Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

We had a Pioneer stereo that had similar design vibes, but it used CDs and would be about 20 years old now :corsair:

That's what got me thinking about it. I got my first car in '08 and put aftermarket decks in all my cars, I always thought the 90's "ultra rad" design aesthetic was a product of the time and manufacturers catering to the market of second hand cars but clearly that trend predates my experience lol. My memory is a bit hazy but I think even back in '08 cassette decks weren't a very common option if at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If it didn’t have Dolphins going across the screen it wasn’t cool

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

tony quidtana posted:

How loving old is that thing? It's got to be at least a decade plus since any after market car stereo included a cassette deck

Around 1991 maybe 92? Will go well in my car from 1990. I would've have preferred a Pioneer KEH-9000 RDS or Alpine 7279, they have a bit more restrained look, but this one was cheap and it works so I jumped on it.

I wanna get rid of the modern pioneer player in my car, it stands out like a sore thumb, and red display in a car with greenish lighting to the dash and controls.

His Divine Shadow has a new favorite as of 06:56 on Sep 7, 2023

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The oven that came with the house decided to stop heating above 280, so that gives me a really good excuse to upgrade:

But then, much to my frustration, the garbage disposal (that also came with the house) developed a stupid leak, so I get to swap this thing in now

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

My brother had a mid-Eighties Alpine pull-out and it was an excellent stereo. Something about that style just screamed "I AM A CAR STEREO!"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

couldcareless posted:

The oven that came with the house decided to stop heating above 280, so that gives me a really good excuse to upgrade:

But then, much to my frustration, the garbage disposal (that also came with the house) developed a stupid leak, so I get to swap this thing in now

Nice! I have a standalone induction hob and I really like it, especially in the summer because it doesn't throw off as much heat.

It does have its drawbacks. Cast iron works but I can't use it above 3 or 4 for long because the heat stays closer to the element and makes it overheat and stop. Thinner pans can use more of the power range.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Weird, my GE induction range handles cast iron fine. It has other problems, though

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Some lady living near me was wholesaling her all clad apparently because she got an induction cooktop. That’s how I got a $500 stockpot for $50.

Although apparently D5 works on induction just fine, so…

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

Weird, my GE induction range handles cast iron fine. It has other problems, though

A standalone unit is going to have less room internally for cooling, in addition to having to work off a normal outlet versus a beefier installed range setup. That probably accounts for the difference here.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

TotalLossBrain posted:

It handles it fine, I still cook on it, I just can't use more than the first 3 or 4 power settings and have to monitor it.

tangy yet delightful posted:

A standalone unit is going to have less room internally for cooling, in addition to having to work off a normal outlet versus a beefier installed range setup. That probably accounts for the difference here.

Wouldn't be surprised.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Not a Children posted:

Some lady living near me was wholesaling her all clad apparently because she got an induction cooktop. That’s how I got a $500 stockpot for $50.

Although apparently D5 works on induction just fine, so…

They sure do. I got an induction range earlier this year and bought a couple d5 pieces specifically for it. They work great.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

couldcareless posted:

You can probably fix this with 1 relay FYI, if you want to try and sell it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I honestly offered to fix it but my wife prefers the path of least resistance, and since we are expecting a baby in the next 5 weeks, I'd rather just get them to haul the old one away. I don't have anywhere to stash a range while I fix it up.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Got early Christmas/birthday presents from my sister:

Adidas Terrex AX4 GORE-TEX Hiking Shoes

Casio G-Shock Move Slim Step-Tracker Digital Watch

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I guess now I'm one of those assholes in a goofy hat.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

withak posted:

Bad

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

For a clown to wear…

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
get that fuckin hat off the bed !

mystes
May 31, 2006

withak posted:

I'm pressing x to doubt (that you look good in that hat)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

get that fuckin hat off the bed !

I appreciate a good Drugstore Cowboy reference in 2023.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

withak posted:

That's not a goofy hat. A goofy hat is waaay taller, has a crown that looks like the end of a cartoon bone, a brim that's completely upturned, and a wide black band. Normally it's blue but in the US it may be green for some satanic reason, so I guess the colour is fine.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

I'm pressing x to doubt (that you look good in that hat)

I can assure you I don’t.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

A ton of shop shaming on this page

mystes
May 31, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

A ton of shop shaming on this page
PYF Recent Purchases?
Please, don't shop, shame!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mystes posted:

PYF Recent Purchases?
Please, don't shop, shame!

Please, don’t! Shop? Shame!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Catatron Prime posted:

Purchases wise, I just recently bought a trailer!

Followed shortly by a new transmission :homebrew:

I’d like some more info on this… how do you like it? I’m assuming you’ll be living in it while replacing the transmission? :razzy:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Found a coin, bought a coin.

:goatsecx:

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
E Pluribus Anno

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Paid the final installment of half a cow's worth of meat.

My friend's father-in-law raises 2-3 every year and I try to get on the list for a half cow's worth of meat... I don't always get it (they have more than a few family friends who want in, so it's typically a lottery) but lucked out this year.

I should end up with maybe 300 pounds of meat, mix of good steak cuts, roasts, and a LOT of ground beef (the "butcher" is primarily a game butcher so he's not as versed in cow anatomy and makes some miscuts and such so lots of off cuts into the grinder.)

Total cost is only about $800, though, so the price can't be beat.

Edit: removed a pic because I know some people might not want to see a living cow that's destined to not be soon.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Did you get the bottom half or top?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Since my last post...

80s or 90s Palmer PH8TTG semi hollow, made in Korea by Samick, sold under Samick and Epiphone brands as well. Bought for about 1/3 of what the other versions sell for.

Squier Bullet Tele from the pawnshop that needed strings and an output jack, but otherwise like new. All fixed, under $100 spent.

1979 Hondo Professional H-1120, made in Japan by Tokai, and basically a rebadged version of the Tokai Hard Puncher just much cheaper. Upgraded bridge and pickups, but has a few issues to fix.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Did you get the bottom half or top?

The inside half. I get the meat and organs, other guy gets the bones and skin.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ahh, you split the cow with a god.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Nah, they tend to just get the smoke from the burnt offerings.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cigaw posted:

E Pluribus Anno

*ano

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Ahh, you split the cow with a god the Jell-O factory.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Based on your username, sounds like you know what you're doing.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Ahh, you split the cow with the hot dog factory

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

namlosh posted:

I’d like some more info on this… how do you like it? I’m assuming you’ll be living in it while replacing the transmission? :razzy:

It's great! I've been lucky enough to get out with it the past few weekends. I don't have as many photos as I should, but here's a few for reference:

The awning and side tent are pretty easy to set up and creates a nice outdoor living room:

Interior is just a bed on wheels, but the storage is quite handy and it works great with a small pico projector and screen (unfortunately no pictures yet since I still need to make a few mounting tweaks). Lighting is great, and the fan is just a godsend vs being in a tent. The 140w solar panel seems to do a pretty good job running fridge, fan, and lights with a LiFePO4 battery, and even survived a hailstorm fully intact:

Kitchen for reference:

Having a sink and powered fridge is about the greatest thing. Plus the quick setup/teardown--even with setting up the jacks and connecting the propane, it's still faster than trying to pack away an instant tent. I can roll out of bed and be hitched and ready to go in under 10-15 minutes

Technically I did live in a motel 6 for about a day while trying to call around to various shops before learning that nobody touches CVTs. But it worked out, and I was able to arrange a multi-state tow back home along with a uhaul pickup rental. I wound up just having the local dealer put in a reman transmission (which was only about a third of the price of a brand new vehicle, but damned if I didn't, damned if I do). Afterwards I did some more digging and realized I probably coulda fixed the actual problem fairly easily myself for a fraction of that, but poo poo happens and it all worked out all right. I'm just geeked to be getting back outside again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Took my little truck to pick up some giant box that showed up at the Mazda dealer

Oh it’s a thing to make my convertible not a convertible