Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
He’s still incorporating Lucas’ cinematic vocabulary (samurais and Flash Gordon), but Filoni’s mythopoetic vocabulary is far more sophisticated than Lucas’. We’re way past “Hero With a Thousand Faces”.

If Filoni ends this series with a crazy female triad vs female triad of the Great Mothers vs Ahsoka, Sabine, and Sinn (I’m assuming Baylon and Morgan had a climactic battle Force Battle) then I’m breaking into Filoni’s house, waking him from a sound sleep, and demand to hear what he knows about Anatolian mountain goddess.

My stoner antiquarian reading: The tripartite goddess symbology has been smacking me in the face since the 2nd episode. Hera is the Crone, Ahsoka is the Matron, and Sabine is the Maiden. At the beginning of the show they are restless because they are on the cusp of graduating from their current position. Hera, now that she is a mother and a real deal authority figure, has to leave to the trinity and continue her story elsewhere. Ahsoka, after her wandering and independence, she now has to become a figure that others depend on, going from matron to crone. Sabine, despite her self, needs to take on responsibility to grow, and moves from Maiden to Matron position. Now that they gone through the looking glass, they are prepared their new roles, with I assume Sinn getting recruited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

banned from Starbucks posted:

I hope it's Ed Norton under that helmet

Maybe Ezra can send him his crab physicians

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The term Padawan actually dates back to before A New Hope was A New Hope, and was part of the first paragraph of story that Lucas ever wrote1 for the movie.

1. Actually, George Lucas just stole the text from a John Carter of Mars book and replaced the proper nouns with his own made-up bullshit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

XYZAB posted:

That was the most underwhelming resolution to the question of “Where’s Ezra?” that I think could have been possible. Nothing about Star Wars blows my socks off anymore. This poo poo sucks, it’s all design by committee drivel now. At least Ezra’s actor appears to have charisma and chemistry, which is more than can be said about Hera and the Oompa Loompa kid.

And yeah Thrawn is just smurf Elon. Which is unfortunate but does make me automatically hate him.

And I swear to god if the rumours about Filoni caving to Kennedy about wanting to use the night sisters to place a magic spell on the entire universe that wishes the force out of existence are true, then I’m done with Star Wars until Kathleen Kennedy wraps her car around a tree in an unfortunate yacht overdose accident that I had nothing to do with.

Edit: Crab people were just rehashed Jawas.

Was with you until you got weird

It’s just a franchise

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

XYZAB posted:

That was the most underwhelming resolution to the question of “Where’s Ezra?” that I think could have been possible. Nothing about Star Wars blows my socks off anymore. This poo poo sucks, it’s all design by committee drivel now. At least Ezra’s actor appears to have charisma and chemistry, which is more than can be said about Hera and the Oompa Loompa kid.

And yeah Thrawn is just smurf Elon. Which is unfortunate but does make me automatically hate him.

And I swear to god if the rumours about Filoni caving to Kennedy about wanting to use the night sisters to place a magic spell on the entire universe that wishes the force out of existence are true, then I’m done with Star Wars until Kathleen Kennedy wraps her car around a tree in an unfortunate yacht overdose accident that I had nothing to do with.

Your weird woman-hating aside, that thing you heard might happen from some right wing youtuber obviously isn't going to happen because there's plenty of Star Wars media that takes place after Ahsoka and it hasn't happened.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Marsupial Ape posted:

He’s still incorporating Lucas’ cinematic vocabulary (samurais and Flash Gordon), but Filoni’s mythopoetic vocabulary is far more sophisticated than Lucas’. We’re way past “Hero With a Thousand Faces”.

If Filoni ends this series with a crazy female triad vs female triad of the Great Mothers vs Ahsoka, Sabine, and Sinn (I’m assuming Baylon and Morgan had a climactic battle Force Battle) then I’m breaking into Filoni’s house, waking him from a sound sleep, and demand to hear what he knows about Anatolian mountain goddess.

My stoner antiquarian reading: The tripartite goddess symbology has been smacking me in the face since the 2nd episode. Hera is the Crone, Ahsoka is the Matron, and Sabine is the Maiden. At the beginning of the show they are restless because they are on the cusp of graduating from their current position. Hera, now that she is a mother and a real deal authority figure, has to leave to the trinity and continue her story elsewhere. Ahsoka, after her wandering and independence, she now has to become a figure that others depend on, going from matron to crone. Sabine, despite her self, needs to take on responsibility to grow, and moves from Maiden to Matron position. Now that they gone through the looking glass, they are prepared their new roles, with I assume Sinn getting recruited.

For a second I thought this was a SMG post but then I realized it wasn’t long enough

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kathleen is a fun name to imagine turbonerds screaming futilely up at the sky.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Dr.Radical posted:

For a second I thought this was a SMG post but then I realized it wasn’t long enough

How dare you.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lobok posted:

Kathleen is a fun name to imagine turbonerds screaming futilely up at the sky.

There are two kinds of Star Wars fans:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Assepoester posted:

They upgraded the little tower on the top

Even simpler, it's the same piece but stuck on at 90⁰.

I think one of the Lego models has it on a hinge so you can choose which you prefer.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I liked this episode more than the previous ones but also we're in the back half of the season now and it feels like the show is still setting things up. Given the talk about a wrapup movie for these recent shows I could see Thrawn sticking around unresolved until then. Maybe they'll just repeat the Rebels ending and have him mysteriously teleport away for no reason!

I like the lil turtle hobbits and the wolf dog hyena

It's gonna suck when Ezra and Sabine kiss

That dude absolutely looks like Elon, RIP that he didn't get the Mads facial genes

Dr.Radical posted:

SMGs posts are good while this dude's posts are kinda creepy

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
What exactly have I done that’s transgressive, now?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Dr.Radical posted:

yeah, Ahsoka is doing alright as a series but Filoni's historical and cultural repertoire that he draws from are like, pretty much identical to the average american Home Depot Dad who's watched Gladiator and Vikings. And uh, clicked the link on Wikipedia for "wolves in mythology", I guess. None of it is particularly far outside of the pop-cultures usual list of mythological references.

different topic but why are Ezra's eyes Like That.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Marsupial Ape posted:

That a pretty good analysis, let's see if it pans out.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Probably the whole mood that leads to you fantasizing about breaking into Filoni's house.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

mllaneza posted:

That a pretty good analysis, let's see if it pans out.

Probably the whole mood that leads to you fantasizing about breaking into Filoni's house.

Jesus Christ, it’s a gag. If anything, I’m making fun of my own nerdy history obsessions. Only a psychopath would say that earnestly and only somebody with an child’s sense of irony or is being obtuse on purpose to stir poo poo would think I was serious. It could be either with some of you.

I would be a weirdo and ask Dave about non-Star Wars mythology poo poo if I got to meet him in a public setting, though.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Captain Splendid posted:

And yet despite that, they still upgraded it from an Imperial-I to an Imperial-II
:goonsay:

Which points to them actually building it as a new asset rather than just plundering the Rogue One Star Destroyer again like they did for Rise of Skywalker. They put a lot of effort into getting it wrong.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Marsupial Ape posted:

creepy i dunno but imposing a cockamamie maiden-mother-crone framework on those characters and bafflingly making Hera, a literal matron, the crone, and Ahsoka the 'wizened' cynical Clone Wars veteran, the matron

why all that is highly transgressive in my eyes

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Zedhe Khoja posted:

creepy i dunno but imposing a cockamamie maiden-mother-crone framework on those characters and bafflingly making Hera, a literal matron, the crone, and Ahsoka the 'wizened' cynical Clone Wars veteran, the matron

why all that is highly transgressive in my eyes

It’s a motiff, not prescriptive. I’m sorry I have a humanities background. I apologize for your misunderstanding.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

koolkal posted:

I liked this episode more than the previous ones but also we're in the back half of the season now and it feels like the show is still setting things up. Given the talk about a wrapup movie for these recent shows I could see Thrawn sticking around unresolved until then. Maybe they'll just repeat the Rebels ending and have him mysteriously teleport away for no reason!

I am definitely seeing Thrawn getting away here, which fair enough, he is interesting enough I'd rather not see him appear and disappear in three episodes of one show. I assume Skoll and Hati will be dealt with in this season though even without the actor-related reason they can't keep one around.

quote:

I like the lil turtle hobbits and the wolf dog hyena

Am I the only one who sees those little guys as hermit crabs?

quote:

It's gonna suck when Ezra and Sabine kiss

Bleh to that thought! I suppose I can accept it if it happens as kind of in-character (Ezra was to be fair kind of drooling over her as a young teenager in the early season(s) of Rebels, though Sabine was just amused by the idea). But I vastly prefer the brother/sister thing they had going once Ezra matured and I trust that, as the guy who helped create them, Filoni won't just throw that out. At least their meeting certainly felt true to the original Rebels characterizations, which also encourages me they won't go that route.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

XYZAB posted:

Ok.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

MadDogMike posted:

Am I the only one who sees those little guys as hermit crabs?

Pretty clearly hermit crabs, imho. Maybe some in the thread have never seen a hermit crab or don’t know they exist?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Is this one of those situations where a bunch of goons discover they have face blindness

I know I have it and also he looks like Elon to me and I hate it

Dead on Arrival
Nov 4, 2008

Marsupial Ape posted:

It’s a motiff, not prescriptive. I’m sorry I have a humanities background. I apologize for your misunderstanding.

Haha. loving goon, just pulled a "Sorry you were offended by what I said!"

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I loved those Tales of the Jedi comics, they gave such a mystical sense to it all through the art and monologues. A lot of it is just old jedi wandering around desolate worlds wondering jedi things. I hope the Acolyte show scratches a bit if that itch.

I was excited when they announced the Tales of the Jedi show, then disappointed it had nothing to do with the comics, then excited again for the more Clone Wars content that I was surprisingly pleased with.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Assepoester posted:

They upgraded the little tower on the top

And, of course, the guns.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Dead on Arrival posted:

Haha. loving goon, just pulled a "Sorry you were offended by what I said!"

It’s more like “I don’t feel obligated to engage with a lonely person seeking negative attention.”

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jehde posted:

I loved those Tales of the Jedi comics, they gave such a mystical sense to it all through the art and monologues. A lot of it is just old jedi wandering around desolate worlds wondering jedi things. I hope the Acolyte show scratches a bit if that itch.

I was excited when they announced the Tales of the Jedi show, then disappointed it had nothing to do with the comics, then excited again for the more Clone Wars content that I was surprisingly pleased with.

I started a read along to go with AMCA's Patreon stuff on them. It's fun seeing a different take on the setting.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Those were some grade A Star Wars weird little dudes. Haven't had enough weird little dudes lately.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Can some goons familiar Rebels or I guess even the EU stuff explain what the general deal with the Chimaera is? What makes it special from other star destroyers outside of the bitchin’ decals?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Marsupial Ape posted:

how does it even work as a "motiff" outside of your specific imagination is what i'm asking
also i'd like to keep this lighthearted, so uh, trying to credential-mog me or whatever the gently caress your doing is both rude and very very dumb

Marsupial Ape posted:

It’s more like “I don’t feel obligated to engage with a lonely person seeking negative attention.”

why so aggro professor?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Dr.Radical posted:

Can some goons familiar Rebels or I guess even the EU stuff explain what the general deal with the Chimaera is? What makes it special from other star destroyers outside of the bitchin’ decals?

It’s the bitchin’ decals. It was the 90s. We loved decals and shaving our jersey numbers into our hair.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Dr.Radical posted:

Picked crew and esprit de corps, mostly. The decals help with that.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Dr.Radical posted:

AFAIK it's just like any other Star Destroyer, but with a sick paint job. The thing that makes it scary is supposed to be Thrawn.

They don't always pull that part off.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

XYZAB posted:

Ok seriously who makes up these rumors? Who spread them to you? Why do you believe them?

That said, I'm all for anti-force initiatives in star wars, the more of them the better, so this is one dumb rumor I hope is actually true, because seriously, gently caress the force.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Assepoester posted:

Ok seriously who makes up these rumors?

youtubers who need to make like half hour videos out of anything and everything to meet monetization targets

Assepoester posted:

Who spread them to you?

the algorithm

Assepoester posted:

Why do you believe them?

videos long, get lots of views, he makes alot of them about the same subject

basically every media with "lore" is infected with the same cancer, and it'll probably only get more ridiculous and pervasive as AI integration makes it easier and shittier than ever to produce this kind of stuff

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Assepoester posted:

That said, I'm all for anti-force initiatives in star wars, the more of them the better, so this is one dumb rumor I hope is actually true, because seriously, gently caress the force.

If the Will of the Force is a phenomena created by emergent complexity, then it is a force (hur) of nature that can ultimately be quantified. If the Will of the Force is actually sentient and actively loving with people, then it must die.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

XYZAB posted:

There is like 0% chance Kathleen Kennedy has ever heard of the night sisters and like a -500% that she imposed some kind of preference on creative.

It doesn’t track at all with how she behaved as a film producer and it would make less sense for her as a studio head.

I don’t get the rage boner nerds get about Kennedy, it’s never based on anything real and they always miss the things that you could actually make some valid criticisms about.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
My red hot theory is Baylan Skoll wants to use a super powerful macguffin to Kill off the force. Maybe somewhere that has access to the something like The Mortis gods.
I think Shin will turn on him because she really wants to be a force user. Ezra will sweet talk her like he does all the other weird creatures.

Ahsoka, no idea. But She'll get into it with the Nightsisters. and Elsbeth

Baylan has a bit of a Thanos vibe about how he's over it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Ahsoka, no idea. But She'll get into it with the Nightsisters. and Elsbeth

I kind of wanted the Witch Trio to drag Elsbeth about being out of uniform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Madurai posted:

I kind of wanted the Witch Trio to drag Elsbeth about being out of uniform.

Hey, you gotta earn those big hats.