Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

rahm eshammuel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Japan should give him a blacksite on Okinawa so he can feel at home

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

FrancisFukyomama posted:

a random aside but I accidentally clicked on the Epstein thread which I hadn’t in a while and just learned about how Okinawa used to be where the U.S. stored sarin gas that they used to kill American defectors in Laos during the Vietnam war. and the real crack ping is that this came out because of mainstream journalists doing actual investigative reporting on CNN in 1998. the network later retracted the story and fired the reporters despite asserting themselves that the reporters in fact did not say anything false. free speech!

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Isn't rahm one of Obama's buddies, and super corrupt

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

FrancisFukyomama posted:

weird way to spell "military base"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Not So Fast posted:

can you be both of these at the same time?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/hodgetwins/status/1704539029188845753?t=Prxuuf-IkxWLbu4zsZecdg&s=19

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

on the morning news here in america today i heard: “ok, so china isn’t helping the russians, but why aren’t they speaking out more against putin? what do they think they’re doing?”

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

legit took me a minute to realize this comic wasn’t pro-china

“why isn’t china worried about global warming”
“because they have a government capable of doing something about it”

Herbert Stencil
Aug 25, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

3 posted:

it's not? the only read i can get off of it is that communism is the form of government capable of utilizing clean energy and maknig progress against climate change, and does so to such a degree that the problem is not so pressing as it is for a capitalist country

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

3 posted:

It's impossible to read it any other way!

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

I want to meet this group of people still wearing N95s

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Who says China isn't concerned about global warming? Just pull random poo poo out of your rear end.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

corona familiar posted:

Its because I am ugly.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

corona familiar posted:

Hello

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Tankbuster posted:

Its because I am ugly.

:hmmno:

:sadpeanut:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

stephenthinkpad posted:

Who says China isn't concerned about global warming? Just pull random poo poo out of your rear end.

They think installing as much renewables as the rest of the world combined doesn't count.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Seriously this, I honestly don't get what they're trying to say otherwise

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ikanreed posted:

They think installing as much renewables as the rest of the world combined doesn't count.

their heart isn’t in it

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

gradenko_2000 posted:

The intended reading is "global warming is a hoax to install communism"

Man I want to live in that world.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

ikanreed posted:

Look if your not making feel good social media campaigns about global warming and setting toothkess government initiatives, then you just don't care about global warming.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

fart simpson posted:

their heart isn’t in it

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

ikanreed posted:

The intended reading is "global warming is a hoax to install communism"

Man I want to live in that world.

through a constant shifting of rhetorical focus, communists are both gormless NEETs with weirdly colored hair who collect genders like Pokémon cards and also an omnipotent shadowy cabal represented ironically by rich people who have the terraforming technology equivalent of the "disaster" button in simcity

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
my most enduring memory related to Rahm Emanuel is from 2013, when I was in Chicago as a delegate representing my local for a union convention

we were at a social in the evening after session one night and boozing it up a bit, and this extremely old man, 80s probably, got drunk off his rear end and went outside and started shaking his fist at the police surveillance camera outside (those were already omnipresent in Chicago at the time), and screaming various detailed and specific threats of violence against Rahm Emanuel and daring the police to do something about it, until people finally came and dragged him back inside

the one that has stuck in my mind ever since was 'we're gonna string Rahm Emanuel up on meat hooks!'

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I would actually like to know how China thinks about climate change. is it like, yeah we’ve mastered the productive forces, we’ll fix it… or gently caress the us for ruining everything? something else? I assume it’s not the insane doomerism that infects the english world

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

crepeface posted:

my impression is it's a lot of drama over something that will be ignored by the sitting government at best and at worst something that will be used by the most conciliatory faction of native peoples to discipline the radicals. kinda like the black caucus in USA maybe?

more info:

I think you will find that the referendum is not failing because it is a badly communicated nothing measure but because of :siren: Russian Disinformation :siren: and Vladimir Putin

https://www.smh.com.au/national/anti-voice-rallies-organised-by-pro-putin-conspiracy-theorist-20230919-p5e5zc.html

quote:

During the pandemic, Boikov expanded his following through the sovereign citizen and anti-vax movements. He now regularly invites Indigenous sovereign groups to perform Welcome to Country ceremonies at his pro-Russia rallies, claiming that all Indigenous Australians support the invasion of Ukraine.

Indigenous groups have held recent events at the Sydney Russian consulate, where Boikov has been holed up since December to avoid jail time for assaulting a 76-year-old man at a rally in support of Ukraine at Sydney Town Hall.

Last month, Boikov took a poll on his Telegram channel inviting followers to vote on which issue the freedom rallies should focus on next, suggesting everything from “NO to the Voice” to “NO to NATO”.

The Svoboda Alliance – Russians in Australia who oppose Putin’s invasion of Ukraine – said pro-Kremlin influencers were “using First Nations people to promote their messages”.

“Looks like the Kremlin believes that voting No will undermine the Labor Party and the prime minister,” Alliance spokesman Ilya Fomin said.

The Voice debate ticks all the boxes for a foreign adversary looking to sow division in Australia, he said. “It’s about race; it’s polarised. They look for any fissure, any crack, to make it worse.”

When the Black Lives Matter movement took off in the US, researchers discovered Russia had waged a covert and sophisticated campaign to inflame division.

This is my inner liberal talking but I do think it would be better if yes won since all the outright nazis are no voters (even though people who believe in a kinder gentler fascism vote yes) and I would expect a no vote to empower them more. It is for sure a nothing measure that won't directly help anyone no matter the outcome though

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think China will deal with sea level rise as an engineering problem. But I have never come across any mention of government advisory to build higher first floor or min height for coastal highways or anything.

However, coastal China already gets way more seasonal typhoons than US coasts due to the monsoon so maybe their building and sewage are built to different standards.

I also think China will get alot of sea level prevention engineering business overseas before they have to do it at scale at home.

As for greening the desert that gets progressively warmer, China is doing it.

In other words, yeah its engineering problem. China's oldest founding myth was based on flood control legends, not carrying the animals to far away land legends.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

corona familiar posted:

things no one says like "I want to talk to a vegan"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

This is my inner liberal talking but I do think it would be better if yes won since all the outright nazis are no voters (even though people who believe in a kinder gentler fascism vote yes) and I would expect a no vote to empower them more. It is for sure a nothing measure that won't directly help anyone no matter the outcome though

yeah, that's where I'm leaning too. probably no one but the biggest political nerds even knows there's a leftist 'no' position and the Voice not passing is likely to be spun in a way that would make things worse

edit: I need to talk to my cousin about this who is one of the least political people I know but has apparently done a lot of research so I'm curious what she thinks.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1704791351106372086?s=20

lol

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Not So Fast posted:

yes, and his brother is a Hollywood bigwig who is CEO of the company that owns MMA and WWE

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

3 posted:

the joke is that china doesn't have to pretend global warming is real as part of a plan to implement communism because they're already communist. it's dumb chuds humor

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 minutes!

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

crepeface posted:

yeah, that's where I'm leaning too. probably no one but the biggest political nerds even knows there's a leftist 'no' position and the Voice not passing is likely to be spun in a way that would make things worse

edit: I need to talk to my cousin about this who is one of the least political people I know but has apparently done a lot of research so I'm curious what she thinks.

I'm voting no and found that the black peoples union aligns with my analysis.

This is not a short article but I ask in good faith you give it a good, dedicated read.

https://www.blackpeoplesunion.org/articles/conning-us-into-recognition

I've been talking to Yes supporters intensely for weeks now whilst serving the people, last weekend especially because there was a Yes rally immediately before the street kitchen started, and everything we hear is emotional.

Bald Stalin has issued a correction as of 11:59 on Sep 21, 2023

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

eSports Chaebol posted:

a random aside but I accidentally clicked on the Epstein thread which I hadn’t in a while and just learned about how Okinawa used to be where the U.S. stored sarin gas that they used to kill American defectors in Laos during the Vietnam war. and the real crack ping is that this came out because of mainstream journalists doing actual investigative reporting on CNN in 1998. the network later retracted the story and fired the reporters despite asserting themselves that the reporters in fact did not say anything false. free speech!

I made a post about that a few months ago in the Epstein thread.

Despite there being evidence here and there, like the retracted CNN expose, it wasn't officially confirmed until a decade ago when documents related to the clean-up project were declassified.

They stored VX and Sarin as 'deterrents' against North Korea or China using nerve agents. Though there's fairly credible evidence that they had used it during the Korean war, and the Vietnam war.

They also stored the same nerve agents in West Germany until the collapse of the USSR.

Operation Red Hat was the name of the Okinawa clean-up. Operation Steel Box, alternatively known as Operation Golden Python, was the German clean-up. The latter wasn't kept secret AFAIK, it was a major project involving secure movement over rail and sea to bring them to the Johnston Atoll where they were dumped along with all their other decommissioned nerve agents.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This is a problem, considering the travel back and forth

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Looks like Joe making deals with Iran too

https://twitter.com/YWNReporter/status/1703763187328246002?t=23fuGpwNB5eZRQiXU36IaQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/EFxScout1League/status/1703780747285242111?t=u9cNuDvgYBiswd96hzITdw&s=19

I wonder what the Persians throw in the pot besides the prisoners. I scanned a few articles, I don't see what else Iran agree to. Maybe Biden just want Iran ship more oil to lower the gas price.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 12:18 on Sep 21, 2023

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

This is a problem, considering the travel back and forth

time to pick a side, king or country

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So the SK opposition leader who lost the presidential election to Yoon for like a hair is doing a fasting marathon, 2 weeks plus and counting, and then the opposition controlled parliament agreed to lift the immunity so Yoon can arrest him, on corruption charge I guess and also force feed him.

South Korean lawmakers vote to lift hunger striking opposition leader’s immunity to arrest

Everything about the SK politic is so K-drama. I am not sure how big of a deal it is, but I guess it warrant a post.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

fits my needs posted:

time to pick a side, king or country

India is a republic, I'm throwing in with Canada, all the way to the Sutlej.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

So the SK opposition leader who lost the presidential election to Yoon for like a hair is doing a fasting marathon, 2 weeks plus and counting, and then the opposition controlled parliament agreed to lift the immunity so Yoon can arrest him, on corruption charge I guess and also force feed him.

South Korean lawmakers vote to lift hunger striking opposition leader’s immunity to arrest

Everything about the SK politic is so K-drama. I am not sure how big of a deal it is, but I guess it warrant a post.

They also votes to oust the prime minister. But I don't think it will work.

quote:

Separately the opposition-controlled parliament voted 175-116, with four abstentions, in favor of Han's dismissal. The Democratic Party submitted the dismissal motion to the parliament Monday, hours after the prosecution sought an arrest warrant for Lee, accusing the prime minister of serious incompetence as chief of the Cabinet and holding him responsible for President Yoon Suk Yeol's policies.

It was the first time a dismissal motion against a prime minister passed through the National Assembly.

Yoon is widely expected to reject it.

The Democratic Party has passed two dismissal motions since the launch of the Yoon administration -- one against Foreign Minister Park Jin and another against Interior Minister Lee Sang-min. Both were rejected by the president.