Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Apple Music is fine and the internet just has brain worms from Spotify spending a decade convincing people the only thing that ever matters is a non stop deluge of “new” music to discover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

~Coxy posted:

In IOS17, there's a setting in Accessibility to reduce the time duration for a Haptic Touch. I set it to Fast and it's so much better in my opinion.

I loving love this.

Thank you!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ManSedan posted:

Apple Music is fine and the internet just has brain worms from Spotify spending a decade convincing people the only thing that ever matters is a non stop deluge of “new” music to discover.
Lol

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Can’t believe Spotify convinced me to listen to something other than Pink Floyd

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

Will they replace the battery no questions asked? I tried to get my iPad Pro battery replaced and they basically were like, yeah no, it's just not quite their yet in degraded capacity. But I also think they just give you a new refurbed iPad Pro instead of doing the battery work on it.

I was told by Apple reps that they don't replace iPad batteries or repair them and usually just give you a whole new device because of how they're built.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

ManSedan posted:

ur right op, sure sucks to discover new things that you like. definitely these people are the ones with brain worms.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Discovery Radio thing they added in the last month is pretty good when you’ve already listened to your new music playlist.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Apple Music has absolutely helped me find new artists I like, although perhaps not as expeditiously as Spotify did.

It is "fine" but Apple should really do better than "fine" by this point

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ManSedan posted:

I feel resigned to having to subscribe to multiple services to get what I need. Apple Music has great selection and goes to artist radio when it runs out of tracks but I don’t like that I have to explicitly add albums to my library instead of favoriting an artist, or that its Americana station is full of pop country. Pandora has fantastic radio stations and artist discovery but little else that’s compelling. Spotify is better than both in some ways and worse in others, but it’s the only one that has a native app in my car.

How’s Tidal? I think it’s the only one I haven’t tried.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Does the update do anything about not being able to use the wallet if you don’t want to set a passcode? I don’t have any credit card info on my phone but I’m not in a situation where a passcode of faceid is worth having. I’d love to have the use of wallet for transit cards and such though.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Brain worms moment,

I love my little Lightning Dock that has served me well for close to a decade.

Obviously, my iPhone 15 is UBC-C. Has anyone made a decent USB-C dock over the years?

I know the general consensus is use Mag-safe but I'm apprehensive because how inefficient it is and battery life-span concerns.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 21, 2023

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I have to imagine they’re all basically equal at this point but back when Apple Music was new I tried it out and the similar/suggested/recommends algorithm for the genres of music that I listened to was laughably awful so I didn’t bother messing with it past the free trial. Probably the nerdiest thing to have a strong opinion on though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

There are good and bad things about both - Spotify is constantly changing or reorganizing the Home page, it can’t be customized, and it’s lacking in library sorting and filtering. They’re also starting to lets artists pay to show up on your Home Screen. They also don’t make any money on music, so that’s why they’re so focused on podcasts and audiobooks.

Personally, I listen to a lot of live EDM and remix albums, which Spotify’s catalog really lacks, so I’m happy to sign up for Apple Music (Apple One Family is cheaper) which pays artists more, airplay 2 support, lossless audio, atmos, shortcuts, etc. I wish Spotify would get around to implementing those things, but understand many couldn’t care less.

Apple Music’s recommendations needs to be better, but it’s hard to compete with a platform that has been analyzing your habits for the last decade or so.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 21, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pandora’s introduced me to a lot of new artists which I think is pretty rad because I don’t want to be like my dad who just kinda stopped looking after The Eagles

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

i'm a stupid moron baby so can someone tell me if i should get an iphone 15 or a 15 pro. i upgraded from a 5 to a pixel 1 and now i need a new phone. budget isn't really an issue but i dont want to spend a lot more if i dont have too. what are the differences now with these dang phones

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Ramadu posted:

i'm a stupid moron baby so can someone tell me if i should get an iphone 15 or a 15 pro. i upgraded from a 5 to a pixel 1 and now i need a new phone. budget isn't really an issue but i dont want to spend a lot more if i dont have too. what are the differences now with these dang phones

Do you care about having a 120hz display or better camera system? If not, get the non Pro.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

Corb3t posted:

This guide goes deeper into making Apple Music recommendations better more quickly as well.

I found this really helpful and insightful. Thanks.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Corb3t posted:

Do you care about having a 120hz display or better camera system? If not, get the non Pro.

i have no idea what a 120hz display on a phone would look like. i did hear i could play mass effect on the pro??? do they still do that S refresh???

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If budget is not an issue then I would get the Pro.

-The CPU is one generation ahead
-The main camera is "betterer" and you get telephoto
-Better colourways unless you really like pastel
-USB 3 lol

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Most people should get the Pro.

Btw, at least for Verizon shipping, no one seems to want the blue. The Pro in 128 and 256 blue is shipping on time (I think for both) and the Pro Max blue is the quickest shipping still.

The white is the farther back ordered, but that could just be supplies.

I think Natural and Black (of course) are the most popular.

For the 15, yeah the Pink is super popular.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

American McGay posted:

I have to imagine they’re all basically equal at this point but back when Apple Music was new I tried it out and the similar/suggested/recommends algorithm for the genres of music that I listened to was laughably awful so I didn’t bother messing with it past the free trial. Probably the nerdiest thing to have a strong opinion on though.

Yeah same. I should give it another shot but the amount of times it tried to push Drake on me makes it hard.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dang I might just return my fabric case without opening it. Sounds like they suck rear end - look bad, feel bad, and aren’t durable at all

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Pro is meaningfully superior to the regular so if budget is not a big deal, you don’t need to do more reading — just get the pro.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If budget is no issue, get the Pro. Then it's just a question of do you want normal or big Pro.

Snuffman posted:

Brain worms moment,

I love my little Lightning Dock that has served me well for close to a decade.

Obviously, my iPhone 15 is UBC-C. Has anyone made a decent USB-C dock over the years?

I know the general consensus is use Mag-safe but I'm apprehensive because how inefficient it is and battery life-span concerns.

Closest I've found is something like this Anker dock for iPads, I'm kinda hopeful someone does make a simple dock like that old lightning dock at some point.

Rolo posted:

Yeah same. I should give it another shot but the amount of times it tried to push Drake on me makes it hard.

I've never had Drake pushed on me, but I did consider unsubscribing when it dropped the Ed Sheeran song from Ted Lasso in my New Music playlist.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Dang I might just return my fabric case without opening it. Sounds like they suck rear end - look bad, feel bad, and aren’t durable at all

I have a fabric case from Peak Design which is great, so you could always try that?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The peak design case is super back ordered and has the same issue, you can scuff it with a fingernail and it never really heals. But that's an issue on leather cases too. And I've never really dug my nails into my phone case anyways.

So it's a valid critique I guess but it's pretty nitpicky imo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Tiny Timbs posted:

To be fair this also describes the Apple Leather cases they’re replacing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

njsykora posted:

I've never had Drake pushed on me, but I did consider unsubscribing when it dropped the Ed Sheeran song from Ted Lasso in my New Music playlist.

Man, remember when Apple added that U2 album to everyone’s iTunes back in like 2014?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

xzzy posted:

The peak design case is super back ordered and has the same issue, you can scuff it with a fingernail and it never really heals. But that's an issue on leather cases too. And I've never really dug my nails into my phone case anyways.

Yeah I ordered the green case for the 15 pro on the day they were announced and the website said "in stock!" and then minutes afterwards I got an email said that they are delayed. :/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

For those who have a Bullstrap case, how strong is the MagSafe ring? I’d like to use the official wallet and do charging too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Duckman2008 posted:

Btw, at least for Verizon shipping, no one seems to want the blue. The Pro in 128 and 256 blue is shipping on time (I think for both) and the Pro Max blue is the quickest shipping still.

Up here in the frozen wastes of Toronto my blue 15PM isn’t arriving until late October, boo.

Unrelated, I love that the haptic-touch speed affects the whole animation speed and not just the trigger time, for the little photo-zoom test. If you set it on slow it just…zooms…on…in.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Vegetable posted:

The Pro is meaningfully superior to the regular so if budget is not a big deal, you don’t need to do more reading — just get the pro.

I don't pay too much attention year over year since I don't upgrade that often but isn't that true every release?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

xzzy posted:

Good news! The color coating on the Pros is also easily scratched.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I don't pay too much attention year over year since I don't upgrade that often but isn't that true every release?
It is. I’m not claiming it’s a uniquely iPhone 15 piece of wisdom.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Ramadu posted:

As someone that has a Pixel 7 Pro with a 120hz display as well as some old cheap 'droids and an iPhone 12...go for the Pro model and it's higher refresh rate. I think you will notice and appreciate it. Use a high refresh display long enough and your brain will miss it when it's gone.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Vegetable posted:

It is. I’m not claiming it’s a uniquely iPhone 15 piece of wisdom.

Ah ok. Wasn't trying to rag on you or anything.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

For those who have a Bullstrap case, how strong is the MagSafe ring? I’d like to use the official wallet and do charging too.

Works great

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I wish Apple wouldn't immediately retire the previous Pro version, because like, a 14 Pro is better than a 15 non-pro. But I know, they get more money this way.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

I was told by Apple reps that they don't replace iPad batteries or repair them and usually just give you a whole new device because of how they're built.

This is absolutely true with iPads. If you pay for a battery replacement through Apple or an authorized 3rd party, you will pay the rate for a battery replacement, give them your old device, and receive a new (refurb) iPad.

For the vast majority of people, opening an iPad is extremely time consuming and a gigantic pain in the rear end, and usually results in a damaged iPad. It’s definitely possible, but apparently Apple decided long ago that it wasn’t worth the headaches of having their techs perform any iPad hardware repairs, and it’s more efficient to just swap and refurb instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I wish Apple wouldn't immediately retire the previous Pro version, because like, a 14 Pro is better than a 15 non-pro. But I know, they get more money this way.

AT&T is still selling 14 Pros and Apple sometimes has refurbs