Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There were already seeds of the right-wing turn in the first one, though. "Nothing is over! Nothing! You just don't turn it off! It wasn't my war! You asked me, I didn't ask you! And I did what I had to do to win! But somebody wouldn't let us win! And I come back to the world and I see all those maggots at the airport, protesting me, spitting. Calling me baby killer and all kinds of vile crap! Who are they to protest me, huh? Who are they? Unless they've been me and been there and know what the hell they're yelling about!"

Which, incidentally, is only 20 or so words less than Rambo says in the entire of First Blood Part II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

TGG posted:

It's why The Last Action Hero is the best Arnold movie. It knows exactly what it is, it has one of the best villain actors of the era in Charles Dance and it just rolls with it being nonsense. Not a GREAT movie by any stretch but it nailed what it was. It could've been action move Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but it never quite got there.

I have always called The Last Action Hero - "The thinking man's version of Purple Rose of Cairo"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

TGG posted:

It's why The Last Action Hero is the best Arnold movie. It knows exactly what it is, it has one of the best villain actors of the era in Charles Dance and it just rolls with it being nonsense. Not a GREAT movie by any stretch but it nailed what it was. It could've been action move Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but it never quite got there.

That was the movie that, as a child, made me decide if I ever lost an eye, I was going to have a bunch of fun ones, like the smiley face.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

TGG posted:

Was Charles Dance the villain? I thought it was F. Murray Abraham. He killed Mozart, you know.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

TGG posted:

The Last Action Hero is one of my faves and is criminally underrated. It definitely gets weaker once they return to the real world, but it's still very good.
It - along with the two Terminator movies - is also clear proof that Arnold was absolutely a good actor and he either chose or was directed to give his distinctive "bad" performances in most of his other films. Like just compare Arnie and Patrick in T2 to how most other people play Terminators - they come across as actual inhuman machines, while most actors just come across bored or stoic. Nailing that performance is actually really difficult.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Well of course YOU'VE got opinions on robots

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sick of Applebees posted:

Well of course YOU'VE got opinions on robots

And on nailing the performance.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Meaty Ore posted:

Was Charles Dance the villain? I thought it was F. Murray Abraham. He killed Mozart, you know.

Wow you're right, gently caress Murray Abraham.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The Last Action Hero is one of my faves and is criminally underrated. It definitely gets weaker once they return to the real world, but it's still very good.
It - along with the two Terminator movies - is also clear proof that Arnold was absolutely a good actor and he either chose or was directed to give his distinctive "bad" performances in most of his other films. Like just compare Arnie and Patrick in T2 to how most other people play Terminators - they come across as actual inhuman machines, while most actors just come across bored or stoic. Nailing that performance is actually really difficult.

All I've seen from that movie is Charles Dances "I've just shot a man! I did it on purpose!" scene, and I know that the rest of it cannot possibly live up to that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah Last Action Hero is very enjoyable but suffers a bit from the "it was ahead of its time" pitches that throw the highlights at you.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

darkwasthenight posted:

We managed a pretty much sexless version of Grease at school too.

One of the year 1 classes at my daughter's school performed a Grease medley today. It was heavily remixed and edited.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Meaty Ore posted:

I thought it was F. Murray Abraham. He killed Mozart, you know.
And if that wasn't bad enough, he destroyed the lost storehouse of Archimedes.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Like just compare Arnie and Patrick in T2 to how most other people play Terminators - they come across as actual inhuman machines, while most actors just come across bored or stoic. Nailing that performance is actually really difficult.

Robert Patrick really nailed that role. I had watched T2 many times before seeing the Westworld movie. I read somewhere that Patrick based his approach off Yul Brynner's, and I can believe; they both had great performances.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Meaty Ore posted:

Dance is definitely the main villain. I'm pretty sure F. Murray Abraham is only openly antagonistic in a single scene, right when he starts monologuing he's shot and killed by a cartoon cat.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I wonder sometimes how T2 would have turned out with the original choice of Blackie Lawless of WASP as the T-1000 (vetoed by Arnold for being taller than him). Certainly the T-1000 role goes against the horny wild man persona Blackie cultivated as a metal musician.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh the plus side Blackie would have brought his own pyrotechnics for the steel mill scene.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Meaty Ore posted:

The funny thing about Amadeus is that the real story of who commissioned the Requiem is far funnier than it being Salieri - A man called Count Von Walsegg actually commissioned it for his wife's funeral, as he wanted to pass it off as his own work as he was an infamous plagiarist. Apparently it took a colleague about 12 months of bugging him before he finally admitted that it was Mozart's work. https://concert-vienna.com/blogs/vi...fe%27s%20death.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I watched Grease Live back a few years ago when live TV musicals were a thing for a few months, and the work of the sanitation department on the script was more fascinating than the performances.

Edit: Just watch this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBzFq3M291U

evobatman has a new favorite as of 18:53 on Sep 21, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Offler posted:

Dance is definitely the main villain. I'm pretty sure F. Murray Abraham is only openly antagonistic in a single scene, right when he starts monologuing he's shot and killed by a cartoon cat.

You mean the one scene where where the joke you quoted comes from?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
“In the real world, the villains can win” is an incredible subject that the movie is not really willing to go all the way on since it’s still a mostly family-friendly action movie at its core, but I can definitely still appreciate it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I dunno, It's a Wonderful Life is played at Christmas time for millions and Mr. Potter still kinda wins at the end (or he's certainly $5000 richer)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I watch fiction because I want to go to a world where evil loses for once.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aces High posted:

I dunno, It's a Wonderful Life is played at Christmas time for millions and Mr. Potter still kinda wins at the end (or he's certainly $5000 richer)

That's definitely the weirdest part of the movie, there's no resolution to Uncle Billy losing the money. Except for the old SNL sketch where Billy remembers and they all go to beat up Mr Potter.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

“In the real world, the villains can win” is an incredible subject that the movie is not really willing to go all the way on since it’s still a mostly family-friendly action movie at its core, but I can definitely still appreciate it.

It's especially notable in the first bit of Dance walking aroun in the real world and he sees a strung-out teenage hooker and a hobo getting killed for his shoes and he's visibly kinda shocked and disgusted, because he's from a universe of grandiose cinematic supervillainy, banal real-world crime is kinda upsetting to his PG-13 sensibilities. At least until he realizes the implications that he's now in a universe where crime and misery are allowed to be commonplace to the point of banality.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That’s one thing I really appreciate about It’s a Wonderful Life: it’s very honest about how disappointment and occasional misery are part of life. George has aspirations that go unfulfilled, and it’s not like he decides he’s better off—he just accepts that sometimes the capitalists cause a depression and sometimes there’s a world war, and you just have to keep living. I thought it would be saccharine, but there’s a little bit of everything in it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TGG posted:

"I just shot a man, and I did it on purpose"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I AM GRANDO posted:

That’s one thing I really appreciate about It’s a Wonderful Life: it’s very honest about how disappointment and occasional misery are part of life. George has aspirations that go unfulfilled, and it’s not like he decides he’s better off—he just accepts that sometimes the capitalists cause a depression and sometimes there’s a world war, and you just have to keep living. I thought it would be saccharine, but there’s a little bit of everything in it.

Yeah it's a really fuckin good movie. George has to give up on his early dreams, but the world needs him anyway, and life remains worth living.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

One of my dreams in life is to go to a funeral, lean over the casket, then yell to the mourners in Arnold voice, "This man is not deaaaad!!"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So many Last Action Hero quotes, but not the best one?

“If God was a villain…he’d be me.”

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The chief is just mad because you blew up more of the city than usual

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

the_steve posted:

The chief is just mad because you blew up more of the city than usual

https://youtu.be/XGoU7urNTbI?si=Qhq9uveODBDWdqSs

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah Last Action Hero is very enjoyable but suffers a bit from the "it was ahead of its time" pitches that throw the highlights at you.

this but for Megamind. the idea of an incel getting superpowers and deciding to kill the girl he's lusted after is pretty intense. I don't know if it would be made today because some assholes might get the wrong message.

and it has some great lines too. one of the best being the fish minion confronting Megamind about lying to the girl:

"And what's going to happen when Roxanne finds out you're not who you say you are?"

"She's never going to find out! THAT'S THE POINT OF LYING."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Megamind has a lot going on in a relatively simple setup. Quite a lot of subtle themes about choice and social roles. I feel one subtle bit they coulda made more of is Roxanne is the obvious choice for a good-natured human to empower if Megamind really wants a new superhero to square off against, she's arguably more heroic than Metroman- certainly more motivated- but Megamind has her solidly categorised as the damsel in distress in his mind.

Also interesting in this age of a bunch of 'What if Superman but EEEEVIL' takes is that you get a 'What if Superman but neutral' one; Metroman isn't a bad person at all, and people pick up on that, but he's bored stiff and burnt out on being a superhero all the time. (Exactly the reason why Clark Kent keeps his secret identity, incidentally) There's some fun theorising on When they find him in his lair and he's learning to play guitar, and is comically bad at it- but of course he is, he's only just gotten started. Seems an implication that music is one of the few challenges he's encountered that his powers don't immediately trivialise, and that's why he's interested in it, as he's actively learning with instructional videos and practicing while getting some of the first time to himself he's had in forever.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Megamind has a lot going on in a relatively simple setup. Quite a lot of subtle themes about choice and social roles. I feel one subtle bit they coulda made more of is Roxanne is the obvious choice for a good-natured human to empower if Megamind really wants a new superhero to square off against, she's arguably more heroic than Metroman- certainly more motivated- but Megamind has her solidly categorised as the damsel in distress in his mind.

Also interesting in this age of a bunch of 'What if Superman but EEEEVIL' takes is that you get a 'What if Superman but neutral' one; Metroman isn't a bad person at all, and people pick up on that, but he's bored stiff and burnt out on being a superhero all the time. (Exactly the reason why Clark Kent keeps his secret identity, incidentally) There's some fun theorising on When they find him in his lair and he's learning to play guitar, and is comically bad at it- but of course he is, he's only just gotten started. Seems an implication that music is one of the few challenges he's encountered that his powers don't immediately trivialise, and that's why he's interested in it, as he's actively learning with instructional videos and practicing while getting some of the first time to himself he's had in forever.

Also both him and Megamind are really bad at branding. He names himself Music Man because that way "He gets to keep his logo" and Megamind ends up naming Hal "Tighten" because it's the only name he can trademark - since the other media with him spell it like that, I like to think that Titan spelled correctly was already taken because that's funnier to me than Hal misspelling it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BioEnchanted posted:

Also both him and Megamind are really bad at branding. He names himself Music Man because that way "He gets to keep his logo" and Megamind ends up naming Hal "Tighten" because it's the only name he can trademark - since the other media with him spell it like that, I like to think that Titan spelled correctly was already taken because that's funnier to me than Hal misspelling it.

Naw it's revealed that Megamind's plan was to call him Titan and Hal just doesn't know words goodly

They actually both pronounce it slightly differently, you can hear Megamind pronounce it with an 'a' and Hal pronounce it was an 'e'

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i still loving love when Space-Dad gives Titan a very tiny outfit; "I have a son?"

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

The movie is good, Pixies song is good and Ebert's last two lines in his review good, but I'll never stop giving Fight Club poo poo for this lmao:

quote:

We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives.

:allears:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He’s supposed to be a fascist preying on the insecurities of failed men. I don’t think you’re supposed to find Brad Pitt’s insights correct within the context of the movie, although it was probably much harder to see in 1999.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Who knew capitalism is spiritually empty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's hard to believe these days for anyone under the age of 40 or so but there was a brief period in the prosperous Western world, let's say from 1991-2001, where people believed that most of society's major problems were pretty much "solved" and the struggle was for purpose in an increasingly automated, soulless world. Reality Bites, Office Space, Rent, Fight Club, even the Matrix to a certain extent were all the hallmarks of this particular Gen X end of history mindset in the 90s.