Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

smellmycheese posted:

Privy Councillor to the Royal Sausage

Never forget the tampon comment.

69 probably a suitable page snipe for the topic at hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

nice

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Noice

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Nice

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Niiice

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Any recommendations for a water-pipe-in-wall-detector under about £40? (It's ok if it does other detecting stuff too but we need it to do that!)
Bosch Truvo is £38 at B&Q and Amazon, mainly wires and studs but will do copper, iron, and lead pipes (not plastic ones tho).

All the £15-£20 ones are the same electronics in a different colour box.

Mega Comrade posted:

I was gonna make a point that maybe they meant the debate within the trans community that if society was more accepting of trans people, maybe some might not feel the need to make changes to their body to "conform" to societies ideas of what a man or women has to be.

But then I remembered it's the guardian...
Yeah "surgery on healthy bodies" is the shibboleth there. It's one step away from "big pharma invented trans on purpose to sell surgeries" which itself is circling the drain of "Hebrew speaking iguanas run all medicine" crankery.

And it is never ever applied to healthy intersex people being pressured to have surgery, and I really doubt they'd be having the same reaction to watching a show called Eye Doctors and someone getting the flap and zap. Because *puts on tweed coat and Austrian accent* it is their genital obsession.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/CharlieRose1/status/1704796398678380723

GBeebies have finally acknowledged the allegations, though no action is being taken at the moment

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Dear Founts of All Knowledge ITT:

Any recommendations for a water-pipe-in-wall-detector under about £40? (It's ok if it does other detecting stuff too but we need it to do that!)

We sealed a leak in a cold water pipe in the corridor ceiling a couple of weeks ago and now there is 'fluffy stuff' - bubbly plaster and a clear water mark (not mould) - on some of the walls downstream of that pipe - on the wall outside & inside my flat :( - so I suspect that by fixing that leak, water is now finding another way out but everything is sealed in so would like to know if there are any pipes behind some of the corridor walls before getting a guy or guyess to drill holes randomly!

I've got one of these that I've used approximately twice.
Seemed to work, it definitely beeps where you shouldn't drill

https://amzn.eu/d/iceueQt

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1704522548648509467

I love the fact check :allears:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lmao that they thought making train bogies automated was somehow a technological revolution when trains inherently can't do anything but follow the loving track it's on - just upgrade the signalling systems you utter nonce pleb fucks.
Conversely this poo poo would never work in America because 90% of their rail network is a one way line

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I suspect the insulation one means they're getting rid of all the schemes to help pay for insulation / heat pumps / solar panels etc.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Of course the only thing that actually changed was benefiting private landlords and keeping rented accommodation lovely. Of course.

Seven different wastemen.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Renfield posted:

Both of them have sons called Charles that the adulterer is God-father to.

A three-way war of succession fought with ornamental swords and Land Rovers could be extremely silly and fun

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Seven different wastemen.

Sort them all into the same bin imo

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

❌ Properly insulated homes

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Rishi Sunak broke into my house and stole 5 of my bins, now my children are crying and i have nowhere to put food waste. I am never voting for him again, oh wait.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Enjoy the obsession with "sorting" as if people just shove all their rubbish in the same place and then have to sift through it like at a recycling centre at a later point.

Even back during the 40s Blitz spirit days you'd put your waste in a different place at the point it was generated, paper and wood shavings for kindling, food scraps for digging in, glass bottles to rinse and reuse, metal for repairs or the scrap man. I hope this isn't entitled Boomer Britain whining again.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

A new approach to Net Zero - Never reaching net zero

Guavanaut posted:

I hope this isn't entitled Boomer Britain whining again.

You already know the answer, until we either assist them to early deaths or make time go faster it's going to be the same poo poo ad nauseum

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

grobbo posted:

Does anyone have any alternative recs for good, in-depth arts & entertainment writing and essaywork that's regularly updating? It doesn't need to be high-falutin' / should ideally be less staid than the TLS, but I'd like it to be interesting.

My favourite blog, Asking the Wrong Questions. She writes about film, TV, and books, with some really great (and politically/morally sound) analysis. Updates semi-regularly. NB her reviews generally contain spoilers.

Her most recent post was a discussion of tech billionaires in sci-fi.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Diet Crack posted:

Zero's Paradox.

Also:
Guav & Dreddy - thanks for the gadget recs.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 21, 2023

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

sinky posted:

❌ Homes

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Quick question - remember when we lived in dystopia and the tories were all lining up to tell us about how many drugs they used to do to try and seem human before enacting laws to make possession of weed the death penalty(exg), on the whim of an idea conjured kneeling by a toilet seat railing lines? Did Braverman chime in?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Diet Crack posted:

You already know the answer, until we either assist them to early deaths or make time go faster it's going to be the same poo poo ad nauseum

Net Zero is a made up concept anyway, you can't play accounting tricks with nature. It's just a way of carrying on selling fossil fuels while capital plays both sides with the "green economy", instead of the apparently unthinkable and unimaginable solution, degrowth. We're mining the asteroid to create jobs.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
There is something terribly and brutally funny about the government finding itself in a position where its grim decades of success have led to it running out of too-strong-and-yet-too-weak ideological opponents to quash.

In the past EU bureaucrats would be blamed for trying to force these sort of bendy-banana environmental proposals, or a Labour government, but now in 2023 the Tories have no choice but to ritualistically overcome a plot and an enemy which is both nobody and, somehow, themselves: a conspiracy of unidentifiable yet unfeasibly woke Conservative decision-makers who have thankfully been stopped.

It's very 'the king goes out to tell the angry peasants he's put a stop to that terrible advisor who was raising their taxes' vibes.

killerwhat posted:

My favourite blog, Asking the Wrong Questions. She writes about film, TV, and books, with some really great (and politically/morally sound) analysis. Updates semi-regularly. NB her reviews generally contain spoilers.

Her most recent post was a discussion of tech billionaires in sci-fi.

Thank you very much, I'll check her blog out!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Its funny how 'The Queen' will always refer to the lich sleeping until the time is right to return, and not ever to Queen Camilla.

I heard them say "the king and queen" on the radio the other day and it's still weird, like sure you can say that but yeah 'the queen' is probably gonna be that until I die.

Also going to have trouble with "since the auld king died" in a few years. Good reason to abolish the monarchy in service of language

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Dear Founts of All Knowledge ITT:

We sealed a leak in a cold water pipe in the corridor ceiling a couple of weeks ago and now there is 'fluffy stuff' - bubbly plaster and a clear water mark (not mould) - on some of the walls downstream of that pipe - on the wall outside & inside my flat :( - so I suspect that by fixing that leak, water is now finding another way out but everything is sealed in so would like to know if there are any pipes behind some of the corridor walls before getting a guy or guyess to drill holes randomly!

As far as I know those are just metal detectors? So like, a cheap toy metal detector should work or just a stack of magnets if you have some on hand?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

grobbo posted:

In the past EU bureaucrats would be blamed for trying to force these sort of bendy-banana environmental proposals, or a Labour government, but now in 2023 the Tories have no choice but to ritualistically overcome a plot and an enemy which is both nobody and, somehow, themselves: a conspiracy of unidentifiable yet unfeasibly woke Conservative decision-makers who have thankfully been stopped.
The 'woke blob'.

e:

OwlFancier posted:

As far as I know those are just metal detectors? So like, a cheap toy metal detector should work or just a stack of magnets if you have some on hand?
Stack of magnets won't work for non-ferrous metals like copper without some Feynman level "spin the magnets and measure the drag" tricks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Someone should make a law against non ferrous metals evading my stack of magnets. What did I nick them all from work for?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You definitely can detect copper pipe with a stack of magnets, but the how and why would be worthy of a Feynman Fun to Imagine in itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZAsmNeREXA

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I mean, I wish him nothing but the best with this gambit

https://twitter.com/bbcnews/status/1704797562685808750?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

He was in the kitchen and a rube goldberg sequence of events ended up with him being tied to the bottom of a truck.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh, also happy "eight years since it came out our prime minister hosed a dead pig" day 🐖

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

He didn't realize he had escaped because the outside of prison was just as miserable as the inside.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I mean he's not wrong, this is the actual prisoner island, not Australia.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

grobbo posted:

It's very 'the king goes out to tell the angry peasants he's put a stop to that terrible advisor who was raising their taxes' vibes.

If Emmanuel Goldstein didn't exist, Big Brother would have to invent them? :thunk:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

:toot:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

"Your honour, my client's spy handlers figured out a way to play his activation phrase on the kitchen radio and activated his Treadstone programming.
This obviously falls under the defence of non-insane Autonomisim."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Teddington Candidate

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Guardian speedily edited out that terf shite from the Sex Education review (and closed and deleted the comments)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1704518698407465335

erm.... :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Necrothatcher posted:

The Guardian speedily edited out that terf shite from the Sex Education review (and closed and deleted the comments)

lol, the sentence about relentless positivity reads as nonsense now that it's following on from the waiting lists and costs bit. I'm glad other people noticed it, at least.