Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Leal posted:

Hell yeah, I got it in a demo from some other game and even with the limitations I'd spend days on it.
It's pretty easy to find as abandonware at this point and it mostly holds up well.

I didn't really realize it at the time, but it does a great job of not pushing you to minmax, always get bigger, or anything similar. Honestly a miracle it ever got made (or turned out well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

endimg with 6 would suck rear end imo

good news, soon we won’t have to.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Remembering the crazy goon who thought everything in the Dark Souls games was a stealth tribute to a (non-existent) forgotten game creator and getting heaps of praise until someone posted "wtf is this poo poo" and they disappeared forever.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Remembering the crazy goon who thought everything in the Dark Souls games was a stealth tribute to a (non-existent) forgotten game creator and getting heaps of praise until someone posted "wtf is this poo poo" and they disappeared forever.

they tried to return at least once and talk about Elden Ring before disappearing forever

Sibyl Disobedience posted:

And finally, as I’ve already made the case, the authorial motivation behind many of these textual elements found in these games makes so much more sense if the central authorial source died during their creation.

To bring things back to Dark Souls for a moment, let’s allow the most narrow of my claims -- that Dark Souls is a tomb. If that were the case, it would have to be dedicated to a pretty spectacular individual, someone like a teacher. Given the context of the game, it would almost certainly be someone who passed on the art of building a world, so it’s worth taking some time to look at what FromSoft has told us about how they go about making these games.

the entire argument is essentially there was a secret trans creator in Japan who has been working behind the scenes for 40 years in video games, never being credited or acknowledged, and Dark Souls is part of a continuous series of references going back to the 1980s about this mysterious yet epically powerful trans person who no one will speak the name of

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I think it was a little wilder than that and they were basically taking common motifs (flowers I think?) as a sign that a mystery uncredited trans woman had shaped Pretty Much Every JRPG Ever Made.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It was less the insane Charlie Pepe Silvia wall then more the enraptured audience in the thread openly embracing the entire idea and offering constant praise.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

When you really really didn't understand Death of the Author

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

someone should have explained how good Hi-Fi Rush is to me before now

Most years Hi-Fi RUSH would be a goty slam dunk. Because it is 2023 it has to compete with Pizza Tower, Remnant 2, Baldur's Gate 3 and Lies of P.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Nice troll. gently caress you.

in 5e, paladins and clerics don't have to have a god to worship, they can just worship nature or w/e. What the gently caress

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
clerics have a god. paladins are just really committed to whatever. maybe there are godless clerics idk bg3 you gotta pick a god though

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Cranappleberry posted:

in 5e, paladins and clerics don't have to have a god to worship, they can just worship nature or w/e. What the gently caress

I think it was D&D 3E that introduced the idea that clerics could just have faith in, like, Goodness or something, which everyone I knew ignored because it was dumb as hell

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
it's called being a druid and it's wrong

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Cranappleberry posted:

It actually owns to get divine powers because you swore an oath to always mow your lawn with gusto

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Psycho Landlord posted:

It actually owns to get divine powers because you swore an oath to always mow your lawn with gusto

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

pentyne posted:

It was less the insane Charlie Pepe Silvia wall then more the enraptured audience in the thread openly embracing the entire idea and offering constant praise.

yeah that was gross and dumb and hilarious all at once.

there is a sizable percentage of goons who are so insanely credulous it is a wonder they are able to function on their own.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

THIS MGS REMASTER ALREADY LOOKING GOOD!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

SirSamVimes posted:

Most years Hi-Fi RUSH would be a goty slam dunk. Because it is 2023 it has to compete with Pizza Tower, Remnant 2, Baldur's Gate 3 and Lies of P.

CS2 is coming out this year. Valve told me so

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ilmucche posted:

CS2 is coming out this year. Valve told me so
indeed

https://twitter.com/counterstrike/status/1704541038633959492

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

Cranappleberry posted:

it's called being a druid and it's wrong

If being a druid is wrong, I refuse to be right.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Druids rise up

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the sex ghost posted:

Druids rise up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_gObHt1uZA

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!
we live in an ecology

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

I think it was D&D 3E that introduced the idea that clerics could just have faith in, like, Goodness or something, which everyone I knew ignored because it was dumb as hell

One of the cosmic horror apocalypse creatures in 3e is some sort of snake monster who got imprisoned because he asked 'so hey why do people worship the gods when you can get just as much power without them?' And the gods got real pissy about that.

His master plan was to escape his seal and then go to hell and kill a demon who had beef with. I do not think WotC's writers understood they needed to make the campaign megavillains into actual villains.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

we live in an ecology

You're laughing. A sawmill had to shut down and fire all its workers because a swarm of beavers chewed up their wooden building, and you're laughing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

What movie or TV show is this a still from?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Psycho Landlord posted:

Mr Hootington posted:

What movie or TV show is this a still from?

There's a clue above

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
The Lawnmower Man. Like Flowers for Algernon but so bad Stephen King successfully sued to have his name removed from the movie.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Cranappleberry posted:

The Lawnmower Man. Like Flowers for Algernon but so bad Stephen King successfully sued to have his name removed from the movie.

Thanks. I should watch lawnmower man for October this year.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

pentyne posted:

they tried to return at least once and talk about Elden Ring before disappearing forever

the entire argument is essentially there was a secret trans creator in Japan who has been working behind the scenes for 40 years in video games, never being credited or acknowledged, and Dark Souls is part of a continuous series of references going back to the 1980s about this mysterious yet epically powerful trans person who no one will speak the name of

Deadnaming the dead must cause some high level curse poo poo to happen or something

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

pentyne posted:

I tried reading the posts once, but it was just too dumb. I didn't make it far. It was also a shitload of words.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Antivehicular posted:

There's a bunch of stuff in 5E that's less "here's how the world totally works" and more "here's a different way you can play, if you want." It's about tailoring the world to what you and your group actually want to play while still playing the premade content.

Like, I think most of the gods are pretty dumb and don't like playing characters who've suborned themselves to a higher power. This kinda locks me out of multiple classes if it's not possible to be a paladin of being nice to people or whatever. Even if it occasionally leads DMs to gently caress with me by having my fervent un-faith cause the birth of a god of atheism.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There's a bunch of stuff in 5E that's less "here's how the world totally works" and more "here's a different way you can play, if you want." It's about tailoring the world to what you and your group actually want to play while still playing the premade content.

Like, I think most of the gods are pretty dumb and don't like playing characters who've suborned themselves to a higher power. This kinda locks me out of multiple classes if it's not possible to be a paladin of being nice to people or whatever. Even if it occasionally leads DMs to gently caress with me by having my fervent un-faith cause the birth of a god of atheism.

A true worshipper of Deneir I see.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If I didn't want to worship a God I simply wouldn't play the classes based around it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Can I worship avarice as a cleric or paladin?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
atheist paladin fighting in the name of a non-denominational higher power (reddit)

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

That Works posted:

Deadnaming the dead must cause some high level curse poo poo to happen or something

i'm sorry, i thought you said dredd naming

also, devlin waugh needs a live action adaptation.

NoiseAnnoys fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 21, 2023

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Can I worship avarice as a cleric or paladin?

the existence of the prosperity gospel suggests that you can

go talk to Joel Osteen, he’ll give you the quest

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i only worship the god of fear and hunger. :cabot:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's extremely common to ignore most of whatever fluff D&D has for its gods and make up your own anyway, a good idea to have the domain rules be flexible. And they also gave up on having different paladin subclasses for every corner of the alignment grid, because that poo poo was silly even by the standards of arbitrary bullshit in D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
rule 0 is a lie. Just ask anyone who posts in Trad Games.