Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

did you play it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Cyberpunk was ftw.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

If you gotta play games now before you declare them trash then we're all doomed.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

did you play it?

I played it for 5 hours on launch and got a refund, then I played it for about two more hours some months back on a free play weekend.

Seltzer posted:

I DLed the 5 hour trial to make sure that what I remembered disliking about Cyberpunk was correct. Luckily (?) despite refunding it, my save data synched and I didn't have to do the intro. The game despite being praised for visuals has issues on consoles, aggressive pop in and weird texture issues. The improved driving still feels like poo poo. Enemy AI, Police AI, and civilian AI are still dumb as rocks, I encountered like 3 glitches in 10 minutes of play, and the menus still suck rear end and hurt to look it. I'll play more but I'm sure the city feels empty as well. At the end of the day even if all the previous stuff I mentioned was at an acceptable level it's a game where you attack bullet sponge enemies to pick up the same bat you have but with 4 more DPS and that type of game will never be for me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I played CP2077 on PC at launch and it worked fine, but it was under-done when you left the critical path. I'm keen to try it again with a better levelling system and ai tho. If I like the updates I might even go hog wild and pay for the Idris story.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

It’s almost as if a large number of people who post about video games don’t know what they’re talking about.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

whats that supposed to mean?

It means I found Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty to be more visually and aesthetically impressive than Starfield, moreso than I expected going into it directly after playing Starfield with places like Neon fresh in my brain.

Also better combat and story.

Somehow manages to have worse driving than Starfield despite Starfield having zero driving though.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
they are doing completely different aesthetic things though? I landed on a moon of a gas giant and the thing was floating above serenely while I looked at it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

they are doing completely different aesthetic things though? I landed on a moon of a gas giant and the thing was floating above serenely while I looked at it.

You will note that is why I specifically mentioned Neon.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yes, neon is a small part of an otherwise significantly larger game made by a studio with less employees.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Poor plucky Bethesda. If only someone would take pity on this small indie studio.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'm psyched that Vanillaware Ogre Battle is coming to Xbox because it is my preferred current gen console.

bees x1000 posted:

I guess the good times are over? Microsoft doesn't like my automated search extension.

In case anyone was wondering, my rewards account was unlocked after 9 days of 'good faith'. Got my Xbox credit redeemed and I'm out.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tankbuster posted:

those are some lovely rear end graphics

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I know. My PC is old and is designed for playing paradox games.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's so weird seeing so many posts about how CP2077 was great on launch actually given I remember when it came out and it was a torrent of people making GBS threads on the game. And when people say the same thing about No Man's Sky.

I dunno where all the people who were actually loving those games on launch were, cause I don't think I saw much support for them at all. I like both but at launch they were both games I tried to play, then gave up until much later because how broken and unplayable they were.

There's no way to know who is consistent, who changed their mind over time, and who changed their opinion retroactively, and there's always the common scenario that the sheer amount of shitposting about how bad a game is eclipses the general audience projection of the game and skews it towards a smaller but more vocal opinion.

I'm just rambling now, so I'll say I think it's great that the Shid & Fart company made gamepass because it's rad as hell.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I dunno the people liking the game were probably just playing it instead of bitching online

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

priznat posted:

I dunno the people liking the game were probably just playing it instead of bitching online

It’s always this. I played it on pc at launch and had almost no bugs, just wished I could leave RT on and get above 20fps in the city.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Yeah Since NMS and Cyberpunk weren't in gamepass I held off on them until they were on a 50% off sale and by then they had a few patches and loved them both

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

It's so weird seeing so many posts about how CP2077 was great on launch actually given I remember when it came out and it was a torrent of people making GBS threads on the game. And when people say the same thing about No Man's Sky.

I dunno where all the people who were actually loving those games on launch were, cause I don't think I saw much support for them at all. I like both but at launch they were both games I tried to play, then gave up until much later because how broken and unplayable they were.

There's no way to know who is consistent, who changed their mind over time, and who changed their opinion retroactively, and there's always the common scenario that the sheer amount of shitposting about how bad a game is eclipses the general audience projection of the game and skews it towards a smaller but more vocal opinion.

I'm just rambling now, so I'll say I think it's great that the Shid & Fart company made gamepass because it's rad as hell.
I don't think it's unfair to say that Cyberpunk had a really rough launch (especially on base PS4). I also don't think it's unfair to say that some people liked that original version despite the issues. Combine that with next-gen support, myriad patches and the Netflix anime coaxing more people into playing it and it's understandable how the perception of the game has changed over time.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I was so loving hyped for No Man's Sky, bought it day 1. I've never been so massively disappointed by a game in my life. The gameplay loop was just boring as gently caress and there was nothing to see at all. I still hated it after a bunch of patches which people claimed fixed the game. I'm so glad that Starfield doesn't have a fuel mechanic, it makes NMS feel so tedious. Who cares if you can fly anywhere and land anywhere if there's no reason to do so at all.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I really didn't like CP77 at launch. Played it last year and it's one of my favorite games ever now. Can't wait to do another playthrough starting tomorrow.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Kins posted:

I don't think it's unfair to say that Cyberpunk had a really rough launch (especially on base PS4). I also don't think it's unfair to say that some people liked that original version despite the issues. Combine that with next-gen support, myriad patches and the Netflix anime coaxing more people into playing it and it's understandable how the perception of the game has changed over time.

The launch was so rough Stadia was the best way to play for the first few weeks.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The S hit that very sweet spot of causal gaming console. You're getting next gen-ish at the cost of a mid-tier card. It's not that hard to comprehend.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My understanding was never that the S didn't sell well, it was that developers didn't like dealing with it because it means they have to target it as the 'low point' for releases.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ImpAtom posted:

My understanding was never that the S didn't sell well, it was that developers didn't like dealing with it because it means they have to target it as the 'low point' for releases.

I feel like if you can't ship a game passably on the S, which has a relatively modern 8 core CPU and GPU somewhere around an RTX 3050 / 2060 / 1660 Super, you're also leaving behind most of the low-end PC gaming market and most laptops currently in use. You're already having to scale down to hit those with a sub-$300 GPU, or worse a GPU more than 3 years old, so why not find a way to make the Series S work?

I could be out of the loop and maybe those people don't buy PC games, but given that "How does big new release run on the Steam Deck" has been a common discussion over the last year, hitting Series S should be a breeze for anything targeting a GTX 1060 as its min spec in the first place.

Here's the current top of the Steam Hardware Survey and what PC gamers are packing right now:

Plenty of these are less powerful than a Series S. GTX 1050 Ti is hanging in there in top 10 most common GPUs.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

S is what is probably saving console gaming right now. It will be interesting to see if the xbss 1TB moves the needle, because for 50 bucks more you can get a full on PS5.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
isnt there supposed to be an xbox conference going on right now at the game show in Tokyo?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

90sgamer posted:

isnt there supposed to be an xbox conference going on right now at the game show in Tokyo?

Sorry I had a meeting conflict so they canceled the show since there would be no attendees

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
japan has restarted sakoku so xbox isn't allowed there anymore.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

Barudak posted:

Sorry I had a meeting conflict so they canceled the show since there would be no attendees

You have brought great shame to our American represenative in Japan

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

90sgamer posted:

Starts in three hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KK-1j_brg0

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

I feel like if you can't ship a game passably on the S, which has a relatively modern 8 core CPU and GPU somewhere around an RTX 3050 / 2060 / 1660 Super, you're also leaving behind most of the low-end PC gaming market and most laptops currently in use. You're already having to scale down to hit those with a sub-$300 GPU, or worse a GPU more than 3 years old, so why not find a way to make the Series S work?

I could be out of the loop and maybe those people don't buy PC games, but given that "How does big new release run on the Steam Deck" has been a common discussion over the last year, hitting Series S should be a breeze for anything targeting a GTX 1060 as its min spec in the first place.

Here's the current top of the Steam Hardware Survey and what PC gamers are packing right now:

Plenty of these are less powerful than a Series S. GTX 1050 Ti is hanging in there in top 10 most common GPUs.

The issue there is that you can reliably go 'sorry your PC can't run it' but not 'sorry your console can't run it.'

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
CD Project Red had a lot to live up to after Witcher 3 and I don't know what they could have put out to beat that hype but boy did they decisively whiff.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

I hope something cool happens.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
phil spencer assassinated by insane otaku with a katana?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

ImpAtom posted:

The issue there is that you can reliably go 'sorry your PC can't run it' but not 'sorry your console can't run it.'

i thought the bigger issue was trying to hit the 8GB RAM target more than anything, even at 1440/1080

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Tankbuster posted:

phil spencer assassinated by insane otaku with a katana?

I'd prefer a few shadow drops on Game Pass, but I have an open mind.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Okay, so I actually LIKE Bethesda games but I am so far having a tough time with Starfield. The constant menu switching, the jerkiness of travelling between planets, the lack of depth/colour in any of the characters - yawn city.

What’s the one thing I can do to try and hook me in? I’m 15 hours in and have been hanging around Mars, mostly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I played Skyrim for hundreds of hours across three console gens but I just can’t do a 30fps shooter game in 2023, I simply shan’t. Once Phil sends the Xbox Tech group in to help the lazy devs hit 40, we might be in business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

yung lambic posted:

Okay, so I actually LIKE Bethesda games but I am so far having a tough time with Starfield. The constant menu switching, the jerkiness of travelling between planets, the lack of depth/colour in any of the characters - yawn city.

What’s the one thing I can do to try and hook me in? I’m 15 hours in and have been hanging around Mars, mostly.

Probably get your rear end off Mars.

The UC Vanguard quest line is pretty sweet. One of the best I've seen from Bethesda. I'm about 100 hours in and having a ball, but that quest line has certainly been a highlight.