Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I dress like a girl and drink like a man. Please date-rape me.
As a compromise the P6 MC will be a cool calm blade-wielding high school girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its hard to conflate any one game's numbers out to a generalized statement because games handle these things differently. for instance, in mass effect's case, male shepard was on the box, he was in all the marketing, most of the discussion about the game was the alien ladies you could gently caress, etc. the vast majority of players buying the game choosing the thing the game told them they bought the game for is not really a surprise. the number of people picking femshep being low isn't some condemnation of sexist gamers, its a result of how the game is and how it was marketed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for a counter example, most FF14 censuses say that the majority of characters at level 90/have cleared the MSQ/are active/etc are female. (taking all characters total gives misleading results because bots are just slampicking default human male)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

for mass effect isn't it also the case that in ME1 and 2 the only way to play without dealing with the unavoidably crappy CaC tools was to play default maleshep, with femshep only getting a custom default in ME3 (and then the LEs of 1/2)?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

its hard to conflate any one game's numbers out to a generalized statement because games handle these things differently. for instance, in mass effect's case, male shepard was on the box, he was in all the marketing, most of the discussion about the game was the alien ladies you could gently caress, etc. the vast majority of players buying the game choosing the thing the game told them they bought the game for is not really a surprise. the number of people picking femshep being low isn't some condemnation of sexist gamers, its a result of how the game is and how it was marketed.

I never said it was. I said "people slampick Generic Male Lead given other options" and at least part of that is that people slampick whoever the very first option is in the game, which is also why Generic Shepard is also Soldier. I suppose I could have said "slampick the generic default lead" but that is almost overwhelmingly a man or male-presenting character. (Though some developers have said they tried defaulting to female characters and saw an uptick there!)

It's less that people won't play a female lead and more that if you present an option as default the default option is going to get picked a whole loving lot of the time. That doesn't mean having choices isn't worthwhile and can't be a selling point.

Endorph posted:

for a counter example, most FF14 censuses say that the majority of characters at level 90/have cleared the MSQ/are active/etc are female. (taking all characters total gives misleading results because bots are just slampicking default human male)

Yep, I was actually about to bring that up, because it brings up the interesting idea that most of the census data we have is generic as opposed to hardcore players. (though it being an MMO and Fantasias and so-on all complicates matters further.) People who devote a lot of time to a game are probably more likely to care about character customization in general.

Motto posted:

for mass effect isn't it also the case that in ME1 and 2 the only way to play without dealing with the unavoidably crappy CaC tools was to play default maleshep, with femshep only getting a custom default in ME3 (and then the LEs of 1/2)?

Not that I've heard. The CAC sucked but even aside from that Soldier was overwhelmingly chosen because it was the default option.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 20, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

Okay. Let's rephrase this.

Consider you admittedly you would be playing P3R via Gamepass (which still counts as playing it because the success of games influences the expected buy-in for them from X-Box, something we know from the leaks earlier this week), do you genuinely think there is a significant number of people who are going to play P3R with a female MC who will not play P3R without the female MC? Like genuinely? I am certain there are some but I genuinely don't think it is a statically significant number.

And for point #2:
Does me stating that mean that I don't want to see the female MC, don't like the female MC, or wouldn't be happier if she was an option in the game? Or is it me stating something entirely reasonable despite it not being something I personally am happy with the answer to? Do I have to be 'rushing to the defense' of Atlus to state that, yeah, as much as I want to see the female MC I think it is not something that a bean counter is going to consider worth the cost it would take to impliment.

Because most of what you say reads to me as going "You just don't WANT a female MC and defend Atlus against anything" and not, you know, me acknowledging that what I want isn't going to get in the game despite me wanting it.

See, like, here's the rub: I don't care about the amount of money it would cost. I know that sounds glib, but I should not be expected to care about Atlus' financial stake in this game. People are stating it's "too much work" like it's the only answer that matters, and on some level it is, they're right. But I'm not satisfied by it, because my problem is that they're continually marginalizing some of my favorite parts of this game and treating them as worthless, or at least dispensable. The amount of money and work it would be to include is irrelevant to that criticism. It presupposes a world where this game had to exist, and I don't think that's true.

The other thing is that you're inadvertently arguing for there to never be a female protagonist in Persona ever again. I'm not saying you're sexist, I'm just saying that's what you're arguing. Hell, you could extend it to any game ever, at that rate. If 75% of players or more are going to choose to play as dudes, and many will choose not to buy it if forced to play as a woman, then why do it? That may seem specious, but that's the line of argument you're pursuing here, and unfortunately it seems like the suits agree with it. And to me, that seems like a really lovely thing to just take as a given. It makes the future of this series seem really bleak if people can't even imagine anything but another male teenage silent protagonist for fear of upsetting the sales figures.

Besides that, I think all the poo poo you're putting in my mouth is ridiculous and I obviously did not say and do not agree with any of it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Motto posted:

This is 100% the case, there was no "default" Femshep in the original releases, and the custom characters all looked terrible

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

See, like, here's the rub: I don't care about the amount of money it would cost. I know that sounds glib, but I should not be expected to care about Atlus' financial stake in this game. People are stating it's "too much work" like it's the only answer that matters, and on some level it is, they're right. But I'm not satisfied by it, because my problem is that they're continually marginalizing some of my favorite parts of this game and treating them as worthless, or at least dispensable. The amount of money and work it would be to include is irrelevant to that criticism. It presupposes a world where this game had to exist, and I don't think that's true.

The other thing is that you're inadvertently arguing for there to never be a female protagonist in Persona ever again. I'm not saying you're sexist, I'm just saying that's what you're arguing. Hell, you could extend it to any game ever, at that rate. If 75% of players or more are going to choose to play as dudes, and many will choose not to buy it if forced to play as a woman, then why do it? That may seem specious, but that's the line of argument you're pursuing here, and unfortunately it seems like the suits agree with it. And to me, that seems like a really lovely thing to just take as a given. It makes the future of this series seem really bleak if people can't even imagine anything but another male teenage silent protagonist for fear of upsetting the sales figures.

Besides that, I think all the poo poo you're putting in my mouth is ridiculous and I obviously did not say and do not agree with any of it.

So here's the other rub: People are not discussing your viewpoint of the world. You went in going aggro at people who were discussing things divorced from their own personal feelings about things. Nobody is obligated to frame their discussion around what you personally care about or pretend like other factors don't exist.

Here is my personal feeling:
I think the FemMC is cool and I think she should be in the game regardless of cost, difficulty, or consequence. If I had my way this would be true of every Persona game and also Persona games in general would be better in a lot of other ways too. I think it is genuinely disappointing that FemMC is not in P3R and it makes me less excited for the game in general.

Here is what I was saying outside of my personal feelings.
Persona 3: Reload (TM) is a game being released by a for-profit mid-tier company whose primary goal is to turn as much of a profit as they can off the video game they are releasing. The for profit company who is releasing the game has reasons to believe that investing the time, money and effort into a second campaign for their RPG remake is unlikely to turn a reasonable benefit. I am not happy about this but this is the state of the world and acknowledging that this is the state of the world is not condoning it.

It is not defending Atlus, nor agreeing with Atlus, nor condoning Atlus to go "This is why they made this choice, it sucks and I am unhappy with it, but I am not an Atlus corporate bean counter whose beginning and end of care about the Persona series is if they can sell 5 more copies if they include 22% more homophobia."

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

How much merch of FemC are they going to not be able to sell because she’s not in the game and would that be enough to counter the extr cost

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

How much merch of FemC are they going to not be able to sell because she’s not in the game and would that be enough to counter the extr cost
i dont think they ever made merch of femc for p3p tbh

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

coiol posted:

As a compromise the P6 MC will be a cool calm blade-wielding high school girl

:yeah:

I'm ready to have the same conversation once we get news of P6 out in a few more years too :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Like poo poo, you want a controversial opinion?

I dislike the choice made to give players control over the NPCs in P3. I think it has a net negative impact on how the game plays and even if it is still an option the fact that the game isn't designed around it means the NPC AI is inherently shittier by default because it isn't something the players have to design around. I would have much rather that Atlus went back to that for P3R and actually put the time and effort into making it a more significant and involved gameplay mechanic. I also think the Answer is poo poo in both gameplay and in what it does to the story and genuinely dislike FES more than the original because of it despite the other improvements made to FES, and I think it doesn't belong in the game at all.

I am not going to go "Atlus is a bunch of shitheads for including player controlled characters and you have to be an Atlus apologist to state otherwise" because while that is my opinion I am well and perfectly aware that "you can control your character and don't have to risk dying to an NPC misaction" is a significantly greater selling point than thematic tone and relevance. The fact I don't agree or think it hurts the game's tone and feeling in a negative way in favor of easier success doesn't mean I think anyone who disagrees is shilling for Atlus.

Give me a P3 where your party members actively suck at first. Have them start to learn teamwork as the plot/SLs progress. Maybe give the protagonist some way to give them directions but they might disagree or refuse to listen and you have to deal with that. Make it somewhat predictable (Junpei will try to constantly attack when he's being a pissbaby about not being the leader, Ken just flat-out won't heal Shinjiro, Akihiro will go for risky attacks, etc) and then have that smooth out as the team builds. Encourage the main character to have a diverse selection of different Persona to deal with the various flaws of their party members where being a support/healbot is as valid because Akihiro hits like a truck but you need to keep slapping an Elemental Wall on him. Make Koromaru a reliable party member, maybe even the only one you can directly order, but you have to train him in social links.

I know nobody but me would play this game but I would love it and feel it is more true to the spirit of P3 than Fes or even PSP.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 21, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dude, I've been trying to be even-handed this entire time after, admittedly, a poorly-worded vent, and you've been a condescending rear end in virtually every response, so maybe get off the high horse.

And the point I was making in that vent is that saying "it would be a lot of work" is a pointless, empty response that addresses nothing about the underlying issue. It's just rubbing it in. That was the core of my issue with the conversation, not whatever you invented.

ImpAtom posted:

I am not going to go "Atlus is a bunch of shitheads for including player controlled characters and you have to be an Atlus apologist to state otherwise" because while that is my opinion I am well and perfectly aware that "you can control your character and don't have to risk dying to an NPC misaction" is a significantly greater selling point than thematic tone and relevance. The fact I don't agree or think it hurts the game's tone and feeling in a negative way in favor of easier success doesn't mean I think anyone who disagrees is shilling for Atlus.

Like, loving chill

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 21, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh as an outside observer i think you could both do with chilling out

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I agree that The Answer sucks though and I would prefer it not be included (but also they've already addressed it in 4 and Arena so uhhhhh gently caress)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

And the point I was making in that vent is that saying "it would be a lot of work" is a pointless, empty response that addresses nothing about the underlying issue. It's just rubbing it in.

I guess I genuinely don't get what you mean here. How is it rubbing it in? I am/was admittedly pretty tricked off by what felt like you suddenly coming at me, but I'm not trying to make you feel bad that what you want isn't in the game. If I say "they probably didn't include it because they didn't consider it worthwhile" that isn't me saying that what you like isn't actually valid, interesting or worthwhile. It is flat-out a neutral statement about why Atlus probably isn't doing something you and I would personally enjoy.

Like honestly the way I approach things in situations like this is I try my best to figure out exactly why things are happening the way they are. I am not stating this to be mean or hurt your feelings or make you feel like what you feel is worthless or invalid. It's how I process things and come to terms with frustrating situations that I have no power to change.

I am 100% genuinely sorry if I upset you without realizing it. (and 100% sorry I was sniping at you past that. I was upset and lashed out. That was just me being angry and unfair and I am sorry for that.)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Imp: I like it when there's friction between party members in the mechanics

Imp: also doesn't like the part of the game where the party members actually come to heads and disagree about a course of action in The Answer

contradictory much?

/joking joking joking not serious not serious not serious

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Whatever. I was just trying to say that the obvious corollary of "it's too much work" is "it's not worth the effort." I get that you want to understand this logically, but to me, that logic doesn't really matter. Sometimes, people just wanna be fuckin' angry, and it's okay to let them be.

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I dress like a girl and drink like a man. Please date-rape me.

Alder posted:

I'm ready to have the same conversation once we get news of P6 out in a few more years too :v:

I’m curious what problematic romance option will be included this time that fans will have to pretend doesn’t exist, maybe with your “not biological actually” sibling or the Dojima/Sojiro caretaker figure.

I get that I’m not the target audience anymore as an almost 40-year-old man, but I feel like Atlus is really good at fumbling the ball at the 1-yard line by making an awesome game full of interesting characters to get to know better but then including romance options for your teacher who works part-time as a maid in full costume and refers to you as “Master” and the disgraced doctor who ignores informed consent and performs medical experiments to see what side effects her new drug might have before giving it to a child who is no longer her patient

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

Imp: I like it when there's friction between party members in the mechanics

Imp: also doesn't like the part of the game where the party members actually come to heads and disagree about a course of action in The Answer

contradictory much?

/joking joking joking not serious not serious not serious

That is actually the one part of the Answer I really like. I just dislike the walkback from "The protagonist died" to "The protagonist is, uh, a statue and we're totally going to hint he can come back to life someday" stuff.

Arist posted:

Whatever. I was just trying to say that the obvious corollary of "it's too much work" is "it's not worth the effort." I get that you want to understand this logically, but to me, that logic doesn't really matter. Sometimes, people just wanna be fuckin' angry, and it's okay to let them be.

I think this is just something we'll fundamentally disagree on. I don't like being angry and don't think it helps anything. (With regards to like video games. Absolutely does not apply to anything more significant. This also is me, personally, if being angry helps you process feelings then that is entirely fair.) All I can try to do is say that if I seem like I'm talking through something, it isn't meant to belittle your feelings.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/AtlusTracker/status/1704426774199754853

Anyway, they appear to have included a "Roll Back" function in the system menu which will allow you to go back and replay number of in-game days. Kind of weird for P3, honestly, because nothing you're doing in the moment is all that consequential on its own in the long term, but maybe with P5-style Social Link benefits that'll make more sense? I dunno.

Also, we already had a tool for this, it was called "rotating saves" :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

https://twitter.com/AtlusTracker/status/1704426774199754853

Anyway, they appear to have included a "Roll Back" function in the system menu which will allow you to go back and replay number of in-game days. Kind of weird for P3, honestly, because nothing you're doing in the moment is all that consequential on its own in the long term, but maybe with P5-style Social Link benefits that'll make more sense? I dunno.

Also, we already had a tool for this, it was called "rotating saves" :colbert:

I can absolutely see it having a purpose because lord knows I've had days where I absolutely intended talk to someone for one of those 1-day requests and then forgot about it until two days later.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i feel like having a rollback function goes against the game's themes tbh

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

i feel like having a rollback function goes against the game's themes tbh

I mean I agree, but they are also right that it's not meaningfully different from rotating saves.

Thus the real answer should be autosaves only :colbert:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Atlus is too cowardly. They should though, Merciless at least should be Ironman only.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Atlus is too cowardly. They should though, Merciless at least should be Ironman only.

A part of me would love a built-in Nuzlock feature for a SMT game.

Or a randomizer but the way demons/persona work probably makes that impossible.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I also think that letting you control the party is lame. I'm sure they won't include good party AI options like theo riginal 3 had either and will use the garbage AI from 4 and 5 which was an active detriment to use so it's not even an option.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

A part of me would love a built-in Nuzlock feature for a SMT game.

If you had the Human's as frail squishmallows who have personae that guard them with a separate HP pool, and make it so you dismiss them if their persona is destroyed you could have an interesting system. You'd have to go back to P1 and 2 of allowing your party members to equip personae and make obtaining them easier, but it could be an interesting refresh to the system. God knows the Persona system as it stands now is at it's absolute limit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

If you had the Human's as frail squishmallows who have personae that guard them with a separate HP pool, and make it so you dismiss them if their persona is destroyed you could have an interesting system. You'd have to go back to P1 and 2 of allowing your party members to equip personae and make obtaining them easier, but it could be an interesting refresh to the system. God knows the Persona system as it stands now is at it's absolute limit.

There is actually a recent indie 'pokemon' clone called Cassette Beasts that does something like this. You have your main character who has a health pool and they transform into the captured monsters who are a health pool on top of them. When they get defeated your main character eats some of the HP loss. Also to capture a new monster you have to be in human form and risk taking damage and your partner in the fight can try to defend/weaken/etc. It even as a Nuzlock mode that lets things break if they are defeated.

(Cassette Beasts is extremely good please play it.)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I really liked Cassette Beasts but something around the midgame annoyed me and I haven't gone back. Loved everything about it though.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The Theurgia mechanic and Metaphor might be Atlus trying to experiment with some new ideas in a safe space (a remake and an original IP) before they head in a new direction with P6, it comes to mind.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

ImpAtom posted:

On this front... The smt gacha game (not that I recommend playing it) has a half decent roguelike mode that would absolutely slay if adapted for a full price release.

You fight alongside your demons ala smt, and choose a low level demon to start with. You can do demon negotiations, pick up skills and fusions from panels in the dungeon with the goal of building/adapting a strong enough team to clear the bosses. There's even a fusion accident mechanic which is high risk/high reward. I'd kill for a fully featured version of it.

But it's a gacha so the mode as it stands gets boring real quick cause they'd rather you be buying pulls instead of playing with loaned demons.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Big fan of The Answer myself. Genuinely bummed that it isn't included with the remake, but can why with how unpopular it is. I feel like you could make it a lot less of a slog gameplay wise by just adding the compendium and adding a heal area right before the bosses of the areas instead of just having to go back to the hub and do the dungeon over if you're too beat up to take them on.

I also feel like the idea that The Answer walks back on the MC being dead is a really weird way to look at it. It doesn't really change the fact that he died, its just that his soul is trapped there acting as the seal. I always interpreted the idea of "freeing" him as just letting his soul pass on since they very explicitly say that his body is very much dead.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

Big fan of The Answer myself. Genuinely bummed that it isn't included with the remake, but can why with how unpopular it is. I feel like you could make it a lot less of a slog gameplay wise by just adding the compendium and adding a heal area right before the bosses of the areas instead of just having to go back to the hub and do the dungeon over if you're too beat up to take them on.

I also feel like the idea that The Answer walks back on the MC being dead is a really weird way to look at it. It doesn't really change the fact that he died, its just that his soul is trapped there acting as the seal. I always interpreted the idea of "freeing" him as just letting his soul pass on since they very explicitly say that his body is very much dead.

Yep. Feel the same way on all counts.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

They could have added The Answer and like... Tweaked it to be more fun? Idk

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

one big factor in femc's existence that people gloss over is that in japan the psp was extremely, extremely popular with women late in its life. when its price started getting cut, it gained a second life as a platform for visual novels, rhythm games, puzzle games, otome games, and RPGs with otome elements. it was genuinely seen as trendy with high school girls.

femc's existence very clearly ties into this.

That's a good point. I forgot about how big otome games were on the platform.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Endorph posted:

female MC isnt unpopular but every one of those polls shows male MC beating her

and it predates persona 5 (and is very lowres) but heres a poll where female mc ranks below, koromaru

ive yet to find a single poll where female mc beats male mc

The only thing I've learned in this entire conversation is that people who vote in popularity polls will never see Heaven.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

coiol posted:

I’m curious what problematic romance option will be included this time that fans will have to pretend doesn’t exist, maybe with your “not biological actually” sibling or the Dojima/Sojiro caretaker figure.

I get that I’m not the target audience anymore as an almost 40-year-old man, but I feel like Atlus is really good at fumbling the ball at the 1-yard line by making an awesome game full of interesting characters to get to know better but then including romance options for your teacher who works part-time as a maid in full costume and refers to you as “Master” and the disgraced doctor who ignores informed consent and performs medical experiments to see what side effects her new drug might have before giving it to a child who is no longer her patient

Your caretaker in P6 is your aunt, and you can date her. But it's "ok" because she is not related to you by blood. Her husband, who tragically passed away (you later learn this was because of the antagonist), was your uncle. The S-Link involves helping her come to terms with his death.

This is my pitch, I think I have what it takes to follow in Hashino's footsteps

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

very funny that they just didn't recast Liz, for the record

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm a person who is not going to play P3R specifically because it lacks FeMC, if that affects anyone's stats.

Arist posted:

This is 100% the case, there was no "default" Femshep in the original releases, and the custom characters all looked terrible

That doesn't sound right, I know I went with the "default" Shepard (short brown hair, eyebrow scar) and she looked fine. I guess she was custom design 1 or whatever, but I don't think there was anything wrong with her model.