Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
grifting a government with puppets

edit, oh poo poo bad snipe delete delete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Is there a way to embed reddit images

https://reddit.com/r/UFOs/s/5atnnrwly1

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Oversight committee is going to yell at NASA behind closed doors for a bit

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

sharknado slashfic posted:

Oversight committee is going to yell at NASA behind closed doors for a bit

God drat, I finally did a quote is not edit. Big day for me.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

sharknado slashfic posted:

God drat, I finally did a quote is not edit. Big day for me.

that deserves another quote!

also, some absolute mad(wo)man data sceintist is doing the mummy DNA up:
https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/16niqxp/im_analyzing_the_alien_mummy_dna_so_you_dont_have/

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Bilirubin posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/16niqxp/im_analyzing_the_alien_mummy_dna_so_you_dont_have/

:bisonyes:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

No joke watch this loving show and all of Spencer for Hire if you want and need Avery Brooks to teach you what cool is

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Human.Frank posted:

Here's some new poo poo that can be added to the 'Underwater Bases' lore. The OP of the thread is still adding info a week later in the comments. Big highlights are:
- Octopus people living in the porous earth's mantel
- Jimmy Carter nuked them in '77 (Vela Incident), this is why he cried
- Moon is full of water from when it broke off of the earth, might be moon people up there
- MIC is gearing up for an US or Them hyper war in 2027
- More goofy poo poo!

https://www.reddit.com/user/Nskxbehcidnsjxodvr/comments/16g363p/truth_about_uap_in_light_of_harmful_disinformation/

I was just re-reading this and one of the replies had this article in it: Scientists Find ‘Mountains’, Widespread Structures Near Earth’s Core

Article posted:

The extensive presence of ULVZs at the core-mantle boundary suggests that these zones are ancient seafloors that were pushed into the mantle via subduction around 200 million years ago, a finding that is additionally supported by geodynamic models.

In other words, these anomalous zones that are hidden deep inside Earth may well influence our lives at the surface in countless ways. To pursue these questions, Hansen and her colleagues plan to examine ULVZs further using an expanded network of sensors in Antarctica, while also developing more complex geophysical models. These efforts may unravel the mysteries of these mountainous subterranean regions that may have once been at the bottom of the ocean during the age of dinosaurs.

Reddit Person posted:

As the continents separated, VIOLENTLY not gradually, two entire continents were sucked into the earth for lack of a better term, along with a massive portion of the Earth’s water, more than half. It was during this cataclysmic event the earth’s moon was formed, and that is notable.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Tighclops posted:

No joke watch this loving show and all of Spencer for Hire if you want and need Avery Brooks to teach you what cool is

do NOT i repeat DO NOT take avery brooks class at rutgers if you want avery brooks to teach you what cool is

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LuckyCat posted:

I was just re-reading this and one of the replies had this article in it: Scientists Find ‘Mountains’, Widespread Structures Near Earth’s Core

Sombering

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

quote:

In 2013, Brooks began to narrate the Christian or Abrahamic series The Bible's Greatest Secrets, on the American Heroes Channel, which attempted to use interpretations of events found in the Bible to illuminate new archeological findings and interpretations of history, and to use interpretations of new archeological findings to illuminate interpretations of events found in the Bible.[30] IMDb lists the "Storyline" as: "Unlock the mysteries of vanished civilizations of the Holy Land and the people who built them."[31]

One of us

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/MaryEarnshaw/status/1704524482012905716#m

nyt article [archive.org]

goochtit has issued a correction as of 00:25 on Sep 21, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Bilirubin posted:

I was inspired by this person's Science and decided to do some Science of my own. I was thinking about SpaceGoat using his deck to predict a D&D game's plot, and regarding the cards as a game in general; and I was thinking about how I relentlessly frame it as conversation instead. I think doing this is probably fine, but playing games is more in line with the "nature" of a deck of cards, so there is a line of logic here suggesting games are cards' natural language. And I thought Hey, I bet I can do both at once. And it will be communication practice, but also an Experiment.

Okay bird cards, I said while shuffling. Would you like to play a game? To practice talking and prove once again to me, forever in doubt, that you work and are real? I am going to draw one card and lay it face down. Then I am going to pull three more cards and lay them facedown. I would like for the three cards to tell me what is the first facedown card. (I had in my mind that if I drew first, say, Seven Pentacles, the following three might be a Seven Wands, a Six Pentacles, a Five Pentacles, to signal both suit and value.) Does that sound a little fun? Okay. Here we go.

I didn't take a picture of the first one because this was, at that point in time, an experiment just for me. Before flipping the first/control card I turned the deck bottom up: the card that ends up at the bottom of the deck after I finish handling it usually feels like a statement of its own. Wheel of Fortune. Great. The bird cards are on board. Okay: my control card was Ten of Pentacles ("Oh :)" I thought. "Pinecone.") Now let's see if the following three cards had an appearance of communicating, "Ten of Pentacles," for my prediction/answer. I flip over:

Eight of Swords
Knight of Cups
Five of Wands

Well drat, I think. Wheel of Fortune had seemed so promising. None of those match the control card at all -- not a Pentacle in sight. But wait I think on the heels of that thought, what if I need to read what's not there? Swords, Cups, Wands. The fourth suit being Pentacles, as indicated by our control. Well I guess that counts, but there is a pretty obvious follow up request to make now.

Wow, thank you bird cards, I say. That card was a Pentacles. I appreciate you indulging me but can we do that again? I am shuffling again. I will draw a control card and then you will use three cards to tell me which card I drew, please. I would like you to do so by identifying the number or value of the card, specifically. Thank you.

It occurred to me as I started drawing this might be awkward if my control was a Major Arcana. Well if it was working it wouldn't be. So.

So this one actually really impressed me I will be honest. "Ace" had also crossed my mind as a problem card when making the request, being only technically a number. To think I thought that could stop the bird cards. I also appreciated them using the other two cards to boldface and underline "ACE IS TO 1 AS FIVE IS TO 5." Making it an analogy is the one configuration I, who am forever doubting, cannot rationalize quite so easily into coincidence.

Okay bird cards, I say again, shuffling up again, pretty excited now. Can we do this again? Once more? This is great, thank you so much. For the last one please describe the control card to me. Like -- show me cards that have similar artwork I mean, I guess. Describe the aesthetic, not the meanings, I don't know all of those very well yet. Actually, whatever, I guess. Describe to your liking. However is best for you.

So the last control card -- the humor of it was lost on me at first, I had not yet pulled The Hanged Man and had cause to look it up -- is literally the card for "giving up control." So that's funny. Regardless of that though, I asked the divining cards to show me the artwork of the control card and they seem to have done a fine job there. I don't always read reversals as modifiers, but Three of Cups was reversed in a way that felt significant; I suspected it was chosen for representing aesthetic as well as the actual card meaning, reversed, functioning as an abstract description of the control card itself (possible?).

I was even more impressed than before. The reds and golds of all four cards were striking in the sunlight, that photo doesn't do them justice. I looked at the bottom of the rest of the deck.

I took a picture because it popped up at me like a punchline.

"Ta-da," said the Judgment card, a little sarcastically. "We are Very Magical. We're also done here now."

"Absolutely. I hear you. Done with doing Science. Thank you for all your time. But also, this is amazing, if we can do one more..." I started shuffling --

and suddenly my boyfriend began speaking to me from the kitchen and derailed my thoughts completely. By the time I had laid the cards I had forgotten how I had asked them to identify the control this time. It was just gone from my mind. It still is! I don't know if I have ever forgotten something so aggressively before. Bird cards were very done with the Science / game. Thanks bird cards. Sorry. :)

Putting this post together I noticed Five of Wands managed to show up each reading. I cannot blame my shuffling for this, I shuffled pretty well each round. Conflicting beliefs / ideological disagreement card? That's fair

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 03:59 on Sep 22, 2023

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ludosemiotic cartomancy

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

5 of Wands is the Baltimore card

Seriously though Ravens and a steamed crab are Maryland as hell any idea where the artist is from?

sharknado slashfic has issued a correction as of 01:45 on Sep 21, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

PNW. But I accept your Ravens inference. The common thread of reality is [birds] :hmmyes:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I'm doing a reread of the Malazan books, which is right up this threads alley btw, and there is an in universe tarot called the deck of dragons. There is a group of soldiers that play card games using the deck of dragons and they cheat because the dealer is a "talent" (basically a sorcerer) and he or she always knows what the next card in the deck is because they can feel an affinity for it using the previous card. They use it to win all the other soldiers money but also their games almost always produce accurate prophecy.

I'm probably not explaining it well as it would require several thousand words but it's similar to what you are doing in that post. If you like the more esoteric stuff in this thread I would definitely suggest the series although it's 10 books at almost a thousand pages each so it's quite the investment.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

sitting in our fort, at nite, playing poker w my fellow soldiers in between battles against the invasion. i use my wizardical fingers to win w aces over eights, the “dead-mans hand”. two weeks later, every stagehand, coach-hand, etc in the county is dead, or dying, by diverse calamities, from disease to disaster to disinhibition. only i understand why

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

PNW. But I accept your Ravens inference. The common thread of reality is [birds] :hmmyes:

It's true, bird team supremacy is real.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

D-Pad posted:

I'm doing a reread of the Malazan books,

:same: I’m on reapers gale

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
thanks to this thread I accidentally used "NDT brained" as a pejorative in my weekly therapy session. lmao

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

sombering

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

A normal alien after one marijuana cigarette

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Winkle-Daddy posted:

thanks to this thread I accidentally used "NDT brained" as a pejorative in my weekly therapy session. lmao

This is awesome. Did they ask what it meant?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Inspector Hound posted:

A normal alien after one marijuana cigarette

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

D-Pad posted:

No, they just scribbled furiously for like a minute straight.

Probably fine.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/LiberationTimes/status/1704621084497027378?t=CXzE27gKsorRGfL0CZWU1A&s=19

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
e: ^^^ it's so loving stupid that Matt goddamn Gaetz is one of a handful of people who has allegedly seen some of the best UAP visual evidence. that's so stupid on so many levels and I hate it.

D-Pad posted:

I apologized and proactively explained it meant kinda being dismissive of anything but methodological naturalism to a fault and I'm not really sure she understood. she's new as my therapist so there's going to be a lot of fundamentalist upbringing she's going to get to unpack eventually. she'll get it.

Winkle-Daddy has issued a correction as of 05:02 on Sep 21, 2023

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Rickshaw posted:

it always bothered me how none of it lines up with parabola. seems like totally unrelated visuals played over the song, moreso than their other videos.

Yeah I think the themes fit, but they probably had the concept in mind before matching the song to it, as opposed to being inspired by the song. It's probably my favorite music video of all time though.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

I don't know if anyone watched this movie, but it was, once again, quite mind bending and as close as a proof of paranormal activity as you could get. Also like in Hellier, there's a surprise intervention of the Trickster at the very end, almost like a plot twist saying "yup, it's all real and it's all me!"

!spoilers about the movie and my interpretation of the events regarding the metaphysics of the paranormal!
It's the story of a VERY haunted object they receive in the mail that is so powerful and creates so much chaos that they have no choice but to communicate with it to understand what it wants. There are dozen of incidents that are clearly paranormal, some even caught on camera or using electronical equipment. Eventually they discover it's a Slavic house spirit called a Kikimora that has been trapped and bound to a statue to get rid of, probably by members of an Ukrainian community close to where the statue was found. After the reveal you go back to everything that happened with the statue and it's literally 1:1 the description of a swamp Kikimora. They do an unbinding ritual and free her, and the exact moment the ritual is complete, all the coyotes in the area start howling together for some time.

I couldn't help but think "that's the Trickster and it's telling us that we create these entities through our beliefs, just like chaos mages do consciously, and other esoteric traditions do unconsciously. These entities are real and have a life of their own. Old deities are real, creatures and spirits of all folklores are real. We do magic all the time and populate/feed the Sacred with our beliefs. The Sacred is the realm of these entities. Liminality is where/when they can reach us. Symbols are the language they use. The Trickster/Hermes is the guardian of these liminal spaces/times and the doorman/psychopomp between our world and the Sacred". Basically we were right and it's all real. Also liminality is increasing worldwide, people are being moved, there's increasing instability, boundaries are blurring, our future is becoming always less certain. This means the window for the paranormal to come here and communicate with us is increasing (UFOs included), and that we should listen to what they have to say, most likely related to us destroying the planet we are standing on, losing our connection to the Sacred because of materialism and technology, and how we should work on becoming less divided as we move from a group/national framework to a global one.

e2: I have a feeling alien encounters fall in that category too and serendipity led me to this:
Kaggen is a demiurge and folk hero of the San people of southern Africa.He is a trickster god who can shape shift, usually taking the form of a praying mantis :lol:

I highly recommend watching it, either if you are a NDT-brained person who wants to challenge their belief system, or simply if you enjoy the woo and wants a great, spooky story about folklore and magic.

e: also there's something fun that seems to become like a consistent theme in their movies, and that's the idea that Greg Newkirk is like a reincarnation/new game+ of Robert Kirk, a Gaelic scholar and folklorist who wrote a book giving away the secrets of faes, ghosts, witchcraft and other folklore beliefs (and legend says he paid a heavy price for this). But here it's almost like the phenomenom actually uses Newkirk and points him to interesting cases in hope of reaching a wide audience and let itself known to the public, maybe clearing some misconceptions in the process.

SpaceGoatFarts has issued a correction as of 14:42 on Sep 21, 2023

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

new type of UAP in the wild

https://i.imgur.com/NHWwxMt.mp4

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
hardly new but still great

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7015269416573177093

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRcHSe0E0tk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnGbInxL92M

e: we could probably invent a new form of divination using the flight of tents instead of birds and call it tabernulagury

SpaceGoatFarts has issued a correction as of 10:28 on Sep 21, 2023

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

Here we go again, uapmax guy sets himself up for disappointment.

https://twitter.com/UFOS_UAPS/status/1704618173981442558

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

"I've seen orb pics."

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

helta posted:

Here we go again, uapmax guy sets himself up for disappointment.

https://twitter.com/UFOS_UAPS/status/1704618173981442558

lol this joker is always talking to people on Skype

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

D-Pad posted:

I'm doing a reread of the Malazan books, which is right up this threads alley btw, and there is an in universe tarot called the deck of dragons. There is a group of soldiers that play card games using the deck of dragons and they cheat because the dealer is a "talent" (basically a sorcerer) and he or she always knows what the next card in the deck is because they can feel an affinity for it using the previous card. They use it to win all the other soldiers money but also their games almost always produce accurate prophecy.

I'm probably not explaining it well as it would require several thousand words but it's similar to what you are doing in that post. If you like the more esoteric stuff in this thread I would definitely suggest the series although it's 10 books at almost a thousand pages each so it's quite the investment.

Too many words. Witness!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Ben Nerevarine posted:

using transformers we could train an AI model to translate between English and dolphin speak, same as we’re able to do so to translate from English to Chinese or any other language. problems are 1) we lack the huge amount of clean dolphin speak we’d need (this is surmountable) 2) and, this is the much bigger problem, we have no idea if dolphin speak overlaps the same conceptual semantic space as human languages do

Aza Raskin has a non-profit called Earth Species Project working on this very thing—I think they’re focusing on two specific species of dolphin and bird—but it’s a very difficult problem. still, I think we could see something come out of it in the next few years

also different dolphin groups probably have different languages