Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Nope. Not always, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If the battery health is 80% or higher you got a very high chance of the Apple employee refusing to do a swap, no matter how much you offer to pay.

The ones that do it probably just don't give a gently caress about rules from on high and you got real lucky.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Aphrodite posted:

It's 100% made for the AOD phones and they just let it also be there for older ones for... reasons.

You can't change that specific clock to "my location", it always has to be a chosen city. That's what the widget is, "Time in City X". You can change it to a few local clock options though.

You can choose what albums the photo gallery uses.
I’m at least glad not to be software locked out of an entire feature that an older phones can do, so that’s an unusual plus!

For the photos,when I checked it just gave me auto-albums like “people” and “nature” and “pets”. I was going to look to double check but apparently standby will only activate on wireless charging and not when charging with a cable and held horizontal, which kind of rules out my use-case for it at the office I guess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It does work with a cable but it also needs to be stable so you can't easily just plug it in and free-hand edit. It's pretty silly.

By default the options are the same auto-populated libraries they made for Photo Shuffle, but you can just long press then hit the + in the top left and add any album you want.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

So far it really seems like Standby was made by people who aren't actually going to use it. Maybe some of these issues aren't the case for newer phones with always-on screens or something but I'm baffled by a few things.
- No option to leave the clock on the screen all the time. Given that Standby only enables when the phone is on charge, it can't be a battery saving issue.
- The default double-widget clock is set to Cupertino and not just "my location". I don't even see a way to set it to just be my current location?
- Requires you staying on charge to change settings, so it's a nightmare to change colours etc. if you're using a wireless (non-Magsafe) charger
- I had no idea what the middle view was since it just kept asking for my passcode. Turns out it's a photo gallery with a clock on it which is nice, but I'd like to be able to set specific albums that are allowed to show up there in case I'm using it in a public place like an office.
- When trying to edit any features, it needs to unlock the phone (reasonable) but defaults to FaceID so either I go through the extra steps to do PIN input, or I tilt my head 90 degrees to look at my phone like a confused puppy.

It's clear this is a feature for AoD + MagSafe specific docking setups, and yeah, lots of bugs.

My Face ID triggers just fine with my phone being used in landscape, though. Maybe only certain models can do this? I have a 13 Pro.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Aphrodite posted:

It does work with a cable but it also needs to be stable so you can't easily just plug it in and free-hand edit. It's pretty silly.

By default the options are the same auto-populated libraries they made for Photo Shuffle, but you can just long press then hit the + in the top left and add any album you want.
Ohhh that sorted it, thanks! Although now it’s stuck in the night time “red” mode even though it’s not even 5pm here and I don’t have any focus on like DND or Sleep that I assumed triggered it to look like that last night.

Corb3t posted:

It's clear this is a feature for AoD + MagSafe specific docking setups, and yeah, lots of bugs.

My Face ID triggers just fine with my phone being used in landscape, though. Maybe only certain models can do this? I have a 13 Pro.
Apparently sideways Face ID came in with iPhone 12.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently the red screen is entirely ambient light and not based on the clock or anything.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Apparently sideways Face ID came in with iPhone 12.

I have a 12 pro and it does not do that

My older iPad Pro does though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xzzy posted:

Well sure but I think the idea is you leave it on 80% for average days and on the ones where you're gonna be off the charger for a longer period you charge to full. Theory being that after a few years the overall battery health is higher and you have more available capacity than someone that charges to 100% every time.
Yeah the smart battery charging helps but it can't account for everything. My use case would be charging to 80% normally and then let it charge to 100% an hour before a night out or something.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I can’t believe it took 17 releases of this OS before they let me set more than one timer.

Finally every cooking fanatic can uninstall that ad-infested multi timer app they got years ago!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I tested the Standby functionality on the Belkin stand and it looks like it works great, in case anyone happens to already own this:

My phone is just a busted rear end 12 Pro Max (I have a 15 pro max coming in a couple weeks) but it's pretty cool, I don't think i would use it because I like a completely dark room to sleep in, but I think it would be cool for some people.

The red does remind me of the Virtual Boy though so that's pretty dope, lol

I have to ask though, is there concern that such a feature would cause burn in? The thing would be on all freaking night wouldn't it? I thought the iPhones had an OLED display? Confusing.

xzzy posted:

If the battery health is 80% or higher you got a very high chance of the Apple employee refusing to do a swap, no matter how much you offer to pay.

The ones that do it probably just don't give a gently caress about rules from on high and you got real lucky.

YMMV but an Apple employee specifically told me about 11 months ago that while they are told to initially refuse the swap, if the consumer insists on it, they are instructed to perform the swap :shrug:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Taima posted:

I tested the Standby functionality on the Belkin stand and it looks like it works great, in case anyone happens to already own this:

My phone is just a busted rear end 12 Pro Max (I have a 15 pro max coming in a couple weeks) but it's pretty cool, I don't think i would use it because I like a completely dark room to sleep in, but I think it would be cool for some people.

The red does remind me of the Virtual Boy though so that's pretty dope, lol

I have to ask though, is there concern that such a feature would cause burn in? The thing would be on all freaking night wouldn't it? I thought the iPhones had an OLED display? Confusing.

YMMV but an Apple employee specifically told me about 11 months ago that while they are told to initially refuse the swap, if the consumer insists on it, they are instructed to perform the swap :shrug:

I don't know if it works different on older phones, but on my 14 Pro, the display only turns on when you look at it or if it otherwise detects motion. Otherwise it's off.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oooh ok!!! that is super interesting and honestly makes it way cooler to me!

The potential seems insane but it may take a while to get there.

For example I would loving love it if they could make a Weather app version of this feature where it shows the animations (rain falling) etc and showed the current weather, and the weather for tomorrow, along with a basic clock. That would be super cool.

As an aside, I wish they had a bigger vision for the Weather app honestly, they bought Dark Sky (which was my favorite weather app, and I used to pay for it) but even though the current Weather app is nice, Dark Sky felt better than the current Apple iteration. I have to admit that it's pretty spiffy, and I use it a ton, but bringing in some more advanced features for weather-heads would be much appreciated.

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 20, 2023

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was meh on the Pro after the announcement but I broke down and ordered a 15 Pro anyway, and a fine-woven case. The case arrived yesterday, it's an interesting design. I wouldn't say it feels cheap, but it's very different from leather, and it does feel kind of fragile. What's most striking to me is how big the camera bump cutout is. Compared to my 11 pro it's probably more than a centimeter bigger in both directions. More than half the width is a hole. And the case itself even has a bump sticking out, lol.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I can’t believe it took 17 releases of this OS before they let me set more than one timer.

Finally every cooking fanatic can uninstall that ad-infested multi timer app they got years ago!

Fantastic, you make me want to upgrade to iOS 17 on this phone that I'm gonna stop using in two days.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Taima posted:

I have the same stand and I’m liking standby mode so far :)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

NFX posted:

The case arrived yesterday, it's an interesting design. I wouldn't say it feels cheap, but it's very different from leather, and it does feel kind of fragile.

Yeah I kind of get that but on the other hand it does feel pretty sturdy somehow? I feel like the rim will get most of the abuse and that’s plastic.

quote:

What's most striking to me is how big the camera bump cutout is. Compared to my 11 pro it's probably more than a centimeter bigger in both directions. More than half the width is a hole. And the case itself even has a bump sticking out, lol.

Yeah I’m a little worried the Anker cube I’ve ordered will work with it. It already has a little gap when put in landscape mode on that silicone ball that you can get to hold the MagSafe puck. Might have to find a different solution for that one, angle seems too flat anyway.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Earlier I ignored a call and clicked on the voicemail icon as the message was being left. The new real-time VM transcription was really impressive!

What's funny though is opened the VM an hour later and the transcription below the message only caught "have a good day" at the very end :lol:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I don't understand why the hell you'd want your time zone displayed on a clock unless you were outside your home time zone?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Snowy posted:

I have the same stand and I’m liking standby mode so far :)

Awesome! I have a real soft spot for when technology gets better later because that happens so rarely, haha.

Between this and Steel Series adding Rapid Trigger retroactively to their Pro keyboards, I hope this is the start of a new trend!
https://steelseries.com/blog/explaining-rapid-trigger-new-steelseries-keyboard-feature-991

:cheers:

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 20, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Standby works, it just keeps reverting back to default settings every couple days. Waking up to the stupid Cupertino clock is annoying.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

- The default double-widget clock is set to Cupertino and not just "my location". I don't even see a way to set it to just be my current location?

Remove the City widget, add a Clock widget in its place. (Or just move the Clock widget already in the stack up.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Every Mac user should buy iMazing, I was trying to clear space on my iPhone and for some reason search turned up apps that didn't exist on the app screen, so I couldn't remove them!

IMazing has a manage apps feature and I found like five apps that were taking up space but weren't even on the apps screen, I was able to see how much room they were taking and by removing them I got like 7 GB more free space, needed because iOS 17 wound up taking about 25 GB more than iOS 16 did..

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Binary Badger posted:

Every Mac user should buy iMazing, I was trying to clear space on my iPhone and for some reason search turned up apps that didn't exist on the app screen, so I couldn't remove them!

That sounds suspicious?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Macichne Leainig posted:

That sounds suspicious?

Sounds like downloading more ram.

How can it do that if every app is sandboxed?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I don't know if this is the right thread for this but I can't think of a better one so here goes:

I recently switched from Spotify to Apple Music (basically just grabbed the Apple One "get everything for ~5 people" plan for the family) and I'm having some trouble understanding how to do some things I did easily in Spotify.

Namely, I would like to generate a playlist based on a current playlist, so I can find new songs for it?

This is trivial in Spotify, there's an entire "generate similar playlist to X playlist" option, but the best I have found on Apple Music is that if you let the playlist keep playing, Apple Music will add songs to the end that presumably correlate with what you were listening to.

The problem is, it kind of loving sucks?

For example my car playlist has several genres of music on it, but when the playlist starts generating songs to play, they're all rap. Which is good, rap is good. But my playlist is like 30% rap, and the suggestions are literally 100% rap.

Any thoughts here?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

IMazing has a manage apps feature and I found like five apps that were taking up space but weren't even on the apps screen, I was able to see how much room they were taking and by removing them I got like 7 GB more free space, needed because iOS 17 wound up taking about 25 GB more than iOS 16 did..

I don't know if it's in 16, but in 17 you can remove apps from the Home Screen. You have to either search to find them, or swipe left all the way and you can see your app folders and a search box for 'App Library' and you'll see everything installed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

Sounds like downloading more ram.

How can it do that if every app is sandboxed?

Well it’s not sandboxed from the management interface like iTunes, so since OP said Mac owners should get it, I’m assuming the software runs on a Mac and isn’t an iOS app.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Well it’s not sandboxed from the management interface like iTunes, so since OP said Mac owners should get it, I’m assuming the software runs on a Mac and isn’t an iOS app.

Oh I completely misread that

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Why would my 14 Pro stop charging at 67%, despite disabling optimized charging for the day? Is this some new change related to 500mA slow charging (computer's USB port) or something?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why would my 14 Pro stop charging at 67%, despite disabling optimized charging for the day? Is this some new change related to 500mA slow charging (computer's USB port) or something?

My first guess would be something relating to the port. Try charging with a proper charger and see what happens.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Wholly disappointed in the finewoven case. It seems like this happens every year but Apple’s promo shot lighting is just so insanely bright that this green case is very, very dark. Also - the material feels like cheap felt and charging $60 for this case is atrocious. Maybe if it was on deep discount.

I miss the old leather cases.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Cozmosis posted:

Wholly disappointed in the finewoven case. It seems like this happens every year but Apple’s promo shot lighting is just so insanely bright that this green case is very, very dark. Also - the material feels like cheap felt and charging $60 for this case is atrocious. Maybe if it was on deep discount.

I keep hearing you can scratch it with your fingernails and it’ll leave a permanent mark you can’t really “massage” out. Not sure how true that is but all the initial impressions from it seem kinda dire.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Taima posted:

Any thoughts here?

It’s going to take a while for Apple Music’s algorithm to do its magic and suggest things with more accuracy. I’d recommend transferring over your Spotify liked songs and playlists and such and loving those playlists/songs, as well as adding them to your music library in Apple Music.

There are multiple apps and websites that make this easy - Soundiiz, SongShift, TuneMyMusic.

This guide goes deeper into making Apple Music recommendations better more quickly as well.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 20, 2023

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Taima posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread for this but I can't think of a better one so here goes:

I recently switched from Spotify to Apple Music (basically just grabbed the Apple One "get everything for ~5 people" plan for the family) and I'm having some trouble understanding how to do some things I did easily in Spotify.

Namely, I would like to generate a playlist based on a current playlist, so I can find new songs for it?

This is trivial in Spotify, there's an entire "generate similar playlist to X playlist" option, but the best I have found on Apple Music is that if you let the playlist keep playing, Apple Music will add songs to the end that presumably correlate with what you were listening to.

For example my car playlist has several genres of music on it, but when the playlist starts generating songs to play, they're all rap. Which is good, rap is good. But my playlist is like 30% rap, and the suggestions are literally 100% rap.

Any thoughts here?

I don’t really have a suggestion for you but Apple Music sucks at suggestions. Took about five to six years in the ecosystem before it started playing things that were 50/50 I’d like. Just be judicious with the hate that button or Siri command, I guess. It’s the one thing I like Spotify over Apple Music for and it’s not even close in that regard.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Cozmosis posted:

I'm not sure I like it. I will see how I feel when I get my phone on Friday and then decide if I want to keep the case. But my concern is more about the feel of the case than the color.

It's certainly green but I do think light makes a bigger difference with this new material. Also the sides are darker which makes the whole thing feel darker.

Compared to a year-old green leather case:

Zero One fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 20, 2023

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I know shipping is a bit of a pain at the moment but I can’t recommend Bullstrap enough. Just plop down $80 right now and forget about it. I promise you won’t be disappointed.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

jabro posted:

I don’t really have a suggestion for you but Apple Music sucks at suggestions. Took about five to six years in the ecosystem before it started playing things that were 50/50 I’d like. Just be judicious with the hate that button or Siri command, I guess. It’s the one thing I like Spotify over Apple Music for and it’s not even close in that regard.

What gets me even more mad about this is that the old Beats Radio (or whatever it was called, I forget) was FAR better than what Apple Music is now. It was baffling at why that happened.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

As always, Rdio was the best and it was gone too soon.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Taima posted:

Any thoughts here?
Sound quality and Apple ecosystem stuff is better and everything else is way worse. That’s all there is to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

As always, Rdio was the best and it was gone too soon.

loving pour one out here every time absolutely.