Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

death cob for cutie posted:

Godspeed - I am a programmer and DRLA is one of the things I've been looking at.

Then again, not being a programmer may make you more resilient to bullshit; when I look at this stuff, all I can think is "but why did you choose to do ZScript this way?"

I think the thing I have to do is swap out the item classes that Thrifty Ammo is looking for with the classes that Final Doomer replaces the default ones with but I have no idea how I should do that in practice. Given that there's nine different sets of item pickups associated with each weapon set, doing just one to see if it's even possible seems like the sanest place to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

The music is super boring buttrock too, but that's easily fixed by slapping on the classic OST of your choice. I recommend Streets of Rage 2.

Oh right. That's another peeve. I honestly don't mind the buttrock that much in a vacuum, but the music triggers are super lazy so even if all you're doing is entering a closet of a side room with only a few enemies it spools up a good 30 seconds of thrashing action music before going back to normal.

It's also dumb that secrets are in part indicated by a whistling wind noise, but maps will use similar ambient wind sounds whenever they feel like.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The ZScript documentation situation isn't amazing, but it's somehow better than it was before. When I'm trying to hack stuff into compliance I usually have a spare SLADE tab open in gzdoom.pk3 and hit up the scripting channels on the ZDoom Forums Discord so I can access the greater hivemind.

This reminds me, I should really document LevelPostProcessor at some point if nobody beats me to it, I keep putting it off...

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

The Kins posted:

The ZScript documentation situation isn't amazing, but it's somehow better than it was before.

I should try and see if I can find a way to make or suggest edits to the ZDoom Wiki again. Last time I tried (and didn't have any edit rights) I asked on the ZDoom forums if some documentation for door action behavior could get updated to mention a case and was told "this is intended behavior, closing this thread". Like, yeah, that's why I asked to add the info.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Doctor Bishop posted:

Unfortunately I think they officially capped it at nine weapon sets, so adding anymore sets based on other wads would have to be in the form of fan add-ons or copycat mods.

Wait, do you mean "capped" as in it's some sort of engine thing or the dev's personal decision?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mordja posted:

Wait, do you mean "capped" as in it's some sort of engine thing or the dev's personal decision?
The latter. If there's a weapon limit in GZDoom, nobody's hit it yet.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
oh hey you're the reelism guy

I love the puppets

I had an idea of doing a Reelism 2 weapons reel using some of the neater weapons from DRLA

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i beat turbo overkill and man, what a good game. it's almost too much of a good thing. i had to play it in 30-45 minute bursts because my concentration would start slipping because of the relentless pace of the game. i think the ending stretch is too long, i wasn't even killing all the enemies towards the final 2 hours or so, just moving past them, and i think the difficulty (on hard) is way too focused on burst damage, where you're absolutely fine 98% of the time but then suddenly you lose 175 health in 0.2 seconds because you stood still. it's good but not as good as the best ones, like cultic, blood, amid evil (which i have a big weakness for as it turns out). black labyrinth was amazing.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I still think something a lot of the successor games miss, especially the Doom followers, is pacing

Atmosphere, time to explore, environmental puzzles, etc

That's not universally true of course, plenty have done it well, but the ones that veer into all combat become fatiguing (even when I like them!)

Come to think of it, Doom 2016 to Eternal did that a bit too huh :thunk:

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

victrix posted:

I still think something a lot of the successor games miss, especially the Doom followers, is pacing

Atmosphere, time to explore, environmental puzzles, etc

That's not universally true of course, plenty have done it well, but the ones that veer into all combat become fatiguing (even when I like them!)

Come to think of it, Doom 2016 to Eternal did that a bit too huh :thunk:

Eternal is the apotheosis of that phenomenon. For all the problems I had with it - taking 2016’s cheeky but thoughtful tone and feeding it into a tree shredder to make the central narrative an idiotic riff on Warhammer 40K, having zero sense of menace or foreboding whatsoever, the entirety of DLC #2 being creatively exhausted and beat to fit, paint to match - that central combat loop is like nothing else.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

My first play through of Doom Eternal in 2020 might be the most I've ever enjoyed a game, ever.

It was absolutely exhilarating. I've never played an FPS like it and I can get on board with the argument that it's the perfection of FPS mechanics.

I just find it tiring to return to and have cooled on just about everything else about Eternal as a product. As much as I enjoyed it at the time, there's a reason I'll probably be playing Doom 1 & 2 forever and might not touch Eternal ever again.

There's a knock on effect too in that I'm dragging my heels on picking up Turbo Overkill and why Ultrakill seems to have permanent residence on my "I'll keep this installed - I'll play it properly one day but never do" list. That difficulty in returning to Eternal seems to have bled into a general fatigue with that style of ultra-fast shooter.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Try Shadow Warrior 3. For me it scratched all the Eternal itches without being half as exhausting to play.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Did anybody realize that WitchFire entered Early Access yesterday? Of course you didn't! It's an EGS game!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

Did anybody realize that WitchFire entered Early Access yesterday? Of course you didn't! It's an EGS game!

I realized. But it's Early Access so someone warn me in 1 or 2 years when it's done.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mordja posted:

Oh. I stopped following it a while ago, that first trailer got me excited and everything since then has made me less and less so. Maybe if it's good and shows up on GOG at some point.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
a game so epic, they had to release it on the epic games store

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean they advertised it as FROM THE MAKERS OF BULLETSTORM and then decided to turn it into a looter shooter midway thru development.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

epic fail store, imho

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Bumhead posted:

There's a knock on effect too in that I'm dragging my heels on picking up Turbo Overkill and why Ultrakill seems to have permanent residence on my "I'll keep this installed - I'll play it properly one day but never do" list. That difficulty in returning to Eternal seems to have bled into a general fatigue with that style of ultra-fast shooter.

Turbo Overkill is well worth it, it feels like a different, less insanely stressful take on Eternal's combat. There's a lot less rock-paper-scissors in the gameplay and lots of ways to approach every fight, including ways to just delete the most annoying enemy in a fight.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's the mortar guys that lob goop

Also, I do like how Turbo Overkill and Ultrakill both have names that would have given tipper gore a conniption in the early 90s

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I've hooked a Roland SC-55 up to my PC again, and now I don't wanna play anything that doesn't have a MIDI soundtrack.

I have Supplice and Prodeus, and both games have info out there about having MIDI soundtracks, and I can see the MIDI options in their menus, but the soundtracks remain digital as far as I can tell. I've basically just started each game, so maybe the MIDI doesn't kick in until later or at specific pointsf? Anyone know what is up with the MIDI soundtracks in these games? That side of things seems poorly documented for both games.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

After many attempts, I got the "bandanna" skull in Halo CE Anniversary.

Then I died. Does it still register that I got it? I can't restart a game to enable skulls, because that would ruin my current progress.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

After many attempts, I got the "bandanna" skull in Halo CE Anniversary.

Then I died. Does it still register that I got it? I can't restart a game to enable skulls, because that would ruin my current progress.

If you are playing MCC, then all skulls are already unlocked out of the gate. The only thing collecting the skulls do is give you the achievement.

Though I seem to recall the way it worked in Anniversary Edition was once you touched it, it unlocked.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rocket Pan posted:

If you are playing MCC, then all skulls are already unlocked out of the gate. The only thing collecting the skulls do is give you the achievement.

Though I seem to recall the way it worked in Anniversary Edition was once you touched it, it unlocked.

I definitely didn't get the achievement. But I also noticed that I haven't been getting the end of chapter achievementd since beating the Halo chapter. I'm done Silent Cartographer and the one after it in the snow (jfc, I forgot how much of a goddamned slog that was) and no achievements for those.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Opps never mind!

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 22, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I definitely didn't get the achievement. But I also noticed that I haven't been getting the end of chapter achievementd since beating the Halo chapter. I'm done Silent Cartographer and the one after it in the snow (jfc, I forgot how much of a goddamned slog that was) and no achievements for those.

It's been a couple of years for me but I feel like there were a few achievements where I qualified for them, but they didn't actually "pop" for whatever reason until I exited the game and jumped back in. Not sure if that's the case with you but there definitely seemed to be a little weirdness with some of them.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Man, Cultic spoiled me with the custom difficulty option. I want to play through q2 again but with enemy damage doubled and enemy accuracy lowered slightly, but my damage doubled too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mordja posted:

Call me when those 3 witches get together and build a proper haven

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Copper Vein posted:

I've hooked a Roland SC-55 up to my PC again, and now I don't wanna play anything that doesn't have a MIDI soundtrack.

I have Supplice and Prodeus, and both games have info out there about having MIDI soundtracks, and I can see the MIDI options in their menus, but the soundtracks remain digital as far as I can tell. I've basically just started each game, so maybe the MIDI doesn't kick in until later or at specific pointsf? Anyone know what is up with the MIDI soundtracks in these games? That side of things seems poorly documented for both games.

I'd assumed that those were pre-recorded and didn't actually send any MIDI data out.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I don't think Supplice's MIDI soundtrack is available yet, it's currently all the enhanced CD-ROM version, so to speak.

Prodeus's MIDI soundtrack is pre-rendered for technical reasons. You can download the original MIDI files from Steam or Bandcamp for free and listen to them on your IRL SC-55 outside the game if you'd prefer.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Man, Cultic spoiled me with the custom difficulty option. I want to play through q2 again but with enemy damage doubled and enemy accuracy lowered slightly, but my damage doubled too.

Cultic spoiled all of us. Cultic honestly kicked off my whole re/interest in the subgenre and it's still close to the top of the best of them. I can write a tier list if anyone wants (they dont). I also want to write a tier list of quake 2 levels. I have a seething hatred of one in particular

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oh, also: The Force Engine has updated with true-color mode, an FOV slider, and improvements to the closed-captions system.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Milo and POTUS posted:

I also want to write a tier list of quake 2 levels. I have a seething hatred of one in particular

Go for it. Or at the very least, tell us the one that has you seething.

I'm playing Doom 2 at the moment for the first time in a long rear end time. I'm a bit bogged down in the Earth levels at the minute. I find these levels kinda cool in an abstract, this is the art you produced with what you had to work with sort of way, but navigation can definitely be a bit of a pain. I totally forgot how to exit Map 16, although the upshot of spending so long trying to find it is that I 100%'d the level first time round.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The first and last third of doom 2 levels are solid to great but man those "city" levels are... lovely levels.

I don't mind because the shooting is so good but there were quite a few where I got frustrated and just watched a youtube walkthrough just to find the exit

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

There have been several paths towards the exit, mostly involving warp points, where I have no idea what the solution is supposed to be other than the end result of aimless wandering.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Doom & Doom II dominated my PC when I was a wee lad, but I think its unsatisfyingly abstract representations of actual places--factories, bases, cities, etc.--are the reason I latched so firmly onto literally anything more recognizable of a lived-in place in other games. The vending machines in Blake Stone! The glass windows in ROTT! And of course everything about Duke Nukem 3D--the toilets most of all.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_8qc07JqgE

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Bumhead posted:

There have been several paths towards the exit, mostly involving warp points, where I have no idea what the solution is supposed to be other than the end result of aimless wandering.

Let us know when you reach the second-to-last map, The Spirit World.

gently caress The Spirit World

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I like monster condo tbh, that level always felt very cosy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Spirit world is a beast to play but I kinda love the aesthetics. The city levels are just booooring