me an unappealing target depending on how the Shadow Hawk or Gladiator behave.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Bloody Pom posted:

e2: Scintilla, is ammo dumping possible using MegaMek? My right side is looking pretty messed up and I'd rather not suddenly die to an ammo explosion.

It is possible. As a refresher, ammo begins to be dumped during the End Phase of the turn the declaration is made. On the following turn, you are limited to only Walking MP, and any shot to your rear arc that lands will trigger an automatic ammo explosion. If you want to dump your ammo as soon as possible, the sequence of events will be like this:

Turn 5 - move and shoot as normal, ammo begins to be dumped during the end phase.
Turn 6 - limited to Walking MP, cannot use any ammo in the bin you are emptying, a shot to the rear will blow you up.
Turn 7 - dumping finishes, move and shoot as normal.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Scintilla posted:

Yep, cactus patches are light woods, so require 1 extra MP to move into.

Those are some big cacti

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Scintilla posted:

It is possible. As a refresher, ammo begins to be dumped during the End Phase of the turn the declaration is made. On the following turn, you are limited to only Walking MP, and any shot to your rear arc that lands will trigger an automatic ammo explosion. If you want to dump your ammo as soon as possible, the sequence of events will be like this:

Turn 5 - move and shoot as normal, ammo begins to be dumped during the end phase.
Turn 6 - limited to Walking MP, cannot use any ammo in the bin you are emptying, a shot to the rear will blow you up.
Turn 7 - dumping finishes, move and shoot as normal.

Good to know. So in short, only dump when I'm sure I'm not going to get some opportunistic metal baby running into my rear arc.

Easy enough, orders in. Moving to 0519 and blasting the Wolverine. If I blow up to a lucky shot, so be it.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 20, 2023

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Gladiator

Question - does 2014 put me in the hunchies rear arc?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Z the IVth posted:

Gladiator

Question - does 2014 put me in the hunchies rear arc?

I'm afraid not - rear arcs are pretty tight.

If you went to 2014 you'd be in the Hunchback's left arc.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nice details with the hunchy pilot adjusting the shot angle to handle the lighter ac

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

e:Hunchback's rear is wide open and paper thin, our Wolverine should punish it.

On it

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Does our WVR even need to move to get a rear shot? It's running hot anyway.

Our TBT isn't looking good. It really needs to not be the only/best opportunity for the enemies for a few rounds.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

Our TBT isn't looking good. It really needs to not be the only/best opportunity for the enemies for a few rounds.

Agree - the TBT's loadout and current armor means it should be hunting Mechs with holes to critseek for now instead of seeking to be first point of contact.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Commando's come to me.

Is it possible for me to shoot at the Wolverine, and then punch the Commando?

Will there be an attack of opportunity if I move or jump before doing either?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Amechwarrior posted:

If I'm working it out right, I should be able to fire the LL and the SRM6 from 1812, give the hornet a swift kick while I'm there, and drop 1 heat point in total. This would put my LL in it's short range band to give me the best chance to hit.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

painedforever posted:

Commando's come to me.

Is it possible for me to shoot at the Wolverine, and then punch the Commando?

Will there be an attack of opportunity if I move or jump before doing either?

no penalties for shooting one thing in the shooting phase and then punching a different thing in the melee phase. you can't punch with arms that fired their arm-mounted weapons that turn, though. kicking's always an option, though, since nothing in our company currently has leg-mounted weapons

no such thing as attacks of opportunity, moving fast to get your defensive Total Move Mod up is cool and good

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The shadowhawk should really ideally not be using it's jumpjets if at all possible. Jump 3 is strictly putting yourself at a disadvantage by giving a larger penalty to your shots than you're imposing on enemies shooting you. In this particular case, walking backwards 5 is a perfectly good move. +2 defensive mod, only +1 to your shots, the commando will need 11s to hit, and your own ppc only needs 8.

The wolverine is a fine target as well. Longer range but it has no movement mod at all so it's easier to hit.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Amechwarrior posted:

Now that I've had a chance to sleep on it, this sounds like my best option. I'm just going to disengage and slip behind the hill for now, and take some free potshots at the Commando. Once the Hunchback's off the field I'll feel a lot better about getting aggressive. I could go after the Wolverine, but he'd be able to retaliate with SRMs and I have a very explodey right torso.

Edit:Also going to dump the ammo in my right torso. Puts me in a tough spot if the Wolverine decides to get aggressive but I'm not going to get a better opportunity to do so, so I'd appreciate it if someone could make themselves a more inviting target. I'm the only one who's taken any serious hits after all :v:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 20, 2023

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

biosterous posted:

no penalties for shooting one thing in the shooting phase and then punching a different thing in the melee phase. you can't punch with arms that fired their arm-mounted weapons that turn, though. kicking's always an option, though, since nothing in our company currently has leg-mounted weapons

no such thing as attacks of opportunity, moving fast to get your defensive Total Move Mod up is cool and good

Well, I have Battlefists, and both weapons are torso weapons. So, y'know, could do both, no worries, I think.

Let's see, what do Battlefists do...

Better punching. Who would've guessed?

I love this 'Mech. Can I keep it?

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Gwaihir posted:

The shadowhawk should really ideally not be using it's jumpjets if at all possible. Jump 3 is strictly putting yourself at a disadvantage by giving a larger penalty to your shots than you're imposing on enemies shooting you. In this particular case, walking backwards 5 is a perfectly good move. +2 defensive mod, only +1 to your shots, the commando will need 11s to hit, and your own ppc only needs 8.

The wolverine is a fine target as well. Longer range but it has no movement mod at all so it's easier to hit.

I think you can only move up to walking MP backwards, and it counts as running for your own to-hit penalty.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Dachshundofdoom posted:

I think you can only move up to walking MP backwards
True enough, but fortunately they're a 5/8/3, so reversing 5 is fine.

quote:

, and it counts as running for your own to-hit penalty.
Nah, walking is walking for to-hit, regardless of forward or backwards.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Ardlen posted:

True enough, but fortunately they're a 5/8/3, so reversing 5 is fine.

Nah, walking is walking for to-hit, regardless of forward or backwards.

lmao I'm dumb and completely forgot about the existence of mechs that are under-jetted. And I was wrong on the other point, so not my finest post overall.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Gladiator

Gonna move to 1620 and alpha strike the Wolverine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wolverine

I'm going to move to 1812, shoot the hunchback and kick the hornet

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Shadow Hawk

I reckon I'll just turn towards the Commando, shooting the Wolverine, and then punch the Commando.

This should be... interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

painedforever posted:

Shadow Hawk

I reckon I'll just turn towards the Commando, shooting the Wolverine, and then punch the Commando.

This should be... interesting.

If you're going to stay put, you don't need to spend any MP (and therefore pick up the +1 targeting penalty for both shooting and punching), just torso-twist. You should still be able to shoot all guns and punch with both hands.